October 2019 Moms
Options

UO & FFFC 3/8

2»

Re: UO & FFFC 3/8

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    sorarose said:
    @cmbt2 Nope, although a nurse looked away as I ate a granola bar right when I was admitted with DD.
    This is such a strange concept to me. I was given as much as I wanted until the moment the epidurals were placed. We were encouraged to eat during labor/inductions 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @cmbt2 nope. Once admitted I wasn't allowed to eat or drink (they did let me have small sips of water and even apple juice here and there). I will for sure be making sure I eat before admittance this time around.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @cmbt2 nope. Once admitted I wasn't allowed to eat or drink (they did let me have small sips of water and even apple juice here and there). I will for sure be making sure I eat before admittance this time around.
    This actually goes against what current studies and guidelines are saying, so I guess I’m surprised that this is still a thing. 

The nurses would check every half hour to see if I was hungry 🤷🏼‍♀️ 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    galentinegalentine member
    edited March 2019
    cmbt2 said:
    sorarose said:
    @cmbt2 Nope, although a nurse looked away as I ate a granola bar right when I was admitted with DD.
    This is such a strange concept to me. I was given as much as I wanted until the moment the epidurals were placed. We were encouraged to eat during labor/inductions 
    I think it's fairly common practice to not allow (or strongly discourage) eating during labor/induction. I'm a FTM and not a doctor, but I assume the reasoning is they want you to have an empty stomach in case of emergency c-section so you are less likely to aspirate.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    sorarose said:
    I think it's fairly common practice to not allow (or strongly discourage) eating during labor/induction. I'm a FTMand not a doctor, but I assume the reasoning Iid they want you to have an empty stomach in case of emergency c-section so you are less likely to aspirate.
    It is extremely rare now a days to go under general for an emergency c. You get a spinal, which is similar to an epidural. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    cmbt2 said:
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    sorarose said:
    I think it's fairly common practice to not allow (or strongly discourage) eating during labor/induction. I'm a FTMand not a doctor, but I assume the reasoning Iid they want you to have an empty stomach in case of emergency c-section so you are less likely to aspirate.
    It is extremely rare now a days to go under general for an emergency c. You get a spinal, which is similar to an epidural. 
    🤷‍♀️ I don't know what to tell you. It's my doctor and hospital's policy, too. It might not be right but it's not a completely crazy concept. It seems to still be standard in a lot of places.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    galentine said:
    cmbt2 said:
    sorarose said:
    🤷‍♀️ I don't know what to tell you. It's my doctor and hospital's policy, too. It might not be right but it's not a completely crazy concept. It seems to still be standard in a lot of places.
    Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if it’s a hospital vs center thing? We have four places here that do births and the only one that doesn’t allow eating or drinking is a hospital. the rest are medical centers 🤷🏼‍♀️ 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @cmbt2, could be. I don't know anyone personally who had delivered at a birth center, so that could explain why everyone I know (who delivered at hospitals) wasn't allowed to eat.
  • Options
    @cmbt2 I think your probably right 
  • Options
    @elle-0409 Avocado toast with a scrambled egg (instead of runny) is a decent replacement. A little everything but the bagel seasoning helps perk it up. Though it sounds completely awful to me now where I am with my level of nausea, it was what I was doing after I first found out I was PG.

@melanier26 I've also been watching so much of Call the Midwife. Love it!
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    @galentine you are absolutely right. I didn't understand it when I delivered my first, but now that I'm in school to be a nurse anesthetist I completely get it. The reason is absolutely the risk of having to put a patient to sleep for general anesthesia. @cmbt2 yes, it is very rare, but it does happen. And the changes that occur during pregnancy make a women's body process food so much more slowly than nonpregnant patients. So for a normal surgery, a patient that hasn't eaten in 8 hours will almost always have an empty stomach. A pregnant patient that hasn't eaten in 8 hours probably still has some food in her stomach and if you have to put her to sleep in an emergency, that food can come back up and go into her lungs. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Some places allow clear liquids because they are digested a lot faster, but that can still pose a risk if the patient has an emergency c section. 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Just so people know im not just making this up, this is from the American Society of Anesthesiologists - https://www.asahq.org/about-asa/newsroom/news-releases/2015/11/eating-a-light-meal-during-labor
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @cmbt2 I’m with you on this. I ate during my last labor and as it was I had enough trouble mustering the energy to push out a baby. If I hadn’t eaten the whole time, I can almost guarantee I would have needed some sort of intervention. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @greenbean-2 I ended up with an epidural and I think it had a lot to do with having an empty fuel tank - I only got a couple hours of sleep bc I went into labor at 2 am, I ate half a piece of toast and some banana then that came back up...and I think I might’ve managed the other half of the toast on the way to the hospital. I will try my hardest to do it differently this time around! 
  • Options
    @melanier26 It’s possible! I actually had an epidural and loved it, but I think without the snacking I would have needed something like a vacuum assistance. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cmbt2 I did not for a second think you were making it up, I was just trying to inform on an anesthesia provider's perspective. And with most things in medicine, different providers have different views on it. I'm still in school and too new to know the best answer, but at this point I'd rather err on the side of caution. Even in clinicals, the different hospitals I've been to have different policies on it. I've seen both.

This is the AANA's view on it: "Take precautions to prevent aspiration pneumonitis during pregnancy, labor, delivery, surgery and post-delivery.134 Medications (e.g., clear antacid, histamine-2 receptor antagonist, Metoclopramide) and restricting solid foods before elective surgery can help prevent aspiration.135,136 Manage cases of aspiration pneumonitis on an individual basis.46"
    https://www.aana.com/docs/default-source/practice-aana-com-web-documents-(all)/analgesia-and-anesthesia-for-the-obstetric-patient.pdf

• Options
    I had an induction and my last full meal was about 48 hrs before I actually gave birth. My husband snuck me a jello before they started the pitocin and then I wasn’t allowed anything else after that. I wasn’t really hungry, though, oddly enough. And I didn’t feel super weak, either. But my delivery was a hot mess for other reasons lol. I know some doctors who are ok with clears until delivery or even allowing light meals but mine were old school so I wasn’t allowed to eat.  
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    It’s not Friday, but my FFFC is that since we had moved on and were planning a different route of adding to our family, our first reaction to finding out I was pregnant was not pure joy.  Instead we were both really disappointed that we needed to cancel our cruise we had planned in November that we booked last fall.  

After a a couple days we realized how silly that was and looked into delaying it til November 2020.
  • Options
    @cmbt2, I didn't doubt you either, for what it's worth. That's great that current studies are showing it's ok for moms to eat a light meal during labor. I can see how that would help with morale and energy for pushing. I was more reacting to your comment about not allowing food during labor being "such a strange concept." Even though medical standards change over time, not eating during labor seems to still be the standard in a lot of places. It doesn't seem strange to me at all, even if it's not ideal.
  • Options
    Sunday confession: I just posted on multiple threads in an effort to push the drive-by posts further down the page. And I'm super annoyed that new ones seem to be getting posted faster than I can even keep up.

• Options
    @galentine You’re the true hero. 
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Options
    @galentine sorry, I couldn’t stop myself with that intro one lol so dumb
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @longhairdntcare, haha I rolled my eyes a little at that one too - the irony of saying "oh, I lurked!" and then still ignoring the board organization is pretty amusing.

ETA - but she did eventually intro in the right place, so maybe she lurked more and caught on. 😉
  • Options
    galentine said:
    @longhairdntcare, haha I rolled my eyes a little at that one too - the irony of saying "oh, I lurked!" and then still ignoring the board organization is pretty amusing.

ETA - but she did eventually intro in the right place, so maybe she lurked more and caught on. 😉
    Maybe she did 🤔😉

• Options
    FFSC: I posted on the intro thread about being involved and then went on vacation so I looked like a one and done. 

I defintiely won’t be the most active member since I can’t be on my phone much during work hours, but I’m really going to try! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Re: eating during labor - I drank a protein shake on the way to the hospital with my second (first was a CS due to breech, second was VBAC) and it was the best decision ever. I get so hangry and didn’t want to end up feeling more weak than necessary, and figured if I barfed it up it wouldn’t be so bad. 
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    FFMC: I had a CS with DD1 because the birth had stalled, tried for a VBAC with DD2 but got a CS because of pains even in between contractions, and am now only mildly put out that this one will most likely als be a CS. The hospital I've had my kids at does amazing CS and recuperation was a breeze. I finished on binging Call the Midwife this weekend and the home births did not change my mind at ALL. Love my anaesthesia.

Also, I want my tubes tied while they're rummaging around in there, so bonus!
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Options
    @PenelopeSnuz77 I’ll have to try to remember the protein shake tip. Trying to eat was so rough, I bet that’d be easier
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:

Were you guys not allowed to eat during labor? 
    I was allowed to eat! My hospital had a little kitchette stocked with all kinds of tea and snacks and broths. But I didn't want to. At all. It was a struggle to keep drinking my semen-colored Gatorade and chicken broth. But afterwards I wanted ALL THE FOOD. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @PenelopeSnuz77 I’ll have to try to remember the protein shake tip. Trying to eat was so rough, I bet that’d be easier
    So rough! I ate before I went last time and ended up throwing it all up. YUCK! So miserable! I'll stick to liquids next time. 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    @cmbt2, I didn't doubt you either, for what it's worth. That's great that current studies are showing it's ok for moms to eat a light meal during labor. I can see how that would help with morale and energy for pushing. I was more reacting to your comment about not allowing food during labor being "such a strange concept." Even though medical standards change over time, not eating during labor seems to still be the standard in a lot of places. It doesn't seem strange to me at all, even if it's not ideal.
     Because it is strange to me. I know very few people who had to fast during labor (one was at that hospital I mentioned and the other had spinal surgery as a teen so she’d have had to been put under general for a c section).

as this thread has shown, there’s no real standard on it anymore and is becoming more facility/provider specific 🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~