August 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Nursing clothing and bras

Hi all! This week we are wrapping up our Mom-Centric mini-series, where first we discussed what products mom may need during labor and in the hospital bag, then immediate postpartum recovery needs, and now we'll look beyond to the months and even years after that: clothing (and particularly bras) suitable for nursing or pumping. Or, if you do neither, if there are any items, clothing or otherwise, that you've found handy for your post-pregnancy body!

For nursing bras, is there a particular style you prefer? Do you have a variety or stick to mainly one type? Do you like the type that snaps up top or the soft stretchy pull-down type? How many nursing bras in general do you have? Fabrics or brands you prefer? How strict are you about no-underwire? What was your timing for nursing bras purchases (i.e., how long until your size stabilized)? Do you have a nursing bra rec that's a little sexier or fancier for when you want to feel more put together? Do you use a special pumping bra? 

And after your boobs are outfitted, what next? Can you recommend a particular nursing tank or cami (and do you ever wear just that instead of a nursing bra)? What does your nursing wardrobe look like? Particular dresses, shirts, sweaters, scarves that facilitate quick access? What do you wear 1) while lounging around the house, 2) professional circumstances, or 3) going out and looking cute? Any special pajamas or nightgowns? What brands are friendly to nursing bodies and postpregnancy bodies? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Nursing clothing and bras

• cato99cato99 member
    A couple of notes: 1) I nursed for a year pretty much round the clock and wore nursing clothing the whole time. I don't think I put on a non-nursing item even once that whole time, so after weaning it was like the universe opened up. 2) I'm large-chested (32-H or 34-G/H-ish) so that affects my clothing choices. Also, other than a few dresses, I don't really like cross-over clothing for both pregnancy and nursing because they serve very different purposes on very different body shapes, so I have hardly any overlap between maternity and nursing clothing. 

BRAS

I never felt the pull-down style of nursing bra/bralette gave me sufficient support, so I exclusively wore the style with the snap up above each boob. My size is generally challenging to shop for, so I mainly used Target nursing sports bras and a couple of Target structured bras in an XL which gave me enough room for boobs but didn't provide enough support at the band, but I just put up with it. I had one nicer structured bra from Elomi in my real size that was ok but not great (the fabric was really stiff, which I guess helped to provide support without underwire, but just wasn't very comfortable), and this flimsy lace-ish bra that was woefully inadequate (it's not available on Amazon anymore but just in case you see the brand elsewhere, I would avoid it). For pumping, I used the Simple Wishes hands-free pumping bra pretty much everyone has. 

CLOTHING

I lived in these nursing tanks, usually with a bra underneath but sometimes on their own if I was at home (bonus they're also long, and stretch/tight so they provided a nice smoothing layer for my postpartum belly). A very common outfit for that time was this tank, high-waist leggings, a cardigan, and a scarf (I especially liked infinity nursing scarves); drapey flowy kimonos also work over those tanks. I also wore them under hoodies for exercising. 

Another good Amazon cheapie multi-pack I used a lot was this drapey shirt, also with the nursing tank underneath. In that same style but longer (and nicer), I also wore to death this shirt/cardigan from Nordstrom with leggings: it was super flattering. I wound up sewing a little stitch at the top so that I could wear it without a tank underneath (but still was able to access boobs). 

I really tried to find clothing that was nursing friendly but not low-cut because it was such a drag to have to manage my cleavage all the time. Roolee dresses were a lifesaver, especially simple, high-necked ones with the side-slit like this one. I also had a couple of nice Isabella Oliver dresses as an exception to my practice of not using maternity clothing during nursing, and I imagine this time I'll also use the Pink Blush floral wrap dresses like this one I got for this pregnancy because the tops are stretchy enough to pull down. 

In general for nicer items (tops, sweaters) I went to Nordstrom; their selection isn't big but the items I did get I really liked. I generally don't like the type of garment that has a flap across the middle of your torso like this--I think they're baffling and unflattering. 
  • I lived in h&m nursing tanks and their stretchy nursing bras for a long time.  Nice bc they were comfy and adjusted with my boobs through the day.

In terms of going out,  I liked doing the layer trick - nursing tank under and regular shirt over so when I pulled the regular shirt up it covered the top part of my boobs and the nursing tank covered my belly. So I didn't feel bare whether I used a nursing cover or not. 

Button up shirts were fine too, but I felt more exposed in them since they didn't have the top coverage that pulling up a shirt had. 

Everyone has different preferences here so it will be interesting to see other suggestions in this thread :) 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Loading the player...
  • cato99cato99 member
    I wanted to bump this discussion up since it only has two responses and fell off to the second page, just in case anyone has burning bra and nursing clothing opinions!
  • Both of the last 2 kids, I lived in nursing bras and tanks from Target for months. At home I just wore the tank and a robe if I was cold. If visitors came over I threw on a button up or baggy shirt over the tank. When I returned to work, I wore a bra, the tank, and a sweater over that (business attire required). I needed the bra to hold my boobs up in public lol. The tank came in handy to keep my belly covered when I pumped so I could just pull up the sweater, unhook the tank and bra, and remain covered. I was always afraid of someone walking in even with the door locked (it was a combo lock, but about 15 people, all men, knew the combo. It never happened, but just in case, I was covered. 

I generally liked nursing bras with a bit of support that clipped off at the shoulder. This go round, I'm wearing more sport bra style nursing bras (started a month ago for comfort) that clip down. They have removable washable  pads which is nice for coverage right now. I'll put disposable pads in as well when I'm nursing. At night, I wore sleep stlye nursing bras that just pull over. It was easier for motn pumping. I had to wear a bra or tank every second of my life or else I'd leak like crazy. It took me a while to get used to sleeping with a bra since I never do. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• FTM with no experience (yet) but I bought some inexpensive nursing tanks from Amazon.  They are by Hofish, strange name but the quality I really appreciate. Sort of thicker material, wide straps, lots of support, built in bra. I love the length as I have a long torso and struggle with shirt fitting. 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    Talk to me about nursing tanks for long torsos (I’m 6”) and larger chests (42F). The built in shelf bras are a joke in the ones I have tried on in stores. I haaaate the weird feeling ones. Nylon, maybe?  They never tend to stay in place & always pill quickly. 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    I bought most of my nursing tanks from target or motherhood maternity and bras from amazon. I bought more of the hofish nursing bras this time and they seem supportive and like they’ll be flexible to fit an engorged boob. I also have a few cute shirts from latched mama that I really liked last time and wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again. Nice materials and good quality. 
  • H&M has good nursing tanks but not sure if it works for tall people. The material is so soft and it actually stays down and doesn’t roll. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @jrm_14

I find the nursing tanks at h&m long, but I don't have a long torso, so take it as you will.  They are made for pregnancy and nursing (wearing one right now lol). Last pregnancy I didn't notice any belly hanging out the bottom issue,  but this pregnancy I have noticed it if I'm wearing regular pj pants under the bump instead of maternity panel-over-the-bump stuff. But when I don't have a third tri belly and will be actually nursing I find them plenty long (borderline awkwardly long for me)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019