March 2020 Moms
Options

December Questions

Re: December Questions

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 @kailanae good to know! Ok I won’t call them then! For some reason I always feel like a bumbling idiot at the peds office so I don’t need to add to that image. 😂 Maybe because usually when I’m there DD is sick and I’m already overwhelmed and exhausted. Haha
  • Options
    @creativesoul83 my OB would like me to choose my ped practice before my next appointment just so they know if the ped can visit at the hospital, possibly helps with preregistration (?), etc. I'm in a Facebook mom's group in my area and found one that way, and we have a meet and greet appointment in a few weeks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey all, question about doing home glucose monitoring--I have to prick my finger four times a day, and my finger... hurts. Wahh. But when I tried to use my middle finger earlier instead of the pointer, I didn't get enough blood. The thumb gave enough blood the second time, so that was good. But--do people vary fingers? Are certain fingers better at getting blood than others? 
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom Gosh I have no idea, but I want to say blood is blood... so wouldn't any finger be as good haha. I'd totally alternate. How long do you have to do this for (how many days)?
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @kagesstarshroom the only experience I have is doing this with DS when he was 18 months old. We used whatever finger was easier to access at the time (thumb, pointer, or middle usually) so I don’t think it matters. The only times we didn’t get enough blood were when he was too wiggly fighting us to get the blood into the collection tip. I’m guessing it just takes practice and I hope it’s getting easier for you! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    treetop19treetop19 member
    edited December 2019
    @kagesstarshroom, ugh, that sucks.  DH checks his sugar each day since he's diabetic, and his finger gets tired of all the needle pokes too. He told me he didn't think it was too bad the first couple times, but after a week.. he'd had it.  He usually alternates between pointer fingers... I think he's found that the other fingers don't work as well either.  So no easy solutions for you, but hopefully you'll get through it ok.   :'(   

• Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been an ongoing adventure of mostly failures and eventual successes. I hope I only have to do this for a week, geez. I have been varying fingers just for the sake of not hurting myself, and it seems random which ones work better one! I got some advice from someone via DM, too, so everyone's advice combined is very helpful. Thanks again! 
  • Options
    OKAY another home glucose monitoring question: should I NOT eat/drink anything but water for the two hours after a meal before I take my levels? Bc I had a bubble tea after lunch, and my two hours after I was done eating lunch level was 178. Which is my first "bad" score thus far, and now I'm like "KAGES YOU HAVE TO PASS THIS DUMB GLUCOSE TEST THING BC YOU DO NOT WANT TO POKE YOUR FINGER FOR MORE THAN A WEEK." I'm gonna call my ob tomorrow and ask, but felt it was worth asking hereee just in case anyone knows. Blah.
  • Options
    Any STMs or TTMs notice how active your LO was in utero correlate to how active they are after birth? Loving these baby kicks because it gives me peace of mind, but also my goodness is she constantly active! Wondering if I should be extra prepared for no sleep lol.
  • Options
    @creativesoul63 DH keeps joking baby is going to be super feisty and I keep saying "All babies are active in there!" bc that's what my u/s tech said, but now I am curious how this pans out for STM+s too now!
  • Options
    @creativesoul63 I've wondered this too! my LO is SOO active in there but only at like 6 am, noon-3pm, and then 9pm.
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    mrsc918mrsc918 member
    edited December 2019
    Not really sure where else I can ask this question as I don’t think the product spotlights have mentioned changing table stuff yet...or at least not that I remember lol

So I will be using the dresser as the changing table. I really don’t like the look of changing pads alone and changing trays are surprisingly expensive. So I came across these super cute changing baskets. I wanted to see what STM+ think of functionality of these? They are pricey but pretty much just as expensive as a tray and pad. And I also like that it’s portable so I can use it in my room and downstairs. Also this one has a waterproof cover and is 100% cotton.

• Options
    @mrsc918 The basket is suuuuper cute but (sorry to burst your bubble) I see the basket and decorative part getting hit with your first poopsplosion and never being clean again. They don’t look easy to clean. 

