March 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY: Where are you located?

2»

Re: GTKY: Where are you located?

• Options
    I love this thread!

With as much or little detail as you please, tell us where you live!  

Northside of Chicago

What do you love about where you live?
    I love that Chicago is like the best of all worlds in terms of city living (imo!). You get a huge city, with all the amenities, restaurants, theater scene etc but it's not outrageously expensive like a Coastal city would be (we actually moved here from the East Coast for that reason). So, we can afford to live right in the city and take advantage of everything it has to offer, which we couldn't do where we were on the East Coast, or in LA where my husband's family are from.

I also really love that Chicago has a very developed set of civic programs and public spaces - that are super affordable (subsidized) and mean that there's a very democratic feel to things like parks and stuff - so much free programming and things like parks district after school clubs and classes that make the city really accessible for everyone. My son and I have loved going to parks district classes this year!

Lastly, the food and restaurant scene here is outstanding. Way better than where we lived before. 

What do you hate about where you live?
    Honestly, the very minor: I hate that in the throes of winter there is absolutely nothing green anywhere. I don't mind the cold really at all. It's just the lack of green that gets me down.

What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region?
    We haven't lived here too long, but people always want to get deep dish...which honestly just makes me feel ill for two weeks. I usually take people to a couple of nice neighborhood places, including a German sausage shop roof deck.

• Options

@pdx2020 DH and I got engaged on a trip to Portland! He proposed at Multnomah Falls :) I’d love to go back- it really is a city that has everything! Beer, wine, outdoors, food, cute shops.. we went to Powell’s twice in a weekend - obsessed with it there too @kagesstarshroom!

@madamemerle I forgot you were from Chicago (did I even know this at one point in time? Who knows, lol!) Where are you in the city? We should meet up! We just moved from the West Loop area to a suburb on the North Shore, so depending on traffic we're like 20 minutes from the North Side. 

---

We just moved from the city of Chicago (close to downtown) to a suburb about 20 miles north of the city.

I teach in the same district we moved to, so I am very excited about our LO going to school in my district. I'm born and raised in the Chicago suburbs so my family is here, and we absolutely loved living in the city. Chicago has a big city feel but is manageable yet has so much to do. Also, the FOOD!

Life in the 'burbs is just different than city life, lol. Less to do, although I'm not motivated to do much these days. I don't love midwest winters, but as long as they don't last from November-May, I can deal with a few -30F days like we had last year.

Anywhere- there's something for everyone here! I do love deep dish pizza (Lou Malnati's is a fav for anyone who is visiting Chicago), but there are so many good restaurants all over the city, especially in our old neighborhood. Lots of local breweries, too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom That depends...is it a hoagie or a sub? lol 
  • Options
    @stacey6689 Hoagie all day every day.
  • Options
    @mommyxthree2020 yay another Mainer! I’m not from here originally but I’ve learned to love it (at least spring, summer, and fall)
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    @lemonlove86.

We are in North Center (St Bens) atm, but we just bought a place just about a mile away in a weird few blocks that no one seems to claim: it's kind of Ravenswood/Lakeview/North Center borders. 

Where are you? Would definitely be up for a potential meetup 😊
  • Options
    @pdx2020 I'd love some recs!!  Especially for a good mocktail :) 
  • Options
    @keeksie84 the best new place is EEM — it’s a vacation-themed BBQ/Thai curry spot and they have an entire “clear-headed” section of the cocktail menu. I’ve had the Ghost Dance. Can be a bit of a line if you don’t get in early, but 1000% worth it. 

Oven & Shaker is downtown and has amazing salads/really good pizza and weirdly enough, dry pineapple punch. They have a whole “booze free” section on their menu. 

Also, all of the Pok Pok restaurants have no-proof drinking vinegars that might be my favorite things ever 🤤

