July 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Baby/kids books

What's your favorite book from your childhood? What's a book your kids have that they love? 

Re: GTKY: Baby/kids books

• Options
    My brothers and I loved books as kids! We would go to the library 2-3 times a week! I can't think of any specific ones except in elementary school I tried to get the same book every week called "The Good Stepmother". I found the book on Amazon a couple years ago and had to get it.
    My 2.5/almost 3 year old loves books too! Some of his current favorites are Gus the Bus, Jamberry, Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night, The Rainbow Fish, The Invisible String, Curious George (any!), and Is Your Mama a Llama. My 14 month old loves any touchy feely books, but especially the Usborne "That's Not My..." books. If you haven't heard of them, look them up! They are so cute and have tons of fun textures!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Shell Silverstein books!  We read a few poems to DD every night. I don’t think she cares for a specific book, but she LOVES to turn pages. So she helps us read a lot. 
  • Options
    My boys love any of the Little Blue Truck books! Pout Pout Fish is also a favorite in our house. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I loved One Million Cats as a small one, I slept with it at night. As I got older, I loved the original Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Right now, M is in loved with Dragons Love Tacos. We have to read it every night, he gets super engaged and then we "throw" tacos at each other to munch.
  • Options
    I love books! We go to the library every week. They have a program where you read 1000 books to your child before kindergarten.  My oldest won't be in kindergarten until next year, but we finished that list a long time ago lol!

I always loved Berenstein bear books and Franklin the turtle. My 4 year old likes these and pretty much any other book. My 2 year old loves books with real pictures or bright colors. I also love reading them books about real things (like certain animals, weather, plants, etc.). My 4 year old loves to "pretend read" to her sister too, it's so cute! I don't think she'll have any trouble learning to read!
  • Options
    I loved books as a kid. I was obsessed with Cinderella (that's what my mom called me) and had every version my parents could find. I loved Shell Silverstein too, @jenniferjoy37! I still have his books, so I'll have to dig those out!

Other than a few of my faves I saved from my childhood, I have no kids books.

Any recommendations on good multicultural children's books? Rural Nebraska is not very multicultural, but I want to raise my kid exposed to as many cultures as I can (including different cultures not centered around race/ethnicity). I have some great Native American kid's books from my childhood, but that's about it.
  • Options
    @nolemomma14 The pout pout fish was one of my niece's favorites when she was small. Good book!
    I loved Shel Silverstein and I was going to mention another, but now I forget  :D
  • Options
    @cindler do you have instagram? If so, follow "hereweeread" it's a great account with suggestions for diversity in books! It looks like there's a website too... hereweeread.com haven't checked out the website though so can't give a review on it! 
  • Options
    @nerdtoyourmother <3 Frog and Toad  <3

Our house is currently being taken over by children's books and we need an intervention. I feel like an uneducated jerk saying "no more books aloud!" But it's really gotten out of hand. It started so slowly with just a gift here and there but now there are hundreds upon hundreds and they're just everywhere.
  • Options
    I loved Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.
    Currently my 2.5 y.o. is obsessed with ALL the princess books.

For any Jewish mamas out there, sign your baby up for PJ Library.  They send a free Jewish themed book every month from 6 months through 6 years.  Their curators are awesome.  Almost every month it is a book my daughter loves.
  • Options
    @ccmama3 - I love Usborne books so much that I accidentally-through-my-inability-to-say-no became a rep or whatever (and no, this isn't a thinly veiled sales pitch). Now I have less guilt about buying SO MANY, because I get a discount!  :D
  • Options
    I always made my dad read me, “Are you my Mother?” 
    He would do all the sounds and I would laugh and laugh. He read to me a lot. 
  • Options
    mw3tmmw3tm member
    I loved the Little Critter series when I was younger, and then Shel Silverstein of course! When I was a little older (elementary school) my brother and I used to read those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books which actually scared me because I was and still am a big wimp.

My sons love the Knufflebunny book series and Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site. Knufflebunny is now my go-to shower gift book. I secretly love it as well  :)
  • Options
    I loved Shel Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, and the Berenstain Bears. When I saw this question, I honestly couldn't remember anything I liked as a young kid, but some of your answers jogged my memory. I also remember this weird little book called Noisy Nora about a girl who was a loud eater and had no friends until she developed some table manners. 
    @cindler, I added some multicultural/diverse books to my registry a few months ago--I have no experience with them, but I thought they looked good: The Great Big Book of Families, All Are Welcome, and It's Okay to be Different.
    Personally, I'd love to find kids' books featuring Asian-American characters, or mixed White/Asian-American families. I've had a hard time finding anything, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I really want my daughter to have books with characters that at least somewhat resemble her and her family. I'm cool with animal characters for a while, but it would be nice to have some diverse human representation too.  :)
  • Options
    @pizzaplz the Horrible Harry series has an Asian-American character named Song Lee, and Song Lee has a few books from her POV. (I had to google the name of the main series because I only remembered the name Song Lee. My kid self thought she had the most elegant name! 😊)

I loved Madeline when I was little and bought a copy of it at a garage sale for my future baby. I had a Madeline doll that had her appendicitis scar! I also bought a copy of Corduroy today—I forgot until I reread it that the girl who adopts Corduroy is black. 😊
    When I got into chapter books I loved Junie B. Jones and Ramona Quimby. Both authors really nailed the thought process and voice of kids that age. The American Girl books were my favorite historical fiction for a while, then when I got older I got really into the Dear America series.
  • Options
    @ccmama3 no social media here, but I'll check out their website! Thanks!

@hestia14 your mention of Madeline jogged my memory of Amelia Bedelia! Loved those books. Also, remembered @ameliabedelia-2 haven't seen her in a long time. I hope things are ok.

Funny how the most random things can jog your memory. 
  • Options
    So so many it’s hard to narrow it down. Love you forever by Robert munsch, I read it to DD the day she came home for the hospital and cried with all my postpartum emotions. Basically anything by Robert munsch is a hit. We also love shel Silverstein poems and the giving tree. Anything by Dr Seuss, DD gets a kick out of fox in socks with all the tongue twisters. Also anything by Nancy Tillman - the night you were born is one of my favourites. My daughter is also super into the “how do dinosaurs” series, how does a dinosaur eat all his food, how do dinosaurs say I’m mad, etc. And Mo Willems is great too, don’t let the pigeon drive the bus and goldilocks and the three dinosaurs are hilarious. 

@hestia14 DD got Madeline for Easter and she’s obsessed! 
  • Options
    My boys LOVED the Skippyjon Jones books, and Pete the Cat. @nerdtoyourmother I had Gregory the Terrible Eater too, and a bunch of other books by the same author or illustrator. All about quirky animal youths being accepted for their fun quirky selves.
  • Options
    I was also randomly thinking of @ameliabedelia-2 lately and wondering how she is.
  • Options
    Also, I’m excited for when we finally start prepping the nursery because my mom saved a bunch of my kids books. I have 2 boxes of them in my closet. They gave them to me when they cleaned out my mom’s house. So I’m really excited to see what is in there. 
    We had some subscription to kids books when I was little. They have like rainbow colors on the binding. 
    did anyone  else have all the little golden books growing up? I know I’ve got a bunch of those, too!  
  • Options
    +1 to Robert Munsch  and Dr. Seuss. DD is a big reader. Luckily my mom is very big on books so her house is like a huge libray of children's books...and since we are currently living here DD has a million to choose from. As a little one she loved Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Then she got more into flap books and pop up books...so more the interactive type of book. And then finally the ones with longer story lines. She also loves The Velvatine Rabbit. She actually took her first steps to go pick up a book that was on the other side of our living room. I also LOVED cloth books, bath books and chewable books when she was little as books ended up in her mouth all the time. At least with those I knew she wouldn't ruine them or get hurt by chewing on them. 
  • Options
    acgxacgx member
    @hakele I also loved Are You My Mother? I frequently give that as a gift for new babies! I also loved the Berenstein Bears and Curious George. And this book called The Dream Stealer, that my mom saved and gave back to me for this baby, that is so gorgeously illustrated, but now that I read it as an adult, kinda scary!! 

