October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @cmbt2 that definitely makes it horrible! If it were cherry (like cough syrup) I’m not confident I’d be able to take it lol
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • To this day I cannot drink orange soda unless it's ice cold and freshly opened. As soon as it's starting to lose the fizz, it makes me sick because of the "demon" drink lol
  • Loading the player...
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    cmbt2 said:
    Has anyone had or have scheduled their 1-hr glucose test? At my appointment on Tuesday, the OB told me that at my next appointment (24 weeks), I need to drink the demon beverage (my own personal phrasing here) before I come in. As I failed the 1-hr with DS and had to do the 3-hr but passed, I'm a little apprehensive. They actually gave me the drink before I left, told me to refrigerate it (since it tastes better that way) and gave me the instructions. I did reschedule my appointment to the early morning to get the best possible result, but I'm just anxious... 
    I do mine at 28w, but I already have that scheduled. I don’t recommend doing it in the morning because eating breakfast can throw off the test, and you are not supposed to fast for the 1 hour. 

They gave me the option of doing grape grape juice this time, and I’m thrilled. I hate that orange grossness and am guaranteed to crash after
    Mine is scheduled for my 28 week appointment as well. I'm going to ask about grape juice!!
    It’s the first time I’ve been told it’s okay! 10oz of welches grape juice
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • It kinda tasted like Sunny D to me. But I did jelly beans last time. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    junebabyh said:
    I would actually highly recommend scheduling your glucose test for first thing in the morning like @stephanie123456. You can definitely fast prior to the blood draw if you want and therefore doing it in the morning is preferred as not to be starving and/or nervous about what you've eaten all day if you do it in the afternoon (and decide not to fast, which is up to you. My doctors have always told me I CAN eat, but don't have to). Avoid carbs, breads, and juice as not to spike your sugar levels. If you decide not to fast eat things like eggs and meat. I failed the 1-hour both times, but passed the 3-hour both times. Also, my mom is a Type 1 diabetic. I have done lots of research on this.
    Fasting can actually cause you to fail the 1-hour. I can’t be the only one who’s been told this, right?
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 my OB said not to fast and to eat as normal as possible.  
  • cmbt2 said:
    junebabyh said:
    I would actually highly recommend scheduling your glucose test for first thing in the morning like @stephanie123456. You can definitely fast prior to the blood draw if you want and therefore doing it in the morning is preferred as not to be starving and/or nervous about what you've eaten all day if you do it in the afternoon (and decide not to fast, which is up to you. My doctors have always told me I CAN eat, but don't have to). Avoid carbs, breads, and juice as not to spike your sugar levels. If you decide not to fast eat things like eggs and meat. I failed the 1-hour both times, but passed the 3-hour both times. Also, my mom is a Type 1 diabetic. I have done lots of research on this.
    Fasting can actually cause you to fail the 1-hour. I can’t be the only one who’s been told this, right?
    I guess each place must have different views. I've always taken mine in the morning and was always told to eat my breakfast as normally would. I eat the same thing every morning, eggs, veggies and sometimes turkey sausage so I'm not eating anything sugary or carby. I've never had an issue. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    jal88144 said:
    cmbt2 said:
    junebabyh said:
    I guess each place must have different views. I've always taken mine in the morning and was always told to eat my breakfast as normally would. I eat the same thing every morning, eggs, veggies and sometimes turkey sausage so I'm not eating anything sugary or carby. I've never had an issue. 
    Mine prefers we do it in the morning, too, but I don’t because I would lose the whole day of work. I’ve never had an issue either 🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    emily1052 said:
    @cmbt2 my OB said not to fast and to eat as normal as possible.  
    Yes, this is the general rule. The point is it’s a screen, not a diagnostic test, so it’s to catch those who need to go for the 3 hour or do a weeklong blood sugar test
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 @emily1052 Agreed. My OB office didn't say I had to fast but that if I was to eat breakfast, nothing sugary and also gave the suggestion of eggs/protein. I had Kaiser with DS and I totally didn't get any instructions so I could have very well eaten something that would have skewed the test (their cutoff was 130 and my result was 131). 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• I have a 2 hour scheduled for 27 weeks. My midwife told me it's the new standard of care... Anyone else doing a 2 hr? 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @cmbt2 @emily1052 Agreed. My OB office didn't say I had to fast but that if I was to eat breakfast, nothing sugary and also gave the suggestion of eggs/protein. I had Kaiser with DS and I totally didn't get any instructions so I could have very well eaten something that would have skewed the test (their cutoff was 130 and my result was 131). 
    Ah, I think my cut off has always been 140 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve heard 130-140, provider dependent. 4 hours between test draw and carbs seems to be a good time frame for it, at least in my experiences. I don’t eat eggs or other breakfast meats besides bacon, so id be screwed doing it first thing in the morning
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @stephanie123456 they sent yours home?!? We have to drink that crap and sit in the lab waiting room for the hour!! With DS, I did mine the day my papa passed away so I don't even remember it really, but DDs I did it the week after my ultrasound since I was already at 24 weeks and sitting for that hour was awful! They also had me do an hour fast I believe, nothing to eat or drink the hour before it. I did both the orange and the lime and theyre both disgusting!!!! 😣 I'll do mine at my next appointment I believe she said. 

