1st Trimester

Hcg slow and low

Hi, I am 7weeks2days and my hcg is on the low end and very slow to rise.
6w2d – 5074
6w5d – 6040
7w2d – 6470
Is this a sure sign of an impending miscarriage?
Thank you

Re: Hcg slow and low

• No it isn’t a sign. I also cramped and had spotting early on, and freaked out due to a previous loss. Cramping or spotting early on is normal. 

What does your OB say?

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @kkossinn so sorry you’re going through this. Did your OB talk to you about hcg and how often it should double? Ideally hcg should double every 48-ish hours, though it could be slightly longer. It seems that yours isn’t close to that. Anecdotally, I’ve always had numbers on the lower end of the spectrum that didn’t exactly double every 48 hours (it was more like 60) but it was considered an appropriate rise. 

Talk to your OB. He/she should be able to advise you of next steps. And hang in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2020
    @kkossinn sorry you’re dealing with slow rising numbers. Have you had a scan confirming your EDD? Especially with your betas I would be wanting them to do a scan to see what’s going on. Or your doctor should give you info or be able to answer your questions. Every pregnancy is so different (as you can see from the huge range in the photo @suzycupcake shared) someone might have experience having a loss with those numbers but there could be plenty of others that didn’t. A lot of people also don’t get their HCG checked so they don’t know how their numbers rise. Unfortunately it’s just a waiting game at this point. And scans to see if baby is developing properly. Hoping you have a good outcome! 
  • Thanks ladies. My midwife wasn’t worried after the second test saying that hcg can stabilize after a certain point but I haven’t talked to her about this last one yet. I’m hoping I’ll get my ultrasound soon
  • kkossinn said:
    Thanks ladies. My midwife wasn’t worried after the second test saying that hcg can stabilize after a certain point but I haven’t talked to her about this last one yet. I’m hoping I’ll get my ultrasound soon
    Hcg should double every 72 hours ideally. I’m glad that your Midwife seemed unconcerned about it and hope you will come back to update us. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN