April 2019 Moms
Options

non-baby related: Do you have a hobby?

I’m curious, do any of you have a hobby? How did you get in to it?

Re: non-baby related: Do you have a hobby?

• Options
    I loved to shoot, Target practice, 3 gun etc but can’t participate as a pregnant mom and can’t take a breastfeeding baby so it’s been a long time since this is my second. I love to read when I get uninterrupted time and I also keep a sketch book. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @saraleigh2 why aren’t you allowed to shoot? I haven’t shot a gun while pregnant but I do target shoot with my bow

@harveyisaboysname yes lol

My only hobby (outside of kids and Hulu) is crafting but I don’t do it nearly as often as I want to. I like to sew simple things like burp cloths and bibs. But I have made a couple quilts and some infant dresses. I also love cutting with my silhouette machine and would love to make some money selling my projects but I don’t time 
  • Options
    saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited October 2018
    @blueberrymomma yes the loud noises is bad for baby (when pregnant being inside doesn’t offer enough auditory protection) and the fumes and led are toxic so I avoid while pregnant or breastfeeding a new one. 
  • Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited October 2018
    @kbirchtree I was supposed to go shooting with my husband while pregnant with my first and they also said I couldn’t go due to the loud noises.

Pre-kids I figure skated and LOVED it. I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to go back but I’m hoping at least one of my 3 girls has some interest in figure skating. It’s such a freeing feeling and I like it cause I almost never get overheated  :D 
  • Options
    Crossfit, reading, I consider baking my hobby because even though it's what I went to school for, I just do it on the side.  I love crafting as well - simple things like bibs or making my son's Halloween costume - but haven't done much lately since my sewing machine is broken.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @wildcosmiclove and @lin0442, I forgot to mention we're board game/D&D nerds here too!

Also, that's awesome, @lin0442!  I always find it hilarious that the two sides of myself and my hubby are workout "jocks," and total nerds :tongue:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty I work in an area with a massive amount of gyms and stops, and me and DH’s favorite walking trail has a ton, too. I use Pokémon go as my incentive to actually get up and walk sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    I love reading about talks hobbies!! 

I dont have as many many hobbies as I used to these days with work + baby. And sometimes it feels like work is my hobby. But the main fun hobby I do is reading. I’ve always loved to read, though I do go through phases when I read more or less. 

i used to bake a lot, but I don’t do that quite as much anymore. Now that my son is older (almost 4) we do baking projects together though, which is really fun. He loves helping and he’s pretty good these days. He can crack an egg and measure and stuff. We made cinnamon raisin bread a few weeks ago that turned out great. 
  • Options
    Pre kids, I used to read a lot, play co-ed volleyball, bar hop with friends. Gosh, I used to be cool.

Now, after DD goes to bed, I like to veg out and watch TV with DH until I go to bed. After I have this kid, we are planning on getting a cheaper version of the Pelaton so I hope that exercise becomes my hobby. I'd really like to focus on my health and nutrition (as I'm drinking a Coke).
  • Options
    mrstmoose said:
    Pre kids, I used to read a lot, play co-ed volleyball, bar hop with friends. Gosh, I used to be cool.

Now, after DD goes to bed, I like to veg out and watch TV with DH until I go to bed. After I have this kid, we are planning on getting a cheaper version of the Pelaton so I hope that exercise becomes my hobby. I'd really like to focus on my health and nutrition (as I'm drinking a Coke).
    The bolded is me. We used to go out and dance and do karaoke. Pre-this-pregnancy I went to the gym and read books. But now I'm exhausted. 

I would love to develop a hobby but I just have no clue when I could. DH has a crazy work schedule so classes are basically out and nothing I can do at home really appeals to me I suppose. ?

TL:DR - I'm lame.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I dabble too, I have a few hobbies. I love to read, play music (piano) and listen to music, workout (mainly taking my dogs for really long walks when it's not a million degrees outside), and I love trivia!

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    I miss trivia @sheknows6
  • Options
    I have a fantasy that someday I’ll get a potters wheel and a kiln in my garage. I took a pottery class once that I really loved and have been wishing for one since. 
  • Options
    @sheknows6 @MRDCle I miss trivia too.

