August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 5/26

What questions do you have this week?

Re: Weekly Questions 5/26

• jrm_14jrm_14 member
    Is anyone else having pelvic pain like you rode a bike or horse for too long? It hurts to stand up, to roll over, to sit, to dress & undress. Currently, I have ice between my legs to help. ( I will discuss with my dr at the next visit :) )
  • aecmaecm member
    @jrm_14 YUP. I can’t cross my legs / keep my legs together anymore. Every time I take a step it feels like someone is hammering my pelvis apart in two separate directions. The bones around (under? in? lol) my crotch are super tender. So it’s super lots of fun. I had it with my last pregnancy, but it started later and wasn’t quite this bad. I talked to my OB at my 20wk appointment, she said if it got worse we could try a pelvic support belt and/or physical therapy....but that in all reality I’m going to be stuck with some form of discomfort from it until delivery. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @jrm_14 yep. I have had it to some degree with each pregnancy and pretty sure it has started earlier each time. This time it started during early 2nd tri and has not let up. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @jrm_14 yep! Could be SPD. It could also be that baby is hanging out low and putting a lot of pressure on you. Could be both!
  • @jrm_14, yes. Mine is SPD and hurts so much. I’ve heard that a chiro who specializes in Webster method is helpful in alleviating the pain. This is more prominent in North America. It hurts so badly. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• I’m not sure if it’s the same pain you guys are having but my left hip has been absolutely awful since around 20 weeks, but it comes and goes. Sunday it was radiating out into my lower back and down my leg, then yesterday it was fine. I finally have a PT appointment next week (that I had to schedule a month out), so hoping that helps. 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    @aecm @Allycat11 @AKuzReve@beauxbaxton Yup- that’s the pain. The vag bones (pubic bone, probably?) feel like they’re being pried apart with a crow bar. Hope you all find SOME degree of relief. 

@thirdtimesacharm2019 That sounds slightly different, but also rather painful. That’s frustrating your appt had to be so far out!  
  • Does anyone else here have gestational diabetes?
  • @thirdtimesacharm2019 I wonder if we're having similar pain issues. Mine is my right hip, but more like the hip crease. At first it was an almost burning sensation and now it feels like "pins and needles" or that my hip "fell asleep." It comes and goes too. I plan to talk to my doc about it, but it is so weird. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• hemlheml member
    +1 on the pelvic pain. A heating pad in my crotch seems to help some but on days it’s really bad, I have to take Tylenol. I bought and have tried the support band but I didn’t think it helped. Sometimes deep squats or stretching my inner thighs feels good/helps 
  • If you are having a baby shower, do you get the hostess(es) a gift? If so, what will you get her? I could use some ideas!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am wondering this too.

• aukeevaukeev member
    @Lotus_2008 My BFF whose shower I hosted in January gave me and the other hostess a volcano candle and a card, which we both loved! I have two hostesses and I am trying to decide between flowers (probably from Whole Foods) and a gift card to a coffee shop or gift certificates for a manicure or pedicure. I'd love to hear what others have planned!
  • My mom and best friend have done both of my showers (well, one shower and one sprinkle) and are doing this one as well. I wrote thank you cards to them and got my friend a nice framed picture of her with each kid (obviously this was delayed).

I'd probably do something a little different if it was a different hostess though. Maybe a gift card or something added on.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I've only had noticeable pelvic pain once and it was after a 30-min session with a balance board (trying to test ways to prevent any lower-extremity swelling for when the temps go up). I feel it was just gravity telling me to "sit the hell down" and just focus on getting up and walking every now-and-then. I have had some minor lower back pain, but nothing too dire just yet. I did buy some kinesiology tape, though (see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4837927/ & https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/changing/pregnancy-belly-support-solutions/). It's tooooooooo damn hot here to wear belts or compression socks, so I'm trying to have all my bases covered for when things really get crazy.

