August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 1/13

What questions do you have this week? 

Re: Weekly Questions 1/13

• jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited January 2019
    Is anyone on Heparin for RPL?  I have a couple questions to PM!
  • For Mums with twins, did you have them in separate cribs from day 1 or sharing a single one? Recommendations on which arrangement works better?
  • Loading the player...
  • @nimo-ad for my twins they slept together till almost 10 months, we tried to separate them at 6 months and no one slept for 3 nights... I know other twin moms who have them separate.... I know they don't interact a ton in those first few months but my twins would always find each other in the middle of the night even if they started on other sides of the bassinet or crib. I think its a personal preference thing but mine were always happier together, they still share a room. I figure start together and you can always separate later. plus when they are little a crib or bassinet is plenty of room. Also the bigger thing is keeping them on the same schedules. SCHEDULES, SCHEDULES, SCHEDULES is the only way to survive twins. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @wabash15 thank you so much for that.. I've really been conflicted since we plan to have them in our room for the first couple of months, but the space will be too crammed up with 2 cribs..with that information, I'll just get one crib and see how long we can use it...
    Also, about the schedules, thank you! I'll keep that in mind..
    Did you breastfeed them exclusively?
  • @nimo-ad our twins were in our room for the first 6 months. really the only thing you need 2 of to start with are carseats... everything after that, see what they like... as for BF, I had to supplement some in the first 2 months while I was getting my supply up, after that they were EBF till 6 months, we did have to add some powdered formula to the BM to up the calories here and there. I will say it is possible to EBF twins, but it is a SHIT TON of work unless you tend towards over production. So my advice is if you want to do it, go for it, but do what you need to for your sanity/sleep and if that means a little formula or full on formula that's ok too. For me I am not a super producer so I pumped every 3 hours around the clock (literally) for 9 months, on top of nursing and was just barely able to keep up. It was important to me so I did it, but looking back I would have given myself more permission to supplement so that I could actually sleep. (even if the twins were sleeping I was up pumping). Really what I tell any twin mom, all you have to do especially in the beginning is feed the babies and yourself, and change some diapers, everything on top of that is a bonus... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• nimo-adnimo-ad member
    edited January 2019
    @wabash15 you are a gem! Being a FTM I'll have to figure out what end of the production scale I'm on once they are here. I would also really love to EBF for the first 6 months, but you've given me so many great options to work with, we'll see what works, Thank you! Thank you!
  • @nimo-ad any time. if you have questions feel free to message me.  Twins are a wonderful blessing and a hell of a challenge. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 I will definitely PM you with a ton of them..Hugs 
  • Has anyone been to the dentist since getting KU? I had a cleaning last week, and have an old filling that needs to be redone. It doesn’t hurt but I don’t want to wait until it does. From what I’ve read, I should wait until second tri, even though the local numbing stuff is safe for baby? I plan to ask my OB on Thurs, just wasn’t sure if anyone else has had dental work done.
  • @dogmomma096 I had a cavity or two done with my other pregnancies and it was not an issue (though I can't remember how far along I was...)
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @dogmomma096 just for a cleaning. I try to put off all drilling until after the baby is here if it's a small enough issue. You don't want to go in 3rd tri if you can avoid it because laying on your back for long periods is bad. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• From what I can tell there’s some overlap between NIPT and NT but they each provide detection of some additional conditions the other does not. Is it reasonable/common to do both for AMA moms? We won’t be going to a regular OB for a couple more weeks so I’m just wondering what to expect/push for. We transferred a PGS normal embryo but are pro as much testing as makes sense given my history and being AMA. 
  • @zamora_spin I am AMA too and I asked my ob office if it's a choice between NIPT and NT, and they said most people choose to do both. It was only my intake so I didn't ask about cost/insurance at that time...but sounds like it's pretty normal to get both when you're AMA. At least in their office. 
  • mrosek91mrosek91 member
    edited January 2019
    So this isn't a pregnancy question, but...
    Anyone able to change their profile pic from the app? I want something a little more personal, and every time I hit choose pic, it takes me back to the take a pic screen.

Nevermind, I decided to not be lazy, and just went to my computer. Enjoy my blondies!
  • cato99cato99 member
    edited January 2019
    @zamora_spin my impression is that NIPT is essentially delayed PGS, so that test would be redundant since it won’t give you any new info. But it’s a non-invasive blood draw so if you want extra certainty it can’t hurt to do it (especially if you have insurance coverage)—there’s a slightly higher risk of false positives with NIPT than PGS apparently tho. I did both with my last pregnancy but my embryo was from a fresh transfer and not PGS tested. I would ask for the NT regardless since it’s always nice to see the baby 😃
  • deecherisedeecherise member
    edited January 2019
    @zamora_spin I am doing both because that is what my doctor advised, since NIPT can sometimes indicate abnormalities that aren't necessarily due to trisomy (can be a heart defect). I'm not AMA, but I have no idea of what the father's family medical history is, so insurance will cover it.