I also miss embroidery and travel, which I did a LOT of pre-kids but not since. I am not even sure where my last embroidery project is, because I’ve moved twice since I worked on it, and have not unpacked because neither place is really mine. I often feel like our role as caretakers for FIL means DH and I are just treading water on our passions, in order to keep DH’s family afloat. It’s not how I imagined the first few years of our relationship (no matter that DH was in this caretaker role when we met...it’s gotten intense this year though). 
  • Options
    Hang in there, @lyse01.  That's a tough situation.  We're getting to that point with my parents and it's hard just having the conversations about who will be a caretaker or what their plans are....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kangstadt I have lots of off-topic thoughts about that, mostly revolving around setting things up now before disease makes change harder. Thanks for the support.

and sorry for the downer, everyone else!
  • Options
    Add me to the reader team.  I have an hour long commute each way, and while I used to spend it reading, I promised myself this year I'd spend it doing work for school so I could reach Maximum Efficiency.  It contributed to a stupid rut that I didn't break until this week (thanks to my best friend pointing out I was being a moron for not prioritizing things I enjoy).  I'm back to reading for fun and dear God, life is worlds better already.

I love to write, but time isn't on my side - especially because I put pressure on myself with my writing, it's less of a pure-enjoyment activity for me.  And I love taking walks with my dog or my daughter, but lately I haven't been taking either because I haven't felt up to taking both thanks to my relatively recent knee surgery (and my dog's penchant for pulling).

@kosmo86 I bullet journal on and off myself - I find it to be a really useful tool when I'm especially anxious.  It's just creative and low-maintenance enough to be easy enough for me to maintain.
  • Options
    I love to read.  Lately I'm just reading free amazon smut, but that's because I'm too cheap to buy quality books.  We are into board games, we have a group of friends that we get together with regularly to play games (we love Pandemic).  Unfortunately with our moves, and now another couple in the group going through the same thing (selling their house, moving in with family, and then into their new home) we haven't had a group game night since early this year.  =(  
    I'm a realtor, so while it's my job to look at houses, I still love it.  I will go through open houses all weekend if I could- it helps me to know what is available for my clients, I get good decorating ideas, and I network.  
    I used to scrapbook, but I got too busy when I was teaching, and since we had no space in our condo, my stuff was buried at the bottom of a closet, and it took me so long to get it out, that by the time I did, I had no interest in actually scrapbooking then.  Maybe I'll get into it again, so I have a book for the baby.  
  • Options
    @aqualicious - I love pandemic? DH and I have also done pandemic seasons 1 & 2 and they were fun!

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    @wildcosmiclove When that pic first popped up all i thought was oh, someone else with a well loved collection of Harry Potter books, lol.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    Count me in as an avid reader when I have time, which I hardly have anymore but I can normally get in a chapter or two before bed. I have tried to get into crocheting and I enjoy it so far but I'm not that great at it yet. I was able to make a few cute pumpkins for the season though and that was a neat accomplishment. I'm bound and determined to get better before baby comes.

• Options
    @llamamamanyc Frida Khalo is amazing!!! 

I love to read. We have a subscription to the New Yorker so there is always something to read and I have been neglecting my novels.
    i also love to bake, knit, and sew. Before getting pregnant, I was learning to make more structured garments but my body keeps changing, so that hobby will go on tthe back burner for awhile. 
  • Options
    I'm another D&D nerd/table top gamer. I'm currently running Curse of Strahd and a Homebrew (h runs both of them) .I have a dice collection problem. I also like video games and am a big Zelda fan. 

I do paint minis and draw/paint, but I'm hoping to eventually make money off that, so not sure they count as a hobby, but pretty much all of my work right now is for fun. I also like woodworking. I built a game table and a coffees table.
  • Options
    @MRDCle you’re not lame, I don’t have nearly as much time or energy to do my hobbies with 2 kids, pregnancy, and my hubbys work schedule. 

I should add that I used to bake and read a lot more. I don’t bake as often mainly because the kids always want to help and they make such a big mess. But with the holidays approaching I will be busting out some pies and lots of cookies. I love making Christmas cookies to give away to people(and eat too lol)
  • Options
    @wildcosmiclove, Mageknight, Eldritch, Pandemic, and Exploding Kittens are all on our shelves too!  Have you tried Gloomhaven?  It's pretty awesome.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty Harry Potter 4ever. I just finished rereading the series again.

@kangstadt Gloomhaven is on our ever growing "to buy/try" list. I feel like that list gets bigger and the time I have to actually play them gets smaller all the time.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    @wildcosmiclove - we have many of these or played them. I love the arkham games. We don't own arkham or eldritch horror but we have mansions of madness and I love it! 
    @kangstadt - gloomhaven is on our list too. I love the legacy style games and its #1 on board game geek. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18