February 2020 Moms

Maternity Clothes!

edited August 2019 in February 2020 Moms
Good evening ladies! I am currently 13 weeks, 2 days pregnant with my double rainbow baby (YAY!!). This time around, I'm finding that I more than likely am not going to fit into my regular clothes much longer, while I made it my whole pregnancy the first time in them! What are your guys'  maternity  favorites and go to's that won't break the bank? I'm about 5'6" and wear a 10-12 in jeans normally, and xl shirts. I am also very self conscious about my hip area (helllloooo muffin top!) and upper arms. 

Thanks!!

Re: Maternity Clothes!

• I like Target’s maternity clothes. For my last pregnancy I wore a lot of maternity tank tops with open front sweaters that I already owned which helped save on costs. I never bought maternity work pants because I could get away with maternity leggings, maternity jeans, and dresses. 
  • Leggings! All the leggings. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a belly band and it is allowing me to wear my regular pants for a bit longer. I might check that out.

Also Old Navy has great maternity stuff but you can only buy it online. 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I buy a lot from Pink Blush. I like their jeans and their basics for everyday. They also have a bajillion dresses. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • I've been looking on Etsy and there's loads of great inexpensive finds! Best thing, you're supporting a local seller and not a huge company that's potentially producing under sweatshop conditions. The fashion industry is the second largest polluter besides the oil industry so it's nice to find vintage pieces and recycle, or items made from natural fabrics that will break down over time and not contribute to the plastic in landfill and microplastics in the water systems. 
  • Target and Old Navy! Super affordable (watch for ON sales,) classic/basic items that are easy to mix and match without buying a ton of things. ON has pants that have both the full panel and just side panel which I love, I basically wear their black maternity pixie pants to work every day later in pregnancy.
  • Oh also I know you asked about affordable - but there are some really cute finds at rosiepope.com
    Married Jan 2008 

• Idk if this is our general maternity clothes thread now, but I always have to plug Jessica Simpson's maternity line at Motherhood Maternity! Best fitting jeans and work pants out there!
  • Idk if this is our general maternity clothes thread now, but I always have to plug Jessica Simpson's maternity line at Motherhood Maternity! Best fitting jeans and work pants out there!
    And undies 
  • Walmart has these knee length (on me but I’m short) sleeveless dresses that aren’t actually maternity but they work great. My sis is 6 mo pregnant and they still look great on her too. They’re in the regular women’s section and are a steal at $10! I got 4 different colors because they’re so comfy and actually kinda cute. Perfect for summer too!
    I get 90% of my maternity clothes from thrift stores though because I’m not about to pay $30+ for a shirt/dress I don’t even really like anyway. If you watch you can get some really nice used stuff for cheap on FB marketplace too. 
  • Old Navy, Amazon. 
  • I just stared looking at ThredUP to find resale maternity wear and got some great stuff from there and other resale from Poshmark. I’m trying to look professional and put together at my “business professional” dress code day job, and in general want to not look too sloppy on my off days... but I’m also NOT interested in a whole new wardrobe at full price that I can only wear briefly. Trying to work the balance between budget and professional look. It’s an interesting challenge. Especially when I’m also weighing any purchase against “well that X amount less for baby stuff...”
  • I’m a FTM and feeling clueless about maternity clothes! I’m 13 wks today and my normal work pants are getting uncomfortable but I’m not showing a bump yet so I feel like full on maternity clothes will be too big...? (But no idea if that’s true). My office is business casual so I can’t do leggings unfortunately.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this interim phase? I do have a belly band but I’m clueless on that too - do you unbutton/unzip your pants and put the band on top? And then just wear longer tops?? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for all the advice!
  • @nhh11, the belly band never really worked for me so hopefully someone else can give you tips. Over the belly maternity pants will most likely be too big. They do make some with elastic on the side panels that are sometimes better for earlier in pregnancy. There is also a hair tie trick when you loop an elastic around the button and through the button hole if you need just a little more room. Can you wear dresses or skirts?
  • @nhh11 with the belly band I zip it as much as it goes and is comfortable and then put the belly band on top. The elastic part goes on the bottom. I wear longer tops or sometimes if the cut of the pants is right a normal top will work especially if the belly band and the pants are the same color.

