January 2019 Moms

Baby Name Thread - Take Three

Re: Baby Name Thread - Take Three

• AshVA said:
    Kabazaba said:
    Haven't posted because DH and I have had NO idea for names for our little girl... until this weekend. We are thinking of Ovilee. Hopefully unique, pretty, and mostly phonetic. We aren't telling friends and family for fear of reactions - but I would be interested if any of you have strong feedback one way or the other? Also ISO short (1 or 2 syllable) middle names.
    Honestly, I'm not a fan. It sounds made up, and doesn't sound like a name to me.   It also makes me think of Ovaltine.
    +1
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Kabazaba said:
    Haven't posted because DH and I have had NO idea for names for our little girl... until this weekend. We are thinking of Ovilee. Hopefully unique, pretty, and mostly phonetic. We aren't telling friends and family for fear of reactions - but I would be interested if any of you have strong feedback one way or the other? Also ISO short (1 or 2 syllable) middle names.
    Also not a huge fan - sorry! It makes me think of "ovulate"  :s Also reminds me of Olive a bit, which I actually don't mind. Here are some names that are classics but not overly used that may still check that "unique" box so baby girl won't be one of a million other "x's":

Olive
    Audrey
    Margaret
    Florence
    Elsie
    Muriel
    Frances
    Ivy
    Agnes
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input! Hadn't thought of Ovulate/Ovaltine. Not *actually* made up, but I've only heard of one other person with that name so definitely not common. We had Olivia on the list but Olive isn't bad. Thanks for the recommendations @tosh24 !
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'm not even sure how to pronounce it @Kabazaba . I know you said it's phonetic but it's a weird name to me if it is. I like the idea of Olive and Olivia much more. Is it foreign in origin? I've just never heard it before. So it would definitely tick the unique box. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • @sparkymcgeee First syllable similar to Ollie (with V instead of L), second syllable lee. Ovilee. I guess it's more phonetic than my name but that's not necessarily saying a lot, since my parents did actually make up my first name #hippies
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @Kabazaba I agree with prior posters, that it kind of sounds like Ovaltine or Ovulate. Or some cool new drug that combines Ovaltine with ovulating ;) If it somehow melds really well with her last name, then, maybe? Otherwise I'd probably vote for Olive or Olivia or something a little more "traditional" as far as a first name. Not to rain on your parade! :(

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited October 2018
    Kabazaba  I don't mind it but I also have a super unusual, though also not made-up, name. I think people would pronounce it OH and AH both. I agree a bit more classic might have more longevity, but I don't think its a bad name. 
  • @Kabazaba not a fan of the name either, I actually thought it was a boy name until I read you are having a girl. I feel like spelling would be tricky all her life.
  • wkuandrea said:
    @Kabazaba I agree with prior posters, that it kind of sounds like Ovaltine or Ovulate. Or some cool new drug that combines Ovaltine with ovulating ;) If it somehow melds really well with her last name, then, maybe? Otherwise I'd probably vote for Olive or Olivia or something a little more "traditional" as far as a first name. Not to rain on your parade! :(
    Fertility treatment wouldn't have been so bad if my meds could have come in chocolate milk form! 

• @wildcat2017 as an Elizabeth myself as well, and I actually do go by the full name Elizabeth, I will say it’s very hard to keep it nickname free (as you might know). I get defaulted to Liz and Beth all the time by people the first time I talk to them at work and stuff. I also did have a nickname growing up (that I ditched in college) that my parents gave me after about a year because everyone was shortening on their own so they decided to at least pick one they liked. I have a feeling Catherine could be similar. Just something to be ready for if you went that route. 
  • AshVA said:
    Kabazaba said:
    Honestly, I'm not a fan. It sounds made up, and doesn't sound like a name to me.   It also makes me think of Ovaltine.

