July 2020 Moms

Cravings and Aversions

Re: Cravings and Aversions

• @asf0613 I’ve been eating a lot of rice... it’s definitely not the same. 😕
  • For the most part, I haven't had any long lasting aversions, but occasionally I'll get a few bites into something, it seems like it's usually something I was excited about eating or something I really love, and I just can't finish it, just the thought of one more tiny bite makes me sick. But I'll be able to eat it just fine on other days 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ weird stuff, ya'll.

Anyone else craving spicy things? 🙌Seriously can't get enough! @rachstar18 I see you 😂

Also, since we just moved to a new-to-us country, I'm craving all the things I can't get here aka chik-fil-a, a good burger, a good ol' steak dinner, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not bring lunch to work today and I am seriously considering Wendy's spicy nuggets, fries, and a frosty for lunch 
  • rubyj9 I'm craving spice but I'm allergic to all pepper but black or white table pepper.  Keep dreaming about queso.
  • @rubyj9 oh yeah, all the spicy and salty things here still. Had spinach dip at 9am today. Classic.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @zande2016 that was my lunch yesterday. No shame 
  • We had a legal department holiday lunch party today and they had a ton of cheese, yippee! I also could have eaten a bowl of the salsa. But when I tried the hummus everyone was raving about? Holy Hannah, hell no. So weird, because I normally love hummus. But it was a total abomination today. 🤪
  • I <3 spicy.  I keep Indian food on hand at all times and it almost always sounds appealing.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @nursejenn5 yep I did it, no regrets. and their strawberry lemonade is on point. 
  • All I want in my life is a McDonalds fruit and yogurt parfait. I love those things lol..... I put in a grocery order for pick up today and definitely included the stuff to make one at home. 
  • I actually managed to eat a cranberry BLT from a local coffee shop for lunch. It has a sweet peppered bacon on it and it was amazing. I gave DH half of it, because I couldn't eat it all- but it was nice to eat something that didn't make me feel sick. 
  • @bluguitarhannah aww girl! I feel for ya 😩
  • Nothing sounds good and if it does, by time I eat it sounds gross. Fruits esp cold cherries and purple grapes have sounded good. I love  and crave salads usually but those are hit and miss right now

I just know it is timing issue. I'm hoping this doesn't continue to go to almost 20 weeks like first time. 

Also, if I could  stop dry heaving and gagging thatd be great. Sometimes it is bc I need to eat and other times bc something grosses me out (even thinking or talking about it). I cant talk about coffee even as it is huge aversion 
  • I thought I’d avoided having much nausea, but it’s starting to hit me more now. Got a big serving of gf pasta alfredo for dinner, ate two bites, and it was suddenly the grossest thing ever and I felt stuffed. So I barely ate and now I’m starving. 
  • @Pascal86 I have Celiac disease also. I was diagnosed almost 12 years ago. Our options are so much better now than when I was first diagnosed.  You mentioned bagels earlier. My 2 favorite store brands for that are Against the Grain and Udi's. Against the Grain is great for jut buttered bagels since it is thinner.  Udi's is great if you're looking to put jam, pb or my favorite, cream cheese on it. It's also awesome for sandwiches,  it hollow it out, toast it and it's perfect! 

I have a bag in the fridge and am totally having a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast! 

Let me know if you want any other suggestions or recipes. 
  • Today is a "I'm having a grilled cheese for breakfast" kind of day because it sounded delightful/much better than eggs...and it's mostly ok? H bought some new bread and I'm not sure I'm digging it...
  • @pocketrose I’ve been doing grilled cheese with soup for supper pretty much every other day. WHY DIDNT I THINK OF IT AS A BREAKFAST OPTION? 😁
  • @rachelredhead It's been a cheese filled day, I just had cauliflower gnocchi from TJs and added parmesan. 
  • @mrsb915 omg I hadn’t even thought of trying to find a gf bagel - I just found out I have celiacs 6 months ago (though looking back, I’ve been dealing with symptoms since I was 10). The thought of a bagel with cream cheese sounds too good to be true, I need to find those brands!
  • I cannot get enough orange juice. I want it 24/7. But this morning I drank it too fast and now I have heartburn. Sad trombone! 
  • @Pascal86 Those are probably my 2 favorite brands for all things bread! Udi's is the only sandwich bread I eat, thier dinner rolls aren't bad either. Against the Grain has great baguettes and pizza crust,  I love the texture and flavor!  Good luck finding them, you won't regret it! 
  • lizzybean84lizzybean84 member
    edited January 2020
    Cravings are so. weird. Before pregnancy I didn't understand them, but that first time I absolutely needed a lemon tart at 11pm while laying in bed, I understood. 

Right now, it's spaghetti. I really, really, really want some spaghetti. I was super into chicken up until about 11 weeks when it suddenly grossed me out. This past week the cravings have been sticky rice and anything-lemon, and the one consistent one has been white cheddar macaroni. Added bonus is that it always makes me feel so much better! Love me some carbs. 

