March 2020 Moms
Options

Gender Testing & Myths!

sls0324sls0324 member
edited August 2019 in March 2020 Moms
Hello I’m Savi,

Since a lot of us will be finding out the genders of our babes in the next couple weeks I figured starting a thread based on all the myths and what your gender actually ended up being would be fun. I currently have two boys 9 & 2 years old and of course am hoping for a little girl. Although, I’m in denial and just KNOW it’ll be another boy! If they say it’s a girl I probably won’t believe them until I see it at the 20 week anatomy scan. I am currently 10 weeks 3 days had the blood test done to find out the gender on Tuesday (8/27) and should know results in the next week. All the Myths say something different so I can’t go based off of any of them. 🤣 Here is a pic of my first ultrasound at 8 weeks 6 days!  

Re: Gender Testing & Myths!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    @Knottie83032764 not a horrible idea for a thread.... but who are you?

We'd appreciate it if you'd intro here and read the board guidelines/organization here. Also, check out how to change your username here

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    I think I’ve completed them all.☺️
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sls0324 awesome! Thank you so much  :)

*Formerly LuND*
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    I really do like this for a thread, though, lol.
  • Options
    I don’t really know most of the myths but I will say I was much sicker with DD so I’m guessing this is a boy! I didn’t vomit once this pregnancy, and I was doing that 1-2 times a week for weeks 6-11 with my daughter.
  • Options
    I do my best to stick to science, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least look at some of the sex-based myths. Expecting Better goes through a good amount of the myths and debunks them based on data and numbers, but, in real life they sometimes SEEM to have merit. 

My first pregnancy I had minimal nausea, great skin, amazing hair that didn't shed, and minimal symptoms overall. And I had a boy.

This pregnancy I've had more nausea (nothing crazy, but more nonetheless), my skin is awful, my hair is falling out, and I'm moody as hell. We'll see in a couple weeks if I'm having a girl, or if all the symptoms mean nothing!

*Formerly LuND*
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    My nausea with DS was WAY worse than with DD. However, I've read that SCIENCE actually backs the belief that worse nausea has a SLIGHT correlation with girl pregnancies. Hilarious that the one myth that has SOME backing was the opposite for me. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    Chinese Predictor: Girl
    Ramzi MethodGirl
    Mayan System: Girl
    Glowing?: Boy
    Heartrate: Girl
    Sickness: Girl
    Headaches?: Boy
    Cravings: Boy
    Carrying: Boy
    BFP: 7/8/19
    EDD: 3/19/20

• Options
    I have a 3yo DD who had a higher HR at ultrasounds and i had way worse nausea and vomiting, basically until the 3rd tri. 

This time HR is in the 140s and I’ve had nausea but no vomiting so that tells me boy. We shall see!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited August 2019
    I have no idea what I am having and I don't really even know many of the myths, but I'm curious, lol.  

@stassischroeder My pregnancy sounds like yours, minus the nausea.  I really haven't been too sick at all, but I have had intermittent light nausea and definite food cravings/aversions throughout the entire thing so far.  My skin has never been worse, my hair is also falling out (shedding like crazy, omg), and I am the moodiest creature to ever have walked the earth (so it feels).  I have no idea if these point to boy or girl, but we'll see!  The heart rate was 171 when I was 9w+5d, but the Doppler I use has it around 164 now.  Not sure if those are considered fast or not.

Oh and my ability to smell all the things is something I'm tired of.  I can't even walk through the parking garage at work without gagging.  It smells like something is covered in mildew or mold and it is straight awful.
  • Options
    I find out November 1st what I’m having! First pregnancy for me!! I guess I’m afraid it’ll be a girl. But my gut says girl! Everyone I talk to has said I’m going to have a girl. Plus they run in my family? But my ultrasound have shown high HR last one was 170s. Feel like I’m carrying low because I pee nonstop. The Chinese predicted a girl. I’ve been incredibly nauseated! But who knows we’ll see!
  • Options
    @bygodsgrace20 why are you afraid it will be a girl?
  • Options
    So funny, my mom said with all 3 of her pregnancies (two girls and my brother) she was nauseous but puked maybe like once with each of us. I was feeling mildly nauseous until mid 8 weeks and then nausea was horrendous, I had to take a sick day today because I just couldn’t shake it last night (10w1d today). I have puked only once and dry heaved a bunch of times in the morning. I have no clue what this little one is, but I’m leaning toward it being a boy for some strange reason even though everyone around us wants us to have a girl (including us, haha). Too many family members have had boys so people are just hoping to shake things up and for some reason I see myself as a girl mom (wanting to raise some badass empowered babes!), but I know honestly don’t care as long as this lil one is healthy. 

