1st Trimester

Taking prenatal vitamins

Hi, I am 5 weeks today and I have been eating very well along with taking 1mg of folic acid everyday. How important would you think it would be to take a prenatal vitamin ? Has anyone gone through the 1st trimester without taking a prenatal vitamin and only started to take one when they were about to enter their 2nd trimester ? My doctor told me 1st trimester would be fine without taking a vitamin and 2nd trimester is where more vitamins are needed for the baby.. I would like to know others experiences. Thank you!

Re: Taking prenatal vitamins

• ^WSS
    After my first visit with my doctor at 6 weeks I was given a prescription for prenatals (I could get them for free through my insurance) and told to start right away. I went with the nature made because I tolerated them well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor told me the prenatal vitamin are most important in the 1st as baby is 1st developing. Sorry, but I do not agree with your doc.
  • miap11miap11 member
    My doctor told me the prenatal vitamin are most important in the 1st as baby is 1st developing. Sorry, but I do not agree with your doc.
    Thank you for your reply. I am a very healthy eater to begin with.. so my doctor feels I am getting in all the vitamins I need. I can explain my daily meal plan.. for breakfast I will have a kale, spinach, strawberry, banana, mango, pineapple, chia seeds, flax seeds shake with a side of yogurt and granola and avocado toast. For lunch I will always have a protein (chicken or salmon or lean mince meat patty or beans) with a side or 3 veggies and a salad. And for supper somewhat along the lines of that as well and I also eat in between my meals. So he feels I am getting more than enough vitamins. But that’s why I am asking on this forum.. I want to know how others went about because with my first pregnancy I was eating more carbs and definitely needed a vitamin to help. 
  • bows22bows22 member
    @miap11 why are you hesitant to take a prenatal vitamin?
  • miap11miap11 member
    bows22 said:
    Sorry, but no where did I say I was hesitant. I just wanted to know what others have done. On the other hand, I was hesitant to not take a prenatal vitamin once my doctor told me it wasn’t necessary. So from the advice other women have just gave me, I have just started to take a prenatal vitamin..
  • Did your doctor just say it was okay if you didn't take it or was he saying it's not necessary at all to take it in the 1st Tri?

Certainly you can go without taken a prenatal and still have a healthy baby (thanks I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant show), but I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks. Then again, your doctor knows your habits better than we do. I mean, I've heard of fitness gurus doing intense exercise, even well into their 3rd trimester, but that's an exception.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • I find that strange. I was told to take them when we were beginning to ttc. My doctor has asked me if I’m taking my prenatals at every appt. 
  • miap11miap11 member
    Did your doctor just say it was okay if you didn't take it or was he saying it's not necessary at all to take it in the 1st Tri?

Certainly you can go without taken a prenatal and still have a healthy baby (thanks I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant show), but I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks. Then again, your doctor knows your habits better than we do. I mean, I've heard of fitness gurus doing intense exercise, even well into their 3rd trimester, but that's an exception.
    My doctor advised me it wasn’t necessary to take prenatal vitamins the first trimester and that women start to take vitamins as of the 2nd trimester. He told me folic acid prevents neural tube defects and it’s necessary to take between 1mg and 5mg during the 1st trimester. He told me as of 12 weeks, taking folic acid isn’t necessary since the baby's neural tube should have closed by then
  • @miap11 hmm, interesting! The folic acid is definitely the most important part in the beginning though and it's good that you're taking it 🙂 I wonder if your doctor is under the impression that prenatal don't include folic acid (most do I believe) hence why he says it's not necessary?
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • bows22bows22 member
    miap11 said:
    bows22 said:
    Sorry, but no where did I say I was hesitant. I just wanted to know what others have done. On the other hand, I was hesitant to not take a prenatal vitamin once my doctor told me it wasn’t necessary. So from the advice other women have just gave me, I have just started to take a prenatal vitamin..
    It just seemed to me like you didn’t want to take one and I didn’t want to offer my opinion without knowing the reason. NBD. 
  • miap11miap11 member
    @miap11 hmm, interesting! The folic acid is definitely the most important part in the beginning though and it's good that you're taking it 🙂 I wonder if your doctor is under the impression that prenatal don't include folic acid (most do I believe) hence why he says it's not necessary?