@oklahomak - Those are great ideas!
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @Lotus_2008 - I gave my hostesses gift cards to a spa for my first. My co-workers threw me a sprinkle for DD2 and I gave them all something, I think perhaps wine? Maybe sugarfina candy? I actually can't remember but know that I got them something. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • hemlheml member
    @Lotus_2008 I got each of my hostesses a bottle of rosé and a yeti wine tumbler. Our co-ed shower at a nearby restaurant is a fairly expensive endeavor so I found it appropriate for the thank you gifts to reflect that. I got a drybar gift card as a bridesmaid’s gift once and thought that would be an excellent hostess gift since they’re all over. 
  • cato99cato99 member
    @Lotus_2008 I didn’t have a traditional baby shower with DD but some friends threw a swanky little cocktail party in honor of us and the upcoming baby, and as a thank you I picked up the bill for a fancy dinner we went to later. 

@drewsdarlin I’m sorry to hear about your GD diagnosis. I was spared for this pregnancy but I had it last time and was OBSESSIVE about it so if you have any questions I’m happy to answer in this thread!

As more ppl start getting diagnosed in the next couple of weeks there will probably be a weekly/monthly GD support thread on the forum. Since I don’t have it this time I think it may be inappropriate for me to start it (I was very sensitive last time to anyone without GD giving any opinion like HOW DARE YOU), but if it would be helpful for me to do so as a “GD veteran” I’m happy to kick off the thread. 
  • @Avrilmai yep. That’s it. Way down deep where ice and heat don’t help. 
  • cato99 said:
    @Lotus_2008 I didn’t have a traditional baby shower with DD but some friends threw a swanky little cocktail party in honor of us and the upcoming baby, and as a thank you I picked up the bill for a fancy dinner we went to later. 

@drewsdarlin I’m sorry to hear about your GD diagnosis. I was spared for this pregnancy but I had it last time and was OBSESSIVE about it so if you have any questions I’m happy to answer in this thread!

As more ppl start getting diagnosed in the next couple of weeks there will probably be a weekly/monthly GD support thread on the forum. Since I don’t have it this time I think it may be inappropriate for me to start it (I was very sensitive last time to anyone without GD giving any opinion like HOW DARE YOU), but if it would be helpful for me to do so as a “GD veteran” I’m happy to kick off the thread. 
    Thank you. I am having hard time getting my sugars down . any idea on things to eat for meals and drinks?
  • @drewsdarlin - How did you receive your diagnosis? Did your practice send you to a class or anything? I had to attend a class that was at least 3 hours last time to give me specifics on exactly how many carbs I PERSONALLY should have based on on my weight and size and then we learned how to maintain good numbers.  I don't know if I could have done it without that class, which was held at our local hospital. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @drewsdarlin I'm a FTM, so no personal experience; I actually have my test this week, but to echo what @peachy0709 mentioned, my hospital will refer you to a dietitian to discuss how to meal plan/what to eat/etc. since it can be very individualized. Maybe talk with you OB about resources that are available. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• cato99cato99 member
    @drewsdarlin I was just going to say what @peachy0709 mentioned, that ideally your doctor set you up with a class and a dietician appointment! That is a huge resource! In my case they didn't really tailor my carb level personally, but rather they have specific standards across the whole practice (under 90 for fasting, under 130 one hour post meals; three meals a day and two snacks, all with suggested carb intake levels). They should give you a pamphlet with detailed info on how many carbs each serving of particular foods contains. It feels like a lot of info at first but then you fall into a routine and really get used to it!

If you're looking for random inspiration though, some tips:

-No dairy or fruit for breakfast, at all, because your hormones make you especially sensitive in the morning. I was really bummed to give up my morning cow-milk lattes. I used coconut milk instead (almond milk also works, I just don't like it). Other than that, I never drank anything other than water. I had LaCroix when I wanted a treat, which has zero carbs. My breakfasts were normally coconut milk latte, a slice or two of double fiber whole wheat toast (anything over 4ish grams of fiber in a serving gets subtracted from the carb count, so if you're going to try to eat any bread make sure it's super high in fiber), and then either a hardboiled egg or two chopped on it, or a couple of TBs of peanut butter. I don't like breakfast meats but a lot of people with GD have that too. 