stuck in box but +1. I was trying to decide if it was like “Ovaltine” or “Oval-y.” What about Holly, Jubilee, or Olive for a similar sound, still uncommon, but more recognizable?
  • I have an Elizabeth and I love the versatility of it. We call her Elizabeth or Eliza. She likes Liz. My fil likes lizzy. I don't care for liz or lizzy but it's her name and she gets to pick what she goes by. She's 7 so what she goes by at school is totally her choice. It's still a beautiful and classic name. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Meimsx no more
  • @Kabazaba I have a friend with two daughters with unique names. One is actually, Oli and the other is Royce. I think both are really pretty names and unique. Just wasn’t sure if you’d considered maybe Ollie or Oli for a girl. Either way, don’t worry! You’ll find the right name. 
  • I would stay away from Olive too. A lot of people name their dogs Olive.
  • Hey guys! One more name question for you. My husband has two sisters, Elizabeth but she goes by Liz and Katherine but she goes by Katie. My first name is Elizabeth but I go by my middle name. We are having twins and team green. My husband is dead set on family names and suggested Catherine and Elizabeth if we are having girls. If we did do this, would it be weird to his sisters or an honor to have both of their names? I honestly, love both but just am not sure what to do. We cannot agree on ANYTHING but these two names as I feel like they are good solid choices. Please send your thoughts! We wouldn’t shorten either to nicknames. Thank you!!!!!
    I think this is VVV weird. Have you asked them if they were ok with it.  I personally don't want my siblings naming their kids my name.  Middle names honoring family is one thing but first names I would try to pick something where it's not going to be awkward at family events.  
  • Hey guys! One more name question for you. My husband has two sisters, Elizabeth but she goes by Liz and Katherine but she goes by Katie. My first name is Elizabeth but I go by my middle name. We are having twins and team green. My husband is dead set on family names and suggested Catherine and Elizabeth if we are having girls. If we did do this, would it be weird to his sisters or an honor to have both of their names? I honestly, love both but just am not sure what to do. We cannot agree on ANYTHING but these two names as I feel like they are good solid choices. Please send your thoughts! We wouldn’t shorten either to nicknames. Thank you!!!!!
    I think this is VVV weird. Have you asked them if they were ok with it.  I personally don't want my siblings naming their kids my name.  Middle names honoring family is one thing but first names I would try to pick something where it's not going to be awkward at family events.  
    I don't necessarily think it's weird but I would ask how they feel about it first. I like the idea of doing those names as middle names. We used SIL's middle name for DD's middle name and it's sweet how they have that connection without the confusion
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I used my living Grandma's first name as our daughters first name. We call her by a nickname though. What's funny is that I hear a few of my cousins were kind of like, ' oh I guess she gets that name huh? ' Granted she was the 6th girl born on that side of the family. And the one that was started it doesnt have kids. 

My grandma definitely feels honored by it and I think it makes their connection stronger.
  • @wildcat2017 I like both of those names in general, but I think calling your twin girls (if they end up both being girls) after his sisters would be a little odd. However, it depends on the family. Some families have old traditions of naming kids after other family members, and then it wouldn't be so odd. Naming one of them Elizabeth would be fine, since it's your name, too, then maybe chose a different name for the other child. or use middle names if you're going for honoring.
    Something to consider...with both of them being long names, it's very very likely that they'll be shortened by people. I think you could help direct the nicknames in general, like call her Beth or Ellie or Lizzie or something, but if you decide to use the full name, you can't help what people in school do, and you can't help what she decides to go by herself. I have a name that is commonly shortened (Jennifer) and even when I introduce myself as Jennifer, it's almost always eventually changed to Jen.

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Thanks everyone for the replies! I too, felt that naming them the same as the sisters was weird but my husband keeps saying they would be honored. We can’t agree on anything! At least Rlizabeth is my name so I can still choose to use that without feeling bad about it.
  • @wildcat2017 its so interesting to read people's perspectives! I don't think naming them after his sisters is weird AT ALL and actually think non-sentimental names people pick because they like them are weird. I think it is also a cultural thing. Maybe some people from the South are more in to family names?

