March 2019 Moms

Glucose Test discussion

12346»

Re: Glucose Test discussion

• @ashley14598 Agreed! About the time I had a handle on all of it the last go-around, I had a baby! 
  • @ashley14598 @HoneyBear40 yeah, I’ll see a MFM and probably a dietitian/nutritionist in the new year and I’m trying to find a balance. I’m feeling better and more balanced now that I’ve been reading more and allowing myself more carbs and the occasional low-ish carb/sugar treat.

Having read more and knowing that it’s not a no-carb diet, but a balanced/lower carb diet helps a lot. And luckily we’re visiting in CA where everyone and there brother is doing paleo/keto/low carb diets so the snack foods are pretty accommodating. Also reading some success stories on the support group I mentioned helped me realize that a risk of preterm labor/low blood sugar at birth/overlarge baby does not guarantee those things will happen and keeping it under control will help to prevent that.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Oops I meant to tag @purpleteacher82 sorry @HoneyBear40 I’m glad we have some successful stories in here too! I’ll be going in for my 3 hour tomorrow morning and taking my 20 month old little monkey with me! Lol I’m hopeful I pass this time and that he does okay when it comes time for my blood draws! 
  • @meggyme @HoneyBear40 @ashley14598  Thanks for all the support ladies. I’ve been pretty down about it today, but I’m sure I’ll come around and deal with it. That’s what us mamas do! 
  • @purpleteacher82 I was pretty bummed about it too, especially at the family Christmas with only carbs and a sad looking salad to eat. Ordering my celebratory “Back in California” In n Out Burger as a lettuce wrap was a low point too. But take a couple days, let yourself be sad because it’s not the pregnancy you envisioned, but I hope it doesn’t have to be too hard either. Once I talk to my MFM I plan to join in on the High Risk threads here.
  • edited December 2018
    @meggyme I am definitely taking some time to sulk about it. I still have a family Christmas this weekend and my family also does a New Years Day brunch. It makes me not want to go to either of them. I’m sure I will feel better about later once I’ve had more time to process. 

ETA: As far as I know I don’t need to see a MFM. Do you need to see one solely because of the GD or are there other factors? 
  • @purpleteacher82 it’s just for the GD. It might be how they go about referring me to a dietitian and doing the nutrition class. The nurse also mentioned some additional growth scans and non stress tests toward the end. Here’s the actual message:
    Megan, this is to follow up from the phone call you received the other day regarding your results of the 3-hour glucose test. You will be scheduled to meet with one of our nurses to learn to use a glucometer and test your blood glucose levels every day. You will also have an appointment with the gestational diabetes nurse at Maternal Fetal Medicine. If you would like to learn about nutrition and management of gestational diabetes, look for the book Real Food for Gestational Diabetes. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Gestational-Diabetes-Conventional/dp/0986295000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545494482&sr=8-1&keywords=real+food+for+gestional+diabetes 

Also my 1 and 2 hrs tests failed by 20 and 15 mg/dL each, so idk if that factors into their decision.
  • @meggyme I think you’re right. It may just be a difference in providers and how they do things. My OB is connected to a network of other dr. office’s and a hospital, so I am taking the class at the diabetes clinic that is part of that network. 

