May 2019 Moms

THE MEGA RECIPE THREAD

Post your go-to favorite recipes here! @BumpAdmin can you sticky pls?
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker

Re: THE MEGA RECIPE THREAD

• @wishiwaspreggo I'mma need that brisket taco recipe again when u get a chance thx  :#

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Nothing special, but I hate the canned sloppy joe stuff. I found this a few years ago and love it. I make it all the time. 

• This soup is bomb, and it's so easy and fast. I substitute canned diced tomatoes because ain't nobody got time to be blending tomatoes. I also substitute that Better Than Bullion stuff because, well, it IS better than bullion. Really gives it a rich flavor. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Yummy brisket tacos! I made them before and they are as delicious as they sound.
    Also, if you're in the mood for simple comfort food on a cold night, I recommend the following recipe:
    1 chuck roast
    1 packet onion soup mix
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can of cooked mushrooms (optional)
    Put the roast in a crock pot. Cover with onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, and cooked mushrooms. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes.
  • Thanks @wishiwaspreggo ! Definitely making those soon. 

My go-to for pot roast is the very cliche, and probably disgustingly high in sodium, recipe that is an envelope of brown gravy mix, an envelope of ranch dressing mix and an envelope of italian dressing mix. I line the bottom of the crock pot with red potatoes and baby carrots so I don't have to make anything separate. Because lazy. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I made this enchilada skillet (way easier than regular enchiladas) last night since I was bored with chili and pasta with meat sauce: https://jamiecooksitup.net/2014/04/30-minute-ground-beef-enchilada-skillet-dinner/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/rPPf+(Jamie+Cooks+It+Up!)

I used Cookie+Kate's homemade enchilada sauce recipe. I've never used store bought but don't make enchiladas that frequently. Homemade is so good and I am super vigilant about sodium content in jarred/canned/frozen foods so I use low sodium broth and it only has 1/4tsp of salt which I love. Tons of flavor, too. DD was able to eat it just fine without it being too spicy and she's 15 months.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• My go-to pot roast recipe (from my mom) is to marinate the roast in my baking dish with lots of Worcestershire sauce and Kraft sun dried tomato and oregano dressing.  I usually add some extra dried oregano, thyme and basil too.  After a few hours marinating in the fridge I sear the roast on all sides then put it back in the dish with remaining marinade.  I sometimes add carrots to the dish but for some reason I don’t like potatoes roasted that way.  Bake at 325*F until it reaches desired doneness.  The drippings from the roast with this marinade make AH-MAZING gravy.  I serve with mashed potatoes (mashed with sour cream and S&P.  Sometimes I also add chopped green onions) and a salad.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My kids love this soup.  We make it with either ground beef or ground turkey, mostly depending on what’s in the freezer.  

https://www.bestofbridge.com/best-of-bridge-hamburger-soup/

In the tips at the bottom is the variation for the “original” Best of Bridge recipe.  That’s the one I grew up on, but we like the new version too. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana

1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble hot Italian sausage, about 5-8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until some of the onion begins to turn opaque (no need to cook onion completely at this point). Drain grease from skillet.
    2. In a 6 quart crock pot (or bigger), add cooked sausage & veggies plus the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour chicken broth on top. There should be enough broth to cover the tops of the potatoes; if there isn't, add up to 2 cups water so potatoes are covered.

3. Gently stir ingredients, cover crock pot, and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
    4. Remove lid from crock pot and add kale and heavy whipping cream, then stir to combine.
    5. Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes.
    6. Serve zuppa toscana immediately with shredded parmesan cheese as garnish.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • knarlytaurusknarlytaurus member
    edited December 2018
    Just finished a batch of English muffins. It's a new recipe for me, but I like the look of them and I think they'll give me a better crumb than the previous recipe I used. The ingredients list is by weight in grams (gives the most consistent results for baking). 

A quick note for conversion's sake for everyone in the US :

Polenta is the same as coarse corn grits. 
    170ml of milk weighs 175g
    Use standard granulated white sugar for the castor sugar
    A rolled-out dough height of 1.5-2cm is 0.5"-0.75". 0.5" is probably the best height so they're not too thick to cook through all the way. 
    Use a 3.5" biscuit cutter (or as close to that size as you can).

Depending on the size of the pan you use, make sure the muffins have a bit of space between them. Use a bit more of the grits in the pan when you flip them. Empty out any of the grits that get too brown as you cook the batches. 

When you put the English muffins on a hot griddle or cast iron pan, they may not be fully cooked through. They should be 200°F in the center, so put them in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes until their centers are up to 200°F.

They're pretty easy as a first yeast dough if you've never tried something like this. 

• I Love this Chicken and Lime soup!
    https://pin.it/xkfhist5sbhpxd

AND this Honey Lemon Chicken
    https://pin.it/7estoz2ymtixfb

• This chicken taco bowl in the electric pressure cooker was SO easy. Like 5 minutes of prep for a gooood meal. Kind of reminded me of a chipotle burrito bowl. 

