August 2019 Moms

FFFC 1/11

2»

Re: FFFC 1/11

• My specific comment was in regards to anti doctor rhetoric that I think is extremely detrimental to the health of mothers and babies. There’s a lot of it and it wasn’t specifically related to home birth. Yes birth is natural and lots of women can birth at home and it’s this everyday event blah blah blah. But lots of women and babies didn’t make it out of labor and delivery alive and I think we need to realize that doctors are making the decision they feel will result in the best outcome for mother and baby. 

Are there exceptions? Probably. But to say, “I’ve heard such stories and I’ve seen such things!” Doesn’t change my mind. Anecdotal evidence isn’t necessary scientific evidence.
  • @lilmamabebe3 I agree. I don't understand why people would risk the life and health of their baby. Yes, it's a natural process. And yes, women have done it for thousands and thousands of years without hospitals. However, many of them or their babies died. Things can and do go wrong. And in those cases, seconds count.

Here We have this (theoretically) great facility called the birth centre. Staffed by midwives, and apparently it's an amazing place to labour and deliver. However, it's a 7 min drive, lights and sirens to the nearest L&D hospital.
    So, by the time the midwife realizes there's a problem, calls 911, an ambulance is dispatched and responds, it could be 15 min before we arrive on scene (could be shorter or longer. Depends where the closest available unit is). Then even if we literally just grab and go, it's another 10 min to get you out of the centre, into our ambulance. Then a 7 min drive, and at least 5 min to get through the hospital up to the L&D floor. So you're looking at potentially almost 40 min to get you to the OR.

Or, you could deliver at the hospital, where when the nurse/doctor/midwife realizes there is a problem, you are wheeled 1 minute down the hallway to the OR.

I dunno. Maybe I've just seen too many things go wrong. I don't know statistics on complications, But we get called pretty much daily to the birth centre...
    "I don't understand why people would risk the life and health of their baby. So, if I am risking the life and health of my baby that is sort of someone saying I am a pretty shit mom, huh? I'm not putting any words in anyone's mouth. I could say the same thing about people who get epidurals. The rate if complications goes up with medication. So, I'm not sure why those people would risk the health of their baby to avoid some pain. But, I think we can all agree that is a pretty shitty thing to say. So, you don't assume I am putting my baby at risk and I won't assume you are putting your baby at risk. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My specific comment was in regards to anti doctor rhetoric that I think is extremely detrimental to the health of mothers and babies. There’s a lot of it and it wasn’t specifically related to home birth. Yes birth is natural and lots of women can birth at home and it’s this everyday event blah blah blah. But lots of women and babies didn’t make it out of labor and delivery alive and I think we need to realize that doctors are making the decision they feel will result in the best outcome for mother and baby. 

Are there exceptions? Probably. But to say, “I’ve heard such stories and I’ve seen such things!” Doesn’t change my mind. Anecdotal evidence isn’t necessary scientific evidence.
    I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm tell you why I made my decision. Lots of doctors are doing exactly as you say. They are not all monsters. The vast majority are doing what they do because they love moms and babies. There are some that are not though, so they are still humans that should be questioned at times instead of blindly followed at all times. Also, anecdotal evidence is being used here against home birth. I agree that it is not scientific evidence. So, lots not use it to promote either opinion. (Not that you are necessarily doing that, but some others are in this thread)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • zamoraspinzamoraspin member
    edited January 2019
    Devil's advocate, @olivemomma, *TW death and terrible things for moms - the maternal death rate in the U.S. is on the rise and my understanding is that is due to hospitals, not home births. There are also bad things that can and do happen in hospitals that are unlikely to impossible at home. Things like staph infections and other dangerous infections are very common at hospitals. It's also not a given that at a hospital you will receive high quality care - it's not uncommon for doctors and nurses to miss the early signs of HELLP, even when a loved one is advocating for the mom. end TW* As a FTM with a family history of difficult births I'm not planning a home birth. However, for low risk pregnancies, especially for moms who have histories of uncomplicated deliveries, I can see why home birth is more appealing and even arguably safer. eta words
  • @mrsstuessy You’re having a hard time with opinions that were literally made in a thread titled “unpopular opinions”. You’re right, there are all kinds of risks and when it comes to labor and delivery and as a parent we can choose which risks we feel comfortable with and which ones we don’t. And you can have personal opinions about other risks. No one attacked other choices, all comments stayed within personal opinions based on research, feelings, and anecdotes. 

Youre right, no one should blindly follow advice that we don’t feel comfortable with. If someone is choosing a hospital birth, it is so important to find a doctor and hospital they feel comfortable and safe with. Just as someone would choose a midwife and/or doula they feel comfortable with. Because not all doctors are created equal and not all midwives and doulas are created equal. 

However, I do agree with other comments, that a blanket mistrust in all doctors can have some dangerous results, which extends beyond pregnancy. 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Devil's advocate, @olivemomma, *TW death and terrible things for moms - the maternal death rate in the U.S. is on the rise and my understanding is that is due to hospitals, not home births. There are also bad things that can and do happen in hospitals that are unlikely to impossible at home. Things like staph infections and other dangerous infections are very common at hospitals. It's also not a given that at a hospital you will receive high quality care - it's not uncommon for doctors and nurses to miss the early signs of HELLP, even when a loved one is advocating for the mom. end TW* As a FTM with a family history of difficult births I'm not planning a home birth. However, for low risk pregnancies, especially for moms who have histories of uncomplicated deliveries, I can see why home birth is more appealing and even arguably safer. eta words
    Your opinion is skewed here. There are more complications in a hospital setting because there are far more births in a hospital setting. also, you are more likely to already be in the hospital for complicated births, or transferred from a birthing center for complications.  I am not sure where you got your understanding from. 

• olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited January 2019
    I think we can all agree that pregnancy and birthing a baby is no small task and complications can arise no matter where you choose to give birth. I don’t think anyone here has argued otherwise. And well I may feel very strongly one way, I also believe it’s your body, your baby, and your choice. We have to agree to disagree.

However, To advocate for @chillycanadian - it seems she has first hand witnessed what can go wrong when away from a hospital. And I completely agree with her that moments count. That’s not to say hospitals and doctors are perfect - of course they aren’t. But to completely deny you aren’t taking some risk by choosing to remove yourself from that environment is naive. And because you have had a previous uncomplicated birth is no certainty your next birth will be the same. Every birth is different. I also think it is dangerous to assert it is safer to give birth at home. 

but we all have to make that choice for ourselves and our babes and I hope everyone has a safe delivery no matter where you are...
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @zamora_spin I wasn’t trying to advocate that all births are safest in a hospital setting. Honestly, I have to think about how I feel about that statement. Obviously I’m a proponent of a hospital birth, but I’m sure there are instances in hindsight where a mother did catch some infection she may not have caught at home or a birthing center (or a different hospital for that matter). 

and birth definitely isn’t just a little pain - I loved that epidural. Mad props to moms who go without, seriously I consider that rock star status and then some, but there is no shame in needing some relief either!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @deecherise I was thinking the same darn thing! 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited January 2019
    Eta; Ahem @deecherise She did intro herself back in December. 

In other news, I'm breaking my own UO by posting in here wayyyy after Friday ;) I found this and it's pretty interesting https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jmwh.12172
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• My bad, @suzycupcake. Let me rephrase and say that I resent that she's been inactive except to start drama.

I don't think home births are wrong. I don't think hospital births are wrong. I think it's down to making a choice that makes sense for you and your family. I'm having a low intervention hospital birth because this is my first child and I don't currently have the resources or support network necessary to have a home birth. But if I ever have the opportunity to have a home birth, I just might. The only "shit moms" are those that neglect and abuse their children. I don't feel birthing choices play into that dichotomy.
  • I find it ironic that is board has been, thankfully, mostly drama free, and the big hullabaloo starts in the Flame Free Friday Confession thread.
  • @olivemomma You are right - I apologize, I was misremembering the context of what you said. You were sharing an opinion from another thread that “of a million things can go wrong during childbirth that can threaten both the baby and mom so why would you purposefully place yourself away from the immediate help you or your baby may need??” You didn’t say that was your opinion. Implied in that (agin, not necessarily yours) opinion is that hospital births are safer. It’s like saying sure you could have someone other than a dentist remove your tooth, or go skydiving without a parachute, etc, but why would you? Again - not saying that is what you are saying, that’s just what that opinion is implying and that is what I was responding to.

And the first time I heard someone I know was having a home birth my reaction was similar to that above opinion, but I’ve since listened more to what motivates people to consider non-hospital births and I can see their points.

@suzycupcake Good study find, always presenting the facts!
  • @mrosek91 I don't even think this is that big a deal. Someone just stirring the pot and twisting everyone's words and then insinuating epidural moms are shitty. Whatever girl, bye. (not you, you please stay).
  • Yes, clearly this is not the place for me. It's disappointing because I am so close to my April 2017 group and they have been so supportive and wonderful for over 2 years now. I wish that had worked out again for me. But, crying over my computer in the morning because apparently people think I am a horrible mom isn't good for me or my baby. So, I will wish you all the best and excuse myself. Also, I absolutely DO NOT think that moms who get epidurals are shitty. I was trying to prove a point and I regret stooping that low. I apologize. I promise I am not twisting words though. Your words were incredibly hurtful and truly caused me so much sadness over the last 24 hours. I just wanted to share another view, because honestly there are an awful lot of us out there these days. Also, I am not naive. I have spent the last 3 years studying, reading and attending births as a doula, friend and mom. I understand there are risks from every angle because pregnancy, birth and life has unavoidable risks. I am able to see risks on both sides though. Home has risks and hospital has different risks and then there are some risks that are unavoidable no matter where you are because life is a little scary. I am confident in my decision, but it is still sad to be treated as a crazy lady who is naive and doesn't get how things work. 

Again, best of luck to all of you. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @deecherise Harden is my favorite player in the whole league. I love that gif so much and use it all the time. 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsstuessy no one thinks you are a bad mom. I hope we can all agree to disagree, no need to panic and jump ship. No one said you were crazy either. If those are your thoughts on this, stand up for what you believe in, don’t let the fact that no one agrees push you down. We may have very different opinions on this topic, but I’m sure we relate on others. Wouldn’t life be so boring if we just all agreed with each other all the time?  No one would get to see another opinion, or think about things another way. Sorry you feel this way, not sorry for disagreeing. 

• My confession is that if one more person says "I hope this one is a boy!", I might need legal representation.  
    OMFG SAME BUT GIRL. I am so annoyed. 
  • @lilmamabebe3 - while I'm sorry you're hearing it too, I'm glad it's not one-gender related!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @peachy0709 @lilmamabebe3 My mom and and a couple cousins are convinced I'm carrying a girl, for whatever reason. So much so that they are irritated with my gender neutral approach to everything that I've purchased/put on the registry. "Why is everything gray and seafoam?" "You could get a couple dresses, just in case."

I may have this baby in prison because it is so f***ing irritating. Even if the child is a girl...I'm not super into frilly stuff, and my main priority for newborn clothes is comfort/washability.
  • My MIL keeps saying that she knows this is a boy and has started picking out boy names. Every time I see her now she gives me boy names, asks how her grandson is doing, and ask if my shirt is maternity. She is driving me crazy. 

• There has not been a girl in my husbands family in 3 generations (FIL one of 3 boys, DH one of 6 boys, current son/nephew count 5). My SILs and I are all in a silent competition to finally give my MIL a girl even though she says she doesn't need/want one.

Even with all that I hate when it comes from other people. Either "of course it's a boy this time." or "are you finally going to have the girl?" No one knows I'm pregnant yet, and I've still gotten it a ton from people when I mention we are planning on having more kids. My favorite -  "Oh, so your having more because you want to try for a girl."
    NO!! Not that it's any of your business, but we're having more because we want a big family.
  • @zamora_spin I am actually  switching dental practices d/t similar conversational tions around loss/IF. I just can’t face saying something, so clearly the logical thing is to switch practices altogether. 
  • @database6 My MIL is doing the exact same thing. She only likes boys, and I'm hoping so hard it's a girl just for that reason (we're fine with either).

@deecherise Why, why, WHY do people assume they are the god of baby sex identification?! It's so annoying.
  • @database6 my MIL asks me that about every single thing I wear, too! “Is that maternity?” Another thing she always does is refer to the baby as “my baby” as in, HER baby. I love her but she drives me nuts when I’m pregnant.
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @zamora_spin the IF success guilt can be so strong. You know how they feel and you don't want to hurt them. hugs
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17