December 2019 Moms
Options

Pregnancy Announcements

Re: Pregnancy Announcements

• Options
    CapricaAndreaCapricaAndrea member
    edited April 2019
    @mecoats My mom has pregnancy dreams too! Or at least she claims to. It manifests as just bizarre dreams about people that don't make any sense, but she just has a feeling that they are pregnant. Apparently it used to work really well when she was in her 20's, but anytime she's had one about me she's been wrong, and she (so far) hasn't had any accurately predicting any of my pregnancies :p

• Options
    @CapricaAndrea - yea my last pregnancy we were on vacation when I got my BFP so she didn't have a chance to dream.  so I'm just patiently waiting to see if she will reach out to me.  it will be interesting for sure. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @CapricaAndrea I'm 43 now and will be 44 by December. I have a number of friends that had children over 40, so when we started trying then I assumed it would be all roses. What l have learned these past few years about this "old eggs" business, I was so naive...
  • Options
    @mackorori gotcha. It is definitely still possible to have a perfectly uncomplicated pregnancy at that age, so fingers crossed for this one! 
  • Options
    @CapricaAndrea thanks, we are hoping for the best. I've learned a lot about the issues of being older, all in the egg quality and not necessarily the ability to carry a pregnancy, which is why we decided to test our embryos. My RE will allow women to do a transfer into their early 50s if they have no other medical issues, it's just that it would need to be a donor egg or from eggs they froze earlier in life. Having a baby in your 50s seems crazy, but we are living healthier and longer and I think it's amazing that science can make it happen if that's where your life path takes you.
  • Options
    @mecoats  That is so interesting about your mom dreaming, keep us updated I would love to know if she has a dream now!!! haha And CONGRATS!
  • Options
    How did you tell your SO you were pregnant?

I wrapped a box of diapers with brown parcel paper and wrote on it "Stork Shipping Co" and "special delivery expected in dec" and tied confetti balloons to it. 

When do you plan on telling family/friends?

I told my 2 best friends before i even told hubs lol. A few other friends know now. I told my sister on easter because my kids are good with secrets. My youngest busted it out to my MIL during her sunday skype. My birth father and birth mother will receive a package soon announcing it. 

When do you plan to announce at work?

My direct boss knows because she knew we were trying and i was super nauseous one day and she guessed.

Any people you are worried about telling?

Nope. Ive never been one to care about how people feel about my choices. 
  • Options

I was trying to have my 2.5 year old say "Daddy, I'm going to be a big brother" but instead he kept saying his brother is a big brother. So instead my 6 year old said " Dad, did you know I'm a big brother"  when my husband acknowledged 6 year old said "Did you know C is going to be a big brother too?"  

We'll share after the first trimester, we reach the 2nd trimester on our 7th wedding anniversary so we'll share after that time. 

After the first trimester.  I usually travel to a conference in October for work, so I need to confirm with my doctor whether or not I'll be able to travel for that conference.  I'll share when we need to book our flights and conference registration which is usually in July. 

I'm always most nervous to share with my parents, which is silly because they're always so excited for us. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mecoatsmecoats member
    @ktmaesim @CapricaAndrea my mom did have a dream, but she didn’t tell me until i put baby #2 in her Mother’s Day card. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    -We were doing fertility treatments and IUI so I shoved a test in his face at 6:30am on our test day and said “Holy sh** is that a line?” Then demanded Whataburger and more tests. We are classy.

-We already told them. We kept everyone very informed on what we were going through and how everything was going. So they were all waiting to hear test results that morning.

-After initial blood test and fertility doctor appointment. They ruled me high risk and put me on light work duty, so there was no getting around it.

-We will not be putting our pregnancy on social media for personal reasons. But I am hiding clues in all of my Instagram pictures to see if anyone catches on. It has been fun so far.
  • Options
    @spawnsvessel I LOVE Whataburger. It is always what we eat after my races or to celebrate anything lol We are not originally from Texas so when we moved here 6 years ago it was the most amazing thing to us (silly I know) 
  • Options
    I told my husband that I thought I was having another chemical pregnancy because the line was visible 11dpo on first response and looked lighter 13 dpo. I bawled my eyes out and we grieved what we thought was our fourth loss. I stopped progesterone and waited for my period to come. A few days later when it still hadn’t showed, he’s like “Are you sure you’re not pregnant? Take another test!” I did and we both got the shock that the line looked significantly darker. Had hcg levels drawn three times and we are happily now 8 weeks. We are not telling family until till after the first trimester because we shared early the first time I got pregnant and miscarried just a few days later. For now we are enjoying this bond between us. We will tell his parents on Father’s Day and mine the following week when we are in town so we can share in person. I guess we’ve got about 5 weeks to keep this secret still. 
  • Options
    How did you tell your SO you were pregnant? I basically just screamed "Oh my God!" from the bathroom...and he called back, "I told you not to freak out!" We had been suspecting I was. 😊

When do you plan on telling family/friends? I already told my parents and sister, and we told his mom. Two of my best friends also know, but we are waiting to tell the rest of the family/friends/announce on Facebook until after the next ultrasound, when I'm hopefully given the all clear and told that SCH is dissolved.

