August 2019 Moms

NT/NIPT Discussion

Re: NT/NIPT Discussion

• @cato99 @Twinkiedoll My doc uses Natera too. I can't wait to get our results! I'm pretty sure it's another girl, but for the last week or so, I keep thinking it's a boy, no idea why.
  • Loading the player...
  • @hey_clever_girl “Baby chubbies are kinda weird and they pee in your/their face sometimes.” :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Besf description of boymom struggles ever. 🤣
  • @hey_clever_girl seriously, I wish I could like your comment a thousand times. It made me laugh and feel so much better!
  • @wabash15 - I think I'll have that conversation with him ... I really would like to know (not that it makes a difference) because then I can internalize with some other pronoun than It. Just feels creepy to me.

@hey_clever_girl - Dying @ baby chubbies :D I also don't know how to "boy," but I would have the ONLY boy on my side (there are 4 grand daughters) and we had the first girl on DH's side (there were 4 grandsons and since then another granddaughter). So it would be fun to have one of each since we are both the oldest, but the last to begin having children.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• SO I'm really irritated. I posted a few days ago that I called my OB office because my first tri screening hadn't been scheduled and I was worried bc I was almost out of my first tri. Monday they told me to wait until my appt yesterday to schedule it.  even though I thought it was weird I was like OK what do I know. Yesterday at my appt my dr was like wait, we haven't scheduled that yet??? and was like have them schedule it for this week. (TODAY ONLY) I get up front and am like she wants it scheduled for this week, and the front lady is like well youre actually too late to have it done... ill go ask the doctor.. well doctor is now with another patient so she cant ask and she said she would call me - that if I didn't hear anything by noon today to give the office a call.  Its almost noon so I have to call but I'm so irritated one because this is why I called on Monday and now its too late and I should just skip it all together. ughh.

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• @moon1417 - MURDER. Were you also the one who said you had to remind them to contact THEM to even get the results from the lab company and then call YOU back? This sounds bad. Are there any other OBs in the area that are taking patients? With DD, I was very unhappy with my treatment and was able to switch around the 16-week mark and it was pretty seamless. I am MUCH happier with this OB and my experience this time around has also been stellar. It just sounds like a badly run (i.e. bad communication) practice and you might get more irritation and frustrations as you progress. Just a thought <3
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @mamak225 nope that wasn't me about the lab.  I have been super happy until this mishap - as irritated as I am, I was never going to sign up for the first tri screen until I heard there are heart defect indicators.. so now I feel more guilty that I didn't push harder on Monday.  I just will do the fetal echocardiogram and hope that is enough to show anything. 

The doctor just called me directly - which made me feel a lot better. And she apologized that it somehow didn't get scheduled.  She did send a note back to make sure that we schedule a reg. ultrasound to check out my SCH because I want to have sex with my husband lol.  She didn't say that last part... haha

My plan is to just make sure I put the pressure on until everything I know that needs to be scheduled is scheduled.   My OB did such a good job with my C-Section w DD , I couldn't imagine not having her for this baby too. 

Me 32 <3 H 33

• Had my NT today, and dr said everything looks good, unfortunately have to wait until tuesday to have my blood drawn for the Panorama and then another week for the results. ugh! Question, when people mention "soft markers", what is that in reference to? the ultrasound or the blood work?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @moon1417 if it makes you feel better, 2 MFMs at my practice told me the first trip screening shows "little promise" as an kndicindi for heart defects. The reason people are starting to think they don't because many heart defects go hand in hand with things like Downs and trisomy. Neither MFM thought it was worth the time for me to do the first trimester screening for the sole purpose of heart defects, so I didn't. And I have 2 kids with heart defects. 

I didn't do any of the screening with dd2 at all because my quad screen with dd1 showed a high chance for Downs. We didn't investigate further because we were going to have her no matter what. Her A/S did not show any indication of a heart defect either, and we didn't find out until she was 3.5yo. sometimes I kick myself for not looking more into the abnormal quad screen but with what we thought was a normal AS and a few more scans down the road, we had  no reason to suspect a heart defect. We didn't know about her defect in time to get dd2 checked in utero, but we do now and the current baby will get checked and have extra monitoring.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @sourlemon wow that is crazy.. what kind of heart defects? Have we talked about it before I feel like I did at some point with someone?   It does let me rest my guilt a little knowing your practice told you it's not that great of a tool for indicating heart defects so thank you so much for sharing. 

Me 32 <3 H 33

• @moon1417 my older one had a large ASD (surgery was 9 months ago to close it). Little one has a PFO, which all babies have in utero but is supposed to close after birth. It will not be fixed and she has a few odd restrictions for her life (can't go deep sea diving, be a submariner, or be an astronaut are the weird ones).

There's some debate in the heart community whether this truly counts as a defect but our pediatric cardiologist says for sure it should be especially when looking at subsequent pregnancies. 

I also have a heart condition but it's not a defect. Just a really awesome electrical problem that I can drop dead from any time. It's an understatement to say we are a heart family lol. 

• @wabash15 got it! thank you! i dont know why im stressing so much..just want to get the NIPT and the results already!

