August 2019 Moms

Braxton Hicks

Let’s talk about them. Are you feeling them yet? Since when and for how long? What do they feel like? 

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Braxton Hicks

• Good idea!  I've seen BH questions and comments all over the place - it will be nice to have them all in one spot :)

With DS I don't remember having them till the last few weeks and only if I walked up a hill too fast,  etc. It just felt like my ute was squeezing itself and getting hard.  Sometimes it was hard to tell if it was a BH or if DS was just pushing outward.

This pregnancy I'm getting tight ute all.the.time. since before 20 weeks :/ my midwife comments on how hard my ute is every time she touches my belly.  If I stand too long,  walk too fast,  etc it goes tight,  etc. It's usually the top half,  which is where little girl is hanging out. I get them a lot in the afternoons,  especially at the end of the work week. 

They're not painful (usually...Friday afternoons are sometimes wince-inducing) but definitely uncomfortable.  Not timed or predictable though,  so I'm not nervous about it. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• This video explains a lot about how contractions work towards dilating and effacing the cervix in true labor vs BH practice contractions

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=2ahUKEwjvy-CivaTiAhWryqYKHUTiD6gQwqsBMAF6BAgGEAo&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Also you can find charts like this all over the Internet

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, for a few weeks now, especially when very active. 

My stomach just gets tight and uncomfortable and then goes away. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• sw1122sw1122 member
    I started getting them around 23 weeks, I think. Like @BigBadWolf12 - I feel like I’m getting them all the time. Most frequently when I’m running, but I feel tightness when I’m in bed and flip from one side to the other, when I stand up, when I’m walking. I was really freaked out by the frequency at first, but my doctor isn’t concerned as long as I’m staying hydrated. I do wish they’d go away though - they’re annoying and uncomfortable 
  • I got 2 particularly distinct ones on a plane this week. Belly just got rock hard for a few mins. 
  • On May 16 I ended up in L&D for 5 hours with what they think were Braxton hicks.  I'm not sure if they were - I never felt a contraction with my first, she was breech. 
     I just sat down really hard on my butt on Wednesday that week and noticed pretty much right away pain in my stomach. it got worse throughout the night where the husband couldn't touch me.  I called the dr in the morning after I had some spotting when I woke up and they had me go to L&D to be monitored.  They said I was likely just dehydrated and having Braxton hicks because the labs/ultrasounds/monitors did not show any labor activity (thankfully).  It was freaking scary though. 

It was weird to me - I thought BH would be on and off, this was constant, just worse when I would walk around. And my belly didn't really get tight too much, sometimes it did but not really. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• @moon1417 How scary! After what I believe were true BH two weeks ago and some back BH (I think that’s what it was) last I’ve read a lot on the topic and that sounds like actual labor, so I’m glad you were able to get evaluated and cleared. Hopefully we can all bake these babies just a little bit longer!!
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    I started getting them a few weeks ago. Very mild. But they’ve increased in frequency and I definitely feel like I have rocks in there until it passes. Moving around or changing positions usually makes it stop. 
  • Mine started at 20 weeks I think it was. At first, they felt like mild squeezing at the very bottom of my belly like you get with your period but then that discomfort would go into my upper thighs just like when you get cramps, if that makes sense. It would get better if my position was changed. Lately, they have been the same feelings, but they don't seem to change with position as much. I usually have to get in the bath tub, pound a bunch more water, and lay on my side until they pass. There have been a couple of times where some tightness and rock hardness is noticed. I'm not sure if all of the above is BH or what. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Mine started around 20 weeks this time and just keep becoming more frequent. They feel like a tightening, belly feels rock solid and range from no pain to moderate pain. I had none with DD, with DS they started early 3rd tri, this time they started very early. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• emqbeeemqbee member
    I know we’re not *supposed* to compare our pregnancy to other women’s pregnancies, ie fetal movement, bump size, bh etc., but it is reassuring when there are some similarities, especially for this first timer
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    I honestly don't know if I've ever experienced them. This is my second pregnancy and even though I've read about them and asked other people, I still don't know!
  • I get them all the time... more so if I'm being active. Sometimes is just a tightening feeling, sometimes its quite uncomfortable... for me they are always in the front. my MW did say that the more term pregnancies you've had the earlier they tend to start and the more frequent you tend to have them.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Mine started this week and it took me awhile to figure out what it was even though I have had it with my first. It's too mild that I don't notice all the time. I believe I get BH may be once or twice every day unless I am confusing baby's movements with BH.
  • I had BH early in the second trimester, but haven't had them since.  They were kind of painful and only in the front.  I think I wasn't drinking enough water.
  • Mine were so painful yesterday but I completely overdid it. I really need to take it slow and stop doing so much. I was a bit worried they had turned into true contractions and not just BH but resting cured it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @moon1417 that's so scary! Sorry I'm several days behind here...but I'm so glad everything turned out ok!

I've gone from bed rest for almost 5 months, to walking 2km for work every day. I guess I pushed it too hard on Thursday cuz I was having quite a bit of pain. I had to stop and rest for several minutes on my walk back to my car. My belly got firm and it was...aching/pulling almost cramp like pain. Stuck around on and off through the evening. Especially when I tried to move. I actually couldn't get up off the couch at one point, and had to roll off on to my knees on the floor, and get DH to help me stand.
    I paid for parking at a close lot on Friday, to give my body a bit of a rest haha