Infertility

PIO tips?

Hi, I am new here. Went through two retrievals and getting ready for the transfer. Fingers crossed. Wanted to ask for tips about how to reduce pain from progesterone in oil. I am trying to warm the syringe  before injection and massaging the injection area but as days go by, still, I can barely move my leg...

Re: PIO tips?

• First, I want to wish you luck with your transfer!  I've used an ice pack to chill my bum before the shot, and a microwaved hot pack for a few minutes after.  I draw up the shot and then wrap the shot in the hot pack for a couple minutes...hubby pushes it in.  And then I walk around for 15 minutes which seems to keep me from stiffening up.  The first week, the shot site keeps me awake and hurts more after a couple hours.  After that first week, they just don't hurt much, at least for me.  
    Hopefully other ladies have some suggestions as well.
  • I put the whole PIO bottle in a hot glass of water for a while prior to drawing up the shot. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your reply. For how long? I tried that and also holding the syringe under hot running water for a min or so. I am also lying down for the shot to have my muscles completely relaxed. But I am still in a lot of pain...
  • See if your doctor will write you a prescription for Lidocaine.  I put it on 15-30 before my shot and it helps a lot with the pain!
    Infertility Journey (in spoiler because it's way too long and child/loss mentioned)
    Married: 08/09/2013; TTC #2
    Me: 31, possible PCOS and Septate Uterus (Septum removed in November 2017)
    DH: 31, MFI (Low Count and Low Motility)
    July 2017 - IUI #1 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    August 2017 - IUI #2 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    September 2017 - IUI #3 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    November 2017 - Uterine Septum removed
    December 2017 - IVF Consultation
    January 2018 - IVF #1 - Retrieval 1/24 - 2 Day 3 embryos (1 transferred fresh, 1 frozen) and 2 Day 5 embryos frozen
    February 2018 - Fresh Transfer - Transfer 1/27 (1 day 3 embryo) - BFN
    March 2018 - FET #1 - Transfer 3/2 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP!  1st beta (10dp5dt) - 101; 2nd beta (17dp5dt) - 3061! Due 11/18/2018
    March 2018 - Remaining embryos lost in malfunction.

October 8, 2018 - Son born at 34 weeks and a day due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  Spent 13 days in the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

June 2019 - IVF #2 - Cancelled - Cyst on Ovary
    July 2019 - IVF #2 Take 2 - Retrieval 8/1 - 5 Day 5 embryos frozen
    August 2019 - FET #1 - Cancelled - No Trilaminar Lining
    September 2019 - FET #1 - Transfer 9/25 (1 day 5 embryo) - Chemical Pregnancy - 1st beta (9dp5dt): 110; 2nd beta (14dp5dt): 357; 3rd beta (16dp5dt): 188; 4th beta (23dp5dt): 7
    November 2019 - FET #2 - Transfer 11/6 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFN
    December 2019 - FET #3 - Transfer 12/11 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP! - 1st beta (8dp5dt): 102; 2nd beta (15dp5dt): 2636! Due 08/28/2020

August 13, 2020 - Son born at 37 weeks an 6 days due to failed BPP (Gestational Diabetes).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have to take lovanox injections in my belly also.  I start by putting an ice pack on my bum (I just hold it in place by my pants) while that’s on there I get the PIO syringe ready and have the smaller needle put on so that it’s ready to be injected and I place the whole thing in a heating pad on high.  Then I get the other injection ready.  After about 5 min my hubby does the belly injection first and then the PIO straight from the heating pad.  It’s very warm to the touch but it goes in super quick.  I massage the area for a few min and then it’s good.  I have some stiffness deep in the muscle but nothing too bad.  The first week is definitely the hardest.  Good luck to you.  😊
  • Thank you! My right side is particularly painful since Monday, which was day 3 of pio shots. I flexed the muscle accidentally and I think that really did some damage. I was in tears by the end of the day, and I am usually pretty good at holding it...
    I will warm the oil for longer. I started lying down for the shots too and trying out a shorter needle. 
  • The needle needs to be long enough to reach the muscle.  Try putting all the weight on one leg and lift the leg up your injecting into.  That makes the muscle relaxed so your not jamming it into a flexed muscle.  This is the best info I have found about the PIO shots. 

