2nd Trimester

S/O's Cats

I have a huge issue. When I came into the relationship, my S/O told me that he had several cats that were dumped on him by his ex-wife. He cares about the cats and admits that several (there are 5) need to be rehomed, but he won't do it unless he knows they're good homes-- that part I completely respect. The issue to me is that the two that he wants to rehome aren't the problem cats-- it's his original cats that are causing my home to be a completely unsanitary wasteland. 

His oldest cat has behavioral issues and medical issues and, because of this, he pees (yes, PEES) all over our kitchen counters, stove, and everything he can find. I've tried everything. We have scat-mats (mats that shock) on the counters, I've purchased multiple new litter boxes (including self scooping so there is never a place without a clean box), and I've been trying to train the cat to not go near the counters. 

None of it is working. Every time I put my hand on the counter or go to clean or do anything else, it's saturated in cat urine. Every. Damn. Time. And as you all know, we of the preggy-variety can't clean, touch, or handle cat urine or feces because of toxoplasmosis. 

That's just one of the problem cats. There are two more. One particularly loves to pee in the bathroom or on any cloth surface in the house, and another loves to pop a squat and crap in front of our bedroom door when we sleep at night. 

I can't do this anymore. It seemed to be getting better, but now it's back full force plus more and I can't just idly sit by because I have to take my baby into consideration. I don't want to risk the cats peeing on my baby's things or on the bottles or me having to throw away a whole slew of items because they're compromised from urine or feces. 

How do I go about talking to my S/O about rehoming his cats? He loves these three in particular and they have been around for over 12 years. One of the problem cats belongs to his teenage daughter, which add another dimension of hell to this scenario.

Thank you for any help in advance, and thank you for the support. I'm at my wit's end and I don't see any other way to do this except to tell him to rehome older, sickly cats with bad habits--- which we all know means they will be put down because rarely anyone wants to adopt older problem cats. 

Re: S/O's Cats

• I agree 100%% ☝️☝️

• Loading the player...
  • ^^^WSS

Your best bet to get through to him is to work through the vet. It could health but it could also be behavioral and a sign that perhaps they would be happier elsewhere. My sister’s cat started mittering when she was pregnant with their second. Went to a new home that was a better match and the behavior stopped. 

Pregnant or not, diseases or not, that is foul. Do not put up with it. Cat piss is so stinky and wretched. Blech.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • **lurking**

Our cat was having issues urinating outside of his litter box, usually on my bed. We had him checked out and after treating multiple urinary tract infections, adding an extra litter box and putting him on a special food for bladder issues, he hasn't done it in forever. I would recommend full physicals for each cat he wants to keep to see if it's a treatable medical issue. If it's behavioral, the vet may be able to give you tips about changing the bad behavior. 
    I would do this right away because stress is a major cause of these kind of issues in cats and it's only going to be heightened when a newborn enters the picture. 
    Good luck. I hope you can get some resolution.