Have a great visit! 
  • Options
    @pdx2020 drinking vinegars sound amazing. I am a big sour beer drinker and I have been really craving it. That might just do the trick! 
  • Options
    I've never been to Pok Pok so that's high on my list. We're only there for a night so we'll see how much I can squeeze in. Thanks for the recs!! <3
  • Options
    @keeksie84 If you’re short on time, the Pok Pok Wings and Pok Pok NW have pretty similar menus (and vinegars!) to the original, but way shorter waits. Or, you can get drinks at the Pok Pok Whiskey Lounge and get your names on the list across the street. They walk you over, drink in hand 🤗 
  • Options
    @mommyxthree2020 that restaurant sounds amazing! I guess I need to plan a trip to Maine...
  • Options
    Where do you live? I live in Dallas, Texas where I was born and raised! I live in the city (as opposed to one of the suburbs) and love it. What do you love about where you live? I love the blend of cultures! There are a number of refugee communities that house lovely people from a variety of backgrounds. There is a large population of Hispanic men and women who are always keen to help me with my Spanish and offer me delicious foods! The universities in the area host a large amount of international students from across the globe. Seriously, it’s incredible learning everyday from new friends that you make at the supermarket or just in the neighborhoods! Also, have I mentioned Tex-Mex? What do you hate about where you live? I am OVER this heat. Hottest September in Texas history is happening right now. Yikes. What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region? Tex- Mex. My sweet husband has learned that this is my only food group. Bless his soul.
  • Options
    @kthom2018 when I worked I had to travel to Dallas a few times and the Tex Mex was the best! I pretty much ate it every night! Best fajitas I’ve ever had were in Dallas! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    @mommytimesfour Fellow NorCal girl over here 🙋🏼‍♀️

With as much or little detail as you please, tell us where you live!  We live in Chico, CA

What do you love about where you live? We love all of the nature we are surrounded with, and after spending several years in Orange County- we love the lack of traffic! It’s so nice to leave our neighborhood and drive thru nothing to get to the next town. Orchards, cows, mountains, I love it all!

What do you hate about where you live? Our little town is experiencing some challenges with the homeless population and an increase in crime which sucks. Luckily we live a little ways outside of town so our nook is peaceful.

What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region? SIERRA NEVADA BREWERY lol they are part of the reason we decided to settle here! I am seriously missing their beer right now.
  • Options
    San Diego, California

We live inland of San Diego County near an incorporated city called Rancho San Diego.

What isn't there to love about San Diego? I live 20 minutes from the beach, 30 minutes from the mountains and close to everything (shopping, amusement parks, downtown). We are not as old as the East Coast, but we do have a lot of history. We really like going to Balboa Park (yes, the famous zoo is there) and just walk around. The climate is one the best from all the cities I've visited. It only snows in the mountains, rains about a month total per year, and we rarely have humidity (If we do, we can thank the push from Mexico's climate). We hardly ever get an earthquake; I can't even tell you the last time I've felt one. The food scene is pretty fantastic. We are known for Mexican food... so many taco shops! And if you like beer and wine we have tons of breweries and vineyards!

Since we are a military and college city, the traffic is horrendous. Forget about going to the beach during the summer because that's where all the tourists go. Also, the homeless population is staggering. That's one comment I get the most about San Diego. Lastly, yes it is expensive. But we make it work just like anybody else! 

I would take them to Old Town. Tons of Mexican food choices! Fish tacos... yummy! I know people love In N Out's fries, but I'm not a fan. Their burgers taste fresh and its inexpensive! If you love grilled onions, order it "animal style" (secret menu item).

1999 - Starting dating (in High School!)
    2005 - Got hitched
    2009 - Trying to grow our family...
    2017 - BFP!! Baby Declan born December 2017
    2019 - BFP!! Baby Girl EDD March 2020 
  • Options
    Just north of San Francisco, CA

The weather, the beautiful scenery.  Access to a variety of landscapes (beach, the city, rural mountain hikes and wine country). Also great food.

It’s too dang expensive. Also, I travel a lot for work and have noticed recently that some people passionately hate folks from CA. 

I’m from the east coast so I know we don’t have the best Italian/pizza or bagels! but it’s hard to find great Mexican and sushi like we have on the west coast here. Also, there are some really amazing restaurants in Napa. 

@miss.sally I visited Pittsburgh for business recently and thought, Wow! This is the most underrated city I’ve ever been to. Beautiful fun and clean city! I was amazed. 

@zetuslapetus: I grew up in central FL so know what you’re talking about. In the summer my mom would say, “Go outside and play!” And I would think, “She’s trying to kill me!”  Soooo much good Italian food and the best Pizza 🍕 🤤

@kagesstarshroom: I love the NOLA area. If I lived there during pregnancy I would completely lose control of my weight. The Dr would have to sequester me in a weight control clinic!!  So much amazing food in your region.
  • Options
    @justlauren05 you’re tempting me to move to San Diego! Sounds fairly heavenly!!! 
  • Options
    @Cristin343 We do have so much good food in Louisiana! I'm 2 hours from NOLA proper--but there's good food everywhere. Unfortunately, most of the best of it is spicy, and spicy is enemy #1 on my "can't stand" list--anything with "too much flavor" is a no-go. It's quite sad, considering my great options!
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin I've been tempted to move to San Diego for the last 20 years, lol!  My dad's sister and her family live out there and going to visit them is always SOOOOOOO amazingly fun just because of the location.  It's BEAUTIFUL and there's so much to do.  

