May 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms | Nov 4-10

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms | Nov 4-10

• @chewie5990 I'm so with you on daycare centers. I love ours. They send pictures and parents can stop by whenever we want. The kids get so much stimulation and frankly, they are exposed to things they would never get from me at home. Ours costs a lot, but I'd cancel cable and my gym membership before I'd send my kids somewhere else.
  • Leaving your baby is so hard! I second doing a trial whether you decide on a nanny or daycare. I’ll never forget sobbing in the car after I dropped my daughter off for the first time for a trial. I loved having her in the center we chose though. They had cameras so we could peek in, they sent photos, and I was able to go in and nurse her during my lunch break. I also love that she was exposed to other children which I think helped motivate her developmentally. Just do your research and choose what’s best for your family. That’s a different answer for everyone.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2019
    I’m a former nanny, but have found I much prefer a licensed daycare for my own child. When I dropped DD off at 12 weeks, I sobbed. But everyday got easier and, honestly, it started to feel a bit like freedom. I love the socialization that she gets and the push they provide on her development. The daycare staff is the reason DD started weaning off bottles at a year, the reason she can spell her name and recognize it if she sees it, among other things. The important thing is finding somewhere that feels right. We’ve walked into some and known immediately that it wasn’t going to be a good fit - just follow your gut and don’t be afraid to ask all the questions and advocate for your family. 

ETA: Neither of the centers DD has been in has cameras or an app, but personally I like that. I’m very self-conscious about my online presence (and DD’s) so I prefer not to have anything in the cloud that could be hacked. I know I can be over-paranoid, but have accepted that about myself.

(Even being on this board makes me anxious sometimes which is why I’m very careful about the personal info I give.)
  • +1 for loving our daycare. Ours is at one of the elementary schools in the district where my H and mom both work, so most of the other kids’ parents happen to be coworkers with one of them. Because of daycare, DD can speak and understand some Spanish even though we don’t speak it at home, and her vocabulary and social development are far beyond what they would be (I imagine) if she weren’t interacting with other kids on a daily basis. She’s getting great daily structure, learning opportunities, and outside time by being there, and because it’s through the school district, we know all of the employees have to be thoroughly background checked and vetted.
  • I just logged into my Labcorp account and it says my NIPT results were sent to my dr and won't be available online for me to see until Monday.  My dr office is so slow about everything, and now that I know they have them I am freaking out.  How will I make it through the next few days without knowing everything is okay? They close in an hour, but maybe by some miracle they will call me soon? *fingers crossed*
  • @bananapanda there is always a huge lag for me between labcorp and the doctor's office, Labcorp won't update their portal with results until your doctor sees them and gives you the results and then authorizes Labcorp to release them I believe.  
  • Daycares

We started out having and a family friend watch DD and occasionally my parents and aunt. We toured many daycares and interviewed a couple people that we knew and some that we didn't and the family friend felt the best. DH works retail so his schedule was all over the place and our child care needs were varied. It ranged from 0-4 days a week and 1-4 hours at a time on average. Everyone who helped us with DD came to our house in the beginning which was amazing, but eventually DD went to the family friends house! The family friend cared for DD until she was just shy of 1 and only stoped because she had a baby and went on maternity leave in Nov.

We ended up deciding to switch providers when she had her baby and found an amazing in-home. DD went there for a few weeks from Nov-Dec, then the week before the holidays she said she would no longer do in-home care starting in the new year. We had already planned to have DD home for the week of Christmas but we had to scramble to find somewhere that could take her in 2 weeks!

We found a great daycare and DD has been there ever since (from 13 months-3 years so far). She goes 3 days a week and my parents take her 2 days a week. Overall I prefer the structure and reliability of the daycare and like that they cannot just drop you with no notice. However I do really like that we were able to keep her home for the first year and I could really control the food she was eating (i.e. no added sugars, real whole foods, etc.) and she wasn't as exposed to illness.

