March 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breastfeeding Devices and Accessories

Re: Product Spotlight: Breastfeeding Devices and Accessories

• @meggyme How much milk each breast can hold before it needs to be emptied in order to spark more production versus the general ability to produce the same amount of milk. Is that clearer?
  • Ok, so you think you'd experience more engorgement than someone with larger breasts. I don't have any experience with that, but I guess I can see it. I also think you might be surprised. I'm normally a B but when I was breasfeeding I was a D. I can already tell that my breast and ribcage have gotten larger.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • @mayoduck I am normally an A cup, and become more like a C during pregnancy/breastfeeding. I did have a terrible time with engorgement at first, especially overnight the first couple of months. I used a Medela pump-in-style for over a year and the standard size flange, and it was great for me, but everyone is different. 

The most important thing for comfort/fit of the pump is the flange size, but most breast pumps come with different sizes, or at least you can order different ones. The fit of the flange can really optimize how well and how comfortably you can empty your breast, so if you’re not sure when the time comes it is worth asking a lactation consultant for help. 
  • @sejica - good advice. This happened to my sister. She called me in tears because she thought all her frozen milk had gone bad and she was about to go back to work. Luckily her little guy tolerated it fine and we worked through it with some info from Le Leche League. I didn't know all this beforehand because I never had to pump much.
  • @meggyme - from Kelly Mom

Milk is produced at all times, not just between feedings. Between feedings, milk collects in mom’s breasts. Volume of milk stored in the breast is greater when there has been a greater amount of time between feeds. The amount of milk that can be stored in the breast between feedings (milk storage capacity) varies significantly from mom to mom and is not determined by breast size (although breast size can limit storage capacity). For most women there is not a lot of storage room. Although mothers with both low and high milk storage capacities produce enough milk for their babies, mothers with a greater milk storage capacity may be able to go longer between feedings without impacting milk supply and baby’s growth.

It also said that it is impossible to completely "empty" a breast. The faster baby takes it out, the faster your body produces more.

Here's the source of the info: https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/milkproduction-faq/#refillmyth

• @Lbloom thank you for doing the work to find that info, sorry I'm a lazy b.

I am a 32DD pre pregnancy, and was a 36GG during month one of bf'ing last time. I feel massive now and can only imagine what size I'll be in April, but it doesn't matter 'cause I haven't worn a sized/cupped bra since Sept '16. I live in nursing tanks. I had one breast that never really got engorged, and one that seemed to get engorged really easily, so I had to be careful to make sure I alternated which side I started on, otherwise I would've always started on the right, because it was always more 'full' and firm. So, ymmv, regardless of breast size, because biology is awesome and wierd.

tl;dr: boob size not predictive of breastfeeding challenges.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I breastfed my son pretty much exclusively (we supplemented with some formula at the very end due to lower supply) for the first year. I used the Medela in style advanced but I have been thinking about trying the battery operated spectra this time. Any advice on from anyone that has used it? I liked the Medela fine but it’s a bit loud and I like that the Spectra doesn’t have to be plugged in. Is there a good bag that you found worked well with it? Not that I really had a “nice” pumping bag with the Medela since I got it through insurance it came with the bare minimum. Thanks in advanced! 
  • On another note for FTMs, when my milk came in I was starving! I highly recommend packing yourself a snack basket for those early days. My best friend sent me a care package of snacks for those early days, and it was a God-send!
  • So last time I got the Medela PISA because it seemed like THE pump to get at the time. Now I'm hearing a lot of good things about spectra: they're quieter, stronger suction, rechargable, etc... but I have all these medela parts and bottles. Has anyone tried one vs the other? I'm debating if I should stay with medela since I have all the stuff (I could literally go a full week without washing anything) or switch to sepctra and either buy it all again or endure having to wash everything each night.
  • I only have the Spectra S2, so I can't say much about comparing the two systems. However, I used a conversion kit to be able to use freemie cups with my Spectra. There are a few blog posts, etc. if you Google Medela to Spectra hack. Amazon even has kits for this purpose. 
  • meggyme said:
    So last time I got the Medela PISA because it seemed like THE pump to get at the time. Now I'm hearing a lot of good things about spectra: they're quieter, stronger suction, rechargable, etc... but I have all these medela parts and bottles. Has anyone tried one vs the other? I'm debating if I should stay with medela since I have all the stuff (I could literally go a full week without washing anything) or switch to sepctra and either buy it all again or endure having to wash everything each night.
    This is me too.  I EP'd so I have one billion medela parts so I kind of just want to stick with another Medela.  I'm torn, everyone seems to love the spectra.  Last time spectra wasn't even offered through my insurance and the PISA was the one to own.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited October 2018
    @lisee923 I’m thinking I might call Aeroflow or whatever company I decide to use and ask how many pump parts I get. I only got new parts once a year last time, but other people are telling me they get them monthly. That would definitely change things for me if I could quickly build up a supply of spare parts.