When I was older/could read on my own, I liked Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys, Babysitters Club, all the series!
  • Options
    key33key33 member
    Dr. Suess is a favorite in our house. My kids also really liked llama llama, little blue truck, Bernstein bears and Sandra Boynton books.
  • Options
    Books are kind of all over the map in our house. We have so many. My son really enjoys the touch & feel/noise books, Eric Carl books are a big hit (The Hungry Caterpillar and Polar Bear Polar Bear, What Do you Hear?) but a few random ones too, like “King Baby” and “Momo and Snap Are Not Friends”.

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Options
    Berenstein Bears and Dr. Suess for sure. Also loved Junie B. Jones. My mom a few years ago bought the all the box sets of Junie, can’t wait to read them to my daughter! 
  • Options
    @hakele I had a ton of little golden books! Sadly my mom insisted on weeding out the books she'd been holding on to for years and those didn't spark any memories so I got rid of them. That was only a few weeks before I found out I was KU. Poor timing for sure!
  • Options
    I don't remember having any favorite books when I was a little. Which is probably why dd has a ton of books. I loved reading Sandra boyton? books to her. We moved to elephant and piggie books and now she's getting into chapter books.

What new books are you guys adding to your library? Since dd is older we haven't been keeping up on what's new. 
  • Options
    quinniebearquinniebear member
    edited April 2019
    I have always loved reading and hope this LO shares that. Some of my favorites as a kid were The Rackety Packety House, The Funny Little Woman, Charlotte's Web, anything with horses (anything by Marguerite Henry was a fave). There are several that I remember the basic story but not the title and I keep calling my mom or sister to see if we can figure out what it was.

ETA: I was OBSESSED with Reading Rainbow and am so excited it's on Prime!!! They need to bring it back. Also loved Wishbone for classic literature.
  • Options
    @quinniebear my brothers and I loved Reading Rainbow and especially Wishbone too!! I tried to get my toddler to watch Reading Rainbow on his fire tablet and he had no interest haha!
  • Options
    @quinniebear OMG  Reading Rainbow was the BEST!!
  • Options
    @cindler - we have the following on our registry that address diversity/kindness to others in some form:

- Hands are Not for Hitting
    - I Walk with Vanessa: A Story About a Simple Act of Kindness
    The Big Umbrella
    Sesame Street: Celebrate You! Celebrate Me!: A Peek and Touch Book
    Pink Is for Boys
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Presents A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo

I’d also love to find a good book or two addressing mixed race kids. As I’ve never had to deal with it myself personally, it would be great to have something like that as a starting point for my little one (and me). 

• Options
    @pizzaplz - it wouldn’t let me tag you in my last post for some reason
  • Options
    @finnflan yes I love Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Presents A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo!! I bought it for my niece when it first came out and she loves it!

Such a good thread, there are so many I can't even narrow it down right now. I used to teach preschool and studied child development in college, so I have a bunch of stuff saved from then. I know of the top of my head, I have some Frog and Toad, Courduroy, Paper Bag Princess and some Shel Silverstein too.
  • Options
    I absolutely love Grandpa Bear's Fantastic Scarf.  I did not know it in my childhood, but a friend purchased this book for my daughter and I love the message in it.  Grandpa Bear weaves a scarf everyday and puts thread in based on his day or mood that day.  He explains to little bear that he decides what goes into his scarf and nothing else.  
  • Options
    ❤❤❤❤ Sandra Boyton and still have "But Not The Hippopotamus " memorized. With hand motions. It's a family tradition  :)
  • Options
    @cindler and @Cbeanz, thanks for the thoughts! I am alive and well (as is baby!!).  I have been lurking, but I have so many issues with the mobile app, I just got frustrated and sort of gave up on the bump.  I rarely sign on from my laptop so I only am seeing your notes now. Hope everyone is doing well! 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    cindlercindler member
    @ameliabedelia-2 YAY! So glad things are going well for you and baby!!!