With as much or little detail as you please, tell us where you live!  I live in Springfield, IL, which is the Abraham Lincoln capital of the world.  It's also the capitol of Illinois, but most people only care about Chicago.

What do you love about where you live? I love that all of my mom's side of the family is here.  My dad's side is scattered around the US so I enjoy going to visit them and see all the neat places they live but I really love just being here at home. I like that there are all the seasons here, even though I hate being too hot or too cold, lol.  It's an interesting, historical little place and I dig it.  I also love that we have the Illinois State Fair.  So much good food and fun things to do without having to travel anywhere.

What do you hate about where you live? It is a ghost town at night!  There's pretty much nothing exciting to do here unless you're way into history and Abe Lincoln.  But that's been shoved down my throat since I was born so I'm not interested in going to the historic sites anymore.  There's not really any night life or fun activities, except for the water park that is only open in the summer.

What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region?  I take them to local places that serve really great horseshoes.  I know I mentioned horseshoes in the local food thread, but in case anyone missed it or doesn't know, a horseshoe is an open-faced sandwich with two pieces of toast covered in a meat of your choice (I go with bacon, but most people choose beef or buffalo chicken) and then topped with french fries and slathered in cheese sauce.  SOOOO GOOD.
  • Options
    heyahelmettheyahelmett member
    edited October 2019
    About 45 minutes north of Dallas, TX.

It's closer enough to an airport, train station, and major city that we have everything we need, but still have the small town suburb feel.

The heat! It was 100° here yesterday!

What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region? I normally just ask people what they feel like. There are enough different restaurants within a 30 minute drive that you can have 3 meals a day for 2 years straight and never eat at the same place twice! We do have a lot of good Tex-Mex here though!

@kthom2018 Hey fellow Texan! 
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin It is really a nice city. There's so much to do, as @Malidocious has said. It's one of those cities where we have A LOT of transplants who came to live here for college, work transfers, or military because they don't want to leave! When I tell people I was born and raised in SD, they call me a "unicorn". 
    1999 - Starting dating (in High School!)
    2005 - Got hitched
    2009 - Trying to grow our family...
    2017 - BFP!! Baby Declan born December 2017
    2019 - BFP!! Baby Girl EDD March 2020 
  • Options
    Man, so many cool places!!
    With as much or little detail as you please, tell us where you live!  OKC, OK!!

What do you love about where you live? I think I take a lot for granted as expected since I've been here my whole life, but you always hear how inherently nice the people are here. So I don't super notice it, and have always encountered nice people in other places as well. We have an NBA team (sorry Seattle-ites :#) which has really improved the vibe and cohesion of the city. I love the lakes and outdoors options except that there are only a couple months that aren't too hot or cold to enjoy them. We have a lot of friends and family here, and the cost of living is tough to beat. 

What do you hate about where you live? Oklahoma gets a really bad rap, and it probably does deserve a lot of it in many of the areas, but living in the bigger cities (grew up in Tulsa), I'm not really exposed to the close mindedness much, so that really bothers me that we all get labeled as such. 

What do you take guests to eat when they visit your region? We have a couple of great steakhouses that I would take someone to, and the restaurant group I work for opened up a cool restaurant/concert venue that is a sight to see!! I know there are a ton of new, trendy places opening up, but I'm not up with those because of the kids!!
  • Options
    @stac4056 11 year old me would have been so jealous that you grew up in Tulsa... I was obsessed with Hanson! LOL! 
  • Options
    @Malidocious oh yeaaaa, me too!! My shady neighbor friend told me she knew Taylor and that he wanted to take me on a date. We would always call some random automated number that she swore was theirs haha.
  • Options
    MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited October 2019
    @stac4056 The Hanson hotline!!!!  :D 
  • Options
    @stac4056 Someone, when i was a teen (in NJ, if that matters? just bc this is the "where are you located" thread?), gave me "Paris Hilton"'s phone number--the voicemail really sounded like her, and if she answered, she would insist she was Paris Hellman or something and that it wasn't Paris Hilton, and we needed to stop calling her. We were CONVINCED it was her, though, but now I realize it was probably not her and someone just spread the # saying it was Paris Hilton to seek revenge or something. Alas.
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom poor Paris Hellman, haha!!