August 2019 Moms
Options

UO Thursday!

2»

Re: UO Thursday!

• Options
    Oh my gosh @sw1122 me too!!! Haha! I usually do all the shopping because 1) it takes me a tenth of the time it takes him, and 2) he spends at least 40% more than I would.  And we also go to 1 store for most things, and a different store for meat and milk.
    (Although we are opposite for finances. We joined finances officially once we married. But for all intents and purposes, by the time we were engaged.)

As for paying for post secondary, I think it's great if the parents can help out. But I don't think it's an obligation. (Unless parents insist on child attending, and the child doesn't want to/wants to follow some other path and is somehow being forced by the parents...even though the "child" is an adult by that time....)
    My parents had started a savings account for each of us kids when we were born. So they were able to contribute about $3000 toward my... $80,000+ of post secondary fees. (6 years of uni and 1 year of college). I graduated with 0 debt. I worked 5 jobs through uni, where I had a double course load. However, I highly do NOT recommend that. I only slept an average of 3 hours a night for 6 years. My grades and mental health suffered for that.

However, it is a HUGE help if parents can let their kids live rent free in their home during uni. Not having to pay for food or rent meant I just had to pay for school, car and cell. (And clothes, extra curricular etc).
    Obviously that's not always possible, since people may choose to go to post secondary far from home.
  • Options
    @dogmomma096 YES the belly hands thing. I made the same "judgement" but now my hands are like a magnet for my belly  :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lilmamabebe3 We live rural and have limited access to most stores. I go to Amazon when I have something in mind or I'm looking for ideas.  Its nice to have things here in 2 days instead of driving 3 hours to potentially not find what I'm looking for. 
  • Options
    @sourlemon @sw1122 @WinchesterGirl It's funny we are exactly the opposite, DH loves deal shopping he will go to 3 stores to get everything on the list in order to get all the sales. Personally, I'd rather spend a little more money and save myself the hassle of parking and checking out 3 times. When we got married I was awful at looking at prices, I just got what looked good, he's slowly been teaching me to pay attention to these things, but he still does 99% of the grocery shopping. Mostly because (1) he has a more flexible schedule and (2) he enjoys the deal hunting, but also because every time I walk into a store that sells chocolate, candy or cake I end up buying something I shouldn't. I really need to work on that impulse control...
  • Options
    UO: Grocery delivery is going to change my life.

As if Amazon isn't enough, InstantCart is now available in town AND Aldi participates. I'm on a 2-week trial and have already had 3 deliveries (the first was because DH did the weekend shopping without a list, the other two were in lieu of the normal weekly trips). In fact, one was delivered yesterday which means ZERO grocery shopping for this weekend AND we got to clean out the fridge last night before garbage day (Fridays). It's $100/yr, but I think it's going to reduce a lot of stress, food-waste, and time-waste in our household. Since it's membership-based, you don't pay per delivery (if it's over $35) and they will apply coupons via their app. Other participants in town - so far - are CVS & PetCo, so I'm super pumped: I'm already imagining this fall when flu season starts up, not having to lug around a newborn and a toddler just so I can pick up some Tylenol or an Rx. *squeeeeee*
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @WinchesterGirl - I love it! I am particularly interested in people's thoughts on 529s.  We have them set up for the girls - and while our contributions are regular, they aren't substantial. I feel like there is so much nuance to thinking about savings and I love the idea of a discourse. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options

@sw1122 DH and I have totally separate finances. We split the bills, though since I'm the "breadwinner" I pay most of them, I occasionally transfer money to him but most of the time we have it divvied so that he can cover what we have delegated for him. its all "our" money but we never got around to consolidating, We've been married for 10 years and have 3 kids... its what ever works for you.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    Our finances are completely intertwined, to a huge extent because our earnings are vastly out of balance (I'm in an esoteric academic field; he's in big finance-y type stuff), especially when I was a PhD student for one thousand million years with a tiny grad stipend as my income (though I was lucky to have a funded graduate program through fellowships and undergrad teaching and don't have any student debt) (literally no one should go into debt for a humanities graduate degree) (I get taking out loans for law school or med school or MBA because you can actually make that money back someday).

All of his accounts are joint accounts, but my little checking and savings are just mine. There were 5 minutes when I had a real job post-school and pre-baby, so I'd transfer most of my salary to the joint checking account, and now that we have childcare costs the way it works is that pretty much my whole take home pay goes directly to the nanny, and our home finances come out of DH's income. Day-to-day calculations are split, with the small stuff (groceries, baby stuff) mainly managed by me and the big stuff (property taxes) mainly managed by him.
  • Options
    @MamaK225 I haven't used Instantcart (I THINK its available in our town but even though we only live 1 mile out of town, delivery is usually not available) but I've used Amazon Pantry.  I was looking for a specific gluten free flour and the local high quality grocery didn't have it.  I added a few others things while I was getting the flour :p 
  • Options
    We have one joint checking account and then maintain our separate accounts. We put a portion of our paychecks into the joint account to cover the mortgage and other bills, and then the rest is just ours. 

On parents paying for college: I was super lucky my family had saved for school for me and I didn't have undergrad debt. I do have grad school debt. 

