November 2019 Moms
Options

Things People Say to Pregnant Women

Post the funny, the inappropriate, the rude things people say to you!

Re: Things People Say to Pregnant Women

• Options
    Was it planned? The same person has now asked me twice...
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @rawa1416 OMG. So many people have asked me that. What in the world makes people feel like that's an appropriate question to ask??? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So crazy.. I would never ask someone if it was planned or not!
  • Options
    My MIL told my husband ,when we told her we were pregnant with our third, “you know 3rd babies wreck the body”.
    Wow, thanks
  • Options
    @ameliabird811 then I'm completely doomed. This is baby #6. 😂
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 She has 3 boys and I think she turned out just fine lol!
  • Options
    "People are going to think they don't have the same father because they will be so far apart."

((Not that it matters!!!))
  • Options
    "People are going to think they don't have the same father because they will be so far apart."

((Not that it matters!!!))
     😳
  • Options
    The only comments I’ve had so far are if I’m sure it’s not twins...(it’s not)
  • Options
    JBos82JBos82 member
    “Oh, you’re trying for a boy!” Because we have two girls. 🙄 Actually, we wanted a third girl and both did a crazy happy dance when we found out that’s what she is. But I know I’m going to hear about how I’m “missing out” by not having a boy for the rest of my life.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    bmmimsbmmims member
    “Oh I can see you’re starting to show now, you’ve got some FLUFF”

fluff.... 
  • Options
    "you don't *look* pregnant"

I think I'm going to be getting this a fair amount.  I've been told my uterus tilts back and I'm a FTM, so I probably won't be showing for a while.  Still, it kind of just rubs it in when I'm told that I don't "look" pregnant, and makes me feel like a faker.  Perhaps I should carry around my most recent ultrasound picture ... or better yet I guess just try not to take it personally...
  • Options
    kmb412kmb412 member
    “Don’t spend money on maternity clothes, I didn’t” and “there’s no reason to spend money on maternity clothes”

cool story, but uhhh, I have to get maternity clothes. Trust me, I’d really rather not spend the money but my normal clothes don’t fit!
  • Options
    @kmb412 Wait, really? What are those people trying to say? Is that like a humble brag that didn't gain much? Maybe their clothes were just already too baggy to begin with!
  • Options
    I got the comment today well your looking rather round today...im 14 +1.....ummmm thanks???
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    I've made the mistake of telling peeps that we're having a boy...and now I've heard comments like 'so you're going to try for a girl next time?'

Seriously, bro, wtf? Can people not make conversation without sounding like total idiots? 
    a) my future reproductive choices are my own. mind ya business. 
    b) if I did decide to procreate in the future, i'd hope for a healthy baby. the end. 
  • Options
    I honestly feel like sometimes people don't know what to say/ask and fall back on these old questions or comments that they know are outdated but honestly can't think of anything more original or supportive to say.

With that said, now that more family and others know I've mainly gotten asked directly if it was planned, which is pretty cringey or have had people jump to sympathetically saying "you can't plan these things" YIKESSS 
  • Options
    @ABabyMarshall 🙄 That is the rudest thing ever! 
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @ABabyMarshall everyone seems to ask me that 🤮
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease OMG 🙈🙉🙊 
  • Options
    @ABabyMarshall I second the "was it planned?" comment. 

Also, I get the, "so are you guys getting married now?" My SO and I are in a healthy happy relationship, and it drive me nuts when people ask this. It's like it's shameful otherwise. 

One woman at my OB office even said, "well at least he's supportive of the pregnancy." Lady, we tried for this so I'd hope so...
  • Options
    I very much relate to this @dani_0921. With our first, we were youngish (20) and both sides of our families were pushing a marriage. I'm like 🗣️ I'M ALREADY PREGNANT!! I knew he would be an awesome supportive father no matter what whether we stayed together or not (we were reminded constantly that the odds are not in our favor of staying together) but I wasn't ready to commit to something like marriage for the sake of not shaming the family. I went so far as to get an Acknowledgement of Paternity done at the hospital because his family hinted (and almost convinced him!!) I'd be able to strip him off his parental rights if we weren't married (UGH).

With that said, we are pushing 30 now and married 3 years and still get these comments. 🤷 I don't regret our timing of things at all! Stick to your guns and enjoy your pregnancy the best you can because someone will always share their opinion that no one asked for lol
  • Options
    blg116blg116 member
    @dani_0921 @ABabyMarshall ugh the marriage thing. We got married a month after we found out I was knocked up in the most shotgun wedding ceremony ever. We wanted to avoid the "are you getting married now" judgements. Plus our wedding date is a week after our 10 year anniversary, so we had been tossing the idea around anyway. Honestly I'm surprised more people havent commented on the timing now that I've announced I'm pregnant 3 weeks after announcing we got married lol
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    my Dad asked me "how old are you again" and then asked, if me and my SO we're alright?!!!! What!!! 
  • Options
    I was backstage standing with DD1 and the rest of the girls in her class. One of the girls walks up to me and asks, "why is your belly so fat?" 😳😂 I told her it wasn't fat, it has a baby in it because I'm pregnant. Her poor mom was mortified. I told her mom that now she is going to walk up to everyone who has a larger stomach and ask them if they have a baby in there. 😂😂
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    @emeraldcity1214 my toddler has majorly over extended “baby in mommy’s belly” to all women with bellies are pregnant. Some awkward times in the grocery checkout lines. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We just did the big social media announcement this week, and i swear if one more person tells me "I knew you were pregnant! In your last few pictures you've looked a little thick/chubbier/fuller" I swear I might lose it. Just what a pregnant woman wants to hear! Ih and by the way, I've only gained like 4 pounds so far. Ugh!
  • Options
    @erins_321 Just wait until you get close to your due date and everyone tells you you're ready to pop, or you can't possibly get any bigger, or wow! You're huge! The list goes on. 🙄
  • Options
    @erins_321 - I had that when I told a family friend and she was like oh yea when I saw you 3 months ago you were looking bigger and at that point I hadn't gained any weight because I was only like 5 or 6 weeks.  I hate when people just want to be know it alls.  Like you didn't know. And that is rude!

Also, I had my first unwanted belly touch from my MIL this past weekend.  Not even my husband has permission to touch my belly unless it is much later in the pregnancy and I want him to feel the baby kick.  It is just awkward.  
  • Options
    @Dancer688 my Saturday was full of unwanted belly touches... Our friends hosted a gender reveal for us and it was filled with friends and family. I think it's a generational thing. All of our friends and younger family give me my space, but none of the aunts and grandparents do. I had to get really good at dodging hands and jumping out of the way. I've always been body conscious so this just feels strange to have people touch me. I let a few slip by and had to grit my teeth and bear it, but this is going to wear thin. I swore to my husband that the first stranger that touches me, I'm rubbing their belly right back 🤣
  • Options
    blg116blg116 member
    @Dancer688 uuuggghhhhh the belly touch. I told my grandma not to touch my belly, and thankfully shes respected that. My MIL though... I love her dearly, but I just tense up every time she touches my belly or talks to it. I get it, shes excited. But come on. At this point it's not even baby belly, its gut.

• Options
    When I was pregnant with DD2, some stranger in the grocery store stopped me and started touching my belly. 😳 I was freaking out on the inside but trying to be polite about it. She wasn't from America so I think it may have been a cultural thing. Either way, I hope no one does it this time. 
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @emeraldcity1214 yikes, a stranger!? Stranger scare me to begin with lol. I would have run like a crazy person.