The only thing I have heard that increases probability is the gender of siblings on the male partners’ side. So for example, because DH has two older sisters, we are more likely to have a girl but boy is still a high probability. 

https://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/pregnancy/0829/a-way-to-tell-if-youre-having-a-boy-or-a-girl-you-might-not-have-considered

• Options
    sls0324sls0324 member
    edited August 2019
    @bygodsgrace20 I wish I thought mine would be a girl!🤣 I need some girl dust sprinkled my way!
  • Options
    Both Chinese gender charts (on the bump) said boys. I've felt a bit worse this time around than my first pregnancy, but both are boys! 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    I guess my pregnancies were opposites for old wives tales.. I wasn't as sick with DD as I was with DS.  This time around I was pretty sick, sicker than I was with DS even.  So.. who knows.  Maybe for me, I just feel morning sickness more as I age or as I have more pregnancies?   Though my mom, who had 3 girls and 1 boy, said the pregnancy with my brother was the one where she got the sickest. 

I haven't had any skin/hair issues different than my norm, I do remember with my DD, I did break out more (but I was also 25 then, and much more prone to breakouts then than I am now at 38.)

With DD, I had a 'feeling' she was a girl in the 2nd tri, with DS, I had a 'feeling' he was a boy, but the 'feeling' came much later in the pregnancy (like late 3rd tri.. we were team green.)  No 'feelings' yet on this one.  I don't have the faintest guess!
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin my nausea has been getting worse too, but mostly in the afternoons/evenings. I'm 12w tomorrow ... I'm annoyed that I'm not following the typical feeling-better-by-2nd-tri trend.

*Formerly LuND*
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    @stassischroeder I just want to be able to healthy food again and not just goldfish crackers and other carbs 😂 and not have the room spin like I’m sea sick. Hoping I’ll have some relief in two weeks
  • Options
    Coming here to update: baby #2 is also a boy!! It felt weirdly good to tell all the people who were like "oh you're so having a girl" to suck it. I feel like I cared (or thought I cared) about the sex of my baby a lot more before DS was born. Hearing a bunch of people say baby #2 was going to be a girl made me feel so defensive about my sweet firstborn baby boy, as if they were saying something was wrong with having boys (I know thats just me being sensitive). I'm honestly really excited to have another boy, and I was leaning boy before we got the results. 
  • Options
    @hellobabys CONGRATULATIONS on the boy!!!! That is awesome, I love how others saying it’s a girl is made you want a boy more 😂
  • Options
    projectaliceprojectalice member
    edited September 2019
    Literally everyone is convinced I'm having a girl. I suspect they are right, because I'm so much more miserable than with my son. I would love to have another boy though, boys are really sweet! I love having a boy and not sure what to do with a girl. 😂

*Edit for spelling
  • Options
    @hellobabys Yay for another little boy!!!  So cute!  <3
  • Options
    silverhopesilverhope member
    edited September 2019
    So I've read some articles that PAPP-A and free beta HCG are high for females (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/24202951_The_impact_of_fetal_gender_on_first_trimester_nuchal_translucency_and_maternal_serum_free_b-hCG_and_PAPP-A_MoM_in_normal_and_trisomy_21_pregnancies) and AFP is high for males (https://fetalmedicine.org/abstracts/2016/var/pdf/abstracts/01656.pdf).

And then some articles say no significant difference in these levels to determine sex. 

Anyone know the sex of their baby and their levels?

Last pregnancy I had a boy:
    HCG: 0.98 MoM (119.7 ng/ml)
    PAPP-A: 1.34 MoM (1.07 mlU/ml)
    AFP: 0.55 MoM (7.48 IU/ml) 

This time:
    HCG: 0.87 MoM (111.36 ng/ml)
    PAPP-A: 0.78 MoM (0.66 mIU/ml)
    AFP: 0.7 MoM (11.69 IU/ml)

edited: wrong word used
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    so last time my skin was HORRIFIC and it was a girl. the chinese gender predictor was girl too. 

this time, skin isn't as bad, but not great. I'm also more nauseous. so maybe girl? the chinese gender predictor also says girl this time. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    @varimama yes! We are going to go to one of those elective ultrasound places to find out too since we couldn’t do the NIPT to tell us! I can’t wait to find out!! 
  • Options
    I don’t believe the old wives tales. Almost all symptom based predictions said I was having a boy and I had a girl. I was actually accused of lying about my baby’s sex by a family friend because my skin was so good and you can’t have good skin and have a girl (the best it’s been since I was 11 in fact). 

