August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 5/19

What questions on s do you have this week?

Re: Weekly Questions 5/19

• Jumping right in to the personal details here. So I know during orgasm it's normal for your uterus to contract and become hard. But it freaks me out every time -- it seriously gets rock solid!! My question is if anyone's doctor has told you to avoid orgasm, and if so, why and what are your circumstances? I plan to bring this up at my next appointment but it's not until the end of the month. 
  • @law_and_little1 no personal experience,  but I know "pelvic rest" is not uncommon if there had been spotting/bleeding and/or short/irritated cervix, etc.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Loading the player...
  • @law_and_little1 it really is totally normal and not a concern unless there are other issues at hand. Out of all 3 kiddos I have only needed to avoid for a short time while I had a subchorionic hematoma and had some very heavy bleeding. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Anyone dealt with anemia during oregnancy? My OBs office just sent me my blood work results from my GD screen in the mail. I passed that but it said I have low grade anemia and need to start an iron supplement. Since they couldn’t even bother to call me on it I’m assuming it’s not a huge deal but just wondering if anyone has had this?
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @olivemomma 🙋🏻‍♀️ I’m borderline anemic when not pregnant and I’m currently taking an extra iron supplement. My doctor has me take it right before bed, no food, and with vitamin C (I guess for better absorption). It’s not a big deal, but if you are already prone to constipation it will make it worse. 
  • @olivemomma I'm not actually anemic but I am taking an iron supplement because my blood work (tons of it) showed a very odd inability for my body to store iron.  Its normal now that I am taking the supplement. It was rough in the beginning with a bit of vomit but its just another pill now. 
  • @olivemomma I take 100mg pills each day, same as @thirdtimesacharm2019 - with vitamin c and water,  nothing else,  right before bed.  I started taking 3 a week (iron was around 105 at that time) and then upped it to every day and it was 117 at my last appointment,  so I don't have to up the dose any more at this point.  Last pregnancy I think I was up to 2 pills a day by the end but I can't remember. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• hemlheml member
    @olivemomma Another non-pregnant anemic. I take iron at night with Orange juice a couple of times a week. Taking iron makes constipation way worse, so I’m not a doctor, but I would personally recommend starting out not taking it every night and seeing if you can find a healthy balance of good RBC count and not too terrible constipation 
  • Thank you, ladies! My doctor did recommend a dosage and brand (Slow Fe) but didn’t say anything about time of day, vitamin C, etc.? I will have to ask at my apt this week. Luckily constipation has never been an issue for me so hopefully I don’t start to experience it now. 

Ahh I was just reading the box she recommended and it says it has a gradual and slow release for fewer GI side effects - after reading your responses this now makes sense.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • cato99cato99 member
    @olivemomma yeah just like everyone else said, it's super normal and as far as I know way more common to be anemic than not at this stage of pregnancy. I also got prescribed Slow Fe last week when my lab results came back but haven't picked up or started it yet. My OB said that if constipation issues arise to take benefiber and/or colace. Last time I took Floradix, which is a liquid vegetable-based iron source and also is supposed to be gentle on the stomach. 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    @lilmamabebe3 I discussed it with my OB during my last pregnancy and was told that it is completely normal and not cause for concern.  
  • @olivemomma no one told me when our how to take it (they maybe suggested night so you could sleep through any immediate side effects like nausea or upset tummy?) But I found out calcium blocks iron absorption and vitamin c enables iron absorption,  so I decided on my own to take it with vit c and nothing else. Hope your ob has some good advice on how to introduce it gently :)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• emqbeeemqbee member
    edited May 2019
    Anyone notice quieter days on the movement front? Yesterday she was having a dance party from the time I got to work til I broke for lunch. And then partying again when I got settled at home for the night til I fell asleep. Then today it’s like she’s tuckered from dancing and it’s just a few squirms here and there and a little jab behind a rib. If only she knew the anxiety that the quiet days caused....
  • Another thing to note with the iron supplementing - if you are popping tums for the heartburn, you need to time your prenatal, your tums, AND your iron. That nearly killed me last time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @peachy0709 Does tums interfere with vitamins? I’m back to the heartburn party. 
  • @thirdtimesacharm2019 - Calcium blocks absorption of iron, so you just want to be mindful.  I think that's the only vitamin they effect. And I feel you on the heartburn.  Mine is so bad that now when I put my hand to my chest, my 2-year-old immediately says "mama hot-burn" 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @emqbee yes,  some crazy days and some quiet days.  Apparently they go through growth spurts and sleep a lot during those times and then other times of more activity.  Totally normal but definitely nerve wracking. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• emqbeeemqbee member
    @BigBadWolf12 she can sleep all she wants if it’s for a growth spurt. That is a huge comfort right there. Pretty sure I’ve acquired a few gray hairs...oh the beginning of many more I’m sure!
  • @emqbee
    FWIW My midwife only ever asks if I feel the baby daily,  so I think that's the bare minimum. If you go a full day without feeling baby then it might be worth checking out. You can also try cold sugary drink,  flashlight on the belly, or other tricks for getting baby to wiggle. I've done that once so far this pregnancy and several times with ds. No harm. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• emqbeeemqbee member
    @BigBadWolf12 fortunately I’ve never gone without any movement for more than a few hours. Even when she’s quiet, I get the occasional little poke. Just enough to make me not worry. It’s funny, right after I posted that and got settled back to work she got busy for a little while...she must have heard me tell my husband it eases my nerves to feel her movement. 
  • I occasionally get this sharp pain on my right side. It doesn't last very long, and it doesn't happen every day. I think I notice it most often when I need to pee. It doesn't feel like a kick, but maybe it's just from baby pushing on organs? Anyone feel anything similar?
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    @dogmomma096 I’ve noticed some sharp-ish pains when I pee but only when I know I’m really full and probably shouldn’t have waited so long....not sure if that’s what you mean
  • @dogmomma096 I get random sharp pains on either side of my belly. I just kind of assume it's something pulling or Braxton Hicks. 
  • cato99cato99 member
    @dogmomma096 I get intense sharp pain on my right side, kind of feels like a “stitch” when you run too fast. I’m 90% sure it’s ligament pain. Exercise and needing to pee make it worse. If that’s what it is, make sure you’re supported in your belly (like with a belt). For me it was really severe a week or two ago and then it got a lot better, so I don’t know if my ligaments adjusted to a growth spurt, or gave up and shriveled and died? 
  • @emqbee @Beauxbaton @cato99 Thanks ladies! I wasn't too worried about it since it wasn't anything severe and I know random aches and pains are supposed to be normal. I don't currently have a belly belt, but should probably invest in one...
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    We’ve probably touched on this before, but is everyone else insanely thirsty all the time? If I go an hour without drinking my mouth feels so dry. I wondered if it was a possible GD indication but I’ve passed that test. 
  • I am having the sharp right pain but while sleeping. What is it?! It’s so painful and feels different than his usual burrowing under my ribs plus his kicks are lower down right now. The rib pain hurts so much and comes and goes. It’s woken me up 2 times already tonight (once at 2:30 then at 4:15). I have a high pain tolerance usually and this is making me want to cry. It feels like someone is stepping on and squeezing my right ribs at the same time. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @emqbee yep, thirsty nonstop and I remember that from previous pregnancies. Thankfully I am the type to always carry a water bottle anyway. It just unfortunately does not help the need to pee all the time. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @AKuzReve @dogmomma096 I don't want to stoke any fears, but definitely talk with your doc/midwife about any upper right side abdomen pain. it could be an indication of something else, like pre-eclampsia. It is always better to mention it to the professional and it be nothing then to go with something that could potentially be more