When do you plan to announce at work? I was going to wait until the same time as telling everyone else, after the second ultrasound, but when you work in close proximity to 6 other women, apparently they pick up on things like when I start drinking ginger ale when I never drink soda, or start snacking more frequently when I'm not a snacker... they called me out on it, so yeah, cat's out of the bag in the office, haha. As for officially contacting HR about maternity leave, I will be waiting until after the second ultrasound.

Any people you are worried about telling? Honestly, we were concerned about telling his mom...she's difficult, very simply. But, she reacted well. Hopefully she continues to do so, but we are bracing ourselves for any future outbursts, based on past experience. We haven't told his brother yet, and I'm not sure when or even if he plans to do that. They have a very strained relationship, haven't talked in months, and we're pretty sure there's some mental illness there, so I'm letting him take the reigns on that one.
  • Options
    How did you tell your SO you were pregnant? He told me I was while I was chowing down on Mangos and hot sauce... and I was.

When do you plan on telling family/friends? My mom spilled the beans, even though I asked her to wait until July.

When do you plan to announce at work? I am a STAHM.

Any people you are worried about telling? My Grandma, she is in and out these days and I didn’t want to get her hopes up if something happens. Also my MIL. She is the sweetest person I know and will try and fuss all over me, for which I am grateful but not exactly comfortable with. 
  • Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    That wasn’t hard- we tell each other everything, so I just told him after I got my first few positive pregnancy tests.  We were also both paranoid about MC because our last one ended around 11 weeks, and I needed his support right away.👍

When do you plan on telling family and friends?  
    We’ve already told a few immediate family members, our daughter (8yo) found out at Disneyland around 7 weeks.  We’ll probably tell more family and friends in the next few weeks (I’m at 12 weeks today).

Probably when it starts to look a little more obvious.  I’m not showing too much yet, and my work attire is very casual.

Any people you’re worried about telling?
    Not really, I have already told the most opinionated people who all knew about the MC last time. After some people’s (family members) reactions to our last attempt (which we also kept pretty private) did not impress my husband and I, so we’re keeping things a lot more to ourselves this time.  I don’t need extra crazy-person induced stress, thank you very much!
  • Options
    baby-n-pupsbaby-n-pups member
    edited May 2019
    I'm getting nervous about our plan to share the news. I'll be going to my sister's graduation party this weekend & I'll be12 weeks Saturday. So we thought that as long as my sister doesn't mind, it'd be nice to tell the whole family at once since I have a huge family & they tell eachother everything. That way no one is 'last' or any issues like that. 

I told my boss yesterday incase a family member posts on Facebook or something, I wanted her to hear it from me. We still haven't  told any friends other than a close friend who deployed around our 8week mark. Hubby couldnt contain himself for that one. 

I'm starting to get nervous about telling people because this pregnancy still doesn't feel real to me. I feel like I need more time to digest this on my own, but I also want my family to be able to stand by us as we experience everything. Talking to them may help it feel more real. Im so conflicted, can anyone share your perspective on these issues?

Side note- My family is pretty much all we have. Hubby doesnt even plan on telling his mom (shes nuts) & he rarely, if ever, interacts with his other family members because of all the drama. 
  • Options
    @baby-n-pups congrats on almost 12 weeks! such a big milestone. i am 12 weeks tomorrow with my first and we plan to tell family this weekend, as well. I totally feel you on the nerves! i’m feeling so anxious about it. in the beginning, i wanted to tell family, especially my mom, but as we’ve kept this secret for so long i’ve gotten used to just my husband and i knowing. it’s our sweet little secret, and, it doesn’t quite feel real. some days i don’t feel as pregnant and have to remind myself... i know as soon as i tell family everything will change! it will become very real. and people will assert their own feelings and ambitions on our pregnancy. i’m nervous about this transition, and also how family may start treating us (especially me) differently. i don’t know if i’m quite ready for that type of attention and whatever else comes with them knowing (like unsolicited advice) but it has to happen at some point! i think it will be nice to have my mom to vent to and ask questions. on some other threads, many have said just make sure to set your boundaries early on and remind yourself that this pregnancy is yours and your partners, not theirs... good luck!!! i hope it is a very positive experience for us both this weekend! 
  • Options
    krrun16krrun16 member

I woke him up at 5:30am after seeing a BFP in less than a minute. I had a feeling that morning. 

I told some family and friends already because we were excited, but waiting to tell the rest after our OB appointment week 12.

When do you plan to announce at work? After my OB appointment.

