April 2020 Moms

The Great Big Registry Post!

Re: The Great Big Registry Post!

• Also, we didn’t have very many newborn clothes and he grew out of them within a month or so anyway. We just did a fair amount of laundry early on. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @literatureandink I don’t think I registered for many clothes at all but received plenty. We anticipated our first being big (ultrasounds were measuring him on the big side) and he wasn’t. I didn’t have enough newborn sizes for him, lesson learned and thank goodness for Amazon Prime lol 

Definitely zip up footed jammies. Snaps are evil especially at night. I also hate baby socks, they fall off all the time. Zutano Booties are amazing, I gift them to every mom. Jackets are also not necessary and I hate the way the zipper always bunched under the chin. We kept baby warm with blankets. We still get snow well into May and sometimes June so I’ll be having on hand the Carter’s bear suit too for cooler walks. Otherwise, plenty of onesies and pants. I usually changed baby at least once in the first 2-3 months due to spit up or blowouts and I try not to do laundry every day. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't register for many clothes and ended up getting a lot at my shower. DD was 4w early and we ended up needing Preemie clothes. She was in NB and 0-3m for forever. I wouldn't buy too much in the beginning, until you see how big your baby is at birth.

I agree with all of the other suggestions of zippered sleepers/onsies/pants. That is all I plan to get for the first few months. They are so easy. We ended up with a lot of dresses and outfits that just weren't practical, but were certainly cute!
  • I agree with the zippered sleepers, onesies, and pants. Do not get snapped sleepers. They are the worst. I would suggest getting some swaddles too. I liked the velcro ones. I didn't swaddle my son for long since he ended up hating it, but it's nice for some babies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @coaster102516 those Zutano booties are so cute! Going on the list. 😀
  • The goumikids version of the booties shows up on my Instagram all.the.time. You just inspired me to put some on my registry.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited November 2019
    I'm going to be the person who votes for snaps.  I prefer them since you only need to unsnap the bottom which is handy especially in the middle of the night and you don't want to completely un-swaddle.  The footies that have the reverse zipper are good, but I still feel like its a struggle to get the nonzipper side leg out. 

Like everyone else said, onesies and pants are the easiest.  We had to run out and get a bunch of newborn size stuff since we didn't have enough.  People will gift you a ton of impracticable things that are cute.

We used the Halo swaddles for both kids.   

Edit typo
  • zutano booties! halo swaddles, zip up footies, muslin blankets for carseat-swing etc. mittens if not in footies b/c nails are sharp, gerber cloth diapers as spit up cloths and everyday use! 

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • All this clothing info is super helpful!
  • I recommend the wide burp cloths if you can get those. I had a child with reflux who spit up a lot so having wider burp cloths definitely helped. We got some nice wide ones from Carters.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Baby Jogger (the stroller brand) is doing 35% off right now if anyone is shopping for that. The promo code we used was bj35. We got a City Select in one of the discontinued colors for like $260 which is a pretty big savings.

I’m a FTM but tested it out at Nordstrom along with the Uppababy and other nice brands and really liked it. I know there were a lot of moms recommending it on the older product spotlight stroller thread. 
  • Like @Kathryn0903 we used wide burp cloths for everything. Ours are from copper pearl. I would keep one under DS in any bouncer or RnP or if just being held. Much easier to wash a burp cloths than a whole baby bouncer.
  • Copper Pearl also makes some cute drool bibs, which you'll want once your baby starts teething.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @independentgeorge that's such a great deal! We love our City Select, it's held up really well.
  • Got my Amazon registry box. Lots of good stuff - newborn pacifiers, swaddle, onesies, bottle, pampers changing pad, several samples and coupons.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Check out target today and tomorrrow for early Black Friday deals! Got my Ergobaby 360 for half off this morning. Also some car seats and baby monitor on there!
  • @literatureandink we loved the cloud island ( from target) zippered footies when our last was little because they had the inverted zipper but I love the baby gowns with the elastic bottoms at first and just swaddle. No zippers or snaps in the middle of the night at all! During the day, we did more of the zippered sleep and plays at first. All of mine were small, so were in preemie clothes at first, then newborn but I only had enough of each thing for about a week. My oldest spit up a lot more than my youngest so I had to have so many bibs and burp cloths and changes of clothes with him. Amazon prime is a life saver! I didnt buy a ton and just ordered as we needed more. Also, for swaddling at the beginning, I find that the regular receiving blankets made a better tighter swaddle than the muslin, but it's all preference. 
  • How about nursing chairs? Any favorites? Do you prefer rocking / reclining?
  • @liligirl87 we purchased a traditional rocker with an ottoman for our first. Like a stroller, this is an item you want to splurge on because you’ll spend a ton of time in it. Although I still love it, I wished it could recline. We will use a rocker recliner with this baby (the original is staying in DD’s room). The reclining featuring is so helpful for those nights you spend hours in their room. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 

• I think we're going to opt for a rocker/recliner as well...I foresee many late nights in it, might as well be comfy.
  • I went with the traditional glider with an ottoman. I find it really comfortable, but DH hates it and refuses to sit in it. Just make sure whatever you get is comfortable for you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I'm hoping to get a Dutailier glider. They're made here in Canada and after testing out a ton of gliders at a baby store they were consistently my favourite. 
  • Any STM+'s have a favorite nightlight you used for night feedings? The one I used with DD was too dim and I ended up putting on the bathroom light instead. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kerriann0o114 if you plan to use a sound machine as well, the Hatch Sound Machine is awesome. Can control color/brightness and doubles as an Ok to Wake clock when baby becomes a toddler. My son now uses the sphere nightlight by pillowfort (Target). The light it came with was bright, I ended changing out the bulb. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013

• @coaster102516 When you say Zutano booties, do you mean specifically that brand, or just that style of bootie?
  • I want to put a baby first aid/grooming kit on ours. Any recommendations?
  • @coaster102516 it's a brand. They make cotton ones, fleece ones, grippy bottom ones. We loved ours. Way easier to stay on then socks- especially at daycare.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @kourthous I’m only familiar with Zutano but I would think a similar style would work? I just don’t know about quality I guess. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013

• @smallbutmighty77 that is too funny!!!!  What will they think of next??
  • Anyone have a favorite bag for traveling with bottles of formula/breastmilk?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sanpelligrino I guess I'm looking for more of a bag to put within a diaper bag.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I found the skip hop bag to be great. It comes with a freezer pack too. I mostly  used it to store my breast pump and extra bags when I was traveling, but it kept milk cold pretty well too.

• anyone have experience with the Britax B-Free & Endeavors travel system w/stroller and car seat? registered for it today and just curious about any first-hand experiences 
  • here's a question - has anyone gone out to stores to try out strollers and nursery furniture? what stores did you go to? It's hard for me to buy these types of things without getting to test it out a bit first but with Babies R Us out of business, I'm sort of at a loss as to where we can go that will have some good selections and some stuff "out of box" for us to really get a good sense. We tried Target, but our local target (inner city) only had 3 different strollers and 2 different nursery rockers. :( 

What other places did folks try?
  • @danibean19 do you have a BuyBuyBaby anywhere nearby? Maybe try a different Target. I've found selection vary at different ones.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are Boppys useful if you only bottlefeed? Never got one first time around, but wondering if it would be helpful even though I'll only formula feed.
    BabyFruit Ticker