-Pro-tip if you drink like 24 oz of water during a meal and then chug 24-48 oz immediately after while you're waiting to take your post-meal reading, it will REALLY help lower your numbers because the water will help flush out the extra glucose. You will feel like you're about to float away like a balloon with all the water, but it's worth it. 

-I'd make big batches of carb-friendly stuff and combine them for meals: e.g., hardboiled eggs, taco meat, roasted cauliflower or broccoli, farro (that was the carb that worked best for me: no pasta or rice), lots of different nice cheeses, and always big bags of baby kale. I'd make quesadillas with whole wheat or low carb tortillas, or "bowls" with 1/4-1/2 c of the farro, or just veggies with melted cheese on top as a no-carb snack. 

-Since between pregnancy and GD my diet was really restricted, I treated myself once a week to a nice steak dinner with GD friendly sides. And once a week a roasted chicken dinner. 

-I snacked on A LOT of almonds. Almonds all day long. The crunch is satisfying, and they're fatty so they're really filling. Unless you have another reason for a low calorie diet, you don't really have to worry about fat content with GD because fat and proteins help to counteract the carb loads, so I was like TREAT YOURSELF and ate all sorts of full fat things like cheeses and Greek yogurt and nuts. 

-For a sweet snack/treat, these Kashi chocolate-coconut bars were my go-to. They served them at my GD training class so they were very much doctor approved!

I'm not a reddit person at all but in Googling random stuff I found that the gestational diabetes subreddit was a great place to lurk for tips and support. 
  • aecmaecm member
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 @Avrilmai - sounds like you guys are having SI (sacroiliac) joint pain. I ended up needing my left SI joint fused before I ever got pregnant, so thankfully I now have three titanium rods preventing it from getting loose when I am pregnant...but I’m quite familiar with that pain too and it’s not at all fun. If you haven’t already, maybe give some prenatal yoga classes a try. Also - rolling your hip over a tennis ball against the wall can “hurt so good” and if your IT band down the side of your leg starts to ache, try using a foam roller to relax the muscle. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • hemlheml member
    @mrosek91 I think a weekly appointment thread makes sense! 
  • anyone "nesting" by writing out a list of shows to watch while on leave? if so, what are they? I dont have real TV, but do have amazon, hulu, and netflix. Currently have HBO but might cancel that before the baby is born.

• aukeevaukeev member
    @sourlemon I haven't made a list, but I've definitely thought about it and plan to stalk that thread @mrosek91 referred to!
  • cato99cato99 member
    @sourlemon ooooh I can't quite remember the title of the thread but we did a streaming show suggestion thread and someone put all the suggestions together into a google doc! Does anyone remember how to access it? I searched and didn't find it, and quickly scanned like 15 pages and didn't come across it but probably missed it.
  • @cato99 i thought we had done something, but search was coming up blank. I assumed I was lurking another board when I saw it. It's probably just hidden somewhere.

• and thanks @mrosek91 for finding it!

• @drewsdarlin - How did you receive your diagnosis? Did your practice send you to a class or anything? I had to attend a class that was at least 3 hours last time to give me specifics on exactly how many carbs I PERSONALLY should have based on on my weight and size and then we learned how to maintain good numbers.  I don't know if I could have done it without that class, which was held at our local hospital. 
    No ob just sent me to a endo doctor but she didn't really tell me foods and things. just what carbs for each meal and snacks and to check blood sugar and ketones each day.
  • Avrilmai said:
    @drewsdarlin I'm a FTM, so no personal experience; I actually have my test this week, but to echo what @peachy0709 mentioned, my hospital will refer you to a dietitian to discuss how to meal plan/what to eat/etc. since it can be very individualized. Maybe talk with you OB about resources that are available. 
    They don't send you to dietitian here. just endo doctor to deal with this. 
  • cato99 said:
    @drewsdarlin I was just going to say what @peachy0709 mentioned, that ideally your doctor set you up with a class and a dietician appointment! That is a huge resource! In my case they didn't really tailor my carb level personally, but rather they have specific standards across the whole practice (under 90 for fasting, under 130 one hour post meals; three meals a day and two snacks, all with suggested carb intake levels). They should give you a pamphlet with detailed info on how many carbs each serving of particular foods contains. It feels like a lot of info at first but then you fall into a routine and really get used to it!