• @sourlemon my dd has PFO too they said it was a defect for her too. She also has pulmonary stenosis and a bicuspid aorta (it should be tricuspid). She still has a slight PFO but mostly closed, but shouldn’t cause any harm they said. But she had to have surgery at 3wks to correct the pulmonary stenosis. I have a murmur.  When the pediatrician after delivery said she had one I was like yea?  And thank god she pushed for an echo bc the defects didn’t show up on an ekg or any other test.  Her only restriction is no heavy weight lifting.  

Me 32 <3 H 33

• I also have a murmur, as does my mom, aunt, and my grandma (did). Both my girls do, even after the ASD was fixed for my older. None of the boys in my family have murmurs so it's interesting lol. But I've had multiple echos that are normal so for me it's just Long QT Syndrome. 

• Just had the NIPT draw yesterday, hopefully this round isn't as slow as it was for our last pregnancy.  (16 days!)

My OB doesn't do the NT scan in conjunction with the NIPT.  I thought this was fairly normal last time, but I am seeing many more people saying they had both. Anyone else only have the NIPT? I kind of would like another u/s but doubt I'll get it. lol.
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• @velvetskyy, my midwife said that they didn’t see a reason to do both so I am only doing the NIPT. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• I asked this in the weekly questions, but also thought I'd ask here since there is a lot of talk about blood work and what not here.

Does anyone use LabCorp's patient portal? If so do you usually get lab results sooner on there or from your doctor? Or is it typically around the same time?
  • I just got a call that my NIPT results came back inconclusive.... freaking out. Did anyone else get inconclusive results? 
  • Mine didn't, but we were warned that an "inconclusive" result was a possibility and that it meant I probably had the blood draw too early or that there wasn't enough baby dna in the blood they drew to give definite results. They will probably ask you to go back and do another blood draw.
  • @Beauxbaton Your provider gets the results sooner than it gets uploaded to the website. They don't upload all results to the website for some reason. I have experience with them from when I was at my fertility clinic doing IVF. There were times also, when the Nurses at the clinic said my test results weren't back yet, but when calling LapCorp, they could tell me when the results were faxed to them. Sometimes that was helpful info to get my results quicker. Hope this helps! 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Impatiently waiting for Monday ...!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Impatiently waiting for Monday ...!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Crossing my fingers that we get our results today ... have a feeling it will probably be tomorrow or Monday though :( 
    **History in Spoiler**

• I can't wait to hear everyone else's results! I'm living vicariously through all of you - with a EDD of 8/31 and waiting for the NIPT draw until I'm 12+2, I might get my results last!
  • @zamora_spin HOW have you managed to not open it yet? Lol
  • @zamora_spin we were very clear that we were team green and we wanted the sex information masked but apparently they did not mask it when they put the results in the patient portal. Thank goodness I waited to talk to them before checking the test results... but now its just sitting there... I think I'm going to ask them to take it down.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 & @zamora_spin - I wouldn't think it would be *that* difficult to hide that info, I would think a good proportion of people don't want to know (or are waiting for gender or anatomy scans to "be surprised"). DH told ours that we don't want to know, but I'm going to find out anyway and let him be surprised at the scan on the 28th ;) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @wabash15 The office called me to tell me the results were good and the nurse asked if I wanted to know and I asked if she could put it in the portal so she put it in as a message. The actual report is in there too and I very carefully scrolled through part of it yesterday and stopped when I saw sex chromosomes mentioned (the part I saw said there are only two detected). Not totally sure if it says the sex on the report or not but I didn't go far enough to find out. 
    @oklahomak I don't know! I just have been very disciplined, plus I really don't have any preference at all or any strong feeling that it is one or the other, which helps. I think we are going to find out this weekend. I have envisioned making a short video of us finding out to share with family. 
    @MamaK225 It's definitely not hard to cover up. At my fertility clinic they covered up the sex of all our embryos so they didn't even know what we were transferring. 
  • @zamora_spin -  That was one of the reasons we didn't do PGS testing with our embryos. We had done a plethora of genetic testing, ourselves, and felt ok with any "risks" given the results and family history. I didn't feel right "knowing" when it was time to pick embryos to transfer, though DH swears *all* IVF babies are girls (we are friends with 7 couple who have been through it, and the reality is more like 50/50 LOL)
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225 I have a friend who has 6 embryos...all 6 are female. She said her husband was in shock when they got the results.  

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• We had the exact opposite happen our last pregnancy @wabash15.  We wanted to know but the nurse ticked the wrong box and they excluded the results.  It took an additional 2 weeks to report them, we ended up going in for an elective u/s since we wanted to know for my birthday.  I wish they would pay more attention for those who do or don't want to know.  My SIL didn't want to find out and they slipped for her too.
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• @dogmomma096 I’ll be bringing up the NIPT caboose with you!  EDD 0830 & I’ll hopefully have mine drawn at 12+4. 
  • I'm not having my draw done until Monday! So I'm also on the late results train. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @WinchesterGirl same! It’s really weird because we already knew DD was a girl and was low risk for at least a week by this point. And I’m going in for my NT test and NIPT blood draw Monday at 12w5d. I feel like I’m still in first trimester limbo when I should be more confident. 
  • @zamora_spin I would follow what you originally thought. Both of my 5 day embryos are girls