1st Trimester

Prenatal vitamin help.

What is a good vitamin. Is it better to have a good based one? I have seen good things about Honest Company. 

Re: Prenatal vitamin help.

• Personally, I would stay away from store brands and random brands, as you never know what you're going to get. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/03/gnc-target-wal-mart-walgreens-accused-of-selling-fake-herbals/?utm_term=.22c53e805e3e

I don't know anything about the Honest Company's vitamins. I take Nature Made Prenatal Multi+DHA. 

What's important and makes a prenatal different from a regular multivitamon is to have one with DHA and folic acid or folate (preferably folate, I plan to switch when I run out), which are important for the baby's development, and iron, which is important for you since many pregnant women wind up deficient.
  • I highly recommend talking to your OB before starting a prenatal vitamin. Your OB should run blood tests to see what specific vitamins you need and recommend one from there. You may need a multivitamin or just take folic acid supplements. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It used to be recommended that you don’t take one with iron to start, but I’m not sure if that’s changed. The thinking was so they knew if you were actually anemic or not? This is a few years old. 

I take garden of life and supplement with methylfolate. 

And dont wait on at least taking a folic acid supplement. That should be started as soon as possible. Waiting until you see an OB is too late to start that 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Rainbow Light is a really good brand. I take the minis because I’m terrible at swallowing pills and supplement with Omega3/Vitamin D mix. 
  • I’m still taking my fertility blend, Ready, Set, Go, but I’ll switch to something cheaper once I run out. I’ve heard good things about Rainbow Light. 
  • I just ordered Bellamins. I like that it is a drink, uses methylfolate, and has different formulas for each trimester. I'm just hoping it tastes ok. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love New Chapter. Food-based :)