• thank you @stellegalascione! This is interesting. I actually tried injecting while lying down and that seems to really help. Bottom line seems to be that, yes, the muscle must be relaxed. 
    ....But then of course I am paranoid - if it doesn't hurt does it mean it's not working.... :P
  • I have heard that walking after and not just sitting around helps to work the muscle out. I didn't really do that and dealt with the pain, but in the end...keeping your muscle active AFTER makes sense..
    Me: 45yo, DH: 47yo
    3 Daughters (singleton @27yo, ID  Di/Di Twins @34yo)
    Protein S Deficiency (Blood Clotting Disorder), MTHFR & VIT D issue 
    5 MC's:  Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks;  Natural MC @ 7wks; Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks; MC boy-D&C @ 9wks & Chem PG in 2019
    Tubes were tied after my Twins (and now I am old). Remarried and want to give my DH a baby!

IVF#1 OE June 2019 - ER 6/15/19, 24R, 21M, 20F, 7 6DBlasts Frozen for PGS Testing,
    RESULTS of PGS 4 abnormal girls,  2 abnormal boys, 1 indeterminate girl
    FET#1 OE August 23, 2019 (transferring 1 indeterminate girl & 1 abnormal boy) - BFN
    IVF#2 November 15, 2019 - ER 9R, 9M, 6F, 2 5dBlasts (fresh transfer) and 1 6DBlast frozen for PGS Testing,
    FRESH Transfer: November 20, 2019, 2 5-day blasts transferred!! 
    BFP 8dp5dt on 11/27 - 12/2 on FRER, BETA #1 12/2 - 11.93. BETA #2 12/4: 4.41 ~CHEMICAL PG
    ******************Starting Donor Process
    June 2020: Egg Donor Cycle and Fresh Transfer of 1 embryo in Czech Republic - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID19
    October 2020.  Split Cycle at UFC with a friend (Andrea) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague too  
    DE Retrieval 9/26/2020, 26R, 24M, 12 split Cycle, 9 Fertilized + 1 "questionable", PRAYING FOR AT LEAST 5 BLASTS
    10/1/2020: 4 5DBlasts (AA, BB, BC, BC), 10/2/2020: 3 6DBlasts (BB, BB, BC) FOR A TOTAL OF: 7 BLASTS!! THANK YOU GOD!!
    PGS RESULTS: 5 NORMALS! DAY 5: AA BOY, BB GIRL, BC BOY / DAY 6: BB GIRL, BC GIRL
    DE FET October 29, 2020 - CANCELED DUE TO FLUID IN LINING
    DE FET November 16th, 2020 (transferring an PGS normal Hatching AA Boy)
  • I second everything that was said above - especially the walking around afterwards, using a heating pad after. I also alternated which side each night so i wouldn't only do it on the right side or left side, and found that helped a lot!

• I have a routine, because let’s face it, synera patches are expensive and don’t always numb enough. I wrap an ice pack around my buttocks in the am and lay down for about 10-12 minutes icing. I then prep my injection and run it under hot water for a minute. I always Inject on the same side, as it’s easiest for me to do with my left hand ( I’m left handed) and I pull with my right hand and the injection with a bit of pressure, goes right in and I rarely feel it at all. I will also say it’s gets easier and easier.
  • I put the med bottle into my bra for 10-15 mins before injection to warm up the oil. Put a bandage with a little bit of Lidocaine cream on the injection site ~30 mins ahead. Husband injects me each day on alternative side while I lie down on my belly with a pillow under the hips, and I don't really move around or do anything special afterwards, as we do it right before bed.
    The only bad pain from it that I had before was after ~7-8 weeks of constant injections. But it doesn't feel that bad in the first few weeks.
    Also, I must say, the ladies who manage to inject themselves (with PIO in the butt) - you're my heroes! For me, big part of being able to tolerate it is that I can't fully relax and look away.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3