August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 5/26

Re: Weekly Questions 5/26

• aukeevaukeev member
    For you ladies who have already had your GD test - if yours was in the afternoon, what did you eat that day? Mine isn't until 4:00, and I'm worried something I'll eat is going to throw it off. I'm eating pretty healthy these days, but fruit is a pretty significant part of my diet. I also usually have plain Greek yogurt in the morning, but I've heard dairy can interfere.
  • @oklahomak, mine was in the AM but I had to fast 12 hours before and wasn’t allowed to eat anything. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @AKuzReve I wonder why some OBs have their patients fast beforehand and others don't? Mine told me I don't need to fast, just not to eat a ton of sweets that day.
  • hemlheml member
    @oklahomak My doctor recommended protein and “good” carbs for lunch a few hours before 
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @heml Thank you!
  • sw1122sw1122 member
    @cato99 - Thanks for your recos! I literally copied and pasted your post and emailed it to myself. I got my glucose test results yesterday and my blood sugar levels are at 167 (yikes considering 135 is normal). My doctor is having me take the 3 hour test next week, but I'll adjust my diet as if I have GD considering how high I'm at.

@oklahomak - I've also been told that having a high protein + low carb meal 3 hours before or the night before brings down your glucose levels. Though I did that the night before and didn't eat anything until my blood draw at 8:30 am. I also heard that fasting from the night before for the 1 hour test can throw off your glucose levels. Who knows, anyway good luck!
  • @oklahomak, I have no clue. It’s so strange. But we only do 2 hr test here instead of 1 then 3. I think they make you fast for 3 hour one? 

• @oklahomak I think it's because the 1 hour GTT that basically everyone does in North America is more a "screening" than a diagnosis unless it's crazy high.  The 2 and 3 hour are diagnostic tests so they have to be super controlled,  requiring fasting. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @oklahomak mine was in the morning but I had my normal Greek yogurt and a bowl of cereal because I was starving. Maybe my OB is in the minority but they really stressed eating completely normal because the whole idea is if there is a problem you want to catch it so they can monitor and treat you appropriately. They said if you try and ‘trick’ the test it can be dangerous is GD is missed which makes perfect sense to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @sw1122 @AKuzReve @BigBadWolf12 @olivemomma Thank you, ladies! Your information is so helpful. Eating normally for the screening really does seem like it would make sense, I just tend to be a worst case scenario thinker.
  • I agree with @olivemomma, though I did fast with the last one - mostly because I had the first-thing-in-the-morning-appointment. I've scheduled the same with DD2 and figured it's better to do the same COA, since they could compare the two if it does appear elevated (or not), knowing how everything turned out there. I did promise myself to drink more water this week, just in case, but mostly because I've been bad at hitting my daily water goals :# 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Anyone else schedule their induction yet in case you don’t go into labor naturally? How long past your dd are they letting you go? My Ob will schedule me as early as 8/01 (my original due date) or 1 week out from there and I can’t decide which is better. I would prefer to go into labor naturally and the extra week gives a better chance of that but after my son had the cord wrapped around his neck I’m a little scared to push it too far.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • aecmaecm member
    @olivemomma - I think waiting til a week after the due date is pretty standard, unless there’s a reason to induce earlier (like pre-ecplampsia or something). I’m not sure the extra week would really impact having the cord wrapped around the neck. My daughter was born the day before her due date and it was wrapped around her neck (twice). My OB suspected it in advance b/c her heart rate would drop a bit during contractions, and told me it was pretty common and not to worry about it. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • mkrelmkrel member
    @olivemomma My cervix was favorable at my 39 week appointment last time and I scheduled an induction for my due date.  I had a great experience and hope to do the same again. I haven't been offered to schedule it at this point, but I also am a worrier and don't want to go too much passed my due date. 

@aecm Did you have a csection or was she delivered safely vaginally with the cord wrapped around her neck? This is one of my biggest fears but I know there is nothing I can do to control that. 

Is anyone having more constipation in the third tri? With my daughter it was all at the beginning, now this time I had zero issues until a week or so ago.  
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @mkrel I hit 28 weeks next week, but am also dealing with more constipation. Honestly, the only thing I have found that helps is coffee. Not sure what you're doing in terms of caffeine, but I only have BMs on days I have a cup of caffeinated coffee. For some reason decaf just doesn't do it for me.
  • cato99cato99 member
    I'm also not sure about how induction vs natural labor impacts the cord around the neck? Is it because with induction you'd be monitored from the start and you'd be able to catch the decelerations during contractions a little earlier? Like @aecm my DD had hers wrapped twice around her neck and her heart rate decelerated rapidly during stronger contractions. I was able to push her out but they had to stop me halfway so they could gently cut her neck free while she was half-out-half-in. It was scary but I don't think inducing would have changed anything (as long as I made it to the hospital in time to start pushing her out!).
  • aecmaecm member
    @mkrel - I ended up with a c-section, related to her cord detaching from her placenta, not the fact that it was wrapped around her neck. 

And yes to the worsening constipation in the third tri. It was horrible third tri with DD, and I’ve had intermittent constipation this pregnancy but it’s slowly and steadily happening more often. Sigh. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @mkrel - ALL the constipation. Thankfully, I don't feel constipated, but I am going like 4-7 days between NO MATTER what I eat/drink/do. The only thing that has seemed to help is trying to add fried food once or twice a week (I am not a fan) or having 4-6 oz of beer twice a week (I think I read there's some probiotics in it that help?); no amount of yogurts, fiber, fiber pills, stool softeners (it seems to be a timing issue, not a "backed up" issue), or "gentle encouragers" seems to help, so I've just been sticking with those two for now. It's strange because I had no issues at all until about ... 22-ish weeks? And it's been pretty constant since :|

@olivemomma - I'm pretty sure the standard max is somewhere between 7-10 days past EDD, after that point the pregnancy becomes much more dangerous for mother and child. My sister was allowed to go +10 with her first (2010) and +7 with her second (2012). I chose to be induced with DD1 at 40+1 (I did fertility treatments so my doc felt comfortable moving my EDD back 1 day so I could get induced on that Friday and not go through the weekend - 4th of July -, worrying about it because they won't induce first children before 40 at the hospital where I deliver) - but I was also starting to have blood pressure issues that had not presented itself before that point (I had two NSTs after 37wks because of this). If you are concerned about the recurrence of a wrapped cord (I don't know if there are correlations between pregnancies), it might put you at ease to set a date on it so that you can be monitored throughout for any signs of distress. I don't think that's anything a doctor/hospital will frown upon, especially given your concerns and you've already had at least one child (so you would understand the risks of induction v. waiting and vice versa).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Thanks ladies. I do realize going natural vs being induced doesn’t actually impact the cord around the neck - it’s either wrapped around or it isn’t. I guess I just have a fear going longer if it is. Maybe a better question would be if the cord is wrapped around the neck does it become more dangerous the longer you are pregnant?? That’s probably a question for my OB unless anyone has insight!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @oklahomak like @AKuzReve I did a 2 hr, and they did have me fast. I think you would be fine going with your regular diet. I've heard conflicting advice about "preping" some people say to eat/drink normally others say to change up your diet in the days leading up to the test. I think I would err on the side of caution and just stick to my regular diet to get a better idea of how my body is functioning. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @oklahomak I have my test in the afternoon on my ob said no carbs.  She suggested eggs & bacon/sausage for breakfast and then a protein and veggie for lunch. 
  • @drewsdarlin I think you already got some great advice.  I'd say:
    Track what you're eating. Write it down or use an app. Actually measure or weigh your portions. Look for hidden carbs in what you're eating (rememeber, sugar is a carb, and sugar has lots of names. Like "high fructose corn syrup".)
    Limit processed/fast foods as they usually have lots of (hidden) sugar.
    ***High protien diet.**
    Try to make sure any carbs you do have, are complex carbs. 
    FYI, when eaten alone, carrots apparently have a "high glycemic index", meaning they raise your BGL more than you'd think.
    Don't drink your sugar/carb allowance (juice, pop, sports drinks etc).
    Frequent small meals will help keep your BGL more even, instead of yo-yoing/spiking and crashing.
    ***Exercise**
    ***Drink lots of water. You don't have to chug it. But frequently sip it all day. There are free apps you can get to help you track your water intake and that can remind you to drink. A reusable water bottle that has measurements on it is handy. (My OB wants me drinking 5L /day. Obviously you should speak to your own doctor or dietician for what is right for you though).

Water/being properly hydrated, really does help lower BGL. We use different measurements in Canada vs the states (normal is 4-7mmol) and I've seen people at potentially dangerously high leveks, say, 28, come down 8 points after drinking 500mL of water. (After 33, our monitors only read "high". I've seen people at 26 in a coma. Everyones body is different ).