Not necessarily worried, but will have to negotiate time off work of without taking unpaid time if possible. I'm in academia with no maternity leave.
  • Options
    @rjgmcmanus he looks like he’s smiling! How cute!
  • Options
    @k_mama91 He's our smiley, happy boy. 😊 I can't wait to see how he is with the baby, he's just a big lovebug.
  • Options
    @rjgmcmanus ugh I’m so nervous to see how ours will do. They came well after ds so they haven’t had any experience with babies. It’ll be interesting.
  • Options
    @k_mama91 Believe me, I'm totally excited about it, but also a little nervous--he's never been around babies either. But he has such a sweet personality, I'm not too worried. We're going to be calling the trainer we worked with initially to kind of help us figure out how to get him ready, and in the meantime, I've been playing youtube videos with baby sound effects around the house to help him get used to the sounds, and I've been letting him see and sniff some of the items we've already brought in. I've also been talking to my friends with babies who also have dogs with personalities similar to him to see what they did and how they handled it--so far, lots of good advice and positive feedback, which makes me feel good.
  • Options
    I'm also concerned about informing my employer.  I started work on April 22 and am on a 60 day new hire probation.  I am hoping I can hide it until around the 4th of July which will put me at 16.5 wk.  I'm almost 12 wks now, not showing at all still wearing tighter clothing from before pregnancy so fingers crossed. 

I have only told one friend,  she had a history of miscarriage and I wanted her to process it alone.  She doesn't talk to me much anymore now that I'm expecting though. 

None of my other friends have kids,  I'm very hesitant to share the news with anyone really.  I'm not excited about it so I don't want to have to fake enthusiasm just to make everyone else comfortable. 
  • Options
    How did you tell your SO you were pregnant? I was not convinced even with two extremely glaring lines. I just couldn’t believe it. I had a cute idea of how to tell him but that went out the window and I just ran over to him with the test. He didn’t believe it either! We went to the store to get a digital test that either says “pregnant” or “not pregnant” haha. 

When do you plan on telling family/friends? We told family around 9-10 weeks. I am still telling close friends as I meet up with them one on one.

When do you plan to announce at work? Plan to announce a little after 13 weeks! 

Any people you are worried about telling? No.
  • Options
    Venting...I had an argument with my husband because I found out that he told several of his family members and friends that I was pregnant really early on.  We had discussed it and I didn't want to tell anyone but our parents until the end of the first trimester.  I know he was just really excited and couldn't wait to share the good news, but I'm angry that he didn't consider or respect my wishes.  
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 I’ve had similar experiences when some people we told early on blabbed pretty quickly.  It feels disrespectful on some level, even though I know they’re just too excited to hold it in.  I was really nervous and scared for MC, and I really didn’t want to share too early- I still haven’t told lots of people and we’re at almost 14 weeks tomorrow!  Plus, some of the people that they told are people I wanted to talk to myself, such as my grandparents.  😡 
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12
    @cpk3535
    I'm in the same boat...my siblings blabbed to people and I FREAKED OUT on them. It is so rude! I feel like its honestly SELFISH... they want to be the ones to get attention by telling something they shouldn't, or gossiping which is just plain disgusting to me. I freaked out on them lol. Not cool! Esp since it's my first ever!
  • Options
    Husband and I decided we're announcing tomorrow....soooo nervous but excited to see everyone's reactions! I'l be 12 weeks on Sunday/Monday. I made a youtube video with a bunch of footage we took while we lived overseas the last 2 years and the baby announcement was a the very end, and the parents freaked out when we showed them. It was really fun (and they got soo emotional haha) 
  • Options
    @nerdmom0013 My daughter blabbed too 🤦‍♀️ Around 7 weeks told everyone at Easter i had a baby rhino in my tummy (what she thought the baby’s forehead looked like in early development). 
  • Options
    @ktmaesim I know!  What’s up with that?  I love that you went off on them, they really deserved it!  We’ve still only been discreetly telling people, yet my mom just couldn’t hold it in and absolutely had to tell my extended family.  I have no idea why!  It is like a weird selfish thing.  People are crazy 😜!
  • Options
    I'm approaching 14 wks and while I'm still not showing at all I know I'm going to run out of time. 

I have pretty severe anxiety about sharing this news.  Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on helping overcome this?  I'm at a loss. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 are you concerned that they won't be supportive? Or that it will have a negative impact on your career?  I had some concerns about disclosing to my employer too  and it didnt go very well at first, but it's all sorted out now and I actually feel relieved now that I dont have to keep it to myself any more!
  • Options
    @bookworm982  I was also extremely nervous and had so much anxiety the days leading up to when we were announcing. I feel you. I just was nervous like I almost felt as if something bad would happen like the next day or something.......it honestly felt like a weight off my chest though. And we were overjoyed with so many nice messages and calls and such. Just take your time, I don't think there is any rush, but I am feeling relieved its out now. Go off what you think is best for you and your partner's timing.