May 2020 Moms
Options

Transition to non-public group

Re: Transition to non-public group

• Options
    Sorry, late to this convo. The app has been a nightmare the past week, I am sure I missed lots.

1st, I agree about the timing, Feb 1st seems awfully soon. We had many new folks joining the last few weeks and actively participating.

2nd, I am not super happy with the app but will stick it out until we decide to move on to the next group. When the time comes I would prefer we move on to FB rather than PG. 

My last BMB move to FB when the babies were a few weeks old. It became so exclusive that we lost a lot of people, you had to somehow prove yourself and that you had participated enough. A few queen bees made the choice and many people for left out...not cool.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have two bmb's on my fb for Dec 16 and Jun 18, we did have to weed out one strange person in J18 but it happened pretty quickly with little fanfare. Idk why people want to be strange and join groups when they don't have babies, but both groups I am in were simply concerned with making sure everyone was the real deal before we got too personal. Dec 16 moved not long after babies were born and June 18 we moved while we were still pregnant (around now-ish) and the board here did trickle off because we were all on fb. It wasn't sad though because we were still together. FB is just better because most of everyone's on there anyway and the app isn't as buggy + it's easier to follow. In both groups we've got folks that have dummy FB's just for the purpose of the bmb and it isn't a big deal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I'm kinda late to this conversation. I struggle with TB a lot because it's not super easy to use. Also, half the time I cant get the board to open for me. As I'm typing this, I wonder if it's actually going to let me post this time. I would be more active if the app would consistently work for me. 

Trigger warning

me: 28 dh: 34
    married since October 2015-started trying immediately
    dx: PCOS, anovulatory
    rx: provera metformin progesterone
    *TW*
    BFP August 2016- early mc- Enoch Matthis
    1 clomid cycle (March 2017)
    BFP March 2017  ~  EDD December 13, 2017
    di/di TWINS!!!!! vanishing twin- Hannah Jordan
    DS-Nov 23, 2017- emergency induction-- Pre-eclampsia
    *End TW*
    BFP Sept.2019

• Options
    I generally spend more time on FB and have been finding it hard to keep up and keep in to TB the last while, same as some above posters. But how and who determines who gets to be in the new group, wherever it may be? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just joined the group maybe a week ago, but agree that the app is lacking and I would definitely be more active on a FB private group.
  • Options
    As far as threads go, in my FB BMB we still have them. We start most with a photo so you can find them in the photos section. Most of the conversation happens in Randoms, though. People can also post whatever they want outside of a thread (there are only 55 of us, and probably 35-40 that are pretty active) which is usually what people do when they need specific or urgent advice. We restart the randoms thread when it gets to 1000 posts because that's when FB gets wonky. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    catem07catem07 member
    edited January 2020
    (I'm meeting up with someone from April 2017 on Wednesday. We have a map of what city everyone lives in and people tend to try to meet-up if they're going to be nearby for work/vacation/visiting friends or family.) 

ETA: a lot of us also send Christmas cards to each other, which is so nice and also tends to be funny for our husbands/partners who are like, uhh, who are these people?

We basically did 1, 2, 5, 7, and 8 from @shamrocandroll's process. I don't recall anyone having to make a FB, I think everyone had one. 

• Options
    @catem07 Oooh yes, we did the map thing as well!  It's been super helpful in meeting up with other ladies during work trips and vacations!  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    Man I missed the train on this post but definitely feel like a facebook group would be beneficial! The app crashes often when I am writing a response, ready whenever you guys are! 
  • Options
    Yes to everything you just said @jhysmath. And maybe I'm just a magical unicorn, but 90% of the time, I have no issues with the app. So I would much rather feel like we had a vetting process before jumping right to FB.
  • Options
    @ruby696 what kind of phone do you have? it sucks on the iPhone (at least on mine). 