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/instant-pot-chicken-taco-bowls/

• Anyone know how to make sugar cookies that don’t expand in the oven? Last year our gingerbread boy cookies looked like the michelin man 😂
  • @Sketner610 I made an awesome homemade sugar cookie last month. Let me see if I can find the recipe!
  • @Sketner610

400*F for 6-8 minutes! Roll to 1/4-1/2” thick.
  • @Sketner610 idk about recipes, but I find my cookies tend to spread a lot if I spend too much time creaming the butter and sugar together. The warmer the dough is the more they spread too I think.
    kids with flags
  • @brie_and_almonds @mrskoz428 Thanks! I tried googling some recipes and half of the ones I found had to do with putting the dough in the freezer before baking which just sounded so weird to me. 
  • @Sketner610 if you don't want them to spread, the freezer or fridge is key. It helps to solidify the butter so it doesn't spread in the hot oven. 
  • @Sketner610 what those recipes and @knarlytaurus said...chilled dough is key!!!

• @Sketner610 We make lots of cookies for Holiday gifts each year and we do refrigerate or if no time freeze the dough to maintain the size. Works like a charm!
  • Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Can’t wait to try this out! 
  • @Sketner610 I'm making gingerbread cookies for a cookie (and beer!) exchange on Saturday. Do you have a good recipe or am I just as well off with any recipe online? I haven't made them before. Last year I did biscotti and my favorite brown butter cookies.

• @kvh22 I don’t have any recipes... I just meant I did a sugar cookie and my kids used gingerbread boy cookie cutters! Sorry!! 
  • @Sketner610 I'm sure I've got a great one I can send along.... Let me look and get back to you! 
  • @Sketner610 are you thinking spice cookies/molassas cookies, or specifically a Gingerbread? 
  • @knarlytaurus I was actually looking for sugar cookie recipes, but @kvh22 was looking for gingerbread recipes 
  • Oh- Sorry! My enthusiasm ran away with it @Sketner610 and @kvh22.

Here's a Gingerbread cake/loaf recipe:
  • @knarlytaurus I was *thinking* gingerbread but now you have me intrigued. If you have something that isn't necessarily gingerbread but you love, I'd be all for giving it a try. Something that would be gingerbread men (and other cookie cutter) shapes so a roll out dough, not a drop cookie or anything like a regular chocolate chip dough (or my favorite brown butter cookies) that you could use an ice cream scoop to portion on the pan and they spread.

• I have a soft Gingerbread cookie recipe, too, but it's a doozy (length-wise). I hope all the pictures load up... 
  • And the icing recipe. (I noticed it has uncooked egg white in it, so use pasteurized eggs if you have any concerns) 

• Easy Baked Chicken

Ingredients:
    chicken thighs (6-8)
    sliced fresh veggies
    vegetable oil (i use avocado oil)

preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread out sliced veggies over the lined baking sheet and season (i just use pepper). Then pat chicken dry with paper towels and place on top of the veggies. Spread a little bit of oil on top of the chicken and then season to taste ( i use pepper, paprika and sometimes garlic powder. Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on how big the chicken pieces are.

i switch up the veggies. Sometimes i will use yellow squash and zucchini and other times i will use sliced carrots, celery, corn kernels, and baby potatoes (though baby potatoes due take longer to cook so i normally will throw them in for 20 minutes before everyrhing else or pop them in the microwave for a few minutes).
  • You all convinced us to get a multicooker (it's actually a Zavor). 
    Tried this tonight. I had leeks in our garden that ended getting frozen into the bed since we had such early snow and cold  but I was able to get them out today with a the  and we enjoyed this soup for dinner. 

• My family really liked this. Next time we'll add broccoli and/or chicken. I used avocado oil instead of olive, way more garlic than called for, and included garlic powder and onion powder. We didn't have parsley so we left it out.

One Pan Garlic Parmesan Pasta

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 8 oz. dry linguine noodles
    • 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 cup milk/cream (I use half nonfat milk and half heavy cream
    • 1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
    • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Instructions

• In a 12 inch skillet over medium-high, heat olive oil and add garlic. Stir and cook until garlic becomes fragrant and just starts to brown; about 1 minute. Add pasta, salt, pepper, butter, chicken stock and milk/cream. Stir and bring to a boil.
    • Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. *OR cook and stir constantly for about 10 minutes for a quicker finish time.
    • Remove from heat, toss pasta, and stir in Parmesan Cheese (sprinkle cheese in a thin, even layer for best melting). *Pro-tip - I use a microplane and grate right over the pasta.
    • Sprinkle parsley on top. Divide into bowls and serve hot.

• @DuchessOfCambridge that sounds amazing with mushrooms and asparagus! 😍 Definitely trying this!
  • We received an instant pot for Christmas. Does anyone have recommendations for recipes, especially of the minimal-prep/prep-ahead and includes a side, type? With soon to be two under two, and DH often not home until the kids are already asleep, it would be awesome to dump and push start during bathtime and have dinner waiting for me when they are down. 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge i made the pasta recipe and it was wonderful!! I ended up makimg dh a steak for dinner so i could the leftovers for lunch the next day ☺️
  • I need an instant pot in my life

DIStickerscom Ticker