July 2020 Moms
Options

UO Thursday - 12/12

2»

Re: UO Thursday - 12/12

• Options
    After my last kiddo was born, I would have sold my soul for a night nurse. The older 3 were such amazing sleepers, but #4 was AWFUL. He didnt sleep through the night until he was 4 years old. And I couldn't let him CIO because he had such an insane gag reflex that every time he cried for more than a minute or two he would vomit. This is one of my fears. I dont know how I will handle another sleeper like that. 

Also, the first 6 months after my divorce were awful since we did week on/week off custody but I love it now. I love the time the kids are here, but I also REALLY love when they are at their dads and I don't have to parent every weekend. 
  • Options
    @modoodles I Totally get it for single moms, moms whose husbands are gone for work all the time, really difficult babies who don’t sleep etc. I just think it’s strange that women around me immediately think they need one right off the bat before baby is born. Like it’s just a given....pregnant? Need night nurse. I feel like it’s a status symbol almost. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Shows that are stupid:  Friends, Seinfeld, and Sex in the City.  As well as "Real Housewives" of anything.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @b_1029 I know what you mean. My office is too small to have maternity leave so I will be on EI for as long as I can. When I was younger I had a dream of being a SAHM until the munchkin went to school, but it just isn't feasible :disappointed:
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 Open house showers are totally a thing where I am from.  For my first, I had a shower from like 2-4ish and people came and went.  They snacked, talked to people they knew, and left.  I opened gifts if they asked me to--otherwise, I just visited with guests.  It was really nice! It takes away a lot of the awkwardness for the guests who may not know other people! 

@kboydbowman Friends is NOT stupid.  
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 @blaf322 guilt/anxiety aside, I really love the idea of being a model of independence, goal-setting, ambition, and prioritization for a future DD or DS. Life is full of juggling acts and I think seeing working parents make time, make healthy financial decisions, inspire teamwork with a spouse...those can all be gifts to a child. A 2 year old doesn’t “get” that, but over the long term those lessons can sink in. I know when I was going to day care and after school care when both parents worked I never felt uncared for. I knew money meant I could play softball and buy books at the book fair. And my parents’ engagement was total when they were with me. I was and am wholly loved and I know they did the very best they could to prioritize my growth. I plan on doing the same for my kiddo. 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I hate that you felt that way! You going to work doesn't mean any of those things and there are TONS of people who agree with us on this.
    I'm fortunate in that, I don't really care what others think about this subject. It's one I'm super confident about and tend to feel bad for those who judge because it means they must have some insecurities they're projecting onto others. I know I'm doing the best I know how to for her and that's all that matters. I don't really know you, but I'm sure you're a great mama and she knows she's loved. :smile:  
  • Options
    @rachelredhead yes, completely agree it is great for kids to see! I appreciate your perspective having grown up going to daycare, after-school care, etc. 

@blaf322 I am also super confident in our decision for care for our daughter, which is why I'm surprised this bugged me like it did. I think maybe it's because my other BMB is super supportive of each other and I've never felt that mom shame from that group. I guess I was a little taken aback to see it here. Also, I'm going to blame pregnancy hormones haha
  • Options
    @rachelredhead I know what you mean. My mom was a department head in a male dominated environment and they all came to her for advice. I started to appreciate it when I was in my late teens and I am insanely proud of her. She still kept getting calls from the office after she retired :lol: At the same time, when I was younger I wish she could have had more time off with us in terms of field trips,etc. We still had a ton of fun going on family vacations so it seems you are damned if you do damned if you don't. You have to do what is best for you and your family and just be present for your kids. That irritating mantra of "It's all about priorities." :tongue:
  • Options
    I'll admit I felt guilty when I first went back to work after having my daughter (at 12 weeks). She felt small and I felt like we were paying for someone else to take care of her basic needs, when that was my job! BUT, over the following months, I felt that guilt just drop away. I knew my daughter had a strong attachment to me, but also enjoyed seeing her interact with her caregivers at daycare. And as she became more "awake" I realized how much more she was getting out of going to daycare vs the days she would be home with me. Maybe if we didn't have such a great experience with our current daycare I would feel differently, but there's a lot to be said about encouraging your child to form attachments and learn from others during these critical years of development (she's currently 21 months). And while yes I was sad to go back to work at first, I get a lot of fulfillment out of my job, which makes me a happier and more well-rounded person, which (maybe this is the UO in my post) I think is just as important as just being around your child more often. But that's a personal choice that me and my SO were able to make together.
  • Options
    I’ve been offline since my parents are visiting from the other coast for 72 hours, but wanted to clarify a couple things which I feel are being unfairly misinterpreted.

I never said or implied (nor do I believe) that being a working parent, having a nanny / babysitter / daycare or seeking any other form of help was bad. I have been and/or will be all of the above myself. (My DS will be starting at preschool part-time next Sept, at 2. And when this baby is born I may hire a part-time nanny to help out too).

What I said is there should be a line when too much outsourcing is too much...and begs the question why you chose to have a kid.

The 2 examples I provided were:
    1) My coworkers getting baby nurses to care for their newborns from 7pm to 7am so they didn’t have to do it themselves (btw, none of these women had kids & all of them had 16w paid leave and spouses/partners). They just didn’t want to get up at night to care for their kids the first 2-3m. (Also, baby nurses aren’t nurses. They’re just night nannies).

2) A well off neighbor who has her 3 year old + newborn in daycare + with a nanny from 8am to 8pm M-F, then with a nanny ALL day Sunday as well. 

I don’t consider the above to be mom-shaming. 
  • Options
    @pretzellover I guess I still just don’t judge either of those moms. With regard to there being a line... who draws that line? Who says what’s okay? What about gray areas? You just can’t do that and cater to every situation/make everyone happy. 
  • Options
    I think there’s a difference between judging and shaming. We ALL judge and anyone who says they don’t is lying. Yeah I judge moms who don’t work but still have a full time nanny. Actually my brother in law doesn’t work and his youngest is in full time daycare and I judge him for that. But it’s not like I go around telling him how I feel. That would be shaming. I keep it to myself. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 having no job and still sending my kids to daycare is my fantasy. 😂
  • Options
    zande2016zande2016 member
    edited December 2019
    @Pascal86 on work holidays when daycares are still open and daycare parents can send their kids to daycare and have the house to themselves....Serious fantasy of mine.  
  • Options
    Before I was married one of my jobs was ro nanny 2 days a week for a family with 3 kids ages 2-7. The mom was a SAHM and the dad worked long hours. At first I questioned why they even needed me but now that I have 2 kids of my own with another on the way I totally get it! While I was there to care for the kids, playing taking them to and from school and extracurriculars the Mom was busy doing all of the things that are tedious and take time away from the kids. She did laundry,  mowed the grass so her husband didn't need to on the weekends, went grocery shopping and ran errands that are SOOO much harder when you have little kids with you. This way, when I wasn't there she was more free to spend her time with her kids. 

Now, as a SAHM of 2 myself I would love to be able to pay someone once a week so I could do the boring things quickly without my kids!