It sounds like you have to ask them. But there are so many nicknames I don't see how it would be confusing. You could do Eliza and Kat, Beth and Katherine, etc.
  • I would stay away from Olive too. A lot of people name their dogs Olive.
    Exactly what my DH thinks when I suggested Duke. He goes, “that’s a dog’s name...” um...well, I like it. Lol.

still nada on boy’s name. 
  • AliKay20 said:
    Exactly what my DH thinks when I suggested Duke. He goes, “that’s a dog’s name...” um...well, I like it. Lol.

still nada on boy’s name. 
    The name Duke makes me think of those commercials from the 90s for color changing popsicles:

FWIW, as long as it’s not *your* dog’s name, I don’t see an issue using it as a name for your kid. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
  • Lol well the internet tells me our boy frontrunner name is a dogs name... Murphy.
    Ive never met a dog named Murphy before but I think I’d like him  ;)
  • Meanwhile our front runner for a boy is Felix, which has a cat association for a lot of people! Maybe I don’t mind because I like cats. (And also really like the “fortunate or happy” meaning of the name given the tough IVF road we took to get here.) 
  • DH and I can’t agree on a girls name. He likes Selene and Kenzie. I don’t mind Kenzie, but Selene only makes me think of Celine Dion. I like Isla and Norah. He doesn’t seem too keen on Isla and hasn’t been giving me much feedback on Norah. He keeps saying we’ll just have to wait until she’s born *sigh*.
  • @baileym9126 Norah  <3<3 I’m biased but it’s a pretty good name
  • SO MANY people tell me Samson is a dog's name. I don't think there's any human name that hasn't been used for a dog at least once. It's not like I'm naming him Sparky! Also, I used to work with a grown adult named "Buddy" and he didn't seem traumatized so whatever.
  • @kaf1788 I've never heard of a dog named Samson, and do not think of it as a dog's name. 

My dog's name is Charlie, and I think it's pretty common for both dogs and humans.. and the humans I know named Charlie don't seem fazed by it. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Meanwhile our front runner for a boy is Felix, which has a cat association for a lot of people! Maybe I don’t mind because I like cats. (And also really like the “fortunate or happy” meaning of the name given the tough IVF road we took to get here.) 
    I've met two Felix's in real life. I say go for it. That's an amazing meaning to symbolize the road you took to get him. 

Meimsx no more
  • @baileym9126 , Norah was our girl name. We were going to use it as a nickname to Elinor. I love it so much. 

Meimsx no more
  • DH, DD, and I all have names that start w A. Totally unintentional. Now everyone thinks this one also has to have a name that starts w A. Part of me wants to break this predictable trend but part of me wants to care less and if we like an A name, then we go for it.

The only name we partially agree on for baby boy is Aiden except get this:

DH wants to spell it Ayden. I want to stick with the traditional way and keep it Aiden. His argument is “there’s Hayden and Jayden so why not Ayden?” It’s a no from me. 
  • @AliKay20 I love the name Aiden! I’m also with you on keeping it Aiden and not Ayden, people would constantly misspell it, which might not bug some people, but would definitely annoy me.
  • @AliKay20 I love the name Aiden! I’m also with you on keeping it Aiden and not Ayden, people would constantly misspell it, which might not bug some people, but would definitely annoy me.
    This. I have a somewhat unconventional spelling and I HATE it. 

Meimsx no more
  • DH still has zero interest in discussing boy names. I've been asking 2 yo DD what she wants to name her little brother.. she says "Twinkle" every time. Bet he would love that by age 15, lol. My coworkers have also nicknamed my baby "Carter" (last name of one of my techs. Not going to lie, I don't hate that name, but now I CAN'T use it because I don't want everyone to think I named my kid after my coworker!!
  • I love the name Carter! 
  • @AliKay20 I prefer Aiden over Ayden, just like how it looks better. Good luck with DH on that one! 
  • @sweetyjenj  I love both of those names! I can definitely see why it’s hard to choose.

@AliKay20 If your DH doesn’t like the look of Aiden, maybe suggest the original anglicized version of the name: Aedan. I know someone who also went super traditional and chose the original Gaelic spelling of Aodhán. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
  • @sweetyjenj I love Oliver! Jackson Allen is good, but I there is a big country music singer named Alan Jackson. What about Jack Oliver? Or Oliver Allen? Some way to combine both names you like.