October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Ask your questions here! Whether they are for STM/STM+s to answer, they are TMI, or if you think they are dumb. 
TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @BumpAdmin Could we get a sticky, please?
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Allow me to start this off with a *kind of dumb* question that's been bugging me.... my rambunctious DD is constantly jumping on my lap, climbing all over me, stepping on me while I'm sitting on the couch, etc. And if it's not her then it's the dog. Is this in any way potentially harmful towards the pregnancy? My logical brain says no, but I'm a worrier.  Do you guys try to avoid having your kids/dogs climb all over you or is that unnecessary?
  • Loading the player...
  • Allow me to start this off with a *kind of dumb* question that's been bugging me.... my rambunctious DD is constantly jumping on my lap, climbing all over me, stepping on me while I'm sitting on the couch, etc. And if it's not her then it's the dog. Is this in any way potentially harmful towards the pregnancy? My logical brain says no, but I'm a worrier.  Do you guys try to avoid having your kids/dogs climb all over you or is that unnecessary?
    I don’t let them, but that’s because I try not have it happen, period. They still do, though, but I do try to avoid it. 

In theory, it’s fine until the uterus emerges. 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @theearlymajority I could say I try - but I have three large dogs, they usually win :) As for my 2.5 yo DD, she's just as rambunctious!!

I concur with @cmbt2, no real danger until later in the pregnancy.
  • Here is a random question but curious what is everyone's thoughts on running/HIIT workouts when pregnant? I've always been of the mindset that whatever you currently do is safe to continue as long as you aren't experiencing any complications but has anyone heard differently? Of course I just joined Orange Theory a month ago and now I am pregnant. I am in shape and regularly work out but wondering if this is too much....
  • @jd614 I have friends that have run marathons while pregnant. The general rules that I’ve heard are:
    - don’t get your heart rate or temp too high. You’ll have to ask your OB what those values are
    - don’t do anything new. So, like, don’t decide one day when you wake up you want to run a marathon when you’re not doing 5ks (not saying this is you, just a generalized scenario)
    - listen to your body. If you get tired, stop. Don’t force yourself through it

My only thought is to double check with your provider on their thoughts, your risk status, and any limitations they may impose. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    @jd614 I have friends that have run marathons while pregnant. The general rules that I’ve heard are:
    - don’t get your heart rate or temp too high. You’ll have to ask your OB what those values are
    - don’t do anything new. So, like, don’t decide one day when you wake up you want to run a marathon when you’re not doing 5ks (not saying this is you, just a generalized scenario)
    - listen to your body. If you get tired, stop. Don’t force yourself through it

My only thought is to double check with your provider on their thoughts, your risk status, and any limitations they may impose. 
    Ok good so that's basically what I have heard too. Going to ask my OB when I go in for my first appointment next week. :)
  • @cdnrunning @cmbt2 thank you! Gonna be a constant uphill battle I fear but at least I can stop worrying for now.
  • @cdnrunning @cmbt2 thank you! Gonna be a constant uphill battle I fear but at least I can stop worrying for now.
    I hear you on the uphill battle. At least for me, once my stomach started to be noticeably bigger, he understood not to jump even if he didn’t know why (we never actually explicitly told him he was getting a baby brother until about a week prior. Oops 😂🙈)
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @jd614 I did crossfit until I was roughly 33 weeks. I stopped running in the second trimester because of the way she was sitting on my bladder always made me uncomfortable - if it weren't for that, I would have continued running. 
  • @jd614 I did crossfit until I was roughly 33 weeks. I stopped running in the second trimester because of the way she was sitting on my bladder always made me uncomfortable - if it weren't for that, I would have continued running. 
    ok great to know thank you!
  • jd614 said:
    Here is a random question but curious what is everyone's thoughts on running/HIIT workouts when pregnant? I've always been of the mindset that whatever you currently do is safe to continue as long as you aren't experiencing any complications but has anyone heard differently? Of course I just joined Orange Theory a month ago and now I am pregnant. I am in shape and regularly work out but wondering if this is too much....
    jd614 said:
    Here is a random question but curious what is everyone's thoughts on running/HIIT workouts when pregnant? I've always been of the mindset that whatever you currently do is safe to continue as long as you aren't experiencing any complications but has anyone heard differently? Of course I just joined Orange Theory a month ago and now I am pregnant. I am in shape and regularly work out but wondering if this is too much....
    I am in a similar position. I just started doing body pump and step aerobic classes a month ago and I really want to keep it up. I ran my first half back in october and just did a 5K two days before I got my BFP, and I really want to keep running as well. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Okay, when is everyone telling the big news? I would rather wait to confirm that everything is in the right place and hear a heartbeat before we tell even close family. Then, we'll announce in a broader sense after the first trimester. Does anyone have any cute announcement ideas?
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• elle-0409 said:
    Okay, when is everyone telling the big news? I would rather wait to confirm that everything is in the right place and hear a heartbeat before we tell even close family. Then, we'll announce in a broader sense after the first trimester. Does anyone have any cute announcement ideas?
    We did Harry Potter themed for DS2. I piled some books, two wands, and baby shoes, and captioned it “the magic continues... spring 2017.” I found the idea on google because I wanted HP themed. We announced on Halloween (around 13-14w and I had my NIPT results in). For DS1, I posted an ultrasound photo on my H’s birthday and said “happy birthday, daddy!”
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • elle-0409elle-0409 member
    edited January 2019
    @cmbt2 Oh my gosh, I love those! That ultrasound idea is so precious! I was thinking about a HP theme, too.
    @ceclarlinetlo I'm so sorry for your losses. It makes total sense to tell people so that you have a support system in place. That's why I keep waffling on whether or not to at least tell my mom. We are so close (and on top of that, she's a grief counselor) so it would make sense. We'll see how strong my willpower is.
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• As to when to tell, it varies. Some people know already. I’ll tell my boss in 2-3 weeks. I’ll need to let a few other people at work know within the next few weeks as they’re planning travel schedules now for the year and this is going to throw a wrench in their plans to have me travel in the summer and fall- I go on travel restrictions around 30/32 weeks
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @elle-0409 totally agree about wanting to see a heartbeat & everything in the right place first. I’m going to hold out till the first ultrasound at 8 weeks to tell friends and my parents, but DHs parents are visiting us from out of town next weekend and we want to tell them in person, so it’ll probably have to be then, even though I’d prefer to wait in an ideal world.
  •  @ceclarlinetlo I feel the same way!  I've told my sisters, close girl-friends and parents.  I'm urging my DH to tell his family too.  They never got a chance to be excited for the last two losses and I'd like for them to get that chance this time.  But I'm leaving it up to him.  I'll probably tell my boss after the 8 week ultrasound so we can start making work arrangements.  We won't officially announce it till 12 weeks though, if i can wait that long.  I'm horrible with keeping secrets.  :#
  • @ceclarlinetlo I'm sorry about your losses. I didn't think about it at first but that's what I did as well once I found out. Called my 3 sisters because (in the worst case) i would tell them and rely on them so saw no harm in sharing. Everyone grieves differently and I know I'm the sort that needs people coming from a large family. 

@cmbt2 that Harry Potter ones sounds adorable!
  • In March we'll be in town for a wedding and will give box presents to both sets of parents to announce. My closest Aunt will be getting a wine bottle with that tricky label (babyfeet instead of barefoot). 

As for social media, we'll post a pic after the reveal to parents that likely will all be focused on our dogs haha. 
  • I have a question! Has anyone had a home birth before? What are your thoughts about it? I really want to do it but am nervous after reading about the cons. Any advice or opinions are welcomed!
  • lbedolla said:
    I have a question! Has anyone had a home birth before? What are your thoughts about it? I really want to do it but am nervous after reading about the cons. Any advice or opinions are welcomed!
    I know people who have. They were all low risk and had attendants. 

I’m high risk, so anything outside of the hospital (or in my case, a birth center within a hospital) is out of the question. I’m not allowed to go into labor on my own this time, either, lest I want a car baby.

i think I saw someone just intro’d who did a home water birth? 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • I would love to do a home birth, but this go around I will *hopefully* be a VBAC so hospital it is for me too.  
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• @jd614 I'd say that Orange Theory is ok to keep doing if it's already a level of workouts that you're used to, and also that you just listen to your body and back off when necessary! I know that in the first tri last time I didn't change my workouts necessarily, but took more rest time and rest days. I lifted heavy up until I was about 38 weeks! 
  • @cmbt2 -- Love the HP announcement!! That sounds *adorable*.

TW - losses discussed

@elle-0409 I have already told the people who I would need support from if I things don’t go well. When we see a heartbeat I will tell family, and we’ll do a social media announcement sometime after that.

I am pretty vocal about my losses, and will be again if it comes to that. I know other people prefer to keep it private, but I just need people to know when it happens to me. For me It feels better to let it out. I can’t grieve well if I feel like its a “dirty secret” if that makes sense.

We waited to tell anyone I was pregnant the first time so they found I was pregnant and miscarried at the same time and that’s a horrible memory for me. With our second loss we told others early and even though it still hurt to tell people we lost that baby, 4 years later remembering the excitement people had for that baby at first is a pleasant memory.

edit:typo
    This is my take, too. I'm not telling everyone yet, but I've definitely been pretty casual about not keeping this pregnancy a secret. It felt awful to me to have to mourn in secret.

@lbedolla I know about five moms who have tried for a home birth and only one who succeeded -- the other four needed emergency hospital transfers by ambulance mid-labor or immediately afterward. It's definitely possible and the one mom I know who succeeded loved it, though.
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @elle-0409 I have already told my family and one close friend. I really only wanted to tell my sister but my niece was evesdropping on our phone conversation and pitched an absolute fit so I told my family since I wanted give them the big news. 

With our son we didn’t announce to family until after the first ultrasound, I didn’t tell work until I was 20ish weeks and didn’t do a social media announcement until after our maternity shoot so about 36ish weeks. We will probably announce sooner this time. 

As for theme here it will most likely be a Disney themed one. I just renewed my annual pass so I’ve been thinking of doing something in the park. 

@cmbt2 I loooooovvvveeee Harry Potter themed anouncements. So cute!!
  • @ceclarlinetlo My birth center does VBAC. I'm not sure they do VBAC home births, but have you thought about going to a birth center? 

@lbedolla I  had an at home water birth and am so glad I did! 

We worked with a birthing center and paid extra for them to bring a nurse who could administer oxygen, some drugs, etc., just in case. I felt so good to be in my own home, and able to crawl right into my own bed after, and get clean in my own shower. I was so glad I had only the people I invited to the birth around me (one midwife, one student midwife, the nurse, my husband, and my dogs). There were no strangers and there was no revolving door. Also, sitting and lying down was (I’m going to say the word) painful for me. I don’t understand how women wait out labor at home and then get in a car to travel to the hospital, it blows my mind! You go ladies! Not to mention, I was extremely hopeful to not need any interventions. I believe that not being in a hospital setting helped with this.

Of course, I know birthing this way is not for everyone, I'm sure even the car ride to the hospital is different for many. Also, I can’t say all at home births go perfectly or even that my next one (fingers crossed) will. But, I wouldn’t want to do it any other way if I knew it was a safe option given the health of myself and my baby at go time. My DH preferred it too!

• @nyshopgirl152 - We don’t have a birthing center in town 😞. If I can go into labor naturally this time, I plan to stay home as long as possible. I only live a mile from the hospital. I had to be induced for making dangerous levels of amniotic fluid last time, and if that happens again I might just ask for a C section. I have heard planned C sections are easier to recover from than emergnecy C sections after full labor and an hour of pushing. 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• @nyshopgirl152 - We don’t have a birthing center in town 😞. If I can go into labor naturally this time, I plan to stay home as long as possible. I only live a mile from the hospital. I had to be induced for making dangerous levels of amniotic fluid last time, and if that happens again I might just ask for a C section. I have heard planned C sections are easier to recover from than emergnecy C sections after full labor and an hour of pushing. 
    Yes, I’ve been told by many that planned is much easier recovery wise, even if you go into labor on your own and then they do the section instead of having you labor the entire time. 

From what I know about VBACs-
    you have to be 18m from the c section before getting pregnant. You cannot labor at home past a certain point, and it must be in a place with a surgical suite that is equiped to do a c section. Both states I’ve birthed in have a requirement that an anesthesiologist be on standby at the hospital (so not on call at home) in the case of needing to go in for a RSC. You can see if you can find a midwife with admitting privileges for a vbac
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    @nyshopgirl152 - We don’t have a birthing center in town 😞. If I can go into labor naturally this time, I plan to stay home as long as possible. I only live a mile from the hospital. I had to be induced for making dangerous levels of amniotic fluid last time, and if that happens again I might just ask for a C section. I have heard planned C sections are easier to recover from than emergnecy C sections after full labor and an hour of pushing. 
    Yes, I’ve been told by many that planned is much easier recovery wise, even if you go into labor on your own and then they do the section instead of having you labor the entire time. 

you have to be 18m from the c section before getting pregnant. You cannot labor at home past a certain point, and it must be in a place with a surgical suite that is equiped to do a c section. Both states I’ve birthed in have a requirement that an anesthesiologist be on standby at the hospital (so not on call at home) in the case of needing to go in for a RSC. You can see if you can find a midwife with admitting privileges for a vbac
    I was just over 2 years from my CS when I got pregnant so I am good from that point. MY OB is super VBAC friendly, and she told me last year that I am a good candidate for one so I am planning to stay with her. I also love that I have her personal cell number so I can just text her when I have a question or problem instead of calling the clinic and leaving a message. 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• cmbt2 said:
    @nyshopgirl152 - We don’t have a birthing center in town 😞. If I can go into labor naturally this time, I plan to stay home as long as possible. I only live a mile from the hospital. I had to be induced for making dangerous levels of amniotic fluid last time, and if that happens again I might just ask for a C section. I have heard planned C sections are easier to recover from than emergnecy C sections after full labor and an hour of pushing. 

I was just over 2 years from my CS when I got pregnant so I am good from that point. MY OB is super VBAC friendly, and she told me last year that I am a good candidate for one so I am planning to stay with her. I also love that I have her personal cell number so I can just text her when I have a question or problem instead of calling the clinic and leaving a message. 
    That’s good!

i also know inductions are usually off the table with VBACs, so that may be something to ask about down the road (if you haven’t thought about it already)
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Can I be the odd ball who actually enjoyed her induction way more than her non-inducted labor? 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @ceclarlinetlo I so hope you get the VBAC birth you want.  You have amazing strength and I admire your courage!

At what point did you learn that you were making too much amniotic fluid?

• cmbt2 said:
    Can I be the odd ball who actually enjoyed her induction way more than her non-inducted labor? 

———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• @ceclarlinetlo I so hope you get the VBAC birth you want.  You have amazing strength and I admire your courage!

At what point did you learn that you were making too much amniotic fluid?

Thank you! 

At 37 weeks I was measuring 43 weeks so we did an ultrasound to make sure he wasn’t 10 pounds. He was measuring about 7.5 pounds but my AFI was at 25 and his cord was showing hypercoiling because he had so much fluid to move around in. At my 39 week appointment I was measuring 44 weeks and my AFI was up to 27. My OB told me that my single deepest vertical pocket had more fluid than some ladies have in their whole gestation sac total lol. It was oddly impressive. I’ll put a pic of the enormous belly in a spoiler below. 

This was 2 days before my induction. 

———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• @ceclarlinetlo I’m impressed, haha. How many of us can say we know what it is like feeling 44 weeks pregnant. I’ll be thinking of you around 30 weeks. I hope you get some better news this time. I’m so glad you have an OB that cares about your desires. 

@cmbt2 what was the best part of being induced, for you? I feel like the bad stories are the only ones you ever hear about, in regards to inductions.

• @ceclarlinetlo I’m impressed, haha. How many of us can say we know what it is like feeling 44 weeks pregnant. I’ll be thinking of you around 30 weeks. I hope you get some better news this time. I’m so glad you have an OB that cares about your desires. 

@cmbt2 what was the best part of being induced, for you? I feel like the bad stories are the only ones you ever hear about, in regards to inductions.

With my first, I went into labor the night before my scheduled induction. I went to bed at 8:30p and woke up at 11:30p in early labor. Active labor started at 3:30a, and he was born at 1:15p. I only slept for about an hour and half after my epidural was placed. 20 minutes of pushing. My back labor was intense, to say the least. I was so, so tired, and it really messed with me. I never had a break between contractions, and breathing during them was extremely difficult.

With my induction, I had none of that. I went in at night—he failed the weekly NST rather spectacularly. They ran pit at a 2 all night while monitoring DS2. They gave me something to sleep, and it was amazing. They started to up the pit every 30 minutes. I felt nothing. My MW broke my water at 9:50a. I felt nothing for another hour. Then things got real. Turns out, I went into labor on my own. The pit + breaking water jump started it. He was born at 1:04, less than 15 minutes after my epidural was placed (they didn’t think to check before hand..), only 2 pushes. No stitches. No back labor. I had a break between contractions. I could breathe during contractions. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt12 I totally agree. It was way better getting induced.
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)