ETA: I just found this, which connects the spectra hose to the medela pump parts. I think I've found my solution! https://www.amazon.com/PumpMom-Backflow-Connects-Breastshield-Protector/dp/B07D1XLSWR/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1539863514&sr=8-5&keywords=maymom+spectra+adapter+medela
  • @meggyme glad you found something that will work for you! 
  • This is all a little overwhelming! I just got my prescription, so I'm trying to figure out what will work best for me. I'm less worried about the costs than the convenience. I will be going back to work after 12 weeks, but intend to pump so I can keep up breastfeeding. I'm also going to be moving in the next month or so, so I don't know what my facilities will be like. I know that I will want to pump in my car for sure, but I think you can get an adapter for that regardless? I've heard people who have only had the Medela say they like that, but these last few posts make me think the Spectra is better option of the two. Are there any specific features I should look for? Are cordless options important (I do plan on traveling)? Is ease of cleaning important, can you just rinse out the parts in a bathroom? I've heard great things about the Willow pump too - if I don't mind the $60/month for bags, and if my insurance will cover it (I think it will), is that the way to go?
  • @babycolima12 I'm assuming that Tricare prime will cover the same stuff that Tricare Select/Standard did/will (if I recall correctly you are AD). From what I can see Tricare covers the cost of a pump w/o battery capability, the associated parts at least annually (I have friends that seem to get bags/parts monthly) and they also cover the kiinde system, which is kind of cool and also kind of gimicky so definitely look into it if it interests you. I think that gets you a Spectra S2 or a Medela PISA if you wanted no out of pocket costs. There's an upgrade fee associated with the Spectra S1Plus which is what I'm planning to get.

As for facilities, most federal buildings should have a specific space for pumping. The building I was in had a access controlled room with fridge, lockers, sink, and 3 bathroom stall enclosures each with a chair, desktop, and electrical outlet. My husband's squadrons have always had a mother's room as well. Regardless, it is federal law that your employer provide a private (I believe that means it needs to have a lock) space that is not a bathroom to pump in. Sometimes that's a fancy pumping room, sometimes that's someone's office or conference room.

As far as features, you want it be able to turn the suction up or down and a "let down" button that puts it in/out of let down stimulation mode (usually a faster, shallower suction). That's really all you need but other features are nice, like night lights if you plan to exclusively pump at night, a timer (I used an app to track time), battery capability, or a car adapter. This time around I plan to get one with a battery if only because I'll have a toddler running around and don't want to be stuck in one room while she's wreaking havoc in another. It'd also be nice for traveling in the car or other times you don't want to have to worry about finding an outlet, but honestly outlets aren't hard to come by. I also was caught with a crying baby in the other room while I was trapped pumping during nap time a few times early on.

Most of the parts are pretty easy once you figure out how they get set up. I used to take one set to work, rinse them in the sink after, and then toss them in the fridge (in a ziploc bag) between pumps so I didn't have to clean them every time I used them. There were new recommendations that came out recently that say to wash/sterilize them every time after a case where an infant died because the mother had been using pump parts left out in her sink and not washed. Personally, I plan to do the same thing with refrigerating the parts between pump sessions again.
  • @meggyme this is really great information, thank you! I looked at the Spectra S1 Plus and I think I'm sold. I don't mind paying extra. It doesn't look like it has a car adapter, but with the battery, I'm sure I can manage. And if insurance will cover the kiinde as well, I might as well try it out, it looks interesting. So I can maybe take some bottles off my registry now! I also think your routine between pump sessions sounds reasonable, and something I can manage, especially with the backflow preventer.

FWIW, the building I'm in now does NOT meet the requirements for pumping (basically a public restroom - there is also a small shower area with a door, and there's a bench in there, but no outlet - the only outlets are at the sinks in front of the mirrors, where I'm sure you could be seen by someone walking by with a well-timed open door). We had someone here who used to pump and said she had complained about it, but nothing has changed. I'm hoping where I go next is a step up!
  • @babycolima12 we had the same issue at my building re: no room, only a public bathroom with outlets at the sinks. One of our lawyers got pregnant and made a fuss and what do you know, they were able to convert a shower room into a dedicated mother’s room. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @babycolima12 I believe the back flow preventer only keeps milk out of the tubes. The flanges, valves, bottle tops, etc would still be in contact with milk and need refrigeration/cleaning.
  • @meggyme yeah that makes sense, but as long as everything that touches the milk is rinsed and refrigerated seems like that would prevent any bacteria from growing.

@mamakate1616 It's amazing how fast stuff happens when a lawyer gets involved! Maybe I should've gone to law school ;) I actually hate being "difficult" but you don't even realize how necessary it is until you're in the situation, so it's really important to advocate for yourself.
  • I got a power bank because I didn't have any outlets where I could pump either. There are no other women here that have kids or that are planning on having kids, so I am a one off. The area where I used to pump is no longer part of our office space, so I am not looking forward to pumping at work. >.<
  • edited October 2018
    @meggyme I haven’t used both (only the spectra), but personally, I’d stay with the PISA if it worked for you the last time and you have all the parts. I don’t think the spectra came with a lot of extras. I do remember replacing the tubes once and purchasing additional bottles. I definitely washed the parts after each pump session too so if you want extras to avoid washing, you’ll have to buy it all. 

eta- just read your update about connecting Medela parts to the spectra. So, ignore my comment.  :D
  • I'm reviving this thread. I have read through all these helpful insights, but I was wondering if any of you might have ideas on what might be best for my unknown situation. I currently do not work. After lo is born, we're hoping I will be able to stay at home, but if I do go to work, it'd be part-time. Should I look at getting a pump? I wonder if it would be best to look into now to have for just in case, or wait until I know I'm going to go back to work? Also, what pump should I look into, manual/ electric, single/double? Thanks for any and all opinions and insights!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 I had to exclusively pump for dd for the first week, as we had tons of trouble at the start, and I'm a sahm. We figured it out eventually, and I stopped pumping, but pumps are not just for women who have to spend time away from their babies. As to pump types, insurance should cover one, so check there first. I had a medela pump in style, but might try a spectra this time. I also have a hand pump I use for short term travel.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Kenneylynn3 I echo @sejica - find one insurance covers and keep it just in case. Your DW might want to feed baby sometimes and you guys might want to be able to go on dates. I also had the medela PISA but plan to try spectra this time. I think my manual pump was medela brand and it worked fine when needed  :)
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @Kenneylynn3 as the other ladies said, it’s a good idea to see what your insurance covers and get that. I worked part time when DS was nursing, so used it then. But also used it to build up a frozen milk stash so I could go out with DH occasionally, or go to events with friends. It just allows you some freedom to be away from baby from time to time.
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited October 2018
    @Kenneylynn3 as the others have said, it's not just for working moms. I was home with LO for 10 months and built up a freezer stash for when DH and I wanted a date night or even if I just wanted to have a few drinks. Definitely look into what your insurance covers because if nothing else, you're paying for it through your insurance payments anyway you might as well take advantage of the benefit just in case. Most will cover a double electric pump with only the accessories needed to pump breastmilk. Other features like battery power, etc are upgrades you'd pay for. Usually the Medela PISA and the Spectra S2 (I think) are covered.