This pregnancy has been slightly different: my skin is crappy (cystic acne is great), more nauseous but way less puking, and I’m not tired enough to nap unlike when I was pregnant with my daughter. Everything else is the same pretty much. 
  • Options
    Sorry! Here's the old wive's tales I used...

Chinese Predictor
    https://www.thebump.com/chinese-gender-chart
    Ramzi Methodhttps://www.thegenderexperts.com/ramzi-theory/
    Mayan System: Take the age of the mother at the time of conception and the number representing the conception month. If both numbers are even, OR if both numbers are odd, the Mayans predict a baby GIRL. If one number is odd and the other number is even, they predict a baby BOY.
    Skin/Glowing Complexion: Breakouts/dull skin = Girl, If you're 'glowing'/clear skin = Boy
    Heartrate: Heartrate above 140bpm = Girl, Heartrate below 140 bpm = boy
    Morning Sickness: MS = Girl, None = Boy
    Headaches?: No headaches = Girl, Headaches = Boy
    Cravings: Sweet = Girl, Salty/Proteins = Boy
    Carrying: High = Girl, Low = Boy
    BFP: 7/8/19
    EDD: 3/19/20

• Options
    @lusineg Thank you for posting those!

I did the Sneak Peek test and it said I was having a boy, but I'm not sure I trust it.  According to these:

Chinese Predictor: Boy
    Ramzi Method: I still don't know  :D
    Mayan System: Boy
    Skin/Glowing Complexion: Girl
    Heartrate: Girl
    Morning Sickness: Boy
    Headaches?: Boy
    Cravings: Boy (but also partially Girl, lol)
  • Options
    @Malidocious well most of your predictors point to boy so maybe it was accurate!! I’m getting an elective ultrasound done in a couple weeks and I’ll prob still be skeptical too lol 

Chinese Predictor: The Bump post says Boy but Chinese predictors on other sites all say Girl so not sure if Bump app is accurate
    Ramzi Method: no idea lol 
    Mayan System: Boy
    Skin/Glowing Complexion: Girl 
    Heartrate: Girl (but really haven’t seen many people on here have less than 140 lol)
    Morning Sickness: Girl but like my MS hasn’t been THAT bad so ??? Lol 
    Headaches?: Girl 
    Cravings: Girl, salty too tho but def no protein 
    Carrying: Too soon to tell. I’m not even showing yet. 

So yeah, jury’s out on this business lol 
  • Options
    Chinese Predictor: girl
    Ramzi Method: no clue, I know they looked at placenta but I didn’t ask about side
    Mayan System: girl
    Skin/Glowing Complexion: girl (honestly I was using non pregnancy safe acne stuff before pregnancy so it could be due to stopping that)
    Heartrate: girl 
    Morning Sickness: girl
    Headaches?: girl
    Cravings: Boy

looks most like a girl but these were exactly the same as my DS pregnancy. Could just be how my body handles pregnancy...
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited September 2019
    @mrsc918 Ah, the Chinese Gender Predictors on other sites all say that I'm having a girl... so I guess the Bump app is wrong!  Weird!  Lol  Good luck at your elective ultrasound!  We are getting one of those done on the 25th and I am so excited!  I'm more inclined to believe the ultrasound (I'll be almost 16 weeks then) than the Sneak Peek... but either way, I'll be happy regardless of the gender. :) 
  • Options
    So the lady who talked to me about my ultrasound results for first tri screen said she was “98% certain it’s a girl.” Her reasoning: all babies have a small “protuberance” in the genital area at this stage, but girls point straight out while boys point straight up.

has anyone heard this? She seemed very confident but I’m not familiar with this.
  • Options
    @kantobean I think this is called nub theory or something?  I have heard of it before - that the angle can be a predictor.  
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    @kailanae fascinating! I’m kind of kicking myself bc I would never try to use one of these silly theories myself, but because this professional in the hospital told me she’s 98% sure, I just took her word. The internet seems more skeptical of this theory. I don’t know what to think now.