I bought materna brand of prenatal vitamins and it has 400mg folic acid already included in it so it won’t hurt that it has that in it since it’s a low dosage of folic acid. My doctor prescribed me the 1mg of folic acid so I’ve been taking that.. so it’ll be like as of now I’ll be taking 1400mg of folic acid. With my previous pregnancy I took 5mg folic acid just to be on the safe side. Doctors recommend if you’re over 35 years of age to take a higher dosage of folic acid. I was 26 with my first pregnancy and still took 5mg. Now I’m taking a lower dosage since all went well and I didn’t really need the high dosage as per my doctor. Everyone’s different :) 
  • miap11miap11 member
    My diet was phenomenal before I got pregnant and I still would not trust diet alone to give a growing baby nutrients. I’m very surprised your doctor would make a call like that. Were you given blood tests to see what nutrients you’re absorbing? A lot of healthy women will end up being deficient in certain nutrients because pregnancy will suck it all up. It’s too much of a risk in my opinion. That’s what supplementation is for. I was also warned by my doctor to not skip my prenatal so I’m quite confused by why your doctor said that you would be “ok”.

eta: words. 
    Yes I was given blood tests recently. As I do my blood tests once a year as well and I never missed any nutrients. My doctor didn’t say not to take any prenatal vitamins at all through out my whole pregnancy.... He meant it’s not necessary to take them for the first trimester taken I eat healthy enough and I show no sign of vitamin deficiency. Everyone’s different so I take it as it’s a different situation for everyone. But I was feeling uneasy about not taking a prenatal that’s why I came on this forum to ask. Which lead me to start taking the prenatal vitamins today. Better to be safe. 
  • miap11 said:
    Did your doctor just say it was okay if you didn't take it or was he saying it's not necessary at all to take it in the 1st Tri?

My doctor advised me it wasn’t necessary to take prenatal vitamins the first trimester and that women start to take vitamins as of the 2nd trimester. He told me folic acid prevents neural tube defects and it’s necessary to take between 1mg and 5mg during the 1st trimester. He told me as of 12 weeks, taking folic acid isn’t necessary since the baby's neural tube should have closed by then
    I don't doubt the bolded is true, because according to the CDC, 45% of pregnancies are unplanned. If you're not planning/wanting to have a baby, why would you take a prenatal? But just because it's true doesn't mean it's preferable or ideal.  

Also, 1 mg of folic acid? Do you mean 1 gram? Because 1 milligram is nothing. I don't understand how you can even get a supplement that's just 1 mg. Most prenatal vitamins have at least 400 mg. 

• miap11miap11 member
    miap11 said:

I don't doubt the bolded is true, because according to the CDC, 45% of pregnancies are unplanned. If you're not planning/wanting to have a baby, why would you take a prenatal? But just because it's true doesn't mean it's preferable or ideal.  

Also, 1 mg of folic acid? Do you mean 1 gram? Because 1 milligram is nothing. I don't understand how you can even get a supplement that's just 1 mg. Most prenatal vitamins have at least 400 mg. 

That was a typo on my end. But if you scroll back and re read what I wrote as a reply back, you would notice I wrote “My doctor prescribed me the 1mg of folic acid so I’ve been taking that.. so it’ll be like as of now I’ll be taking 1400mg of folic acid. ” 
  • miap11miap11 member
    I agree with PPs that it’s important to take a prenatal during the first trimester, as well as in the rest of the pregnancy. 

Some clarification about dosage:
    The recommended dose of folic acid during pregnancy is 400-600 mcg (micrograms). 1 mg (milligram) = 1000 mcg. It’s also not recommended to have more than 1000 mcg (or 1mg) of man-made folic acid per day. 
    Unless it is prescribed by a medical doctor then it is perfectly fine to be taking more than 1mg of folic acid... Some women will be advised to take a higher dose like about 5 mg of folic acid each day until they're 12 weeks pregnant if they have a higher chance of having a pregnancy affected by neural tube defects. Who ever doesn’t have a higher chance or having a pregnancy affected by neural tube defects is suggested to take about 1mg a day.

• miap11miap11 member
    @miap11 As long as you're not overdosing on fat-soluble vitamins/minerals, there's literally no disadvantage to taking prenatal vitamins. 

But congrats on your perfect diet. <---- it seems like you really want someone to say this.

eta second sentence and tag
    Nowhere did I say that I have a perfect diet. I said I eat well and healthy .. I don’t need someone to acknowledge that. I was stating why my doctor told me it wasn’t necessary to take a prenatal vitamin right away since I was asked the question. Lol you never stop do you😂 so will you follow my every question on here and just keep giving me witty and classless answers .. I come here to hear people’s experiences. You keep laughing and taking things as jokes ? I’m confused on what kind of a person you are
  • miap11miap11 member
    OP, It doesn't seem like you really want to offer support for anyone on this board and/or take any sort of constructive criticism. You just want affirmation from others that you're doing everything perfect and when you don't like the answer you feel the need to argue. All of your posts have been questions you could have talked to a medical professional about and/or googled to find a sufficient answer. A part of me is starting to wonder if the conversation with your doctor included talking about how WoNdErFuL your diet being and not listening to what your doctor was actually saying. But honestly...

I can indeed just google to find a sufficient answer. That’s what I’ll be doing as of now. Won’t be posting on this board anymore. Removing my app now. Thank you ciao!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"