Infertility
Options

IVF with donor eggs

1293031323335»

Re: IVF with donor eggs

• Options
    Hi everyone.

im wondering if anyone may know the answer to this. Obviously donor egg IVF is extremely expensive, it cost us close to $40,000 after all the fees involved.

does anyone know if any of these costs are tax deductible? If so, which costs? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Hi @casey301.  We didn't have much luck with tax deductions when we did our cycle.  I remember going back through all my receipts and creating this ridiculous spreadsheet of every expense and we were maybe able to deduct $500 for general medical expenses - it was disappointing.  I can go back and look at my emails/ notes and see if I can find anything specific but definitely consult an accountant because it likely varies based on other deductions and income.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @laurad75  Thanks for your response. Did you4 accountant give you a reason why you couldnt deduct anything? Was it because the specific expenses werent allowed to be deducted?
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah thanks. So we need a private letter ruling?
  • Options
    @casey301 - no, that letter is just someone asking the IRS if they can, and they are giving the person a response. Per the IRS website:

How Much of the Expenses Can You Deduct?

Generally, you can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI.

What Medical Expenses are Includible?

Fertility Enhancement

You can include in medical expenses the cost of the following procedures performed on yourself, your spouse, or your dependent to overcome an inability to have children.

• Procedures such as in vitro fertilization (including temporary storage of eggs or sperm).

• Surgery, including an operation to reverse prior surgery that prevented the person operated on from having children.

Me: 45yo, DH: 47yo
    3 Daughters (singleton @27yo, ID  Di/Di Twins @34yo)
    Protein S Deficiency (Blood Clotting Disorder), MTHFR & VIT D issue 
    5 MC's:  Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks;  Natural MC @ 7wks; Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks; MC boy-D&C @ 9wks & Chem PG in 2019
    Tubes were tied after my Twins (and now I am old). Remarried and want to give my DH a baby!

IVF#1 OE June 2019 - ER 6/15/19, 24R, 21M, 20F, 7 6DBlasts Frozen for PGS Testing,
    RESULTS of PGS 4 abnormal girls,  2 abnormal boys, 1 indeterminate girl
    FET#1 OE August 23, 2019 (transferring 1 indeterminate girl & 1 abnormal boy) - BFN
    IVF#2 November 15, 2019 - ER 9R, 9M, 6F, 2 5dBlasts (fresh transfer) and 1 6DBlast frozen for PGS Testing,
    FRESH Transfer: November 20, 2019, 2 5-day blasts transferred!! 
    BFP 8dp5dt on 11/27 - 12/2 on FRER, BETA #1 12/2 - 11.93. BETA #2 12/4: 4.41 ~CHEMICAL PG
    ******************Starting Donor Process
    June 2020: Egg Donor Cycle and Fresh Transfer of 1 embryo in Czech Republic - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID19
    October 2020.  Split Cycle at UFC with a friend (Andrea) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague too  
    DE Retrieval 9/26/2020, 26R, 24M, 12 split Cycle, 9 Fertilized + 1 "questionable", PRAYING FOR AT LEAST 5 BLASTS
    10/1/2020: 4 5DBlasts (AA, BB, BC, BC), 10/2/2020: 3 6DBlasts (BB, BB, BC) FOR A TOTAL OF: 7 BLASTS!! THANK YOU GOD!!
    PGS RESULTS: 5 NORMALS! DAY 5: AA BOY, BB GIRL, BC BOY / DAY 6: BB GIRL, BC GIRL
    DE FET October 29, 2020 - CANCELED DUE TO FLUID IN LINING
    DE FET November 16th, 2020 (transferring an PGS normal Hatching AA Boy)
  • Options
    @ladyp0tter @bluguitarhannah this is interesting read, thanks for posting.  I don't think it will apply to me though, since I had mine done overseas.  I hope that will be helpful to you @casey301 - P40k is a lot, we wouldn't be able to afford that much expense.

• Options
    casey301 - We used an accountant and itemized that year that we did DE cycle and yes he included our DE fees and expenses in the deduction.  I assume he knew what he was doing.   
  • Options
    Hi everyone ❤️ Welp, today my final OE IVF cycle was canceled. I’m sad/upset but also relieved. We’ll be moving onto DE soon. I was wondering how you all handled some of the grieving? I’m grateful to have this community of ladies for support!
  • Options
    I'm so very sorry you are going through this.  This sucks.  And it is devastating.  And yes, we need to grieve this loss of something we have wanted for our whole lives.  I just found this same thing out in November.  At first I was full steam ahead into planning our next step and then organizing my ERA, donor eggs in Prague, and all the documentation and tests they needed.  I didn't even really cry much about it that first week or so.  But when the planning slowed down and suddenly it sunk in, I just unraveled and it was so hard.  Im coming out on the other side just in the past few weeks.  But what I realize is that grief isn't linear.  I would have moments where I thought I was moving on and feeling better and the next day I cant stop crying.  And its ok to be a mess and to grieve.  This is fucking hard!