I might pull out my maternity clothes this weekend to see what I have from last time. But we have guests this weekend so it might have to wait for next.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @nhh11 I feel your pain. My work is business casual too, and it’s always tricky for me during this “in-between” phase. I do the belly band trick sometimes (you unbutton your pants and use the band to hold them up), but honestly, I really hate when things are pressing on my belly/blump. I find wearing maternity camis under my shirt work sometimes helps, and I can use that to hold up my non maternity work pants while keeping them unbuttoned. I still haven’t told my boss, so I’m wearing flowy tops and tunics for now. 
  • Thanks @jvk2012 and @leksiL ! guess I need to bite the bullet and try the belly band. And I’ll look for those side panel pants. Right now I’m just wearing any pants in my closet that we’re previously too big:) funny how you always save your “skinny” pants thinking you’ll fit in them again but never seem to hang onto the larger sizes. And yes I can definitely wear skirts and dresses. Guess it’s time to go shopping to buy some transitional items!
  • @nhh11 I had bought some full belly panel pants but realized they would be too big and too also too hot. They will be perfect for this fall/winter. Right now I am wearing side panels jeans at work (Target). They are still a little too loose so I wear my regular belt with them. Works great. The only negative is that there are no side pockets.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• I still haven't figured out the pants situation here but fortunately I can basically just wear scrubs, so I ordered a maternity set (just a size bigger top and some maternity bottoms with a band) for now. All of the maternity tops I got look huge so far and I feel really frumpy so haven't been wearing them much at all and sticking to Tshirts and athletic shorts when not at work :disappointed: I'm no fashionista by any means but I do like to look a little more put together but I also don't want to buy a huge, pricey pregnant lady wardrobe.
  • @Swiftlet you could always try your luck at your local consignment shops. Most children’s/baby consignment shops also have maternity clothes.
  • @Swiftlet Have you put the word out to friends and family? Half of my maternity clothes are hand-me-downs from my BFF who got half of hers as hand-me-downs from other friends and family. I also have a ton of stuff from DH's older cousin who I've never met, but his aunt likes us. I also found a couple pieces at the thrift shop. I'm not planning to buy anything new at all this time.

• My friend just told me she rented maternity clothes from Le Tote. Anyone else try this?
  • Facebook marketplace!!! People are always selling their used clothes. I got a HUGE bin shirts, tanks, dresses, pants, shorts for $
    15!!
  • Sometimes local kids consignment stores also have a maternity section. There are 2 good ones in my town, so might be something to look into. Otherwise, I mostly do Old Navy!
  • @jvk2012 I’ve done le tote before (but not for maternity). I enjoyed it a lot at first but noticed after a while that the quality of the clothes started to lag. So, I cancelled. I’m also curious about the maternity, especially since it’s a temporary period. 
  • Facebook and consignment stores are a good start. I also love H&M options and they are not super expensive. I have also tried to find clothing that is looser (or go up a size for shirts) at consignment shops. I would rather buy cheap and previously worn than new and possibly not wearing again 
  • edited August 2019
    Old Navy was having an amazing denim sale this week that applied to maternity styles as well and I lucked out big time... I would just keep an eye on their site for cheaper bottoms and dresses for work!