Another uo: I don't think every kid needs to go to college. I grew up with that mentality but in reality we could use more workers in the US economy that have hard skills (things like plumbers and electricians) that can be achieved through certificates and similar programs. College degrees used to get you a good career - that is the paradigm my parents grew up in - but now, with some notable exceptions (nursing and engineering come to mind), a college degree will get you an entry level job with little upward mobility (you'll need a grad degree to really move up) and not many marketable skills. I wish every kid could have the benefit of a liberal arts education and also receive training they need to actually succeed, but it's not realistic given how much college costs. 
  • Options
    We only got a joint account when we moved here but we still have separate finances at home. He just transfers me money. We will probably go back to this when we repatriate. We have separate credit cards and everything at home. I have no clue what money he has and he has none of what I have. One day I think we should discuss it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    All of our accounts are joint, mostly because I HATE dealing with finances. It was the only thing I ever saw cause my parents a lot of heartache growing up, and I just always had a fear of financial instability and an overall negative relationship toward money. Thankfully, MH is a financial advisor and loves all of that, so he does 100% of our finances. He still includes me in all decisions, but I've appreciated that he doesn't count on me in that department. 
  • Options
    We each have our own separate savings accounts, checking accounts and a credit card.  Then we have a joint checking account and credit card. We both put the same percentage of our paychecks into the joint account. All bills are paid on our joint accounts
  • Options
    All of our finances are combined. We started combining them when we got engaged and they were fully combined by our wedding day. I handle everything finance related and DH barely even knows the status of anything at any given moment. I wish he paid more attention to it but he has absolutely no interest. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Regarding finances. We have the accounts together but 2 checking, 2 savings. 2 for each of us but visible to each other.  We do have separate credit cards (also visible) and a 3rd card that is ours.  He takes care of some bills, I take care of the others.  It works out really well for us.  
  • Options
    I find the finances discussion so fascinating... so many different methods that seem to “work”.  For us, our paychecks go into our joint account, after that we each take out our “allowance” from the joint account and do with it what we please.  We both manage our finances together; although DH has taken the lead on stock/fund picking.  

UO: while I agree with the concept of college not being for everyone and that there are plenty of skilled labor jobs that are rewarding and allow people to live far more comfortably than me; when push comes to shove, I would still prefer it for MY kids to go to college (I also realize that this is the exact mentality that Mike Rowe tries to fight).  I do plan to guide my children to pursue higher education with job satisfaction as well as security and financial stability as a goal (not just based on whim or passion).  
  • Options
    hemlheml member
    @MamaK225 Grocery delivery is life changing. We have a couple of services here that do grocery delivery plus one store does grocery pickup after you order online. The extra charges are totally worth the time/stress savings for us 
  • Options
    agpandmeagpandme member
    edited March 2019
    When I talked to my husband about college savings for the little one.  He said "My kid is going to a trade school".  I personally think college is a waste unless you are pursing a specific career path of something that really requires a lot of schooling (doctor, lawyer, etc).  To go and just to dink around and come out with a "Leisure Studies" degree is pointless.  My husband went to a 1 year degree program at a college and got a job right away at 20 making far too much money for a 20 year old living at home. Now 12 years later he secured a position to where he hardly does any heavy work at all and makes even more $.  We bought 2 homes in California which is an accomplishment all on its own. My sisters husband barely graduated high school and is making great money as a construction supervisor.  It all really depends on the interests and drive of the child with a guiding hand from the parents. 
  • Options
    Our finances are combined. Mostly because I’m basically a SAHM (I work very infrequently), so the money DH makes is the money that runs our household. I handle most of the finances, but we have weekly discussions about where things are, what’s getting paid that week, what’s due, any unexpected expense, etc. It seems to work for us. 

We will absolutely not be paying for our children to go to college. This baby is our 7th child. We know that we will help with what we can help with. Each child has a savings account that has money for them to use towards their needs, but it will definitely not be enough to pay for 4 years of college. We know that some grandparents have set up accounts for each child for college, but for the most part it’ll fall on our kids. We’re hopeful our kids will make smart decisions about their schooling choices, but when it comes down to it, we just hope they choose a path that makes them happy (college, trade, work, military, etc). 
  • Options
    Amazon is my jam!

i think parents should pay for college and save for their kids college if they are financially able to and a college education is heavily prioritized. For us, there would have to be an extreme case for our kids to not go onto college - we will invest heavily in their education leading up to college and a 4 year degree is important in our eyes for them to achieve. We are also able to save money for them to go so I feel it’s our responsibility to do so. However, I realize it’s not feasible for all families and that college isn’t for everyone. I do think grad school is another Story and not the responsibility of the parents unless they are very pushy in their children going into a particular field such as medicine or law.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @Allycat11 - My husband is the exact same.  It drives me crazy that he has no idea where we are financially at any given moment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @AKuzReve I'm with you... it just feels a little creepy.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @Allycat11 - I know exactly how you feel and many people choose to hold back until then. *TW* I was originally pregnant with twins and lost one of them after seeing both heartbeats, around 8 wks ... I definitely slowed down a little at that point *TW*

It's the halfway+ people that give me creepy vibes.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    Also on board with the late joiners. And the ones who only participate (aka post pictures) in the ultrasound and HDBD threads.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    Glad I’m not alone in this! They also will randomly join in the group check in and I’m like all nope about it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*