• Options
    Ah see, yet another reason I hate iPhones 😉 I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 (I think it's a 9?). Sometimes if I'm using a poor wireless signal I have issues (and same with all other apps), but for the most part, i find the app way easier to use than desktop.
  • Options
    @ruby696 Hahaha, I didn't really understand what everyone was complaining about with app access (though I do generally agree the app sucks), but I also have a Samsung Galaxy S9.  Team Android for life!  ;)  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @shamrocandroll I had to have an iPhone for work (so I had two phones). Never again. Being able to actually compare the two, since I used them both, was an eye opener.
  • Options
    I think there's a general opinion that people would like to wait a bit more (which I get and support). I think everyone is going to have their opinions/pros/cons to anything we decide, but if the group wants to push off this discussion to later this month with an intention to try more of a March or April (before babies) transition to a non-public group I didn't see anyone that had a problem with that, correct? It should give most people time to participate more actively if they want to be part of that group, and give us some more time to decide if PG or FB is a better option. (Personally, if the app keeps being so wonky as it has the last week or two I'm an advocate for direct to FB, but again I'll go with group consensus). 
  • Options
    My mind is blown right now that it seems to be an app issue on the iPhone only. I’m a mobile-only bumper and I used to be able to make it work so easily. But these last few weeks have been terrible and I miss it so much 😫 don’t leave without me!
  • Options
    @mamaqdubu I'm not seeing where that's a general consensus, though.  In fact, it's the option with the least amount of votes currently.  

**TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @shamrocandroll I think it is the consensus in the comments, though. I don't see how I can change my vote. I said Feb 1 in the poll, but I really don't mind waiting. I still do want to be on FB before the bulk of the babies are born because it's so much easier to share pics there. 

• Options
    I voted based on the medium I'd like to use--without considering the start date. I agree that the consensus came from the comments. I'm on the side of, I'm down to do whatever the majority want to do, whenever we want to do it. 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • Options
    I also voted not thinking about the start date, I'd be okay with a private group starting the first, but I think our group would be pretty small. Lately there's been a bunch of new names popping up, or at least new to me names. 
  • Options
    After reading all these responses I feel like the division here comes mostly from people who either like to use FB or don't like to use FB.  It seems like everyone wants to continue the discussion and be active and get to know people better.  Everyone here has opted to use the Bump, it's how we all met, and continuing to use the Bump would be most inclusive, even if it went to a more private group.  I'm all for more privacy on the internet when it's an option, but could certainly refrain from offering certain details about my life on a public forum as well when it's not an option.
  • Options
    I am pro moving to a PG earlier rather than later. If people feel that February 1 is too soon, perhaps we compromise and say February 15? I feel like waiting all the way till March is kind of late.
  • Options
    It seems like the poll is saying to transition to a private group on TB, but the comments are waffling on date. Do we want another poll to decide the date of the move?
  • Options
    I didn't comment, just did the poll because I'm cool with whatever everyone else wants to do :)
  • Options
    I also haven't commented because I know I am newer to the group and am okay with whatever the general consensus is. I have been trying to stay fairly active the past few weeks though. If the group does move to a PG on the bump relatively soon I would like to join though.
  • Options
    I am glad this is brought up-- I was debating bringing it up in the FTM mom group to see if there is a group of ladies interested in creating a Facebook group (or chat) or even a Google Chat. I thought it would be nice to have something I could pop into regularly to ask questions, hear about how everyone else is doing, share pics, etc. I like that kind of informal setting more than here. I still enjoy this but it isn't very personal and would love to be able to talk to others who are in a similar position! 
  • Options
    Well I know I started the poll so I have to see this through, but I’m thoroughly confused as to what to do next (I guess I could have seen this coming). In general, do you all think we should extend the “move” date to March 1? Reject the current poll and put up a new one with different options? Or just follow through with the majority? I definitely don’t want to “Queen bee” over here, but I also don’t want everyone frustrated with a lot of discussion and no action. 
  • Options
    @doctorcrime in the past I was part of a group that started a private chat group and it was fun.  The message board still existed and people still participated there, but we had a lot of informal sharing and laughs in the chat group and it wasn’t on display for all of the internet.  It was hard to keep up at times and there was no going back to look things up, but we still had the message board and the chat had a secondary purpose.
  • Options
    @mamaqdubu maybe a new poll to confirm move date? Maybe move March 1 to PG or move March 1 to FB as the two options? 
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Options
    @mamaqdubu It seems from most of the comments that people want to at least transition to a PG first, then maybe on to FB later. The main debate now is timing, so perhaps that should be the next poll. I’d say set dates for Feb 15, March 1, March 15. I think anything later might be too close to babies for us to really get to know each other. That’s just my 2 cents