August 2019 Moms

GTKY: Phobias

we all have them, silly things you know you shouldn’t be afraid of yet they still give you the heeby jeebies!

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: Phobias

• I have 2:

1. Murky or deep water - basically I don’t like not knowing what’s around or underneath me. Funny enough I scuba dive and feel much more comfortable down in the water than on top of it. It was a major hurdle for me though to get there!

2. Michael Meyers - you know from the creepy halloween movies. I saw that movie way to young as a kid and developed an irritationql fear. I still have nightmares about him as an adult!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @olivemomma I will second murky and/or deep water! 

Also:
    Beetles/roaches of any kind. Not sure why because spiders and snakes don't bother me at all, but those crunchy little freaks make my skin crawl. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not scared of heights in the traditional sense, but I have a very hard time walking on things that you can see through. So like those fiberglass floors, or vents/lattice work.
    Also, I don't know if this is a phobia, but I don't do mold. I know it can't move or do anything to me, but I will not go near it.
  • @peachy0709 - You must have a hard time living where you do then (if I remember right, SE U.S.)! I swear the Palmetto bugs (fancy local term for "big ass roach that also flies" :| ) around here just open doors if they want to come in - though they really don't *like* being inside.

I'm somewhere between claustrophobia and people-averse. Flying doesn't bother me in the traditional sense (I'm not afraid of the plane falling/crashing, statistics are on my side), I just can't STAND sitting next to someone whose social acumen may not be up to snuff: i.e. keep your arm on your side, polite conversation is ok if we're both receptive, personal hygiene attended to, etc. And not only that, but I am forced to endure it. I know it's my Impulsivity on overdrive (thanks ADHD!), but it causes me so much unnecessary stress.

I also have a weird thing with spiderwebs (like the big ones that go across bike or hiking paths), centipedes (OMG), and anything under my nails (dirt, sand, or skin cells - I refuse to scratch DH's back directly).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Heights, pretty standard and probably why I ride a short horse lol.  As a child I was absolutely terrified of vacuums.  My sister would chase me with it and try to suck up my toes.  Still not really a fan but I can handle it. 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    I have a giant aversion to cotton balls & loose hair. When Inwas working with a small child in a preschool, I avoided a certain hallway bc the first time I was there, there was art with cotton balls. What if one fell down?  What if there was a loose one?  What if someone tried to tear it apart?  I’m getting nauseated thinking about this. 
    I would rather not wash my hands than wash my hands in a sink there is loose hair. 
  • I have a phobia of patterns. Like eggplant seeds or honeycomb or little bubbles all together. It makes my skin crawl so much. I can’t even talk about it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• I can’t think of any phobias... but hit me up on “what are your OCDs week” so you can see all my crazy come out 😜. 
  • aecmaecm member
    Free falling. I’m ok with heights, and “controlled falling” (like a roller coaster)...but diving boards higher than about a meter are a definite no-go. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @MamaK225 - Its bad here (although my parents are on a lake in the foothills of SC so they seem to not get them), but I pay our exterminators a lot of money to keep them OUT OF MY HOUSE.  That said, when I lived in DC, it was far far far worse because they were AGGRESSIVE. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Needles! I had a lot of surgeries on my feet when I was in elementary school (flat footed to an extreme, had to have total reconstructive surgery on both feet, took several rounds of surgery and physical therapy to correct). My veins roll and collapse, so the nurses always have to prick multiple times for any needle to be useful. I'm sure that's where the fear stemmed from. I do have to say, with this pregnancy, I've gotten exposed to needles more than I have in the last 15 years, so I'm much, much better than I was. Buuuuut if I had the choice, no thank you.
  • oh yes I don't really consider this a fear but more of an involuntary reaction.  I can't look when I get my blood drawn or I will pass out.  I've tried to give blood and passed out because I saw the line full of blood.  I had to keep my eyes closed when I had 2 blood transfusions. HOWEVER, I can draw blood on animals with zero issues.  
  • @MamaK225 You would have hated my old boss. He wasn't the best person anyways, but my colleague went on a trip with him and said he got on the plane and took off his shoes (he had on sandals). And trust me, he is not a person who has "nice" looking feet *blah*

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
  • cato99cato99 member
    Heights! I get dizzy just thinking of it. And not just for me: if someone ELSE is standing too close to a height edge I get all dizzy and nauseated. 

It’s annoying because I like to hike and I know that edge-terror is often irrational. This one time in Hawaii I had a freakout on a hike and was gripping onto a tree for dear life, bawling hysterically with tears and snot all over my face bc I was convinced I was moments away from falling to my death, and this family with like a 10 and an 8 year old strolled by like no big deal LOL. 

@mrosek91 you couldn’t pay me to walk on a fiberglass type “view” floor. 
  • @cato99 heights also make me nervous while hiking... especially when DH is on the edge with one of my kiddos in a backpack carrier - it’s  just better that i not watch
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    +1 to cockroaches. And I’m from the SE so....yeah. It’s a little irrational. My husband has tried to convince me their nbd the whole time we’ve been married to no avail. Give me spiders any day but roaches, I just can’t deal. And we live in the country. I’ve got the heebie jeebies just thinking about them
  • Any water with animals in it (except man made ones like swimming with dolphins).  So basically the only water I’ll go in, is a pool. 

This is is probably more OCD, but leaving things on/plugged in and having my house burn down. 

Driving over heights.  Bridges and mountains freak me out (walking up tall things or flying are fine though)
  • Worms.  I get such heebie jeebies when I see them.

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• @purplg8r - My sister is terrified of bridges, regardless of height :D We took her on the Skyway Bridge once and I swear she passed out. I can't imagine how she'd be going over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway or going down to the Keys.

It's not a fear, per se, but ever since I've had DD1, I get pains/contractions in my uterus whenever I see someone either hurt themselves or about to get hurt. And it doesn't even have to be a child or anyone I know. It's wholly involuntary and really uncomfortable :| 
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• hemlheml member
    Close, tight spaces. Being on a submarine would be my worst nightmare. 

I’m the opposite of you @agpandme, I have to watch them put the needle in when they draw blood. It makes me feel more in control. 
  • Oh sweet Jesus I forgot about bridges. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is one that is particularly stress inducing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Being on a ladder. Stepstools are fine, but generally, I don't do ladders. 
    Also, storm drains and small spaces.
  • @peachy0709@oklahomak, and @emqbee You’re my people. I avoided this thread at first knowing mine would be in here and it’s hard to even think about. It’s a legit phobia. I will not sleep at night. Intrusive thoughts are the worst thing about it imo. 

Plus also, flying but I think that might be because of my fear of heights.  But flying freaks me out the most. Thank God for Bloody Mary’s in the airport. 

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Cheers @suzycupcake. My flying drink of choice is the screwdriver ... or Madras. At least for morning flights ;) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• Spiders top my list, but really any creepy-crawly thing. Like silverfish. Dear lord do I hate silverfish.

Also not a fan of heights.
  • @suzycupcake My fear was manageable until I lived in a place that was infested (and no matter how much we tried, we were in a row house in a major city so we just could never control it).  After that, I've never been the same. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @peachy0709 There were *squirm* flying ones and several infestations as a kid. Not sure if my Moms reaction had anything to do with conditioning me to fear too. 

We've had enough exposure therapy for the day. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• I hate Ferris wheels!!! I don’t like the feeling of being stuck up there and I freak out if I’m on one and someone starts rocking the seat. 

But I’ve been skydiving multiple times and I’m fine with that. 😂
  • Welcome back @cmessamore !

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI