April 2019 Moms
Options

Projects to get done?

I'm sure all of us have projects or things we want/need to get done around the house? What are yours? Baby related or not!

Re: Projects to get done?

• Options
    1) Convert the attic to a bedroom
    2) Add a toilet and sink to the basement near the existing shower
    3) Convert half the basement to a playroom
    4) Repaint DS's room and convert to a nursery
    5) Declutter every effing room
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We need to move the elliptical into our bedroom and out of the room that will become baby’s. That will mean buying two small dressers to put next to our bed, and getting rid of the ugly, giant dresser we’ve had our entire marriage (my husband bought it in college). 
    I’ll probably decorate up the baby’s room at least a little. Maybe get some cute art and a mobile. 
    But, our biggest project is that we need to shorten some kitchen cabinets. We’ve lived in this house for a year and a half, and we still don’t have a fridge in our house because it won’t fit. Modern fridges are too tall for our 1950s cabinets. So right now we actually have to go to the garage to get food from the fridge. Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. I have to clean out the baby's room and paint it. Currently it is a guest bedroom/office.

2. Install my bedroom ceiling fan

3. Finish putting down the quarter round for my new floors downstairs

4. Get DH to put his crap away. He has comics/toys/clutter all over the living room/kitchen from being home for two months for his ankle surgery, and now that he's back to work, I need this mess cleaned up! It's driving me insane.

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    Our house is only a year old so mostly organizing. 

Right now the future baby's room is currently a catch all room so that will all need to be taken care of, then just painting and decorating. I do my own canvas paintings so that generally takes a while but I won't start that until we find out the gender
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    1. We need to finish the basement. DH started working on it in February and hasn't touched it since April. I've given him until the end of the month to get started on it again or I'm hiring someone. It's a 4th bedroom/what we will use as a playroom. We need it to be done to fit toddler crap and baby crap.

2. Repaint DD room and change her bed from a toddler bed to a twin. It won't be that hard. We just need to ask my mom to watch her one Saturday and it will get done. 

3. Obviously get baby's room ready. It's currently where we have put all the big baby gear from DD. 

4. Finish shelving in the garage. 

5. Stain the fence.

6. Landscape front yard.

Seriously, why is DH being a pain? I can just hire someone to do #1 and everything else is fairly easy!
  • Options
    Ha!  We moved into our house a week before we found out we are expecting.  It was a short sale, so there was some work to be done. 
    We need to:
    1. Finish painting- rest of downstairs, all the extra bedrooms (nursery included) and the guest bathroom.
    2. New window treatments in a good portion of the house (we've bought some already)
    3. Finish unpacking-it's only been 2 months, and I've been battling fatigue and nausea most of that time
    4. Powerwash outside of house
    5. Fix ice maker
    6. Hang pictures/decor (what little I have, I've completely changed color schemes from our condo to this house, so I got rid of most decor)
    7. Fix our bedroom door so it stays open
     This is just the list of things I can think of.  We've already painted a good portion of the house, hung some window treatments, fixed the sprinkler system, hubby is obsessed with the lawn so he's done fertilizer/weed killer etc, with more to do, and replaced all the smoke detectors with Nest smoke/carbon monoxide detectors.  
    Owning a home is a money suck, but I am so in love with this house, and so excited to bring our little boy home to it! 
  • Options
    1. Add thresholds and quarter round molding to new floors
    2. Paint stair rails and banister
    3. Get DD's big girl room together 
    4. Get new nursery together
    5. RIP out bushes in front of house and re-landscape
    6. Powerwash house and back deck
    7. Stain back deck
    8. Refinish dining room table
    9.Refinish dressers and nightstand for DD's new room 
    10. Plan DD's birthday party for next month 

...I'm getting overwhelmed making this list lol
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Options
    @mrstmoose this is a good thread.  I wish I was motivated to actually get anything done. I can barely get my house clean (it's not). 

To get ready for baby
    1. Move DD into her new room - need to paint, buy a mattress, put the bed together, get bedding, buy a new dresser. We also need to figure out how to cover a huge pain-in-the-butt window arch.  
    2. Repaint the nursery and install a ceiling fan. 

My DH is looking for a new job, and he's applying in new areas so we may need to move (hooray! I effing hate our house)...so we'd need to: install new carpet throughout and finish painting bedrooms, bathrooms, all trim to get it ready to sell.  We already had our realtor look at the house and those were her suggestions. 

We were planning this pregnancy and have been talking about moving so I already spent the spring landscaping, cleaning out drawers and closets, and donating items/throwing away items. I painted the main entrance, kitchen, living room and laundry room. I meant to finish painting but just didn't have time before getting pregnant.  DH is paranoid and doesn't want me to paint while I'm pregnant (I'm going to try to reason with him because he sucks at painting). 
  • Options
    Piccola1988Piccola1988 member
    edited September 2018
    I have to make lots of decisions before I can even solidify my to-do list, but here it goes...

1.  Decide if we will bother putting away the stuff our 9 month old is outgrowing (or the things like his bassinet that should have been put in the attic months ago), or just leave everything for the next 7 months.  I think we should probably put it all away, but ugh...disassembly  :/

2.  Clean out the guest room, which will become our son's room - we're leaving the nursery in tact and probably just changing the decor for the new baby.  We'll just leave the guest room furniture, take the existing bed off the frame for safety, and add some decor.  Need to decide when we'll do this - possibly not until the new baby is almost ready to move from our room to the nursery so we can keep the guest room a little longer.

3.  Buy/place/move decor for both kids' rooms.

4.  Possibly renovate the upstairs bathroom if we can find the time.

5.  Reorganize all closets so guest room drawers/closets can be emptied.

6.  Paint touchups throughout the house.

7.  Finish landscaping the backyard.

I numbered these, but now I realize they aren't in order at all.  Oh well.

ETA:  OH, DUH, and I have to plan my son's first birthday party for December (@shallowseas you reminded me!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Add a closet to what will be the nursery
    Get A/C installed
    Redo pantry to make it more functional
  • Options
    Renovate my entire house? 

1. Thin sheetrock over popcorn ceiling (asbestos remediation).

2. Fix leak in bathroom!!

3. Clear out guest room so it can be turned into the nursery. 

4. Remove carpeting, sand off glue, refinish floors.

5. I have a million more but am already overwhelmed lol.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @fuzzywombat you're my hero for going without A/C.
  • Options
    @mrstmoose It really depends where you live though... like, I have no A/C, but would be less of a hero because we only hit 90 a few times a year. In Florida? Big hero!
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    Ah @fuzzywombat yes. We need to get our A/C installed as well.  The irony is DH is an HVAC tech.  We bought the unit back in May or June and it's still not in, ha. 
  • Options
    Soooo many.

Start building our bed ( which will likely never happen) 
    Clear out our storage unit and build a shed on my in laws field so we don’t pay $150 a month to house junk that DH won’t get rid of.
    Make over our bedroom and organize it so I can fit the baby stuff in there for at least 6 months.
    Add an extension to the rabbit cage so they have more space to run around because they’re getting chunky.
    Build a bunk bed for DD that you can park a car on because I’m terrified of bunk beds and had a stepbrothers moment with one ( top bunk fell on top of me).

• Options
    Ha! I live in Seattle so I’m definitely no hero! 
  • Options
    We just had our kitchen, family room and hallway repainted and it feels so good to have that done. We have to create a new guest room and then a new kids room. If it’s a boy we will move DS out and create a big boy room. If it’s a girl I get to go crazy with a girl nursery lol. I’m not doing NIPT so waiting til basically Christmas for the ultrasound feels like torture. I wanna know because we have things to do! 
  • Options
    I have shopping lists, small (<24 hr) tasks, and construction (>24 hr) tasks in iPhone notes for every floor of our house. That we don’t live in. I need DH’s cousin the electrician to visit and bang out some of the electrical work at least.

DH also has a list of projects for his parents’ house (that we do live in for now).

And there’s an enormous to-do list for the house that we are trying to buy, including gutting the first floor and installing insulation throughout. And moving into it.

None of these plans include a nursery - sorry kids!
  • Options
    Props to those living without air conditioning, especially if you live in the south!

1) paint the front door. My mom/dad have actually volunteered to do it I just have to finalize a color
    2) DH wants to build a shed for the kids outside toys and ride ons so he can park in the garage lol
    3) We were suppose to finish the playroom in the basement but blueberries weren’t very good this year so we’ll have to put that off another year
    4) Get DS a new headboard so we can convert his bed back to the crib
    5) Deep clean the house
  • Options
    My list changes drastically depending on if we're able to build a house before baby or after baby.  

Ahhhh, limbo. 
  • Options
    We are kind of in the same place as @Bringmemylongswordho

Our lease is up in November and we are trying to figure out if we are staying another full year, half year or at all. We have been tossing around the idea of buying land with my parents and each building a house. But we aren’t sure if the timeline works out. 

