August 2019 Moms

Re: UO 5/23

• @heml I'm ok with phones during concerts unless someone is recording the whole damn show.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate weddings.
  • It's actively snowing where I am. I'm so sick of the snow and being cold, and I typically prefer cold weather to hot. I'm ready for stretchy, comfy spring dresses instead of my winter clothes that barely fit anymore.
  • I know I'm gonna be eating my words soon, but ... I LOVE hot weather and I'm not that upset about the heat wave headed our way (105+ from tomorrow through the next 10 days). I feel like during these times, the bugs CTFO and it is not-at-all-strange that I drink frozen beverages all day or go through a few boxes of my favorite Fit & Active popsicles. For some reason, heat makes me reconsider the foods and drinks I put into my body so I know I won't be slipping on my nutrition (i.e. 50-cent corn dogs from Sonic).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• I have no problem being friends with my husbands ex gf. We live in a small town where he grew up and when DD started kindergarten this year we discovered that her DD is in the same class. Well the girls have become good friends and while mom and I probably wont be bffs I have no problem calling her up for play dates.or chatting at school functions. DH thinks it is weird but our kids are friends and she is nice so I have no issue with the fact that they dated years ago.

I don't like summer much at all. I hate the heat and humidity. We are a family who thrives on routine and that all goes out the window for 3 months. I actually don't like that it is still light out at almost 10 in the summer. Theres bugs...and birds. We live in a lakeshore tourist town so everything gets crowded and no one knows how to drive. Our yard is a ton of work so it feels like all of our spare time during the warm months goes towards maintaining the yard. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @Allycat11 - I'm the same about exes, it doesn't bother me. Now, I won't go and seek them out, but if our kids happen to be friends or whatever, I don't think twice. Granted, all of his are 1,000+ mi away. But I also feel the same way about my exes. Only one of mine still lives in town (medium-sized) and I gave DH a hard time about being a little weird about it when we did run into him the one or two times we have in 10+ years. Oh - and we live in a town that is at the intersection of two major highways and the main thoroughfare for a major tourist destination ... summer traffic makes me wanna go postal. I can't imagine BEING the destination :# 
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @mrosek91 - Well this specific ex of mine, we dated 2 years and lived together for most of that. But it was 15 years ago and I have a hard-and-fast rule of once I'm done with a relationship, I'm done, so it's not like there is any "danger" of a rekindling. I just found it funny/odd and gave DH crap about it (that's the kind of love we like to show each other :D ).
    **History in Spoiler**

• I am glad I am not the only one that thinks it is totally fine. One of my exes lives about 2 miles from here and over the past couple years our social circles have gotten much closer. It is only a matter of time before we end up at social events together. That was a really messy breakup and pretty toxic relationship so I am dreading the day we end up face to face again. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Monica and Joey should've ended up together.

I don't get the obsession with dogs. Cats are way more interesting.

Also, I love rain and gloomy weather. Give me all of it. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• jrm_14jrm_14 member
    I don’t care for feeling baby kicking and moving. 😬 Maybe that’s a FFFC... 
  • @dogmomma096 agreed that Joey and Rachel were a better fit. Side note, I was never a fan of Ross in general. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @oklahomak, I totally don’t think that is/should be an unpopular opinion. Plastic is terrible for our planet and should be completely banned in every regard. Straws are the worst and so unnecessary. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• aukeevaukeev member
    @AKuzReve I'm glad other people think so, too! DH's parents think any environmentally-friendly issue is an attack on their personal liberties. His mom quit going to Starbucks after they announced their initiative to reduce straw use *facepalm*.
  • I agree @oklahomak! Was I a little irritated with the straw ban? Sure, but ... I went and bought several metal sets from Amazon and have stashes everywhere, just in case. I don't mind it in the slightest. I would really like it if the restaurants near the beach around here would get rid of their plastic cups, though I do kind of understand why they have to do it (glass is an even bigger hazard). Even in the random non-Aldi trip, I always keep bags in my car so that I don't have to use plastic - but if I do, I recycle them (there are places here, locally) within the week. We only a decade countdown, folks, every little bit helps!!
    **History in Spoiler**

• jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited May 2019
    @oklahomak I agree with the plastic bags & cups. However, how is increasing paper bag usage helpful for cutting down trees?  
    @akuzreve There ARE reasons for needing straws, such as certain healthcare/ability needs that may struggle to drink from a glass, or lifting certain glasses restaurants may utilize. Yes, you can take your own metal straw. What if the caregiver forgets or something happens to it?  Having a backup plan is nice 
  • aukeevaukeev member
    edited May 2019
    @MamaK225 Same! There are great reusable straws on the market that are super affordable.

@jrm_14 No, I definitely agree that we don't need more paper bags, either. I guess my mind always goes to reusable bags. We keep a stash of large reusable bags in the car and I picked up a set of mesh produce bags for $5 that make grocery shopping a breeze. 
    ETA: Bonus on the reusable bags - they hold so much more, which means a smaller chance of a bag tearing and fewer trips back and forth from the car!

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) restaurants still have straws available, but it may just be as simple as waiting to provide them until someone asks for one. That's Starbucks' policy, as well (at least around here!). My grandmother had a severe stroke several years ago and she is one of the individuals who requires a straw. We've never had a problem finding one if we asked, though. 
  • @jrm_14, no one needs a plastic straw. paper, metal, any other reusable/biodegradable straw is an option. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @jrm_14 - I work for a massive packaging company who produces and recycles all mediums (except glass): from virgin timber to recycled PET containers. While we don't have much activity re: grocery bags, I can say with some confidence that a majority of the paper bags you see in grocery stores are made mostly from recycled paper and only enough virgin product goes into the brown paper production to stabilize and strengthen it (it's stronger and has better ink retention). In truth, certified virgin timber is actually "cleaner" than using recycled because it relies very little on fossil fuels to generate the final product, plus with any increase in timber equals increases in planting and forest management (which we also do). That being said, I still prefer to bring my own reusable bags everywhere :) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• My mom was so annoyed when McDonald's stopped having styrofoam. I told her just to buy her own insulated cup if it was really that big of a deal. I try to bring my own reusables with me most places. I make my own reusables shopping bags and my own reusable produce bags, or I just don't use a produce bag. I have the hardest time finding hair products without plastic. I've tried several different shampoo bars and they all give my scalp issues. I think it might be the coconut oil but I'm not sure. And I've just in general got really sensitive skin. So that's an issue. Also I have no idea if I can recycle prescription bottles and lids
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @Beauxbaton I hope prescription bottles are recyclable, because I definitely toss mine in our recycling every month...
  • My county banned plastic bags quite a while ago. Its really not that big of a deal. Actually kind of nice to not have a ton of bags hanging around and we don't see them all over the highways anymore.  I use reusuable bags and if I forget them, I "punish" myself by buying another one so I'll remember next time. They hold more and have less chance of tearing suddenly.  People bitched and whined about it for ages but they settled into a routine now.  the straw thing is okay except for when it affects disabled people. We (generall we) got so spoiled with our one time use items in life. Its good to not have the ones that last for centuries and see businesses use biodegradable choices. 

