November 2018 Moms

The NICU Thread

Re: The NICU Thread

• hugs @wildrainbow. sending happy thoughts that he’ll get right back to progression after this short break of rest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @highsteaks. It was hard leaving today because his O2 sats kept dropping. Everything was just too much to fast for his little body to keep up with. H is going back with FIL, and I'm hoping he will be a bit more alert.
  • ashkee05ashkee05 member
    edited October 2018
    @wildrainbow so sorry today is rough for your little man! He looks so good though <3 I hope he just needed a rest day and kicks some butt tonight/tomorrow!!
    nws
  • @wildrainbow - I'm sorry for the hard day. Have they mentioned why they think he still needs high flow? I wasn't sure if they diagnosed him with surfactant deficiency (I assume not if they didn't give him any) or something else. Hopefully slowing down on feeds will allow him to be on less o2. Thinking of you and your sweet boy. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @mockingjay1 They haven't. I just called a little while ago and he is back to room air at 1 liter. My concern is that the minute they try a bottle or anything he will be right back up again. It really sucks. I'm hoping that the break to every other PO feeds will help him stay stable on O2. I think his little body is just working to hard with trying to breathe and taking PO feeds. His stats are pretty perfect when I'm there and holding him, but obviously, that can't happen 24/7. Such a frustrating roller coaster.  
  • @offtoneverland all the commiserations and hugs. hope you get some rest tonight.
  • mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited October 2018
    @wildrainbow - So many hugs. It's so hard, and as frustrating as it is it's not uncommon when PO feeding attempts are increased for there to be setbacks as I'm sure you've been told. I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating and difficult. I hope he does well with PO feeding every other feed.

@offtoneverland - I hope you are able to get some rest. Praying for you all as Sydney has her surgery tomorrow. I can't imagine how difficult it is to see her like that. 

All you NICU mamas are so, so strong. <3
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @offtoneverland Praying that all goes well tomorrow. I know it's hard to leave your baby, but taking care of you is even more important now. Your baby depends on you being there for her. Know that she is receiving the best care. As my NICU nurses say, they are the world's most expensive baby sitters, use them. Plus, they are seriously amazing. 
  • Thank you everyone for the kind words and reassurance. @wildrainbow "the world's most expensive baby sitters" made me laugh. So true! The NICU nurses are so great at taking care of all of our babies. So glad we have them to rely on so we can also take some time for ourselves. Any more updates on your little guy tonight? 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland I will be thinking about you and hoping for a smooth surgery for Sydney. Staying strong is important and it's good that you are taking care of yourself and getting some sleep tonight.

@wildrainbow sorry you had a tough day but Matthew is a strong little man already! He will bounce back! 

Stay strong Mama's!!
  • highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited October 2018
    thank you @krash_! i really appreciate the review. i just added the monitor to my registry and it looks like i can claim the discount on it, so that’s awesome. the peace of mind will be nice. i don’t have questions just yet, but i may send a pm when i think of one! thanks again!

and i’m really scratching my head that your doc told you to just watch him. geez— my kiddo usually drops when she’s in deep sleep... how would we even know their hr/oxygen is low, especially motn?! 

eta— elise failed her carseat oxygen test today *spectacularly* so discharge may not happen this weekend like we thought.  :(
  • @highsteaks I'm sorry she failed. That sucks monkey butt. 
  • @highsteaks - I'm sorry, that really sucks. 
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• Oh no @highsteaks -- that's incredibly disappointing. I am so sorry. :heartbreak: I'll be keeping you and your girls in my prayers that you all get to be home soon as a family. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I’m sorry @highsteaks. Hopefull discharge happens soon. I think an Owlet is a great idea and will hopefully bring you some comfort. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @offtoneverland how are you and Sydney doing this morning?
    edited October 2018
    @wildrainbow those pics are so so soooo precious! i’m so happy to hear that your nicu sounds so wonderful. that being said, i know it’ll be so much better once Matthew gets to go home <3 thinking of him and you.
  • @offtoneverland you are such a strong mama! Sydney will get all the rest she needs tonight to hopefully go home soon. she is in great hands. enjoy your time tonight with your older dd and sleeping in your own bed. 
    edited October 2018
    sorry for the multiple posts, but it’s slow so whatevs. i’m at the nicu again and i never know when i’ll have to put my phone down for awhile.  :p

redoing elise’s car seat test right now. 60 minutes down, 30 more to go... but she hasn’t failed yet! fingers crossed.

not too long ago the nicu unexpectedly lost power. there was audible panic coming from the halls because there’s a baby on critical care (with a ventilator, i think the nurse said). sounds like everything is ok though— the monitors and the important equipment have their own separate emergency power sources. there still is a bit extra going on in the halls right now trying to figure out what went wrong. sounds like maybe security and other personel checking everything. keeping in mind that all the babies are ok— the excitement is pretty interesting since i’m just here holding emilia and watching elise’s monitor.

eta- annnndddd she just failed with only 15 minutes to go.  :s
  • @highsteaks I'm sorry Elise keep puts failing, that sucks. And the power outage, how random. I hope Elise can pass soon. What is their gestational age? 

@offtoneverland I'm so glad Sydney is doing so well with recovery. Get some rest. If you have a recliner or a couch that reclines, sleep there. Sleeping flat after a section isn't the most comfy. That first good night's sleep makes you feel like a new woman. FX that Sydney gets extubated soon, so you can hold her.
    edited October 2018
    @wildrainbow that is one suuuuper adoreable baby you have there  <3 and awesome news about the breastfeeding progress!!!!

eta- the girls are 36w2d gestational.
  • @highsteaks The girls are doing fantastic then! Elise seems to be doing better every time she does the carseat test. So, that's amazing. No worries, love, she will get it. She may not be ready to leave her sister just yet. 
  • @offtoneverland thanks! It really does feel weird making real plans, but you need them. Enjoy pizza and your alcoholic beverage. Drink it guilt free. 
  • @offtoneverland - I think that's a great outlook and I'm sure DD1 will really love the time together and it will give Sydney time to rest. 

@highsteaks - I'm sorry she failed again. I know it sucks, but try to remember she's only 36 weeks. It's not uncommon for babies to be in the NICU until closer to their due date. Obviously they have higher hopes for her than that if they already retested her in her carseat so that's great! 

@wildrainbow - that's fantastic! Way to go Matthew! 

I love seeing the updates on all these sweet babies!
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @highsteaks how frustrating :( I hope little Elise passes soon <3

@wildrainbow 1) what a cute little batman <3 2) hooray for the step down!!!! :love: good work Matthew!

@offtoneverland enjoy your pizza girly and enjoy the drink. You've earned it and little Sydney needs all the good healing sleep <3 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @highsteaks I’m sorry she failed but it does sound like she is going longer, which is awesome!

@offtoneverland enjoy that pizza and drink! Sydney is in great hands.

@wildrainbow good job, Matthew! Precious costume.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @offtoneverland - that's great they were able to extubate her! I hope you are able to feed her soon!
    @highsteaks - FX Elise passes her carseat study today and that Emilia is able to stay major episode free so she can come home soon too! Yay for great growth!
    @wildrainbow - Hopefully next time they take him off he'll be able to stay off! Hopefully you'll get to take him home soon!
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @highstreaks what awesome news!  Hoping so hard that both girls can be discharged at the same time <3 
    @wildrainbow WOOHOO!  Good work baby M!  Keep that up <3
    @offtoneverland I'm so so happy you got to hear baby girl's sweet voice :love: crossing all the digits that you get to feed her super soon!

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV