May 2020 Moms

STM Check-in September

Re: STM Check-in September

• EDD/Weeks + Days:  only 4w

How old is/are your other kid(s)?  3.5 yr old boy 

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? As great as a 3 year old can be! He’s in full day preschool 3 days a week and just started swimming lessons. We cannot wait to tell him - he’s been begging for a sibling for about.m a year now. 

Any questions/concerns? When is everyone else planning to tell their younger kiddos? We are trying to wait until at least 20 weeks to tell our DS but he’s also really observant and I don’t want him to just overhear and find out that way...and like a lot of other working moms our biggest concern is just daycare/pre school for 2. DS current school doesn’t start until 2.5 so I’m already wondering if it would be better to find a different program that also has an infant program so we aren’t dealing with 2 separate drop offs. 

What is your favorite thing about your kiddo right now?
    He’s so curious and independent! He loves nature and hiking which is so much fun (slow..but fun) and he’s really just a super cool little kid. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @randicap-2 +1 for issuing actual names like vagina. And +1 for @ruby696’s reasoning too. 
  • @randicap-2 +1 for using medical terms. Although it is kind of funny to hear my 4.5 year old say “my mommy pushes a baby out of her vagina” in casual conversation 😂
  • @ieles2531 It's hilarious when my 3yo talks about her vagina in public like she's talking about her arm. Still working on when it's appropriate to have those conversations... She has also informed strangers that her brother has a penis. 😕
  • @randicap-2 we use anatomically correct names for reasons mentioned above. :)
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 4 weeks+2 days

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 3 years old

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? He is doing well, though definitely coming into his own and is starting to become defiant. He was such a sweet toddler, and still is sweet, he just is getting sassy. 

Any questions/concerns? Nope

What is your favorite thing about your kiddo right now. He really is the sweetest cuddlebug. He'll snuggle on my lap, put his hand on my face and say "love you momma" and it slays me everytime. 

@Duckybears I am right there with you. In the past my pregnancies stopped developing at 7 weeks and with DS I needed progesterone. My doctor would not see me until the 16th and I am going to hold my breath until we make it past then. I'll be thinking of you!
  • What are you all putting on your list to buy for the next baby? I thought about making a STM Registry/Wish List thread but it's a little early for that. My daughter is 2.5 and we kept almost all her clothes and definitely all her gear, but I'm having fun thinking about the things I want to upgrade. I probably won't buy it all...

Some of the things on my registry/list are:
    Arms Reach Clear Vue Sleeper (we borrowed a Halo previously)
    Oxo Tot Sprout Chair (we have a chicco stack now, it's okay)
    Hatch baby rest
    rocking bassinet stand (this baby WILL nap somewhere that's not my arms, I have a vista bassinet a friend gave me that I'll use for downstairs naps)
    BabyBjorn mini (I only really like wearing 0-4m and this seems perfect for that, we have two Lilles)
    Baby scale (I breastfeed and liked the assurance of weight checks)
    Glass Avent Naturals bottles (we used these in plastic last time, I tossed them all and I want to use glass this time around, especially since we have a dishwasher now and I don't DW plastic)

Not upgrading:
    Car seat
    Strollers (I don't think we need a double)
    Swing
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07

NOT upgrading
    Pretty much everything in the nursery, except maybe a new mattress and video monitor
    Strollers
    Carseats
    Swing, play-mat, toys, etc
    Gates
    Baby carriers, I also have the Lilliebaby brand, you can wear the Complete starting at 7 lbs! I wont say how many I have though.  ;)
    Bottles (unless we upgrade to glass) and feeding accessories

Upgrading
    We want to get a Veer wagon
    Accessories for our stroller (snack tray)
    Clothes - if it is a boy, for a girl we have all of DD's stuff
    Possibly a backpack diaper bag
    Nipples for the bottles
    We need to switch DD to her big girl room. Already have gotten the bed set, bedding, curtains. We need to paint, re-do the closet and get decorations.

That's all I can think of at this point.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua Yeah, we used the complete with our daughter starting from birth but for me its just so much to put on and so much extra stuff for a little baby, you know? Like I don't need all that padding and waist strap etc to carry around someone who is 10 lbs. 

We also will need boy clothes if it' s a boy. I do really like the veer, too.

• @catem07 We are not upgrading any of the big purchases, since we already have two kids (I seriously have two cribs in my garage 😒). Both my kids hated their swing, so we got rid of it and will not be getting another one. I may try a Wildbird ring sling instead of my ergo this time and I'll probably spring for a Dock a Tot for those nights where baby just needs to sleep in bed with us or we're traveling.

@mokay19 I pick up both my kids. DS is 40lbs and DD is 35. I try to limit it to piggy backs, but it's so hard to tell your babies no, especially when they don't know why. I'll probably be better about not lifting/carrying them once they know about the baby and understand why I can't pick them up.
  • @catem07 Yeah I get it. I have the Lillebaby wrap as well, I will use that in the beginning stages this time around. Last time I used the Moby wrap and liked it. The Lille one is so much lighter of a material.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @catem07 I really liked the baby k’tan for that early age. Once DD was big enough we graduated to a used ergo 360 and I love it. I had a lilibaby and just found it too big and bulky. 