I would definitely go for an electric. The few times I've had to use my manual pump have had my hands cramping pretty quick and I don't think they're as efficient as the constant repetetive suction you get from the electric pump. And you lose a lot of time and milk (to leakage) when you pump one breast at a time vs both at once. Manuals are good to have around to relieve a little engorgement or if you have flatter nipples, to prep for nursing LO, or when traveling without convenient power or wanting to lug the whole electric pump, but not for every day.

ETA: @mamakate1616 mentioned your wife possibly wanting to induce lactation also. It always blows my mind that this is a possibility, but it totally is! If that is the case, I'd recommend you look at a closed system pump, like the Spectra. While it probably won't matter if you share it most of the time, if one of you is sick or gets an infection it's a good idea to be able to just change the parts and not have to worry about sanitizing the pump itself, which may or may not be possible with an open system pump like the Medela.
  • @Kenneylynn3 A breast pump can be a huge help too at times when your supply is low. Adding extra pumping sessions after or in between feedings can really boost your supply. There are also some situations where a baby might need to drink pumped milk from a bottle exclusively. 

If your insurance will cover it, an electric one is great, but hand pumps are cheap and pretty effective if you are only using occasionally. 
  • Thanks ladies for all the responses! I have looked into pumps, and I really like the spectra. I'd be fine with the s2. I will be calling the insurance company as aeroflow doesn't work with my insurance.
    @meggyme it blows my mind that it is possible as well. DW has no interest in lactation, but when it's DW's turn, I will definitely be up for this.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 I just meant she might want to feed baby a bottle  ;)
  • @mamakate1616 I knew that's what you meant. I brought up to her my debate on the pump, and she said something along the lines of, "well, yeah. What would I do if you didn't?" so I guess I should have talked to her about it first.

• oops, I just saw @meggyme’s edit so I thought that comment was to my thing about feeding baby. That would be such a cool thing to do together.
    My insurance doesn’t work with Aeroflow either and the company they do work with (Edgepark) doesnt offer the s1/s2. Boo! 
  • *bumping*

I used the plug in spectra last time and it still works fine. I was looking at my options yesterday and both Spectras are available as well as the other pumps you would expect. The freemie is also an option. Did anyone use this and would you say it’s as good as the Spectra or Medela? Playing with the idea of getting the freemie since I’ll have a 22 month old to entertain as well. I did a lot of pumping last time so I’m just a bit concerned that it won’t work as well.
  • @chocolatelemons I don't have any experience personally, but I am jealous you have access to the blue Spectra!  FWIW, I asked my coworker whether she liked her Medela PISA or her Sepctra (pink one) better and she told me once she got her Spectra and tried it, she put her Medela away in the closet. I'm sure it comes down to personal preference, but that swayed me enough to go with that one. I used the PISA last time and got annoyed that I kept getting moisture in the tubes, but liked it other than that and being chained to a wall. The blue Spectra has a rechargeable battery so you can use it wherever. 
  • @BuckeyeNut05 I’m definitely going with the blue  Spectra or freemie. I just like the idea of how travel friendly the freemie is. I also can get the spectra s9 which I haven’t done much research on.
  • @chocolatelemons Is the freemie a separate pump system? I though it was just a different flange system that still needed a regular pump.
  • @meggyme yes, it’s the freemie independence. The pump is tiny so you can carry it around with you.
  • Is anyone getting their pump through AeroFlow (I think you mentioned doing so before @meggyme)? I’m wondering if there’s a way to get the pump without the bag because it seems we’re essentially paying for the bag but the pump itself is fully covered. I really want that blue spectra (the one with the battery pack) but it’s not fully covered by insurance so I’d have to pay $135 😬😖
  • My insurance didn’t work with Aeroflow, I had to go thru Edgepark and they only had the pink spectra. I just my used FSA dollars and bought it off amazon. 
  • @mamakate1616 Hmm good point about using FSA dollars. I’ll have to consider that.
  • I’m going through a company called “Bryam” I have quite a few options. I used Medela PISA advanced and by the end it was slowly dying (I was having trouble getting enough milk for even the next day). I am trying to decide between the spectra 2 and the Freemie independence hands free this time.