If you have trouble consuming water, I'd suggest avoiding caffine since it's a dieuretic.

Disclaimer: not a doctor or dietician. Talk to yours for advice
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    Did I miss the TMI thread this week? I have a good one and frankly it’d be embarrassing to post it in any other thread....
  • @drewsdarlin I think you already got some great advice.  I'd say:
    Track what you're eating. Write it down or use an app. Actually measure or weigh your portions. Look for hidden carbs in what you're eating (rememeber, sugar is a carb, and sugar has lots of names. Like "high fructose corn syrup".)
    Limit processed/fast foods as they usually have lots of (hidden) sugar.
    ***High protien diet.**
    Try to make sure any carbs you do have, are complex carbs. 
    FYI, when eaten alone, carrots apparently have a "high glycemic index", meaning they raise your BGL more than you'd think.
    Don't drink your sugar/carb allowance (juice, pop, sports drinks etc).
    Frequent small meals will help keep your BGL more even, instead of yo-yoing/spiking and crashing.
    ***Exercise**
    ***Drink lots of water. You don't have to chug it. But frequently sip it all day. There are free apps you can get to help you track your water intake and that can remind you to drink. A reusable water bottle that has measurements on it is handy. (My OB wants me drinking 5L /day. Obviously you should speak to your own doctor or dietician for what is right for you though).

Water/being properly hydrated, really does help lower BGL. We use different measurements in Canada vs the states (normal is 4-7mmol) and I've seen people at potentially dangerously high leveks, say, 28, come down 8 points after drinking 500mL of water. (After 33, our monitors only read "high". I've seen people at 26 in a coma. Everyones body is different ).

If you have trouble consuming water, I'd suggest avoiding caffine since it's a dieuretic.

Disclaimer: not a doctor or dietician. Talk to yours for advice
    Thank you. 
  • @olivemomma I don't know numbers but it would make sense that the cord around the neck could tighten over time.  But there are also risks with induction too since it's sort of forcing the body to start something it isn't currently prepared for, so balancing the "get out sooner rather than later" vs "let's not introduce any extra risks" is definitely an individual thing for the delivery team to discuss with the mom imo.

Possibly triggering in spoiler though I tried not to say anything that would fuel the fire around cord anxiety 
    The cord around the neck is a sensitive spot for me based on immediate family history,  so last pregnancy I was so nervous all of first tri that id lose the baby to another miscarriage,  had a few weeks of second tri bliss, followed by being so nervous about losing the baby in a cord accident at the end. Thankfully this time I haven't been as anxious,  but I'm just sort of waiting for it to come......

I try to convince myself that I've heard of so many babies who are born with the cord around their neck and do fine, so even if the cord is wrapped around the neck,  it doesn't mean family history will repeat. It helps me quiet the thoughts. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• @BigBadWolf12 you are right. Being born with the cord around the neck is super common. It's USUALLY not a big deal. Once the head is delivered, we just slip it off, or clamp and cut if necessary.
    The doctors I've seen do it, aren't even the least bit phased.

• My nephew had a really terrible cord experience but I try to remind myself that 1) it was unusual and 2) it could/should have been handled better by the doctors. 

• If I had no risk factors at all I would not agree to induction before 41w. Some women's bodies just take longer to grow babies and inducing increases your risks of complications during delivery. I am not an expert but do not think the cord issue would typically be worse at 41 weeks than 40. 

DD was born with the cord around her neck and shoulder dystocia. The cord around the neck did not phase doctors in the slightest because it is so common. Shoulder dystocia is a whole different story. Because of the shoulder dystocia history my OB does not advise going past my EDD and I agree. Thankfully I have always gone into labor naturally before my EDD. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited May 2019
    Ya, I grew up thinking it was this rare automatically fatal thing to have the cord around the baby's neck, but the more birth stories I hear as an adult the more I realize it's common and my parents just got on the wrong side of the statistics :/ which does bring me comfort in a weird way.

Also fwiw the cord related tragedy in my family happened at 37 weeks, not overdue at all,  so timing definitely is not a "cause" of cord issues or even an indication of the severity of the outcome.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• mkrelmkrel member
    Pacifier opinions?
    My daughter would not take one no matter how hard we tried.  In the early days, I wished she would have taken it, but as she got older and I see others struggling to take them away I am thankful that she never took to it.