ALSO: ThredUp has some great stuff!!
  • I just tried on a pair of my side panel jeans from last time and they were still too big in the waist but too small in the thighs. Guess I now know where the entirety of my 5lb weight gain has gone to. And it has inspired me to only wear maxi dresses and leggings for the rest of my pregnancy 😂 

PSA Motherhood legging aren't worth it. They feel really nice, but mine got a random hole in them after only wearing them a few times. I’d just get a bigger size in some cheapie leggings.
  • I am wearing full panel jeans from MM today and they are so comfy. The panel part actually fits OK but the legs are a little loose, which is fine. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL That's the reason Jessica Simpson's brand is the BEST! I love full-panel, but they always want to make the hips/legs bigger and hers aren't like that. They're super form-fitted with regular pockets and everything, and just give you the added panel. This is why I hate Target bottoms- they kill me with the butt sag! Target tops 10/10 though.
  • My workout clothes are starting to feel too tight. This doesn't help with my 0 motivation with the gym lately. Where did you buy maternity workout clothes? Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell them?
    TTC#1
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2

• ^^^ @rikiteacup I need help in this arena too! I have 1 pair of expensive AF full-panel workout pants from Pea in the Pod that were gifted to me, and I am not about to spend that much on another pair (although they are fabulous)... Anyone know of good spots for full-panel workout pants at low prices? I've had no luck trying to thrift for maternity athletic wear.
  • @rikiteacup and @craftywitch, I got maternity yoga pants from Old Navy last time. I can’t remember if they have other athletic wear though. 
  • Does Target have maternity work out gear?  I haven't checked but I figured they would be more affordable than some other places.

I have a wedding in the end of September and I don't know if I will need a maternity dress or a regular dress.  I'm plus sized so I kinda wanted to do a maternity dress so I looked pregnant and not like I ate too much.  Also MH should be promoted to fire lieutenant soon so I'll need a dress for his awards ceremony.  Any suggestions for a plus sized maternity dress?
    Me:37 MH:37
    TTGP since 07/2017
    **TW** in spoiler
    DX: PCOS, anovulatory, AMA
    Femara X3: no response
    Clomid X3: BFN (cyst and thin lining)
    IUI (Dec '18) MMC
    IVF (April '19) 9 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 2 normal PGT-A
    FET 06/12/19 - BFP! EDD 02/27/20

• alseltzeralseltzer member
    edited August 2019
    I think they had a few. I just bought some jeans/tops/sweaters and a niiiice stretchy dress for Thanksgiving last week. If I do recall correctly, Target had a few workout style legging/pants.  They also had just matenity leggings as well, but not sure how they'd hold up/breathe for workouts.

Edit: because I forgot to add this! 😆

@celticknotfire not sure who would have maternity dresses in store, but Target only had a couple and they were very casual style. So I'd say you can probably rule them out for that.  If you want to look online, the PinkBlush website has a lot of options! I have a wedding in October, and I think I'm going to order from there as well. So many cute dresses and they always seem to have new ones. Definitely more wedding wear options than any place I've seen.
  • In my experience both Target and Kohl’s are serious slacking in the maternity dept!

i have a ton of Maternity leggings from old navy. I’m just gonna use maternity t shirts for workout gear 
    Married Jan 2008 

• I got cropped target maternity leggings this week and I have barely taken them off. SO COMFY. Highly recommend them. The brand is Isabelle or something like that? 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Anyone have any ideas for side panel, black work pants? Came up empty at Target, got a pair from Old Navy that may be passable. Seems like all the maternity pants are seriously tapered ankles or boot leg, which aren’t really good looks for me. Hoping to find just a straight leg. Motherhood Maternity seems to only have full panel. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • @optimism3 I found some nice black work pants at Motherhood Maternity. They were under $30 for sure but they are all full panel. Your best option would be to use a Bella band. Target sells some in store.

@ibabyloveb87 Ingrid & Isabel for Target. There is the regular Ingrid & Isabel brand but prices are very different. This is the only brand they carry. I am sad the selection is so small in stores. They have a little more online. 

@celticknotfire I love Target's C9 brand. They have a few maternity pieces but it is online only. They only have 1 option for workout Ts. ONE. Pretty ridiculous. They have more options for leggings. Old Navy has a decent selection, but it's also online only.
    TTC#1

TTC #2