Infertility

New Here IVF

Hi, I am new here. I will be starting IVF within the next few months. Hubby and I are in the process of getting tests done. We are on a medical clock because of some medical complications and not because of age. I am very scared to do IVF. I have three illnesses and understood from my doc that IVF is like an extra chronic illness to the mind and body. I think that it will be relatively easy on my mind, mentally, because I have been through extended abuse and torture in my life and am used to managing tough stuff. I also have my faith which is a core coping mechanism to handle disappointments and the emotions that are natural with IVF. Physically, I am scared though in terms of functioning. I am healing from my other chronic illnesses so that by the time I do IVF in a few months, it may not be so heavy on my body. But, I don't really know. 

I am also scared of pregnancy because I suffer from seizures. I had 24 in the last month... I hope I don't have to get to bed rest...
But these fears are later on... I am working really hard on combatting this fear of losing the baby due to a fall. Again, faith comes into play and I know that at the end of the day I have comfort surrounding me through faith. 
PomegranateSeeds

Re: New Here IVF

• Hello dear, so sorry to hear about the things you're going through.  I do hope your ivf journey will be gentle to you.  Good luck!
  • Thank you so very much!
    PomegranateSeeds
  • Loading the player...
  • IVF can be more emotionally draining than physically, so I would find a way to support your mind and heart while you are waiting to start (maybe a hobby that distracts you, a new pet to nurture, a therapist, etc). The only annoying side effects I had physically from IVF were hot flashes and fatigue, but I was definitely stressed emotionally. I spent a great deal of time being kind to myself and treating myself during my cycle. 

As for the seizures, my sister developed frequent fainting spells during her pregnancies and was on restricted activity due to the risk of falls -- but both of her children were born healthy and safe. Are you using any medicine to control the seizures currently? 24 in a month sounds somewhat uncontrolled so I might want to address that before starting IVF...but I wouldn't overly worry about the risk of falls. Your OB may put you on bed rest or simply restricted activity (my sister couldn't drive, for example). It's annoying but it's manageable. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. I truly appreciate it.

I am glad to hear that for some people IVF isnt as physically draining. That is a really good sign. 
    Regarding my seizures, I have a rare type that there is little research on... It is uncontrolled because of the lack of medical research and resources... 
    PomegranateSeeds
  • How are you getting along?  Did your OB and RE give you a go signal?
  • Warmest of welcomes. I hope your stay is short. 🙂
    On 10/23/13 Baby Sophie and Baby Gabriel born at 21+5 weeks. They grew wings and flew away from us. May God bless them always. We love you beans!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Phoebe Jaslene born at 19w3d. We love you beba! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• edited October 2019
    Thanks for asking. The appointments where I am at are very slow. We are both going to genetic testing and doing some other tests.

Thank you for your warm welcome
    PomegranateSeeds
  • You're welcome!  Do keep us updated!
  • It will be at least 3 months until I start IVF because of testing and appointments we need to have. My insurance has more of a medical need than doctors to meet that need. So it will be Feb that I will start at the earliest. 

Tonight, i thought a bit about IVF and realized that this is really happening and I think I will be okay.

I mopped tonight which is a huge achievement for me. But, I tried to organize the bottom of my closet and my knees really hurt from the position. 

I also got a little nervous because I had a seizure out of the blue yesterday. One thing I know is that I am walking down the hallway toward my room, and the next I am seizing. Since I don't have epilepsy I am conscious during my seizures, once I realized what was causing it, I was able to attend myself and stop the cause. My seizure stopped abruptly and I got off the floor and continued as nothing had happened.

But, if I have a baby inside, everything changes. Depending on the month I am in. I will be pretty safe for the first 6 months because when I fall I fall on my knees. But when I am larger if I fall on my knees my stomach will hit the floor, but my knees first, so the initial hit to the floor won't be my stomach.

Hubby doesn't like to think of these things, and I know that it can cause anxiety, but at this moment, writing here is very clarifying for me. 

Thank you for your presence here. I appreciate it.
    PomegranateSeeds
  • @pomegranateseeds there is a benched/waiting thread if you'd like to join the few of us ladies there! Each of us have a few months before we're going to be doing IVF or FETs. I'm waiting on having a biopsy to check for inflammation and the timing of the FET so I'm looking at a real FET probably sometime in March.

We'd love to have you 🙂
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • welcome, @pomegranateseeds,
    It's so familiar to see you thinking so much ahead, worrying how you'l manage if you have a pregnant belly. I think that one thing that I really learned during IVF and fertility treatment - taking one day at a time. Once the decision is made to go through this, do the best for yourself today, and let the worrying about tomorrow come tomorrow. (and yes, it's much easier said than done).

Best of luck to you! Hope you'll get cleared for the process soon, and get the seizures a bit more under control.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Thank you for your caring. Thinking ahead calms me down rather than having the opposite effect. I hear that it can have another effect.
    Today I did guided imagery and imagined pregnancy, birth, and life as a mommy. I see that in order to feel able to go through this IVF process I need to have more information about birthing options. I may discuss this with medical professionals, a doula, or a friend. 
    Thank you for listening
    PomegranateSeeds
  • You are amazing @pomegranateseeds.  Maybe it's best if you have a person with you at all times?  It is scary whenever you fall.  I pray the IVF journey will be a quick one for you.  I wish you all the best and sending over good and positive vibes.  

• Thank you so so much!
    PomegranateSeeds