All that being said, I have no clue what we will do with #2 yet.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @bananapanda Call your doctor's office and ask for the results. I called mine at like 3:45 on a Friday and they had someone call be back before 5:00 to discuss. 
  • @bananapanda they did mention an app actually. I just can’t imagine if I cried and I didn’t even leave the baby there how hard must it be when you have to do it for real 😳 
  • @bananapanda - I called the nurse line and left a message that I could see that the doctor had the results and I was feeling anxious about it so wanted to call to see if he’d had a chance to review them yet. I had a call back by the end of the day. If your dr office is open tomorrow, I’d definitely recommend that you call!
  • It's almost 3 am and I've been up with dd for almost an hour. She fell asleep at 530 last night so I went to bed around 630. I know I got about 8 hours of sleep, but I don't want to be awake right now and she doesn't want to be asleep. We had a great thing going until the time change. Should I blame this on that or the 18 month sleep regression? It's getting old fast and my pregnant self just wants to sleep forever. 
  • Home with a sick kid today. He cried almost all night, no fever. Of course he’s acting completely normal now so no clue what was up. I can’t wait until nap time!
  • @rachelg777 are you dealing with an 18 month regression too? 
  • @ruby696 and @lajoliedreamer I did cave and call the dr office yesterday around 3 (they close at 4) and said I could see online they were delivered to dr but not shared online so it made me nervous something was wrong and could they please call back as soon as possible (even though I am aware that's how they delay results even if nothing is wrong, but figured playing dumb might help).  No call back yesterday.  Surely they'll get back to me today though...right? I can't wait the entire weekend.  Also how dumb is it that the results will be released at 8AM Monday morning.  If the dr doesn't call today you know they won't call back before 8 Monday so they might as well just release them at 4 or 5 today lol.  So here's to sitting by my phone all day hoping for a call with good news!

@babyfoxden10 hopefully once you get closer and finalize a daycare you'll feel more comfortable with them and it won't be quite so hard.  Also the pregnancy hormones don't help lol

@jhysmath and @rachelg777 solidarity on the no sleep thing today.  DD (2) had been doing amazing all week sleeping the entire night IN HER OWN BED (we bed shared and working on getting our bed back lol) but last night she had me up from 12:30-2:30 fussing and not easily being consoled.  Still not sure what is going on. Maybe 2 year molars? Lord help us.  Hope you guys can get some sleep soon! 
  • Fx you get great results today @bananapanda!!
  • @jhysmath Yes we’ve been dealing with something this week- I’ve been attributing it mostly to the time change since it’s mostly been early wakeups. But I think last night it was a combo of teeth and that plus congestion. Not sure! How long has it been going on for you? I hope you guys get some relief soon and things sort themselves out! 

@bananapanda thanks and sending some sleepy vibes right back at you guys!

• My H submitted our Wm grocery order without asking me last night. Sometimes I make the list and still go shopping myself just to get out of the house. The kids and I haven’t left the house all week and today was supposed to be our day out. Now we have no reason to leave and this is first world problems I know, but I literally feel like crying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I'd be taking the kids to Target or something and just wandering for a while. Or to the library. Or anywhere that's away from your in-laws. 
  • @Austenista I do grocery pick up and our weekly outings instead consist of target trips, lunch at McDonald’s, the playground or even just strolling Marshall’s looking for deals. 

The grocery store makes me gaggy these days so I avoid it at all costs, but i also understand needing to leave the house for any reason at all. Especially as a SAHM with little social life.
  • If I need to get out of the house I hit the post office, the bank, the pet supply/feed store, and my favorite department store just to browse the sales.  OR take the dog out in the woods.  I can at least pretend I'm getting something accomplished.
  • @rachelg777 It was just this week with early wake ups, but it's gotten old real quick. It would be one thing if she got up just an hour early. I could handle 5:15 instead of 6:15 but this 4:30 stuff is awful. I must say part of me is okay with it though because in the last few weeks she's given up her 1 am nursing session so I'm getting more connected sleep. 