Things I did that I really think were therapeutic and helped me to feel better emotionally and mentally:  I regularly was receiving Acupuncture and Healing Touch and Reiki.  Our energy systems store sadness and grief and I knew I needed help with clearing my energy field of all this heaviness so I could feel more peace and calm.  I tried to journal as much as I could.  I took epsom salt baths.  I even took some CBD a few times to see if that would help.  I saw my therapist every other week to go through all of these emotions.  And this week I will be doing A yoni steam (because Im feeling slightly violated with all the retrievals and ERA and hormones.   My body needs a cleansing and revitalizing.  Also I will be trying EFT this week (Emotional Freedom technique, tapping).  Ive never done it before but understand it is energy work with the meridians and energy channels.  I also realized that the times I was the worst was when I was isolating myself and not talking with my friends.  I started doing things that brought me joy.  I would bring my dog to the dog beach...how can you not smile at the joy in a dogs face at the beach?!?!?!  I would see my girlfriends and try to go to places that make me happy like the zoo.  

Theres really no right or wrong way to grieve and you need to do whatever feeds your soul and comforts it.  Lean on your support system and partner.  Dealing with these emotions in a healthy way is important to be able to move forward to donor eggs with a heart that is healing. And take all the time that you need.  Leaning in here too is soooo helpful.  I am eternally grateful for these communities of women with similar experiences. 

39 years old   DH 41.  Sperm looks great.  We live in San Diego  
    Me:  ****TW loss mentioned***
    MTHFR Homozygous 677TT (dx 2016)
    hypothyroid
    8/2018           Off birth control
    11/29/2018    CP
    2/10/2019.    CP
    3/8/2019        Saw fertility doctor, AFC 5, labs drawn
    3/14/2019      Pregnant
    4/18/2019      9 week ultrasound  MM , stopped growing at 6 weeks, no HB.  D&C 
    5/2/2019       Return to fertility doctor, labs show AMH 0.27. Diminished Ovarian Reserve
                         1st of 3 Egg retrievals planned tentatively for July
    6/29/2019     started Antagonist Protocol 
    7/12/2019     First egg retrieval, only retrieved one egg and fell apart immediately, poor quality.
    8/7/2019.      Second cycle (follicular antagonist) canceled on day 5 of stims when a very large lead follicle grew out of nowhere.
    11/8/2019.    Second Egg retrieval with Lupron Flare Protocol.  2 eggs retrieved, fertilized with ICSI but no reaction occurred at all.                       Told I will never have my own babies with my eggs.
    12/20/2019    ERA - pre-receptive.  Needed 24 hours more of progesterone
    2/2020          CP
     3/2/2020     Egg donor cycle in Prague at Unica Clinic, 2 AA embryos, 1 transfer, 1 on ice. BFN.  Due to pandemic, we could not return to Prague and will abandon our remaining embryo.
    4/20/2020.  BFP trying on our own! 
    06/04/2020   After HBs at 7 and 9 weeks, MM at 10 weeks 3 days.  D&C, Hemorrhaged out 1 liter of blood from uterine artery rupture during procedure.     Spent 1 night in the hospital with a balloon tamponade in my uterus. Baby was mosaic Trisomy 21.
    8/2020.  Moving forward with Donor Egg cycle at Utah Fertility Center and sharing a cycle with ladypOtter (Gina) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague but couldn't.  
    9/26/2020 Donor retrieval of 26 eggs, 24 mature.  Split cycle so I have 12 eggs with all 12 fertilizing. 6 PGS normal 3 boys, 3 girls
    10/29/2020 Transfer day of  girl donor egg embryo.     BFP! First HCG 92.9. Then inappropriate rise, plateau and falling.  Possibly ectopic pregnancy.  ER visit with diagnosis of "pregnancy location unknown". CP
    1/19/2021 Embryos shipped from Utah to my local clinic, starting prednisone for anti-histamine protocol. 
    2/26/2021 FET girl embryo BFP. Betas 62, 139, 386! HB at 6 weeks, then baby stopped growing at 8 week check up with weak HB measuring 6 weeks 4 days.  MM at 9 weeks. D&C 4/15/21
    7/13/2021 FET boy and girl embryos. First beta 10dp5dt 177, 14dp5dt 1631, 16dp5dt 6809. Pregnant with Identical triplets.  At 9 weeks, Baby C no longer had a heart beat. Identical Twin Girls.   Pregnancy complicated by TRAP Sequence with baby C an Acardiac fetus still receiving blood flow being pumped to it by other girls.  Referred to UCSF at 18 weeks for consultation.  No intervention needed at this time
    2/18/22 After a failed NST, at 34 weeks 1 day, Charlotte born 4lb 4oz and Lily born 4lbs 10 oz.  Our hearts are complete.  Baby girls in NICU to grow and learn to eat.
    History in Spoiler