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Super random, but technically a question: For STM+, how did you solve the whole 3rd Tri swelling issue if in a desk-job sort of scenario? I'm not swelling yet, but I know it's coming (thank you, hot/humid weather!).

Question: was there a stool-like product you used or could recommend? I hate to have a random box or something and wouldn't mind something that can either fit under my desk or what have you. I do have a standing desk and use it often ... and make it a point to try and be active as much as possible. But as back pain becomes regular and/or there are periods where I can't move around as often as I like - I'd like to have a good option.

TIA.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @emqbee +1 to excessive thirst. If I’m not drinking sips of water all day, it feels like my throat is swallowing itself. 

Can any any ladies recommend some leggings? I need 100% cotton, if possible. The last pair I purchased (don’t judge) was in 2011 from American Apparel and I’m still wearing them though they’ve become a bit see through from age and washing. Plus, they don’t bother my bump at all. I freaking love these things! If anyone knows leggings and knows those kind, I’d appreciate the referrals to any others that might do the same thing and feel like the same material. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @MamaK225 I think you can only curb swelling so much if you are prone to it. Stay hydrated, elevate your feet whenever possible, limit sodium, and compression socks are probably the biggies.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • The problem is that I don't know if I'll even swell this time around or if I'm truly prone to it. Again, I live in the really crappy place for summer pregnancy and with DD1 (born July 1), there was NO A/C in my building for 3 weeks prior to my delivery and my office was within 300 feet of a paper mill (see: added humidity and heat) ... I'm 99% sure it was the reason for any/all swelling I had and why I had blood pressure issues at the end. I'm now in a completely different building (and new boss), so I'm not as concerned ... just trying to think ahead, in case I start to notice some swelling and can buy some things to ease it.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @MamaK225 I prop my feet up on my computer box under my desk and sometimes at lunch I close my door and put them up on my desk. I think last time I used a paper box.  Doesn’t really help though. I took my shoes off when I got in the car yesterday and they were sporting a nice sandal imprint. Almost an hour commute and the imprint was still there. Elevated once I got home and they finally came down enough I could cook dinner (almost another hour). What I’m finding this go-round is I’m also retaining fluid in my knees. Joy. And the compression socks just make me hot and they are super hard to get on. 
  • When we travelled around the holidays last year in early pregnancy, I needed compression socks badly. These were recommended to me and are true graduation socks. They are really cute and have calf size measurements. Not expensive either. There is a 40% off code today. Anyway, if anyone wants to look into them https://crazycompression.com/pages/about-us
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @MamaK225 I have "nursing stool" I use when I want my feet a little propped up, but not fully elevated. It's just a tiny thing, and one end is higher than the other, which is also supposed to help with blood flow. The one I have is a hand-me-down from my mom, and therefore probably older than I am. But it looks similar to this one (except it's not adjustable) -https://www.amazon.com/My-Brest-Friend-Nursing-Adjustable/dp/B003OZ3BPE/.
  • @MamaK225 this is expensive but may be worth it since you also have a standing desk. I use it while sitting and standing to keep my lower legs moving around.

Last pregnancy, I just had a printer paper box under my desk to put my feet up (i didnt have a standing desk then).

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Does anyone else's tailbone hurt here and there? Apparently I have a lot of questions this week. Halp! 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• emqbeeemqbee member
    @suzycupcake yes!!! Mine has actually hurt quite a bit. Sitting at work for a while and then standing up is agony on my tail bone