May 2019 Moms

Babies and Social Media Security

2»

Re: Babies and Social Media Security

• @misskatiec I downloaded tiny beans on my phone but cant seem to add pictures to it so it's not working out so far for me. 

@lappymom2019 that's a great idea. I can allow her to see the things i dont mind being public and keep the private stuff to the people who can respect my wishes. Question though. What if a mutual friend shares the picture? Can she then see/share it? 

I would be willing to allow her to be part of the private group if she can follow the rules. Not that i dont want her to see LO just dont want her reposting or sharing beyond what we are ok with. 
  • Whoa, I am really going to be the odd woman out here...

I blogged for many years before children and have always felt very comfortable with being "out there" on social media. That didn't really change after babies and I dabbled a little bit in mommy blogging and photography, and my subject was more often than not my children, since they are such a huge part of my life. For those early months and years, their story and my story are really hard to disentangle, but those were also the years when I really desperately needed to share my life in order to connect with other people going through the same thing. My blog has since died, but still exists in the wayback machine, but my instagram is public and full of pictures of my children and my musing on our life together. If one day I'm going to have to apologize to my children for that, I certainly will, but I definitely don't regret it.

That said, as my first got older, and developed more independence and her own identity outside of mine, I have shifted my social media practice quite a lot. I follow two rules: I ask to take her picture in the same way I might ask an adult. And I ask her before I posting it on social media. If she says no to either of those things, no matter how cute that picture might be, I respect her decision. I've slowed down with all posting lately, mostly because I just haven't been taking as many pictures lately.

Oddly, I post very little on Facebook except when something big happens (Christmas, first hair cut, birthdays, etc.), mostly because I feel like people on IG choose to follow our story as a family, while people on Facebook are often my friend out of duty and don't necessarily care much about the ins and outs of our days.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Loading the player...
  • I use Tinybeans and love it as a great way to share pictures and videos with family. We live far apart and it makes me so happy to be able to involve my loved ones in my LO's daily activities. I think it's a great alternative to FB. 
  • I very rarely ever post pictures of my daughter on Facebook. I don't have an Instagram account. I only post pictures where she is fully clothed and I don't think they would be embarrassing for her at a later point in life. I do use an app which is specifically designed for sharing pictures of kids, it's called Lifecake. There's another one called "Tiny Beans". You can add specific people to give them access to view the pictures. We added her 4 grandparents and her 1 aunt, and that's it.  I do want them to be able to see my daughter regularly. For everyone else, they can ask to visit if they want to see her. There's too many pedifiles out there... I don't want to take any chances with her safety.