If you're looking for random inspiration though, some tips:

-No dairy or fruit for breakfast, at all, because your hormones make you especially sensitive in the morning. I was really bummed to give up my morning cow-milk lattes. I used coconut milk instead (almond milk also works, I just don't like it). Other than that, I never drank anything other than water. I had LaCroix when I wanted a treat, which has zero carbs. My breakfasts were normally coconut milk latte, a slice or two of double fiber whole wheat toast (anything over 4ish grams of fiber in a serving gets subtracted from the carb count, so if you're going to try to eat any bread make sure it's super high in fiber), and then either a hardboiled egg or two chopped on it, or a couple of TBs of peanut butter. I don't like breakfast meats but a lot of people with GD have that too. 

-Pro-tip if you drink like 24 oz of water during a meal and then chug 24-48 oz immediately after while you're waiting to take your post-meal reading, it will REALLY help lower your numbers because the water will help flush out the extra glucose. You will feel like you're about to float away like a balloon with all the water, but it's worth it. 

-I'd make big batches of carb-friendly stuff and combine them for meals: e.g., hardboiled eggs, taco meat, roasted cauliflower or broccoli, farro (that was the carb that worked best for me: no pasta or rice), lots of different nice cheeses, and always big bags of baby kale. I'd make quesadillas with whole wheat or low carb tortillas, or "bowls" with 1/4-1/2 c of the farro, or just veggies with melted cheese on top as a no-carb snack. 

-Since between pregnancy and GD my diet was really restricted, I treated myself once a week to a nice steak dinner with GD friendly sides. And once a week a roasted chicken dinner. 

-I snacked on A LOT of almonds. Almonds all day long. The crunch is satisfying, and they're fatty so they're really filling. Unless you have another reason for a low calorie diet, you don't really have to worry about fat content with GD because fat and proteins help to counteract the carb loads, so I was like TREAT YOURSELF and ate all sorts of full fat things like cheeses and Greek yogurt and nuts. 

-For a sweet snack/treat, these Kashi chocolate-coconut bars were my go-to. They served them at my GD training class so they were very much doctor approved!

I'm not a reddit person at all but in Googling random stuff I found that the gestational diabetes subreddit was a great place to lurk for tips and support. 
    Thank you. I can't drink that much water. plain water makes me sick at times. 
  • @cato99 Thank you for the suggestions for a GD diet! I've been on the GD diet now for a week, so your suggestions will help a lot!
  • @cato99 Thank you for the suggestions for a GD diet! I've been on the GD diet now for a week, so your suggestions will help a lot!
    I started last week on the diet too. and checking sugar and ketones each day.
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @drewsdarlin I don't have a GD diagnosis (my test isn't until next Thursday), but on the plain water issue - could you try adding a few slices of lemon and/or some berries to water? I found myself getting tired of plain water trying to drink a gallon a day, but adding some citrus fruit or berries (low sugar fruits) to it in the afternoon made it more enjoyable. 
  • oklahomak said:
    @drewsdarlin I don't have a GD diagnosis (my test isn't until next Thursday), but on the plain water issue - could you try adding a few slices of lemon and/or some berries to water? I found myself getting tired of plain water trying to drink a gallon a day, but adding some citrus fruit or berries (low sugar fruits) to it in the afternoon made it more enjoyable. 
    Thanks. I will try that. 
  • I also technically have GD but I’m kind of an anomaly and haven’t had to change my diet at all. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*