Is the benefit worth the struggle later on? Anyone have one kid take it and another refuse it? Which did you prefer?
  • @mkrel my first only occasionally took a binkie the first 6 months of his life. The next two took them until after 2. The second kid actually sucked his think until very recently (he's 4.) I think anything is worth it if it helps you survive and be happy. Both kid #2 and #3 were very high maintenance babies. A binkie was about the only way for us to get some quiet. Kid 2 dropped the binkie pretty easily, but that's probably because he was already sucking his thumb. Kid 3 still uses a binkie at sleep times and she is almost 2.5. I'm ok with where we are at. She sleeps, we sleep. She doesn't need it during the day, and while she has some communication issues none of them are caused by the binkie. She doesn't even use it all night.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if your baby needs one and it keeps them calm and gives you sanity, then yes it's worth the difficulties later.
  • @mkrel neither of mine were pacifier babies although I sure tried with DD but that child wanted nothing but a boob in her mouth. As they got older i was glad I didn’t have a habit to break them of but I think it’s probably just kid dependent.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • AvrilmaiAvrilmai member
    edited May 2019
    @mkrel FTM here, but I read the American Academy of Pediatrics safe sleep recommendations and one thing that they do recommend is offering a pacifier at nap time and bedtime. Possible **TW  "studies have reported a protective effect of pacifiers on the incidence of SIDS." end TW** and "For breastfed infants, pacifier introduction should be delayed until breastfeeding is firmly established."  of course there are specifications, no strings or stuffed animals attached, if it falls out leave it out, if baby refuses don't force it. I plan to at least offer...maybe that is just the anxious FTM in me. 

ETA: quotation marks to the quote from the aap

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @mkrel neither of mine were pacifier kids and I am okay with that. I introduced them both to it and they had no interest. DD would spit it back and scream bloody murder like someone was trying to torture her. DS would entertain the idea before giving me a dirty look and spitting it out. I wish DD would have taken one because she used me as a pacifier and would not even sleep without my boob in her mouth. It was nice to not have to wean them off of pacifiers though. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @olivemomma DD2 was born at 40+3 she did have her cord around her neck once. It really wasn't a big deal for us. I am a VBAC so I am hoping to avoid induction unless absolutely necessary. I would personally wait till 41 weeks.. My midwife says something like 95% of women go into labor on their own by 41 weeks...

@mkrel the twins LOVED pacifiers and they were super helpful. (thankfully the weaning process wasn't too painful). DD2 would never take one. I guess I would say you could try but it wasn't any harder having a baby who wouldn't take one... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• mkrelmkrel member
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. My daughter preferred the boob too and it certainly would have been helpful had she used one. We will probably introduce it again and see if it works and go from there, but I don’t plan on trying too hard. @Avrilmai I have read that too and it was the only “safe sleep” recommendation we didn’t follow, but I do appreciate that they offer that benefit. 
  • aecmaecm member
    @mkrel - My DD was good about taking a pacifier, and I liked it for the reasons @Avrilmai explained, though our pediatrician was totally fine introducing it right away and not holding off til breastfeeding was established or whatever. Then my DD gave it up around 6 months on her own. It was kind of perfect. 

So I’m hoping my twins are the same as DD with pacifiers. I’ll definitely offer it to them as newborns. I have a friend that’s had a lot of weaning success with her 6(!) kids by having a “pacifier fairy” come at age 2 and take away the pacifiers and leave a little toy / gift in return....so that’s my plan if my twins haven’t given them up by that age...or maybe a bit earlier... 😬
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    @BigBadWolf12 I was born with the cord around my neck. So I guess since I heard the story of when I was born growing up it hasn’t been a major concern for me but obviously all turned out well. My mom says that she knew something was up because the midwife obviously intensified during delivery. But she said she jumped right in and handled the situation and handed me to my mom moments later. I agree with @chillycanadian providers probably handle it so much. And we don’t typically hear the good stories passed along as much as the scary ones. 
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    Question regarding pacifiers....has anyone noticed any dental issues with their kids after using them? I think I maybe heard something about that...or maybe it was related to thumb sucking, I can’t remember....just curious!
  • aecmaecm member
    @emqbee - My DD didn’t have dental issues b/c she gave it up early, but as a kid I was starting to have issues that self-corrected after the pacifier was taken away. Both pacifiers and thumb sucking can be problematic if used too long. Our pediatric dentist recommended getting rid of them at our first visit at age 2. Not sure if they actually should be removed earlier than that to prevent dental issues. 
    BabyFetus Ticker