I don’t know my specific numbers and how much I failed by. I see my OB tomorrow and I’m hoping to find out. 
  • Here now thankfully only 25ish minutes left of the 3 hour... we have been on multiple walks, played, DS has eaten all the things but thankfully he’s doing really well all things considered! They did my 2 blood draw 5-10 mins late and my 3rd one they did on time but she came to find me because she did the wrong draw so that one was like 10-15 mins late ... I really hope they don’t screw up this test or I end up with false results. I’m doing okay I’m just pretty tired and very hungry! Last time I took the 3 hr I was pretty sick feeling the whole time. 
  • Well I go to a practice with 2 OBs and a midwife (I see the midwife but they are all good, nice, and work well together). About an hour after my test I got a call and didn’t answer it because last time I talked to the nurse from the office she wasn’t super kind to me. Well it was the main OB from their office to tell me I do not have GD this time around but that my 3rd hour result was pretty low and if I was feeling poorly to make sure I called him back (even gave me his cell for after hours). I looked online to see the result but it hasn’t posted yet.... I’m curious how low it was... before and during the last blood draw I was starting to sweat, feel dizzy, and shaky I knew something was off. I had a granola bar in the diaper bag so I scarfed that down as soon as possible and felt a bit better after it. I’m feeling fine now and obviously relieved not to have it this time but I’m still curious about what that means it can’t be good especially if he gave me his number for after hours. 
  • @ashley14598 I had a similar 3 hr result.  Failed the 1 hr draw (they said "quite high"), passed the 2nd and 3rd.  I didn't find out for several days but my 3rd draw was "too low" per the results in the portal and I did feel dizzy and shaky when I left the office.  They will discuss further at my next appointment but said I still need to watch my carbs/sugar due to how high my 1 hr result.  They didn't mention the 3rd draw in my portal message, just the high first draw.  I wonder what they will say at my next appointment.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lisee923 I agree! I felt sick during that 3 hour test both times I took it’s just not natural to fast and then consume so much sugar. I suppose they think the risks of the test outweigh the risks of undiagnosed GD which I suppose I agree with. But it is definitely no fun! The OB told me to watch my intake of sugar as I did in my last pregnancy even though I don’t have it this time so it was comforting that he actually checked my chart before calling me. I have an appointment and a growth scan on Wednesday so I’ll get some answers then too. 
  • @ashley14598 @lisee923 Congrats on passing the 3hr, but sorry you both had to go through that. I had a similar reaction during the 1hr test during my first pregnancy. I thought I was going to faint/throw up, but I held it together for the hour because they told me the results wouldn’t count if I threw up! I am dreading taking the test on Monday and hoping that history won’t repeat itself. 
  • Ugh I'm sorry you guys had to go through that! It must be fairly common for people to have bad reactions, because when I went for my test, the lab receptionist told me to sit within her line of sight so she could see if I slumped over. 
  • I took the test yesterday and feel all your pains! At 1st sip it didn't seem bad, then just wanted to throw up and got loopy from it. That was from the 1 hour test...I can't even imagine having the 3 hr test yet.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Big 'ol F on the 1 hour glucose test...now for carb loading (per instructions which is just hilarious to me) the next few days and the 3 hour test. 
  • Oh, @HoneyBear40, sorry about the 1 hour! Carb loading before seems bizarre, but what do I know? 🤷‍♀️ GL on the 3 hour! When are you taking it? 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • @HoneyBear40 ugh, sorry to hear you failed the 1-hour. Hopefully you pass the 3-hour, no problem! Definitely interesting they told you to carb load - only recommendation I got was to fast after 12 the night before.
  • That’s interesting they want you to carb load @HoneyBear40. Maybe that’s why I flunked my 3 hr so horribly. I hope your person is a good stick!
  • @catlady2015 & @lelkcot Yeah it really makes no sense - eat the equivalent of 6 slices of bread for 3 days and then no food after midnight on the 3rd day. Looking to take it on Monday because they'd like me to have it done before my next appointment on the 18th. DH read the paperwork and laughed cause it sounds like "this fire might be hot, put your hand in it, ok now don't touch it ever again" LOL
    Like I've shared, I've gone through it once with DD so at this point it's just the added inconvenience of going to do the 3 hour test and then go to the diabetes center if I do have it. I'd like to skip all that and just start eating like a GD person.
  • @HoneyBear40 That is the craziest thing I've heard as well! My OB said to mainly eat high protein, so I just made a huge omelet and veggies...total opposite. But I'm a carb-aholic! So your carb-fest kind of sounds fun lol
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• I’ve been avoiding this thread because I always get so stressed about the possibility of having GD. My test this time is much later then last pregnancy. I had it done in December last time and I still don’t go for another week or so this time. 

@meggyme and @purpleteacher82 Sorry you gals are having to deal with this beast. Pregnancy is hard enough as it is. 

@ashley14598 I was the same way when I had my 3 hour last time. I got SOOO sick so I’m dreading doing it this go around. I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll just pass my 1 hour this time. I only failed it by like 2 points last time. I made the same assumption that it was just because my body shouldn’t react well to being starved and pumped full of sugars while also growing a human. I think I could hardly drive myself to get food I was so light headed and ill.