Changing pads typically can be wiped clean, their covers machine washed, and the dresser top wiped down. Sorry.
  • Options
    @mrsc918, not a STM, but have you checked out the Keekaroo or Bumbo pads? Waterproof, cute (as a changing pad can be), and sit on top of a dresser. Bumbo's are ~$70 and Keekaroo's are ~$120, I think? So comparable in price to the basket. If you want portability, the SkipHop Prontos are clutch (sorry, pun intended!). I don't think I'd want to carry a full basket around, but don't know the set-up of your house! 
  • Options
    @mrsc918 I agree with the poopsplosion making it a bit impractical. I also don’t see the dimensions but depending on the dimensions and how fast your baby grows it might grow out of it really soon. Other changing pads don’t really have a top or bottom so you can scoot baby up or down as needed. I wouldn’t worry about aesthetics tbh, it’s a temporary item. I don’t change DS on a changing table anymore, haven’t for like a year. It’s easier to do it standing or laying down on the floor once they get bigger and more mobile. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @mrsc918 I second/third what everyone else said. I used a dresser as a changing table also and just stuck a pad on there. They’re so temporary. Also the portability of it, you aren’t going to be dragging it around the house. Much easier to just change baby on a blanket on the bed, or even the floor of that’s where you are. I changed DS on the floor more than anywhere else. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! That’s what I was thinking with the poopsplosions and having to deal with getting poop out of crevices of the basket lol @pdx2020 I did look at the Keekaroo...I actually liked them bc then I don’t have to wash pad covers, but then I read reviews about poop stains on the foam and was like eh, for that price I’d be pissed if it got a poop stain lol
  • Options
    @mrsc918 I still change 20 mo DS on a pad so he would no longer fit in the basket. We put a towel under the changing pad to protect the dresser and then we used command velcro strips to attach the changing pad to the back of the dresser. So one velcro command strip hidden attached behind the dresser and one stapled many times to a strap on the changing pad. It’s kept it pretty secure. 

We kept DS in our room for the first 10 months so we also have a hidden command strip velcro behind the dresser in my bedroom (and I temporarily moved everything off it). Will need to do that again.

for DS’s big boy room (that hopefully the window shades come in for soon), we will just change him on the couch bc it’s easier and he no longer (knock on wood) projectile pees on us while we change him. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @mrsc918 To add to what others have said, when putting a changing station on top of a dresser, it should be fastened in some form to the dresser or wall for safety.  I think most changing pads come with a strap to attach to the back of the dresser but it can be removed once you no longer need the pad.  I will also say though that with a 4 and 2 year old, I am still using our changing pads on the dresser.  For the 4 year old, only if he has a messy overnight pull-up incident, but it is nice to have a place that is next to all the necessary supplies and can easily be cleaned off.

I did have the diaper/wipes stuff in a portable container on top of the changing dresser thinking I might need to be able to tote them to other rooms, but unless baby is super wiggly/fussy, I honestly prefer changing at the dresser rather than in other places around the house since it is otherwise the right height, near clothes and back-up diapers/wipes/clothes, and next to my diaper pail.  I also live in a rancher though so I don't need to trek up stairs to get to the changing station.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    STM+, tell me, has anyone tried hypnobirthing? My midwife mentioned it yesterday and while I’ve heard a little about it, I don’t even know where to begin with research. It sounds really fascinating and I think I’d like to maybe try it? 

