Infertility
Options

Retrieval Results - Looking for some insight!

Hi everyone! Just got our Day 1 results after ER yesterday. They retrieved 26 eggs and 23 were mature. Only 9 fertilized but they said they will keep them to see if things change by day 3 and see if more ended up dividing. I'm super bummed by the number since the embryologist said they usually expect at least 50% but we are dealing with Male Factor. Has anyone else had this happen and still had success? I'm hoping the 9 that fertilized are strong and make it to freeze.

Re: Retrieval Results - Looking for some insight!

• Options
    Did they use ICSI or just natural fertilization? We also had lower fertilization rate (but no male factor) -- 9 mature eggs, only 5 fertilized. The doctor says it usually a sign of issues with the sperm. If they didn't use ICSI, what was their reason as with male factor I would think that it would be pretty straightforward to go with ICSI...
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    ACAC25ACAC25 member
    Unfortunately we are also dealing with MFI. These were my numbers
    IVF 1 13 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5. Transferred both. Failed IVF
    IVF 2 12 retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized, 2 made it to day 3. Transferred both. Failed IVF. 

My doctor said low fertilization rate can be an egg or sperm issue but a rapid decline in the number of embryos indicates a sperm issue. Ultimately we think my DH has a genetic issue preventing embryos from developing past a certain point. We used a donor for IVF3 and just transferred 3 embryos today. Good luck!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Male factor here also. We had 20 eggs retrieved, 12 were mature, 10 fertilized, 8 blasts, 7 pgs normal. I think everything about IVF is just a crapshoot honestly.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    ACAC25ACAC25 member
    @wifeinraleigh28 you are totally right!
  • Options
    This might be kind of late but your results also depend on the drug protocol the doctor decides to use and how you respond to it.

my first egg retrievel:
    28 eggs retrieved 
    26 mature
    24 fertilized
    20 made it to day 3
    17 made it to day 5

second egg retrieval 
    23 eggs retrieved 
    11 mature
    9 fertilized
    9 made it to day 3
    4 made it to day 5

the only difference between the two retrievals is the first retrieval i had more gonal f than menopur and the second retrieval they swapped it and i had double the amount of menopur and hapf as much gonal f.
    they dont know until they try it, how you will respond in terms of quality of eggs and quantity.