So fun to think about upgrades! Our first slept in the Halo bassinet at night but never during the day and that just can’t happen this time...like the idea of the rocking bassinet. I also really like the baby Bjorn bouncer but I suspect we will just use the fisher price one my sister has. If it’s a boy we will need all the clothes...my sister has 3 girls and we have been the lucky beneficiaries of that, but as much as she tried to get gender-neutral stuff, it just ends up being sort of impossible.

We live in the city and do a lot of walking, so I’m thinking a double stroller that’s small could be good. Maybe the Zoe? Have seen those around. Any suggestions?
  • @ruby696 that makes me feel better

As for upgrading, I don’t plan on getting double stuff. Before our loss earlier this year, I had started a registry of things that I didn’t have and want or things that I want better versions of. 

We’ll get a second camera to connect to the same video monitor.
    I want a fancier carrier that’s comfier for longer walks/hikes.
    I have a backpack diaper bag that is amazing but I might want to upgrade for fun 😄

But since DD was born late July, if it’s a girl then we have all the appropriate sizes for that. If it’s boy, then we’ll cross that bridge in May!
  • Upgrading:
    -Bassinet--DD slept in the Rock & Play, which is obviously no longer an option (and I'm sure I'm going to get flamed a little bit for this anyway)
    -Stroller--we live on a highway, which is walkable by adults but not children, so we'll be getting a double stroller
    -Pump--I got the Ameda for free through my insurance last time, and it wasn't great. I want a Medela or Spectra this time
    -Carriers--we have an Ergo 360, which I love, and a Moby, which I don't love because of all the extra fabric and how much it stretches over time. I'm looking into slings for this one
  • @adventuresawait1 we also have a k'tan, and I loved it. The only downside is my neck hurt as baby got bigger, if the straps were not super wide. Re: stroller. I had the City Mini single stroller and loved it, so we upgraded to the inline double, which I hated. It's really heavy and not easy to fold up at all. So I don't recommend that one!
  • @soprano19 oooh you reminded me about a bassinet. DD slept in the rock n play early on also because the angle helped her reflux. 

Any good bassinet options? I plan to breastfeed again so I really want one that snuggles next to the bed well. 
  • @mokay19 The arms reach clear vue looks really good to me (I also breastfeed). Recommended by Wirecutter. https://www.armsreach.com/products/clear-vue-co-sleeper Also you can get it at BBB and use the coupon (I think, Arms Reach isn't on the exclusion list). 

I used the halo before and it was fine but I didn't feel like I needed the bend-down side and since the bassinet isn't centered on the base I felt like there was a little angle. I also didn't like how there was no storage. 

• @catem07 oh I really like the look of that one! Thanks! Our power is down at work so I’ll spend my time researching this 😆
  • @mokay19 I picked up my first when I was pregnant with my second (30+ lbs) and continue to do the same now with both of them, just not at the same time.

@catem07 I need to collect my equipment from moms i’ve lent to in order to see what I need! I know our mamaroo died, so probably a (used) one of those. I also need a new bassinet, a used halo one if I can find it (I hate full price). All my bottles and nipples are done, so probably that, and then clothes because after 2 boys they can use a refresh! I might look into a stand behind attachment for my city select double stroller, but we will see once it gets closer! 
  • @soprano19 we have a halo but definitely used the rock n play for sleep for a long time. 

We need:
    - probably a double stroller at some point
    - second crib
    - a second video monitor to connect to our system
    - a pack n play
    - new pump- I want a spectra
  • @m6agua we have a Keenz and I love it. It was the best decision ever even if it’s not allowed at Disney anymore. I foresee it used a lot of the sidelines of future soccer and baseball games. 

@ruby696 I love my ringslings for the first 4-6 months, especially when I had a bigger kid at home and I needed more hands and to be faster. Wildbird is really nice but my favorites are my Vienna Springs matkas. 

@mokay19 I didn’t limit picking up my 2 year old with my last pregnancy and I still carry him some with this one and he’s four. I thought the advice was still to continue with the activity level you were doing before getting pregnant. As I get bigger I will be more careful, especially when the bump starts to pop out. 

@adventuresawait1 I like the Mountain Buggy double strollers, especially the Duet or the Duet Nano. They are little pricey but so nice and they are so narrow for a double. 

@soprano19 get the Spectra. I love it more than the hospital grade Medela. Seriously. So good. And I did love slinging my second. Vienna Springs is my favorite, especially the matkas. I love how supportive and breathable they are. We live in the desert so summers are hot here. 

@rachelg777 I liked the Spectra a lot. 