And another question. Laughing gas during labor? I had seen it on a tv show but didn’t realize it was an actual thing. My last hospital didn’t offer it, but the midwife brought that up yesterday as an alternative to epidural and I’m SUPER curious because I guess you aren’t stuck in bed, can move around as much as you want, etc... 
  • Options
    @miss.sally I’ve seen laughing gas in books and movies too, but usually outside the US, and always wondered why that is. There’s actually an article on the Bump homepage today (can’t get it to link) comparing it to epidurals. It seems like it would be a great alternative but the article implies most women end up needing an epidural anyway so 🤷🏻‍♀️. 
  • Options
    @miss.sally obvi NOT a STM who has done hypnobirthing but my co-worker had a successful experience with it in a major medical hospital with no midwifes etc. she's the reason I decided to try. I'm reading the Mongan method and so far it really makes sense to me & no longer feels overwhelming or strange. the link to the book is in the spoiler. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    @miss.sally, I was curious about the same thing - my hospital just started offering laughing gas recently.. it wasn't available when I had DS in 2016.  Idk what it would be like to be on it.   I think I am going to try it this time around, especially since I will try to go med free again.. I'm not going to count it as a 'med'.  LOL.   all bets might be off though if I have to be induced... now that I know I have gestational diabetes, from what I'm reading, often you have to be induced.   I haven't tried hypnobirthing, though it definitely sounds interesting.
  • Options
    @chichiphin thank you!!! I’ve been overwhelmed looking at all the different books and methods so I’ll go ahead and purchase this one also. Plus bonus it comes in kindle form. Haha. I’m so dang excited. I stayed up for way too many hours last night researching and reading stories and it is SO fascinating to me!!! I just hope I don’t have to be induced again this time. 
  • Options
    @miss.sally, STM here. I had a med free birth my DS and I didn't do hypnobirthing. I did do a lot of positive research on med free birth stories, hired a doula, prenatal yoga and mentally prepared my mind weeks ahead of time. I hope to have another med free birth and I've begun "training my mind and body" for it already. I read Ina May's "Guide to Childbirth" and I believe she touches upon hypnobirthing! I plan to bring that book back out again soon for a refresher. 
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• Options
    @PuppyLove8910 I read Ina May’s book during my first pregnancy but that was 10+ years ago. I should definitely pull that out again! I don’t think I was mentally prepped for that one anyways. I had to be induced for pre-E and it was a horrible process. 
  • Options
    Questionnnnn specifically for people who don't live near their parents or STMs who didn't when their first/one of thier kids was born orrrr anyone with just advice about situations like that.

My Mom wants to come around the week after the baby is born, but she will have to fly & doesn't make the kind of money that would make booking a flight last minute plausible--though I do know sometimes cheap flights appear. I'm due 3/21... I know there is no way for us to predict when the baby will be born, but I'm looking for just general advice on what worked for you in having parents fly in after a baby was born or what didn't work and you wish you'd have done differently? Thanks!
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom is your mom going to actually be helpful? Like actually clean/cook not just snuggle the baby claiming she’s being helpful? Are you comfortable breastfeeding in front of her if you’re planning on breastfeeding? How long is she planning on staying? What is your practices policy on inducing (ie some will at 41 weeks, others 42)? If she’ll be helpful and you don’t mind breastfeeding in front of her maybe book it for 42 weeks to be safe. 

If she’s not going to be helpful than I’d say to have her come 4-6 weeks later. That way you’ve already been able to establish some sort of a new normal routine and are probably starting to be more comfortable with breastfeeding. Plus you’ll have some idea of what you are comfortable with and what you aren’t. Also baby will probably be starting to sleep a little bit longer, most likely not over night but longer than 2hrs in most cases. 

We did that latter last time bc my mom made it clear she wasn’t going to be any help and would be more work bc I’d be cooking and cleaning up after her... there were definitely hurt feelings but we already have a strained relationship so to me it was worth it. We also limited their visit to a week and made them stay at a hotel so we still had our normal evenings where DS was cluster feeding a ton. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @kagesstarshroom Yeah I agree with @varimama! FTM here so I have no experience. But my dad lives out of the country, and he really wanted to be here when I give birth. BUT he would be staying with us at my house, which would really end up being more of a hassle for me to deal with than helpful, so I quickly let him know I would prefer him to come when baby is 3 months. He was a bit bummed but understood.
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom Agree with others that unless she’s going to be super helpful and you’re going to be super comfortable, schedule her visit for when the baby is guaranteed to be a couple weeks old. Does your partner have parental leave? If, for example, he has two weeks off would be awesome to have your mom come right when he goes back to work. 
  • Options
    @momoftoddlers DH is self-employed, and I'm a grad student--neither of us get any real leave. He can take time off, but then he doesn't get paid; I'm teaching online, so at least I don't have to leave the house. 

@mrsc918 My Mom is willing to stay somewhere that isn't our couch when she's here, so that for sure makes it easier. I am just worried about how she'll get from wherever she stays to my house--MH says she can use my car, but then I'm worried what if I have to drive? But they said they would make sure there's always someone or a vehicle at the house. She said I'm not going to be able to/allowed to drive after I give birth for awhile, but I don't know how any of that works. I know I will need recovery time, but if there's an emergency, I'm going to need to be able to get somewhere, and I am used to having a personal vehicle to do that.