Plus I'm greedy and I want to see the baby again lol.
  • I woke up with a sore throat and sinus congestion. Normally I would take meds but trying to avoid taking anything right now especially in first trimester. Anyone recommend any cold remedies? 
  • What is the nuchal scan like? I assume it’s an abdominal ultrasound? I’ve only had transvaginal US so far so just curious... 
  • @heml its just an abdominal US. There are a few specific things they look for so if baby is not being cooperative for certain views it can take a little while otherwise its usually pretty quick (15min). 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• zamoraspinzamoraspin member
    edited January 2019
    @cato99 In theory PGS and NIPT test for the same things. But the biggest controversies over PGS in general are (1) the cells come from the part of the embryo that will be the placenta, not the eta part that will become the baby, and there is a chance there is a difference; (2) PGS is not 100% accurate and sometimes different labs come out with different answers on the same embryo. I imagine dividing errors could also occur after PGS testing, especially in us older moms who have less energized mitochondria, but I don't know that for sure. I have a fair amount of faith in PGS, otherwise we wouldn't have done it (or IVF) at all, but I have a history of RPL and I know that I need to also have a good NIPT to really get excited about the pregnancy. Basically I'm a nervous nelly.
  • sw1122sw1122 member
    edited January 2019
    Is there an official recommendation on topical salicylic acid? I've read online that only a small amount gets absorbed through the skin, but to avoid it to be safe. I asked my OB and she said that I could use skincare products with salicylic acid throughout my pregnancy; in fact she said that I could use as much as I wanted. Has anyone else's doctors provided any feedback? Thanks!
  • I woke up with a sore throat and sinus congestion. Normally I would take meds but trying to avoid taking anything right now especially in first trimester. Anyone recommend any cold remedies? 
    I’ve had sinus issues since getting pregnant it seems. You can gargle with warm salt water, get some Vick’s Vapor Rub, use a humidifier, and take some (pasteurized) honey. Cough drops that numb the throat are okay too, just maybe stay away from the herbal ones. I like to cut the shower on as hot as it goes and just steam myself for a bit too. Careful not to get too hot for baby though. 

I hope you feel better soon!!

• @sw1122 - Dr. Google is telling me it's safe, but I feel like I've also seen places that say it's best to avoid.  I think this falls in the personal comfort category.  I personally would not, but I also do things that others don't. 

Some sources: 
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114665/#__sec4title
    https://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc
    https://parenting.firstcry.com/articles/salicylic-acid-in-pregnancy/

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @Babylovecali - all the things @database6 said.  Plus neti pot.  Being sick pregnant is THE WORST

BabyFruit Ticker

• @sw1122 I asked my doctor when I was pregnant with DD. She said it should be fine, but if I was nervous, avoid it for my first trimester. I avoided it with DD but haven't stopped this time.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @zamora_spin I totally get your assessment, plus I read in a cursory source that there may also be biochemical issues that NIPT picks up. And at the end of the day we IF/IVF moms worked SO HARD for our little embryos so BRING ON all the testing that will help us feel secure. 
  • @sw1122 I have not asked a dr about salicylic acid, and the guidance you can find online is somewhat contradictory. It sounds like your dr is ok with it which is important. I decided to take it out of my routine in part because I'm already on low dose aspirin. If you are looking for an alternative I feel like my skin has improved and broken out less while using a lactic acid - I use these pads every other day https://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7495831/6203270.htm (they do burn a little and take some getting used to). There are a lot of lactic acid products on the market (The Ordinary has one and their stuff is not expensive) and my understanding is lactic acid is safe during pregnancy. 
  • sw1122sw1122 member
    edited January 2019
    @jrm_14 - HA! I know, there's so much information online and some of it is contradictory and inconsistent. I google every symptom, ache, pain, etc, which I know only feeds my anxiety and neurosis, but I just can't help myself!

@peachy0709 - thanks so much for these. The 3rd article was particularly helpful!

@EmilyA724 - thanks! I've started to use a moisturizer that contains salicylic acid, and will likely continue since my doctor's ok with it.