As for things we need this time around...
    I always get each kid their own special muslin blanket and a Jellycat
    We have the Keenz wagon but I would really like the Mountains buggy Nano Duet for traveling when I need it to take up less space. 
    I guess a minivan since I can’t fit three across in the Jetta I don’t think... and the Pacifica is pretty affordable and in my budget right now. 
    Clothes if it’s a girl. 
    I really like the Lovevery play mat and I am considering their subscription boxes. 

I’m keeping...
    The mini crib. We use it in our room for baby for the first six months and then can transition to the big crib. By then I think DS2 will be sharing a bed with his brother. 
    I have several slings—Wildbird and Vienna Springs. And Lillebaby carriers. 
    The baby activity table/gym thing.
    Rockaroo
    The high chair.
  • @mdfarmchick I'm really short, so I worry that a ring sling will have too much extra fabric. Any thoughts on that,
  • So this is majorly cropped @ruby696 but I just tuck the tail back through the rings. I don’t think it would be a problem for you at all. 
  • Upgrading:
    clothes - even if we have another boy the seasons will be opposite
    High chair - I think I want to just go with a booster type hair chair instead of a free standing one. 
    Nursery decorations - I just want something different
    rocker/glider - we didn’t buy one last time and just used an old lazy boy but we sold that so time to upgrade 
    new pump - because why not 
    boogie board for our stroller 
    maybe a swing - we borrowed one last time but DS never really liked it. If I can find a used one in good condition then we might get one 
  • @catem07 I LOVE the Hatch Rest. We have one in each room.
    I also have the Hatch Baby Grown (scale and changing pad) and love that too. My little guy had trouble gaining weight at first and I bought that for weighted feeds and it would match pretty much perfectly with the doctors scale. Also has the app so it keeps a chart and also records how much and how often they eat. Bonus, mat wipes clean rather than messing with covers.

I don’t need to upgrade much since this is #4 and I had a baby 6 months ago...
    but I do want a nicer bouncer/small swing. I gave ours away after baby #2 but with 3 kids running around by the time this one comes I’ll need somewhere to set baby that’s safe. I’m intrigued by the skip hop uplift.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 6w6d (5/6/20)

How old is/are your other kid(s)? 3,2 & 6mo

How is/are your kiddo(s) doing? So great! My oldest (DD1) just started preschool and it’s so fun to hear about her day and all the things she learned. She is thriving in that environment. DD2 was really sick at 8 days old (meningitis, seizures, and a rare virus) she’s well now, but we’re still dealing with some speech issues where the seizures caused some damage, but she’s been making so much progress at therapy I’m so proud of her! And my little guy is the happiest boy, so laid back and easy going (fingers crossed for another of him! ;))

Any questions/concerns? Nope.

What is your favorite thing about your kiddo right now? See above :D
  • @ruby696 good to know re the city mini double. We have the single right now and love it. 

@rachelg777 I have a spectra pump and really liked it. 

@mdfarmchick appreciate the rec on the stroller!

I’m traveling for work and woke up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back to sleep - ugh! Thought I was at least going to get some good sleep without DD waking me up in the middle of the night!
  • @mdfarmchick Curious why you like the Vienna Springs Matkas over the Wildbird?
  • @rachelg777 I felt they breathed better and we were less hot in them. We live in the desert and I slung my F18 baby through the summer, hitting 120° and I was much less sweaty with the matka. Also, the matka fabric is different so when I was learning sling I felt like it was more forgiving. I use my Wildbird when I want more support ((and when he started getting heavier)), and when it is cooler outside. 
  • @mdfarmchick thanks! That’s helpful. I really like my Wildbird but I do feel like the fabric of the one I have is somewhat bulky to deal with.
  • @mdfarmchick Is it a total pain cleaning the Vienna Springs Matka? They're gorgeous, but I like to breast feed while baby wearing, so i foresee breastmilk, saliva and spit up getting on the fabric. 
  • @ruby696 I huggie wiped mine a lot and also a friend ordered me a cover for it from Etsy too. He was a big spitter and we never got the ring sling. You also can wash them, cold and delicate cycle. 
  • Is anyone else thinking this be their last planned baby? With this as #3, DH and I are both very comfortable with this being our last, and I have this crazy desire to like “soak it all up”, the symptoms, the announcing to our families, the appointments, the newborn phase. I’m not one to write or keep a journal (although I could try), but I’m trying to think of ways to enjoy this last time as much as possible. Does anyone else feel this way, or considering ways to enjoy this time just a little
    bit more than the previous? 
  • Yes @mamaqdubu! This is our 3rd too, and it's an IVF baby, so we worked really hard to get here. It will definitely be our last and I'm trying to soak up every second, especially with my PGAL brain telling me it might not last that long. I seriously want to savor every moment, even after she/he is born. 
  • @mamaqdubu This is most likely our last. I am open to 3, but DH is adamant for only 2. I haven't thought about it being the last time and soaking everything up, but I probably will. I'm just struggling right now since my symptoms are so few and far between.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019