She wants to come because she wants to be helpful--with the baby and cooking and cleaning and making sure I'm alright, that sort of thing. Thanks so far for all the advice!
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom I totally agree with @varimama and think your plan sounds good, as long as you still have access to your car. Like she stays at a nearby hotel, and comes and goes when needed or the vehicle is needed. 
    I had no problem driving once I was released from the hospital 2 days later, but I also had a vaginal delivery and live 15 minutes from the hospital, if that makes any difference. I guess there could be a chance your doctor would tell you not to drive if you have a c-section, or any complications, but it's not the case for everyone. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom Yeah vaginal deliveries both times here, and I had no issues driving right away (and I had a SEVERE tear the first time, still no issue). I need my mom with my all the time and wanted her at my births. She went into labor with her first 5 days before her due date. My doctor said there's some belief that women follow patterns similar to their moms--or at least, she said, that's as good as any guess--and, guess what? I went into labor 5 days before my due date haha! So I wonder if your mom is early or what not. Also how long does she have available? If she's retired and can be there for a while, I personally would have my mom come right prior to my due date and I would totally want her there at the hospital etc... but of course, everyone says you go late with your first, and I didn't... so... 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @kagesstarshroom, I think generally FTM's go over their due date, but of course it's not the same for everyone.  I went over my due date with my first and was induced.  My niece just had her first and her mom flew out for it, and they ended up getting there a week early - niece ended up being overdue, and had to be induced as well.  If anything, I'd probably have her schedule the flight for a few days to a week after your due date if the intention is that she gets there after baby is born... you may go early, but then if you go late, at least she won't be there waiting around too long before LO is born.  

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 Aw, I love how close you are to your mom that it was important she be there for your delivery. She and I talked about that, and I want it to be just DH and I, and she said she agreed, that sounded good. She has a good amount of time, but I think we agreed 1-2 weeks would be best, probably somewhere in-between there, for the both/all of us. She was late with both my bro & I, so I'm going to stick with looking at 2 weeks after. I know myself, and I think if she is there RIGHT after we deliver, it will add extra stress EVEN IF she is there to help? Like, I know I'll be a little stressed when she first gets there.

Good to hear about the driving thing--the only thing about being 35 & a FTM is... my mom gave birth to me SO LONG AGO that so much of her experience of what the doctors told her is very outdated, and she doesn't seem to be able to understand that? It's been frustrating--like, I am taking heartburn medicine and I took medicine for nausea, and she was saying how glad she is that I'm not sick like she was with me (for 9 mo....) and I'm like, yeah bc I have been taking medicine. And she INSISTS that medicine gave babies birth defects and will not listen to me when I tell her that has been disproven? So frustrating. I hope she isn't the same about the driving thing, is my point.
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom predicting when you’ll give birth is tricky, but the good news is you can use the help just about any time in those first two months or so! Really first 6 months, lol. I actually remember baby getting a little bit fussier/more difficult between 2 and 4 weeks so it was nice to have some help then. I think around 4 or 6 weeks “purple crying” begins.

My parents were pretty helpful and brought us dinners 2-3 times a week and would hold baby, do dishes, whatever. I think your mom staying in a hotel is a GRAND idea because I would not want to host anyone in my house.

FTR I gave birth 4 days early with DD. 
  • Options
    @kantobean yes. I remember the first month after DS, I turned to my husband and said, “This isn’t so bad.” And then it got so much harder. They sleep so much the first month that it seemed easy and then the crying and awake more happened and it was a lot harder. So I agree with everyone @kagesstarshroom that schedule your mom for about a month out or slightly more (since u said ur mom was 2 wks late for u and ur sibling) from your due date. 

@EmilyLove25 i’ve also heard that you follow ur mom’s pattern of birth. I would guess it’s genetic but I would then think you could potentially follow your paternal grandmother too? My mom had me 4 weeks early and I had DS a little over 2 weeks early. I’m gonna lose my dang mind if I go past 38 weeks this pregnancy bc I never made it that far last time. I already am so much huger this pregnancy too. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @silverhope I don't think she was two weeks late exactly, she was just late, I meant that my plan is for her to plan to fly in 2 weeks after my due date.