December 2019 Moms

Baby Gear Lists!

Re: Baby Gear Lists!

• @ktmaesimbahahahahaha too funny. and i just googled prices, it's actually $50 less than the 4moms one. i was surprised!
  • Loading the player...
  • So many of us in Chicago!

I'm getting a convertible car seat, so I'm wondering about strollers.  Do they have ones that grow with baby that's Not where you attach a car seat?
  • @ktmaesim I want one of these covers for me!  :D
  • @ashorkey  right?! I also wanna ride in the mamaroo
  • @ktmaesim I feel like I would get motion sick in the mamaroo. My daughter also hated it! 
  • @bookworm492 you can get a stroller with a bassinet or a seat that lays flat so it’s safe for newborns
  • @bookworm492 start by looking at the Graco Modes stroller. That’ll give you an idea of bassinet types of strollers and where to look from there. Pretty much any travel system combo is able to be purchased as the car seat or stroller only.
  • I just learned that I can buy an owlet monitor with my FSA account. I work in a children's hospital, up close and personal with tragedies regularly. I know that these monitors aren't for everyone; I never used any kind of monitors with my two older children, but at this point I just want to have some peace of mind, so I think we're going to get one. I asked my nurse friends - mostly NICU and ER nurses responded - and they were split 50/50 on using them. The consensus was that if worrying about baby keeps you awake, then this is worth it. I think its worth it for me. 

SO - are you planning on getting one? Should I get the one with the video? Video monitors kind of bother me because of all those reports of hacking from a few years ago. I'm leaning toward skippning the camera/video. 

I'd love to hear what you all think?

PS - would also love to hear about motion detectors like the Snuza, too! Is a pulse ox overkill?
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• Oh - one more product question! 

Anyone planning to use the Elvie pump? It's pretty new, but maybe someone here has used it?
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• Definitely no on the owlet, that feels like overkill to us but whatever works for each family. 
  • k_mama91k_mama91 member
    edited July 2019
    @janiep81 I didn’t know that, great news! We’re getting one. DS was just fine without but I didnt get good sleep from worrying about him constantly. A good friend has one and swears by it. Everyone is different but for me I don’t think you can put a price on safety or peace of mind. 

ETA- Were going with the basic Owlet. Once baby is in his room we’ll go with a tradition sound monitor. I don’t see a need for a video monitor with the size of our home and lifestyle.
  • @janiep81 I didn't have one with our first and don't plan on getting one this time around. My bosses mom worked for owlet in their customer service department and I've heard too many third hand horror stories of them burning the babies (not sure how it hasn't been recalled) or not working properly
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    @janiep81 a friend of mine used an owlet with her son two years ago and said we can borrow hers. I wouldn’t spend the money on it.  My sister used an angelcare monitor and it helped her relax at night.  We did not have a video monitor with our first who is now 6 and I want one this time because I think it could have prevented us from going in and picking her up when she wasn’t truly awake, and since then she has always had sleeping issues.  I’m hoping with a video monitor I won’t feel like I need to go in the room every time the baby stirs because I will be able to see if he or she is just making noises but asleep.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad I asked.
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited July 2019
    @janiep81 i've had two friends use them w/good feedback. i am not sure if we will register for one, but am planning on registering for the nanit monitor which gives data re sleeping habits and is supposed to be helpful.
  • @janiep81 we have a video monitor. I insist on a closed system. So not one that uses your phone but that has its own viewer. They are harder to hack than those that connect over WiFi to a variety of devices. Not impossible but harder. 

I’ve worked in sex offender treatment for a long time. I have some extra paranoia and did lots of research before finding something I was comfortable with. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• Stac928 said:
    @janiep81 we have a video monitor. I insist on a closed system. So not one that uses your phone but that has its own viewer. They are harder to hack than those that connect over WiFi to a variety of devices. Not impossible but harder. 

I’ve worked in sex offender treatment for a long time. I have some extra paranoia and did lots of research before finding something I was comfortable with. 
    Same re: closed system video
    monitor and not one that uses WiFi.

I love having a video monitor. I’m hoping mine lasts through baby #3 and I don’t have to buy a new one since it’s 7+ years old. 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• KTZ17KTZ17 member
    @McKBaby and @Stac928 which video monitors do you have?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • McKBabyMcKBaby member
    edited July 2019
    @KTZ17 I have a Motorola one. Similar to the link below, but an older version. It’s been going strong for 7+ years. The battery doesn’t hold a charge anymore, but we only use it at night now since my kids are older.  You can buy replacement batteries so I may try that. 

https://express.google.com/product/Motorola-MBP33XL-Video-Baby-Monitor-3-5-LCD-White/0_519903342841534098_0

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Stac928Stac928 member
    edited July 2019
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• I have a video monitor now that we use for DS, he is wild in his room when it’s bed time so we need to keep the video set up in his room so we’re debating getting a second camera so our monitor flips between the two cameras or just having a second camera and monitor. 
  • TODAY ONLY score up to 55% Off LÍLLÉbaby Baby Carriers!

• anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited August 2019
    so i visited my bestie over the weekend who has an 8mos old to pick up baby loot... and she has this portable play mat bag and its freaking GENIUS - immediately put on my registry. she keeps the bulk of her toys in/on it and then you just velcro it together into a tote.

https://www.amazon.com/Sprouts-Play-Mat-Bag-Portable/dp/B01MSZ54VH/ref=asc_df_B01MSZ54VH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198077878230&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11151255889720683112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007834&hvtargid=pla-381679153577&psc=1

@edit to tag @ktmaesim and @rjgmcmanus
    #teamnoclutter
  • @janiep81 I didn't have the Owlet. We kept our baby in our room until 5 months, and then we only sporadically used the sound monitor until our LO was about 1 year old. Our rooms were right next to each other and my husband is a light sleeper so he was waking up all the time. I think it also helped a bit as she then could take a minute to settle herself before one of us was in there to soothe her. If I were on a different floor, or if our rooms were farther apart I would have used something more high tech. We'll see how it goes with the new baby!

@Peachie89 I have a Lillebaby carrier and used it all the time with my daughter! I recommend it for sure. You can use it with newborns and you can carry the baby forward or backward. Our daughter had a strong preference for looking out into the world. :) It also felt a bit sturdier to me than the K'Tan, which I had as well. I was always afraid she'd fall out of that one.
  • @rjgmcmanus and @ninrms For what it is worth, I have the Guava Family bassinet / playpen and used it for my first. I highly recommend it. It is super light and portable, so I would just pick it up and bring it with me if I was in the living room or kitchen to have a place to “dock” my kid if I needed to put her down for a bit. I also used it to travel with my daughter. Now she’s three, so a bit too big for the playpen layout, but I am absolutely using it with this baby too. I chose it because the Halo bassinet has those crazy legs that I was worried about tripping over, and I felt like it was better quality than the Pack n Play or Arms Reach Co-Sleeper.

• I haven't watched babies since I was a teenager and all the gear stuff sounds so new to me. Obviously everything we used "back in the day" is outdated. 

Is anyone planning on getting a swing? If so what kind? I know you are not supposed to let baby sleep in it but what other safety things do I need to know?

Also, I'd love to get one of those hands free breast pump bra thingies. But finding one that will accommodate a G (& up) cup is proving to be a real challenge. 
  • @mrszoobear When I had DS 9 years ago we splurged for a swing that was about $300. He hated it, we used it like twice. This go I am going with the ingenuity portable swing that’s around $70. It’s much smaller and can be moved room to room, however it does sit lower to the ground. I didn’t want to be out much more than that if baby doesn’t use it. It’s nothing fancy, the controls are on the swing itself and it goes back and forth with maybe a vibration or soothing sound. 
  • @mrszoobear with DS we didn’t have the space for a big swing so got this small one that folded up so small. It worked out great because we brought it to friends houses and on vacation. The only flaw was on wood floors he would end up scooting backwards lol. Sometimes he ended up across the room. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Deluxe-Take-Along-Swing/dp/B00NFETGLC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=portable+baby+swing&qid=1564501595&s=gateway&sr=8-3
  • @mrszoobear we have the Graco Slim Spaces swing from DS.  I liked that it was able to be folded up and moved but it also got a bit taller than the other portable swings.  We actually have two (one at our house and one at my parents because they watched him for awhile before we started daycare.).  We got them both used in great shape for $25 each.  DS1 was ok with it for short times.  He liked the bouncer better. 

This time we have more space (new house) and got a used Mamaroo for $70.  I'm willing to spend that amount of money but not the $225 they normally cost. Not worth it. 

Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• We are thinking about a lightweight stroller and are looking at the Guzzie + Guss Oxygen. It seems to be similar to the Uppababy Minu at half the price (and a little less carrying capacity). Anyone have experience with any of these strollers? I'm also curious because there are two bad Amazon reviews for the Oxygen that say it's too reclined for older kids. But I can't find anything online about the optimal degree of inclination for healthy posture/development. Anyone know anything about this?
  • I’ve never used it before because there aren’t any Targets in Canada but they’re doing their car seat trade-in program September 3-13. Apparently if you bring in any car seat, including expired ones, you get a coupon for a hefty deal off a brand new one. 
    Maybe buy a super-cheap secondhand one or see if anyone is getting rid of one and use that to claim your coupon? 
  • @CapricaAndrea - Thank you!  My MIL gave us a car seat which will likely be expired by the time we need it for this LO, so I'm going to trade that in to get a new carseat for my DD so that this LO can have her car seat.  
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  •  I need baby monitor suggestions. I want bluetooth to my phone, a camera with good resolution..... let's hear it mommas! 
  • @ktmaesim I use the nest camera and then use an old fashioned walkie talkie monitor for the sound. 
  • @ktmaesim we are registered for a Nanit. Anyone I’ve talked to that has one loves it. 
  • The Wirecutter website has very extensive monitor reviews if you're interested in checking those out (they have them for lots of baby gear)
  • PSA: If anyone needs a stroller, the Ergo Baby 180 is at a crazy low price for Labor Day weekend!! This stroller can be used from newborn and up and has a reversible handle bar so you can have your babe facing you or the world.

Use code: LABORDAY to get it for $149 (reg $399, marked down to $299 and then 50% off).

https://ergobaby.com/strollers/180-reversible-stroller-black
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Any STMs used a moses basket before? Really wanting one because they are sooo cute and could be used for storage/ decoration after baby outgrows it, but having a hard time justifying buying one. We would use it for when he's a newborn sleeping in our room and probably when he's just hanging out in the house with us, we can easily move him and keep him in view. 
  • @firsttimemomma417 I had one with our daughter and plan on using it again. It's nice because it's so portable and we don't have to carry the base around if we don't want to. We don't have a super expensive one, I can't justify spending a ton of money on something that they are going to outgrow in just a few months!