• I think it tastes like popsicle syrup with carbonation. It's too thick and sweet 🤢

• I was told to fast for both of my previous pregnancies. It is crazy how much stuff changes over time.
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @stephanie123456 they sent yours home?!? We have to drink that crap and sit in the lab waiting room for the hour!! With DS, I did mine the day my papa passed away so I don't even remember it really, but DDs I did it the week after my ultrasound since I was already at 24 weeks and sitting for that hour was awful! They also had me do an hour fast I believe, nothing to eat or drink the hour before it. I did both the orange and the lime and theyre both disgusting!!!! 😣 I'll do mine at my next appointment I believe she said. 
    I’ve always been given it to take at home 🤷🏼‍♀️ My draws are at their office, though, and not a dedicated lab
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 huh!! That's so amazing to me that they also trust you to drink it 😂😂 I don't think I'd do it if I had it at home haha. Now that I think more, maybe I didn't have to fast for DD. For DS I did it early in the am cause I had the bio test and I had been up since about 5 when my aunt came to tell us about Papa. So I don't really remember. But maybe I didn't. I hate blood draws though and had my dad go with with DD, this time hopefully SO can with. The nurses always try to sit me up and I tell them unless they want me to pass out I have to lay down 😑

• @andromedacorrine2 Yes, they gave it to me which was surprising! With DS and Kaiser, they didn't tell me that I was taking the test until my appointment and it was at like 3:45pm. If I truly have it, then I would most definitely want them to catch it so we could take the appropriate steps but I don't want to have to take that 3-hr test if it's not necessary. I also pass out with needles and blood draws, so for DS, at the first hour draw (so total blood draw #2), I fainted and had to finish the test in the nurses clinic lying down.
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• @perfectlove09 I didn't think it was that bad either. I was more worried about getting a low blood sugar and that shaky feeling afterward like a lot of people said they have because I'm usually pretty sensitive to that, luckily it was fine. 
  • @stephanie123456 I agree, much rather catch it early! I just don't think I would drink it at home 😂 both times I remember a nurse coming back out to take the container from me, they give you I think 10 minutes to drink it and then wait for the hour. I never had to do the 3 hr test, so I wouldn't know! But I'd rather avoid it as well haha. 
    @SLou24 that's amazing 😂our nurses here always tell me when I feel like I'm gonna faint to tell them and they'll count down with me. I'm such a bday with needles though 😂😂😂

• Is anyone else getting Charlie horses in their legs?! It hit me with my previous 2 pregnancies around 20 weeks and it’s hitting me again.....ugh the pain! I’m trying to stay as hydrated as I can and walk but does anyone have any other tips? 😭😭😩
  • @dogmom5 I've heard a lot of people say magnesium supplements help. I personally drink pickle juice. 
  • @dogmom5 potassium - bananas, coconut water
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• @galentine :D It's a thing, I swear! 
  • @ineedsixeggs, I'm going to need details on this. Like, do you drink it straight from the jar? Does it taste good? How much do you drink? Where did you get the idea to drink pickle juice?

• @galentine before I got pregnant I was doing Keto and pickle juice is what they recommended for the carb hangover headaches and body aches. I love pickles but nope I tried and couldn’t do it.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @galentine pickle juice is full of electrolytes and is pretty good for you from what I understand lol It's super common among althetes as a cramping remedy! 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    dogmom5 said:
    Is anyone else getting Charlie horses in their legs?! It hit me with my previous 2 pregnancies around 20 weeks and it’s hitting me again.....ugh the pain! I’m trying to stay as hydrated as I can and walk but does anyone have any other tips? 😭😭😩
    MW said to take a magnesium supplement and up your potassium 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Mmmmmm pickle juice! I always have loved pickles, but I was a no go on the juice. Until the other day when I finished my pickles and wanted more. I decided to give the juice another whirl. It was amazing! I have heard with pickles to be careful of the sodium, so I’m guessing this applies to the juice too. Yes I drank right from the jar and didn’t finish it, so I stuck the jar back in the fridge. I’m freshly stocked with pickles again, so I’ll pry toss the juice...maybe. Between this and the pickle bun mentioned in the what am I eating thread, we’re just feeding into the pregger lady stereotypes! 

• So ummm does the type of pickle juice matter? Dill, gherkin, bread n butter? I have been getting something in my legs but I can't tell what cause it's more like halfway between a charlie horse and restless leg syndrome. Poor legs don't know what they want to do, cramp or move 🙄
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • @ineedsixeggs I just can’t do the juice 🥴
    have you ever make quickles (quick pickles).  I make them every summer and LOVE them!  My sister loves the juice.  
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @cooaladolly I have restless legs too and it gets SO much worse during pregnancy. No advice, just letting you know I feel your pain!! 

(and ftr, pickle juice is so good for you!! we used to give it to our athletes for dehydration :) )
  • @emily1052 I haven't heard of quickles! Will look into this. 

@cooaladolly I've always used dill because it's my fave. I have no idea if it matters or not. 
  • I don’t want to jinx myself but waking up screaming in the middle of the night from a horrible Charlie horse in your calf is just horrifying. I’m contemplating just drinking pickle juice straight from the jar if it will help 😂 I usually eat at least a banana a day but I’ll eat 3 or more if I can prevent these leg cramps also!