• @oklahomak I mostly wonder about the lids. Like, soda bottle lids and water bottle lids you aren't supposed to put in with single stream recycling. Or at least you weren't supposed when we first started recycling. I have just been keeping them. Sometimes they come in handy. But I've got 3 prescriptions and H has 2. So we have a ton lol.
  • My city just announced that they are stopping curb side recycling. We can bring certain things to a facility that they are opening, but its quite a ways out of town so I dont see that happening for most people. FFFC: I will not be one of those people who drives my recycling 15 minutes out of town...everything will be going in the trash. I'm not happy about it, but yeah...practicality will win on this one.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• aukeevaukeev member
    @sourlemon That is so odd! I feel like we're hearing about more cities implementing curbside recycling lately. How unfortunate :( 
  • I've heard of more cities cutting them back because China isnt buying our crap any more. Ours was cut down drastically about a year ago to only corrugated cardboard and a few types of plastics. And the city is still losing money, so they are cutting it completely (and raising our rates for trash to make up for the loss, yay). 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• If our city stops doing curbside recycling I'll set up somewhere in our garage to sort it and then take to the place down town that recycles once a month. But we have a big garage so we have the space. Or I could just take it to Target I guess.
  • @Beauxbaton What specific scalp issue are you having with shampoo bars? I’m wondering if it was the same as me because an apple cider vinegar rinse fixed it. Build up and itch. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @suzycupcake they all gave me a rash that felt similar to a sunburn plus a pins and needles feeling when touched. At one point I could barely brush my hair. I've thought about trying an ACV rinse. Right now I'm going back to my normal shampoo and conditioner and once my scalp feels normal again I'll retry the shampoo bars and if I get the same rash I'll try an ACV rinse. I really want them to work damn it! Lol
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited May 2019
    Interesting. That doesn’t sound like an ACV fix to me. I wonder if you’re allergic to an ingredient. You’re sure the shampoo bars you’re trying are free of chemicals? What happens when you drink coconut water? Is coconut the common denominator with all of the bars? 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• The town where I live banned plastic checkout bags last year, and honestly I haven't missed them. We had a stash of reusables in the trunk of the car anyway, and if we have a big enough shopping trip that those don't cover it, we use the paper bags at the store (which then get used for putting recycling in until we're ready to take the whole bag out to the big recycling bin for our townhouse complex). The only inconvenience I can think of is that we used to use the plastic grocery bags for dog poop bags, but now we just buy the ones made specifically for that purpose. No biggie.

As for straws, I keep meaning to buy a set of reusables, but it always slips my mind because I just don't use straws that often. Some of my friends have and really like these, so that's probably what I'll go with. Then I just have to figure out how to carry one around with me in case I need it.
  • BeauxbatonBeauxbaton member
    edited May 2019
    @suzycupcake I don't drink coconut water. But when I eat coconut I'm fine. I've used a bar from lush, three different bars from Ethique, and one bar from j.r. Liggetts. They all have coconut oil in them and that's basically the only common denominator. If it's the coconut oil then my assumption is that it's clogging my pores (follicles?) Or something.

ETA: I've also used another shampoo and conditioner set that came in a bottle that had coconut oil in it and I also had problems with it. It could just be that my.skin is super sensitive or maybe it's something to do with my medication or with my Sjögrens. Idk. I'm gonna keep experimenting.
  • @Beauxbaton Maybe it's Sjögrens, but it seems strange if it only happens after shampoo bar use. Maybe your scalp is sensitive to the coconut oil. I use Liggetts myself. The pins and needles, and burning seems like a more than a ACV fix reaction to me, but you could try it and see what happens. Dunno though, it might not be worth going through it again. I always have scalp paresthesia with MS so it would feel normal to me lol I hope you find a great non-toxic bar with no coconut oil. There has to be another oil that lathers up nicely. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• RE: plastic bags

I live in an uber conservative state, so we will likely be the last to ban plastic bags (or legalize marijuana for that matter) although a “straw” ban is gaining some traction along the coast. 

I take my reusable bags for our main grocery trips, but we still end up with tons of disposable plastic bags. We use them to line small trash cans, like in the bathrooms. My 13 YO asked a few months ago why they don’t make baby trash bags for the small trash cans... because all we’ve ever used is Walmart type bags 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️.
  • @suzycupcake i also thought about going to the dermatologist because in general I have a hard time with my skin. Especially since developing Sjögrens. But it feels pointless to do anything during pregnancy.