@zamora_spin - thanks for this recommendation! Before my pregnancy, I used exfoliating wipes/pads with salicylic acid and switched to these a while back when I was avoiding SA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFY8N5U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It contains glycolic acid, which I guess is considered safe/safer and they've been quite effective.
  • grangerhp37grangerhp37 member
    edited January 2019
    Edit: I realize this was discussed so OOPS let me read what others said. Apparently it can be normal to request both, but my OB's office usually recommends one or the other. I still scheduled both!

I know I already asked about genetic screenings in one of the check in threads, but is anyone doing both the NT screen AND the NIPT blood draw? I'm under 35 so considered low risk. I had my first appt with my OB today and asked whether I could do both, and she said yes but looked at me like I was insane.

I understand that they test for a lot of the same things, but I feel like it's beneficial to compare the results from both. Plus, NIPT is supposed to be more accurate, but if we don't do the NT scan then we don't get any more ultrasounds between 8 weeks (now) and 20 weeks. PLUS, I checked with insurance and both are covered (not just one or the other) so it seems like a no brainer to me.
  • @dogmomma096 with the twins I just did the NT scan, with #3 we did both and will do both with this one
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• This is a bit of a TMI question, but does anyone have IBS? If so, how is your pregnancy affecting it? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Is anyone else struggling with insomnia lately? It was never an issue pre-pregnancy, but I can't seem to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time now and I'm exhausted all the time!
  • @oklahomak +1 to the insomnia train. I do OK until #3 wakes up then I just can't get back to sleep so I'm often up at 3am ... uggg
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 That is the worst! Have you found anything that helps? 
  • @oklahomak The hormones plus the peeing all the time can definitely mess up sleep. Are you having trouble falling asleep or waking up and not going back to sleep? The second one is off and on my problem. I will wake up initially a bunch of times to pee, then fall asleep until 4-5 am and not be able to go back to sleep for an hour or longer. 
    @dogmomma096 Yes, I am planning to ask for both NIPT and NT. It does look like NT tests for a couple things not detected by NIPT, and of course NIPT is more accurate on the genetic issues. I need all the peace of mind. Don't worry about your dr's reaction. 

Question:  I have started to let myself get a little excited about the idea of needing maternity clothes. When does one start to need mat clothes as a FTM? I know you can start to show anywhere from 12-16 weeks, do people usually need to start building their mat wardrobe then? I'm a size 12-14 in clothes and have a little belly that pre-pregnancy, if that helps. 
  • @zamora_spin It's taking me a little bit longer to fall asleep, but mainly it's waking up frequently and not being able to fall back asleep, or if I do, just waking up again shortly after!

@dogmomma096 @zamora_spin So I haven't done as much research on testing as I guess I should. What are the benefits of doing both the NT and NIPT? We're planning on doing the NIPT, but hadn't thought much about NT. 

I'll also jump on the maternity clothes excitement bus! I have a little bloat right now that I'm convincing myself is the beginning of a bump (I'm only 8+1, so it's probably not... but always better to think it's a baby bump than extra new fat lol). 
  • @oklahomak I have not taken anything yet... someone else on here said unisom was helping them.

@zamora_spin its so different for each person... some transition earlier (hello 7-8 weeks!) because of the bloat and how uncomfortable pants can be at the end of the day. When I was a FTM it was with twins and I had to be in mat cloths by 14 weeks. it can hurt to look for sales and if you see something get it. there is also a lot of variability about pant style (full panel, under belly, side panel) I find full panel stay up the best and are fine in the winter but I tend to get A LOT of my own personal summers and in the summer time having that extra layer on my stomach is just too hot. for me sometime the underbelly can pinch when i'm farther along and though the side panels are super comfy I am forever pulling them up. I know some FTM can go well into the end of the second tri before needing mat cloths and some women just buy bigger cloths... though maybe a UO mat cloths are so comfy  I'm not sure why you wouldn't buy them other than $$.  I hope this was somewhat helpful...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @oklahomak My OB’s office apparently only does a 12 week ultrasound if you do the NT scan. Otherwise you just get the confirmation scan around 8 weeks and the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. If I got a 12 week scan either way, I’d probably consider just doing the NIPT.

Plus, while they check for the same things, one is a blood test and the other is an ultrasound where they take measurements. So I feel like they are two totally different screenings and if anything were to come back high risk, I would appreciate being able to compare the info from both screenings before making a decision about invasive testing like amnio or CVS.
  • @dogmomma096 Ah, ok, that makes sense. I still have a second scan with my RE next Thursday before graduating, so I'll probably end up with a 12-week scan with an OB at my first appointment, hopefully. 

Is the NIPT covered by your insurance?