April 2019 Moms

non-baby related: Do you have a hobby?

2»

Re: non-baby related: Do you have a hobby?

• I love to read, but not as often as before kids. I read a couple books a month or so. 

I also got into yoga in March and was doing it daily until the first tri with this baby, at which point I was too sick and exhausted. But I’m starting to pick it up again and looking forward to the benefits of it again. Especially with neck stiffness and headaches. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @honey_suckle that is amazing. I really really love the figs. The grey poinsettia pattern is a fabric, right? Not your creepily even stitching?
  • @honey_suckle That is gorgeous! I want to try my hand at embroidery sometime, but I often get ahead of myself with craft projects as it is.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • aqualiciousaqualicious member
    edited October 2018
    kosmo86 said:
    @aqualicious - I love pandemic? DH and I have also done pandemic seasons 1 & 2 and they were fun!

We did season 1 with our group and loved it.  We started season 2 and most of us weren't fans, so we kind of just let it go.  One of us is pushing to keep going on it, because as he likes to say, integrity of the game, but we're so meh about it, he's probably not going to win.  
    We also love Letter Tycoon, Ticket to Ride, Tsuro, King of Tokyo, Roll For It, Sushi Go, Dixit, and a few others.  Can't remember the names because of pregnancy brain. 

ETA- after looking at @w@wildcosmiclove picture, we also play Mysterium and Codenames.  We love Monikers for a big group as well.  
  • @wildcosmiclove, it is definitely time consuming, I don't think we've had time to sit down and play since I found out we're expecting.  DH has plans to put up a folding table in his office and just always have Gloomhaven or another game out so we can save time on set up and actually play a few scenarios or rounds.  Hasn't happened yet, but it may as we head into third tri if this pregnancy keeps kicking my butt like this.

@kosmo86, it's definitely worth it.  I wouldn't have bought it for myself due to the price tag, but DH went ahead and got it without my knowledge :tongue:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • honey_sucklehoney_suckle member
    edited October 2018
    @lyse01 @wildcosmiclove I took a course in traditional wool embroidery which was really great to get me started and you had your every other Thursday night penciled in for some embroidery time. Nowadays I just do it when I have some spare time in front of the TV.
  • +1 for the boardgames and jocks team!

My favorite hobbies to do alone (and sometimes with people) are biking, hiking, and climbing. My favorite way to hang out with other people is to play board games or to cook together. I usually play sous chef or pastry chef, though (shout out @kangstadt - I didn't go to school for pastry though I wish I had, just spent more than a year as a pastry chef making it up as I went along...)

Jumping in on the board game discussion: Pandemic Legacy Season 1 was pretty awesome. We've started Season 2 but it's so different! I can see why your group is not into it, @aqualicious... not sure whether our group will keep going either but we've only played a few games.
    Anyone play Dominion? My brothers have all of the expansions because we think it's such a versatile game. Also a personal favorite of mine that I haven't seen mentioned: Powergrid. It's this a German game with a lot of fiddly things to keep track of, but I think it's really fun.
  • edited November 2018
    Pre-kids, DH and I did a lot of theater (mostly Shakespeare) and sang. Not being able to be in plays has been my least favorite thing about us having intense day jobs and a kid. Maybe some day again. :(

I also play the bagpipes, DH plays the piano, and we both love home brewing (DH made me a beer that's less than 2%, so my OB okayed it!) and cooking. 

Oh, and yes to board games! We have a lot of friends who love them, too, so we do dinner and play a lot. Our favorites are Agricola and 7 Wonders!
  • @TheSouffleGirl that 2% beer is love. I’m so jealous.
  • @mesweettea Have you played Clank? It has deck building like Dominion, but it’s a bit more chill in general gameplay and the turns go quicker- I find it to be a really good option if I have someone less ‘into’ games over. Powergrid is fun, but it sure takes a while to get all the rules down!

@wildcosmiclove Wonderful game shelves! I love Smallworld with my group.

I feel like board games have gotten pretty popular in my area the past few years- I think a lot of folks have realized how good a tool they are for getting people together and hanging out/keeping in touch. 
  • See...we love playing games. We just did a game night with my cousins last week, but we played like...Uno, and Scattegories, and Cards Against Humanity. It seems overwhelming to try to learn all these other games. Are they easy to pick up on?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Along the same lines as Dominion, we have Ascension and multiple expansions.  DH doesn't like it as much as I do because it tends to be a little unbalanced with only two players (one person will get the better cards first and run off with the game) but it's a great one to learn since it's fairly quick and easy, @MRDCle .  DH and I can play a game in under twenty minutes since we know what we're doing now.  It's a deck building game also.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pre-kids DH and I use to bike long distances 16+miles a day! I also really love making soap, bath bombs, and chapstick but unfortunately I can’t mix lye pregnant. 👎🏻 I enjoy making homemade products for my coworkers and friends during the holiday season! 
  • MRDCle said:
    See...we love playing games. We just did a game night with my cousins last week, but we played like...Uno, and Scattegories, and Cards Against Humanity. It seems overwhelming to try to learn all these other games. Are they easy to pick up on?
    Pre kids we used to do this with the cousins all the time. I miss it. We mainly stopped because one of DHs cousins is such a poor sport if he’s losing that it wasn’t fun anymore. We do try to play Euchre with SIL/BIL once a month 
  • Ugh I LOVE euchre and I haven't played in ages. I think my aunt is pitying me (she has three sons, one older and younger twins like I will) so she took DS all day on Saturday and encouraged us to set up the game night ha. (cc: @blueberrymomma)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MRDCle I think smaller card games are easier to start with re:gaming. Or something like Carcassonne. They don't take up as much space or time!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I love quilting but I haven't had a lot of time lately. I really want to start embroidery (as if I have time!) And I also read as much as I can!
  • Any board game kadila play Kingdom Death: Monster? I'm hoping to commiserate over assembling the minis.
  • I’m so impressed by you ladies who know how to quit. It’s an awesome skill. I tried to learn once, but I just didn’t have the patience. 
  • @MRDCle - many games are easy to pick up on are ticket to ride, Pandemic and carcassonne these are my intro to table top gaming go to. Pandemic is a really great beacuse it introduces people to co-op gaming which has everyone work together

@Bringmemylongswordho- haven't tried kingdom death but DH loves buying games with minis because he loves to paint them. So I always make him do it all lol 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Hobbies of mine that currently come to mind are singing, hiking, mountain biking, Gaming (x box, PC, MTG, some board games) , drawing with soft pastels, and photography. 
  • @blueberrymomma and @MRDCle yes to euchre! I've lived in many parts of the US and most people have never heard of it, including where I live now. I really miss playing it. It's my fave!
  • Oh, and I know this isnt the symptoms thread, but my insomnia is kicking in big time - if you notice my post is from 2 am :neutral: