June 2020 Moms

AMA Mamas Over Here!

maryanne2019maryanne2019 member
edited October 2019 in June 2020 Moms
Hello!  I’m 36 (will be 37 in January) and this will be my second child.  DD just turned 4 and we’re super excited.  When I had DD at 32, I thought I’d be having another within 2-3 years alas life got in the way and I finally feel ready again and so grateful that this is happening.  I wonder how the pregnancy and recovery will be different if at all?  I’m definitely getting the NIPT test at 9 weeks (we did maternit21 with my first).  I don’t feel soo old but did sign up to a maternal fetal OB (ie high risk) just in case.

Anyway, please introduce yourselves!!  Let’s discuss all things AMA.  

Re: AMA Mamas Over Here!

• I am 39.  Going to be 40 in March. Not sure how that is possible. I was 33 when I had DD, so AMA is new for me.  I havent spoken to my doctor yet, but I am sure I will be getting the NIPT within the next few weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just turned 35 this summer. This is my third baby, but first at AMA status. I did the NIPT with both of my previous pregnancies because that is just standard for my office. I didn't pay the first time and paid a $200 deductible the second time. I'm hoping my new status gets me off free again 🙃
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kyrwyn good to hear!  I’m prepping to hear how I’m so old from now forward!
  • Hello 👋I’m also 36(turning 37 in January) This is my very first baby and being in AMA so not really sure what to expect. Never expected to be this age for pregnancy but here I am. I am very excited 😁 I would like to get the NIPT too but once I get further along in weeks. 

• @mindyb2019 I was a similar age with my first (turned 37 in 2nd tri), and it also wasn't the timing I had hoped for. But everything worked out wonderfully.

I've found a lot of peace of mind in being an older FTM. I definitely feel more able to separate fact from opinion than my 20-something self was, and I'm less worried about conforming to others' expectations about parenting. While there are downsides to AMA, there's also some hidden benefits. ❤️
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dirftmd so true!  Also NY here (Suburbs) and it's common to have the first pregnancy at 40.
  • @kyrwyn thank you. That’s good to know you were similar in age to me around that time and everything worked out wonderfully for you. ❤️ It’s nice to hear that. 
  • Yea I don't understand how things drastically change as soon as you turn 35. I would imagine it is dependent on the person. My second took 8 months to conceive and that was when I was 31. This one was a surprise at age 35. I think the significant change in stress (ie. Lack thereof) played the biggest role in me getting KU this time and it taking a while last time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello! One more AMA mom joining the club. I am 35 and will be 36 right before this baby is born. I am trying not to let having a "geriatric pregnancy" get to me. So many women are having babies later in life now. It doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as it's made out to be.
  • So at my intake appointment they said starting around 16 weeks I should take a baby aspirin to help prevent pre-e because my age and weight put me at risk. I have had no symptoms of pre-e in previous pregnancies and want to talk to my doctor more about this because my gut is that it's not necessary. I need to do some research for sure.

They want me to get progesterone shots again to help prevent a preterm birth, as my first arrived unexpectedly at 34 weeks. It's annoying, but my second made it almost to his due date and if that in any way helped, I'm down. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NikkiSingsNikkiSings member
    edited October 2019
    Me too! I'll be 37 on Nov. 3rd. We started trying when I was 32, and here we are. :) I haven't looked into the NIPT test at all, should I just wait for my first OB appointment on 11/29 to ask her about it? Thanks in advance! Also, I live in Minneapolis and lots of people are having their first babies (like me) in their mid to late 30s and beyond. :)

Edit: Hm, my 1st OB appt will be at 11 weeks - does the NIPT have to come at 9 weeks? Maybe I need to do a little reading... 
  • I have had both previous NIPT (the blood test, right?) done at 12 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lurking this thread

@diagonalley My first was 35 weeker, second was 38+6, no progesterone shots. Preemies are so hard! I totally get doing shots!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @diagonalley Thank you! Also, I feel you re: progesterone shots, they were part of our (Invocell) IVF protocol. <3
  • @pourmeanothermocktail I never truly realized just how hard my preemie was until I had a full term baby to compare the two.

My preemie spent 12 days in the NICU and came home on a monitor that was attached to him for the next 3 months. It was isolating and I felt like I couldn't really go anywhere with him. I was devastated with the fact that he came early and my body failed him, yet people just kept congratulating me and that pissed me off. He slept like crap and ended up being a cosleeper for 8 months because that was the only way I could get sleep.  MOTN feedings took at minimum an hour start to finish and because he was a preemie, I felt like I HAD to feed him every 3 hours. 

My second was soooo different. I could nurse him in 10 minutes or less, swaddle him back up, and walk away. He put himself to sleep. He was super chill and not at all demanding. Maybe some of it is personality, but most of it has to do with gestation IMO.

Also, I can't even imagine having a baby in the NICU and kids at home. I left the NICU to sleep and that's it. 

Basically, shoot me up with all the progesterone 😂
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @diagonalley 20 days NICU here. And I was post c section (not at that hospital) and broke. So I had to get dropped off there, couldn't drive, and had to pack a lunch to bring. Was there about 12 hours a day. I couldn't imagine having other kids, nope. He slept in our bed until 15 months, because otherwise I got no sleep. He didn't let me put him down until he was 8 months old. I had to pump before and after feeding him, because flow was too fast, so he couldn't swallow.