Don't even get me started on cheese. If I could just funnel cheese into my mouth all day, I'd be a happy girl. Sadly, I'm mostly wanting all the soft cheeses I can't have right now. Anyone else in that boat?
  • @lizzybean84 I still eat my soft cheese on occasion, especially since anything in a US grocery store is pasteurized (and you can always double check the label). I haven’t craved cheese much but when I do it does tend to be the soft variety. 

My weirdest thing right now is just a general aversion to meat. We’re in London right now (heading home tomorrow) and if I see one more sausage or fried fish I will set somebody on fire. Ive been living off carbs all week and I am so ready to be at home with my veggies and fruits and smoothies. Definitely a fun trip, but meat aversion is tricky when traveling. 
  • @rachelredhead fun fact (or maybe it's just a thing people tell you lol) but my understanding is that the meat aversion that's so common with pregnancy developed in women early on because they didn't have refrigeration and meat was more likely to cause issues/have gone bad... so our bodies compensated to make it so we were less likely to eat any.
  • @blaf322 damn cave women ancestors ruining my shepherds pie dreams! 😂
  • @rachelredhead damn it now I read this and I want shepherds pie!
  • @lizzybean84 Cravings really are the funniest, I keep getting a craving for a peanut butter sandwich in bed every night. Right around 930-10:00 or so. My poor DH makes it for me every single time. 
  • im so glad im not the only one with crazy cravings! recently its been kraft mac and cheese and mcdonalds fruit and yogurt parfaits. i literally door dashed two the other day cause i didnt want to leave the house but i wanted some  :D also, i never really liked pork that much but at our family christmas dinner i ate tons of ham (which i usually hate). but every other meat sounds gross. haha. 

also, DH and i were picking up groceries for my parents around Christmas and at the checkout line they had those cosmic brownies and i grabbed one and DH was trying to help me be good and to convince me not to eat it and i literally started crying. like, tears on tears. when it was our turn to checkout, the cashier scanned it first and directly gave it to me - didnt put it in a bag or anything hahaha. she mustve overheard.
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• @blaf322 that is so interesting about the meat aversion! I have actually been quite the opposite which is surprising because I am a vegetarian; completely disgusted with my meat alternatives and any type of bean. I look at cheeseburgers daily on Pinterest and am loving chicken right now (hello Chik-Fil-A).

I feel like Phoebe from Friends who suddenly craves meat when she is pregnant with her brother's triplets  :D 
  • @blaf322 I was reading that as well. It also said it peaks at certain weeks because their organs start developing. I thought that was interesting as well! 

I am not a huge sweets person but I like the occasional candy bar and sweets. However, I have had huge aversions to it most of first trimester but today I can’t seem to get enough chocolate peanuts and I figure I can enjoy lots since I haven’t had much in weeks lol 

• We are so having Shepherd’s pie tonight.  
  • Mmmm, spicy food. I had a jalapeno farmer's wrap from Timmy's the other day and totally paid for it later on *ouch* but it was so absolutely worth it.
  • I was desperate for a taco salad over the weekend even though I’m anti-meat these days. So I had huge salads with beans, avocado, cheese, tortilla chips, corn...and now that’s all I want pretty much 24/7. So so weird. But I may have taco salad for breakfast tomorrow. 🤷‍♀️
  • I’m still riding the cereal wave everyday. I currently have four boxes open that I need to eat though. Someone mentioned Special K with Red Berries recently, so that’s my recent jam. 

Also strawberries in general and anything fresh really. Lately I’ve been making big kale salads with dinner, can’t get enough.

so far beef is my only meat aversion, can’t handle it, but give me all the chicken please!
  • @rachelredhead
    I cannot get enough mexican food either!  I could seriously eat it every single day.  I was this way with DS too.  I have no idea what happens to my body haha.
  • @coffeeandcookies84 I’ve been all about the cereal too. Plain Special K alllll week. I’m sad we’re out of milk 😂
  • We had Mexican food three times since Thursday.  My wife is tolerating me.  She did make me the Shepherd's pie last night that this thread let me to want.  I had it again for lunch.  My aversions change every other day.  She picked up tofu while at the store yesterday and I was ready to hurl.  I normally enjoy tofu.
  • Mine is buffalo wings, made more confusing by the fact that I’ve been a vegetarian for 5+ years lol. 
  • Today I'd kill for some watermelon...which in January is difficult.
  • @rachelredhead @bluguitarhannah @JessDG you guys talked about mexican food and i started craving mexican food hahahaha....my sweet DH brought me some to my work today. 

@pocketrose ooooh watermelon!!!! we got a little container of pre cut melons at the grocery store the other day and it had watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew, and i downed it so fast!
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21