@austenista Not a SAHM but when I was a nanny I looked forward to getting their groceries or going to activities so much. A day at home with two kids alone gets old real quick there's only so much you can do with the kids indoors. 
  • @jhysmath yes same boat he’s been getting up between 4-5 when he normally sleeps until 5:30-6. Ugh I hope it changes for you soon but that’s great about the connected sleep. I gave up all night nursing sessions a few months ago but it was tough on us both... great now though 😂. 
  • Random 1: I don't want to do the two work things I have left to do today. Coincidentally they are left to do because I haven't wanted to do them all week.

Random 2: What I really want to do is make the icing for my coconut cake (I WFH so could do this instead. But then I'd have to work over the weekend. Do not want to do that, either.)
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• 3pm and still no call from my dr.  I have been carrying my phone around glued to my hand on edge all day waiting on the call and nothing.  I told DH I felt physically sick not knowing if everything is ok and what is taking so long.  He took it upon himself to call the dr (I didn't dare try again after leaving a message because it says if you leave more than one it will delay the time it takes them to call you back).  He somehow got through instead of the 20 minute voicemail I always get.  They told him the dr was in this morning but is gone for the day and there's nothing they can do but if she didn't call yet it's "probably fine".  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?? They have had this since yesterday at 8AM and now I have to wait until Monday to find anything out.  I am completely beside myself over this wanting to throw up and crying nonstop over how ridiculous it is that they can't give me any answers and it's going to ruin my whole weekend.  Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I am so pissed and also why can't one of the nurses just look if it's "probably fine" and confirm? And since I left a voicemail yesterday afternoon asking to call back with results ASAP why didn't they get the dr to check them this morning when she was in? So many questions.  I really like my OB but hate the staff and really questioning if it's worth looking into switching.
  • @bananapanda that's sooo frustrating. I wish that they could understand how anxious the waiting is making you. I would hope that they know how important it is to get these results out quickly, especially if you have called and already expressed that you are nervous.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • @bananapanda I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. My office had a nurse call back. I can't believe they're being so difficult. 
  • @bananapanda, that is unacceptable, they have the results sitting there! My docs office called the afternoon after the results posted to my email. Why there is a delay in returning the results when they are available is beyond me...
    One silver lining is if they weren’t negative, they probably wouldn’t keep you waiting? I would hope that is the case, not really an excuse. 
    I am sorry, that is frustrating.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @bananapanda I’m sorry that sucks. I hope there really is nothing to worry about and they get back to you first thing Monday morning.

Sorry I’ve been MIA this week, work was pretty intense all week, with extra hours and trying to meet a deadline. I’m trying to catch up now and respond when and where I can.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @bananapanda that’s ridiculous! I would be upset too.
    We have been dealing with illness all week and I thought we were finally doing better until this afternoon both DS and I are
    down for the count again, we are both miserable and I am beyond exhausted but can’t get comfortable enough to sleep
  • @bananapanda I’m sorry you’re having to wait. Like others said, hopefully it means there’s nothing of concern, otherwise they would probably make a point to call you.
  • @bananapanda I know this might not alleviate your stress, but my doctors office doesn’t call with test results. If they’re good, we go over them at the next appointment unless we state ahead of time that we want to know ASAP. I always go with the saying that no news, is good news. Try not to stress too much. 
  • Thanks, everyone for the reassuring words.  The labcorp portal says my results will be available at 8:09 tomorrow morning so I'm assuming the dr won't be calling me with results and I'll find out myself in the morning.  Hoping the report is easy enough to decipher! I did panorma with DD last time and it was super easy, but this time we did informaseq so we'll see what it looks like.
  • @bananapanda yay!! I’m sure you’re so relieved now congrats and on second little girl also!
  • @bananapanda That's awesome!  I hope you are feeling some relief!  I'm still waiting for results...  ugh, my blood draw was a week ago Thursday, so today is 11 days later, but not 11 business days, I'm tired of waiting.