My second was...easier. She did always like to take her afternoon nap long and by herself. She played independently much earlier. And let me put her down at 5 months old. Her personality is actually LESS easy going about things, but she was still easier.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @NikkiSings If I remember correctly, I think NIPT was that you needed to be at least 9 or 10 weeks to ensure there was enough fetal DNA in your blood for them to test but later is fine. I think if you were to do the NT scan, that's usually at 12 weeks so it might be a quick turnaround between appointments. Wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor's office to be sure. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • @NikkiSings NIPT has to be done after 9 weeks but doesn’t have to be at 9. I’m doing mine at 11 with the NT at 12.   It’s annoying to have two appointments but the ultrasounds are typically done separately anyway.

• Hi all! I’m 39 (as of 2 days ago) and I was 37 when I had DD - so I’ve only experienced pregnancy AMA. As far as I can tell, all it changed was that I got a bit more testing. I have my first appointment this week and I can’t wait to hear a heartbeat!
  • I am 37 as of last week.  I do feel more mature this go-round.  More sure of my decisions that I think comes with age.  My DS is 4.5 and I can not wait to tell him!  I am curious how different this pregnancy will be also.  I am signed up to go to an MFM also.  I also want NIPT and any other genetic screenings that are NOT done by amnio or other invasive methods. Right now I am not really moody, but just not taking any shit from anyone.  I am normally super passive, but right now I cannot control my mouth and it's getting me in trouble HAH! I have no time for anyone's BS these days.  
  • @kelleyma82 I also have a 4 year old DD that I just told!  She’s super excited!  I originally thought I’d have #2 sooner but I’m pretty happy where things are now and hope DD can help when baby comes rather than still being a baby herself!
  • @maryanne2019 YES! I thought #2 would be sooner and I am hoping he can be useful and want to help!  Also I think it will be nice that he will be old enough to understand everything going on.  I wanted to wait until i have a US picture to give him before telling him, but its like a week away and KILLING me! HAHA
  • Hi, I'm new here! Can someone tell me what AMA stands for so I know I'm in the right group? 😳
  • Hi, I'm new here! Can someone tell me what AMA stands for so I know I'm in the right group? 😳
    Advanced Maternal Age, i.e. over 35 years old. 
  • Thank you, not there yet but almost! 
  • Is anyone "older " (I am 39, due 6/15/20) having the genetic bloodwork done( Panorama)?  If so when? I am scheduled for 12 weeks, Nov.26th and then go in for my 2nd ultrasound and the results of the labs. Are you nervous about this test? For me, I can't stop worrying about it!! How old are some of you June 2020 mommies to be?
  • @ambosb I'm also 39, due just before I turn 40. I plan on doing the NIPT testing in December. With my DS, it was available to us after 11 weeks (Counsyl test). I'm not that worried about it because I can't do anything to change the outcome -- those chromosomes were sorted weeks ago -- but of course I'll feel better after a good set of test results. :) 

I don't even have my OB intake appointment until the 26th, so maybe all my anxiety is focused on a happy, healthy first scan with a heartbeat. FX for all good news for you, and a happy and healthy pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ambosb I’m 36 and will be 37 in 2020 before my baby is due. This is my first pregnancy and I will definitely
     be getting the NIPT test done. Not sure when yet but as soon as I can. I need to talk to my doctor and set that up. I hope in December. I’m nervous about it but trying to stay positive that I will get good results. 🤞 
  • @ambosb I’m 36 and will be taking it at 11 weeks. When I was 32 with my first we did it at 9 weeks.  I’m so happy it’s available and safer than CVS, etc.  You can find out gender too.
  • I'm 35 and took panorama with my first two pregnancies and looking forward to doing it again.  It's a little nerve wracking, but pregnancy is in general because there are just so many uncertainties. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the lab we go to does Sequenom, but basically same thing, cell-free fetal DNA testing. I found it reassuring last time and am looking forward to getting the results and hopefully feeling more at ease.
  • Hey ladies! So glad this thread exists. I am 35 and this will be my first AMA pregnancy. I have a friend who recently had a baby at 36 and she commented last yr during her pregnancy how they always referred to her as geriatric at her appointments... haha oh man. So I am prepared to be reminded of my age.
  • My doctor was apologetic last night about having to call me AMA.  My genetic testing and NT scan will be the 21st.  I'll be 12 weeks then. 
  • Just turned 41 in October.  I feel like a granny lol Had 3 children in my previous marriage,  now 16, 14 and 13. Didn't think I'd want more kids but super excited that me and SO can have one that belongs to "us" to add to our family. He has a 5 and 9 year old from previous marriage. We may need a bigger house lol
  • I’m 43, and I just literally became a grandma October 14th. Lol This is my 9th baby, and I’m excited but still super cautious. Close friends and family know, but I’m 15 weeks and still haven’t announced. I had a really heavy bleed at 12 weeks. Baby is good, but my husband is retired military so our medical care is terrible. I’m looking into switching insurance companies and just paying extra to have better prenatal care. I feel super blessed to be pregnant at my age. Our oldest daughter is getting married in 10 days. I’m sure people will gossip about the mother of the bride being pregnant... 😉😂
  • I will add that our oldest is 21 and married with a son of their own, and our youngest son is 4.