If we don’t move this year we will for sure move next year because I don’t like any of the schools around us and DD starts next fall. 

We mostly need to just clean out some extra space and buy some baby stuff since ours got ruined in storage. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one in house buying/moving limbo. I feel like nesting like crazy but have to hold myself back from starting any projects and I just learned that BFs whole company is moving to Denver... so eventually I will end up.. somewhere. Ahhhg.
  • Options
    So much on the list. We just moved into the house less than a year ago and I'll just say that there was shag carpet in the bathroom if that tells you anything. That was gone day 2 and we just finished redoing all the upstairs flooring and painting.

1. Remove the kitchen carpet and get the tile cleaned up.
    2. Scrub the walls in the entryway of the wallpaper glue so we can paint.
    3. Powerwash the siding.
    4. Get the garden cleared out in the next month since fall is finally here.
    5.Organize the garage.
    6. Organize the basement

So so many things lol. Cant way we didnt know what we were walking into. We just really loved this house despite the 50s decor.

• Options
    We have a 2bedroom uh.... cabin? It’s unique and tight. 
    I need to
    make space in dd room for storage
    make space in my dresser for baby clothes and in my side of the room for a cradle (eill
    probably co-sleep after we are passed the exhausted newborn/tiny baby phase)

clear out 1/2 or the laundry cabinet and over the dryer prep and place the cloth diapers (I’ll wait till feb or so to do this) make dryer into changing table. 

Clean everything. 

Get all all of the sewing stuff into the sewing area. 

Sew tons of baby clothes, especially pants. (Sort of waiting until sex is revealed, but making lots of nuetral ones currently) 

Dump all the toys into a pile and sort and put back where they go. Ugh. 

Tend the dog bed. 

• Options
    The same week we bought our house, I tore my ACL and wound up having surgery. A little over a month later - while I was still on crutches - we found out about this LO and the first tri has been kicking my ass.  The fact that you ladies can even ARTICULATE the projects you need to get done puts you leaps and bounds ahead of me!
  • Options
    ...this thread gives me anxiety just looking at it, haha.

You ladies all rock, and I'm positive everything will work out/get done!  And if it doesn't, it'll still work out.

As for me, I don't want to even write our list because it'll give me a headache, lol.  Most of the stuff that needs to be done has to be done by someone else anyway (i.e, we're waiting on a contractor to fix our roof).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited September 2018
    @kbirchtree I want to hear more about this cabin!

also, I totally dumped all the toys out - and the diaper/cloth basket - and got everything sorted back into the proper basket yesterday. Found DH’s missing keys!
  • Options
    I do not envy those of you that are or may be moving, but I do empathize!  We moved from a 1BR city apartment to our house in the suburbs when I was over 7 months pregnant last time and it was brutal.  BUT it can be done and we had everything in good shape by the time baby came. It was by the skin of our teeth and we’re still playing a little catchup on some smaller projects and non-necessity renovations but it worked out fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @angelob88 carpet in the bathroom and kitchen? What were those people thinking? 
  • Options
    @lyse01 we live where we work at a camp in the redwood forest. So it was a 1 room cabin in the 40s and in the 80’s ish they added bedrooms. We are kind of built on the side of a creek (high enough to avoid flooding) 

Cabinets and trim are still all wood but we do have painted walls which is nice. We took the cast iron fire stove out when we had my daughter and turned the brick corner area into sewing storage. 

We have about 7redwood trees close around us and they are about 150-200 feet tall each. So very little sun hits us. No air conditioning but the tall trees help. 

Our yard is just dirt because of the shade, working on getting wood chips from Camp to make it more
    pleasant. 

:) Our rooms are not tiny, but the amount of storage space is not enough for long term living. Or we have too much stuff. 
  • Options
    Clean out guest room and paint.
    Prep baby’s room.
    Somehow take care of the jungle in the backyard. DH said he was going to turn it into a pond but alas it hasn’t changed...at all...all summer!
    and I think that’s about all. I’m sure more stuff will be added to the list.

Good luck ladies! Hope we get all the things done!!
  • Options
    @kbirchtree cool! Also, it sounds like you need more furniture that doubles as storage...like built-in bench seating for the table that stores all dining room linens, seasonal decorations, and out of season/wrong size baby clothes. 

On second thought, I have too much stuff, because I have like 10 boxes of that stuff and it’s totally not fitting around a normal table. Sorry :)
  • Options
    Turn closet into half bath in master. 
    Reconfigure closet in nursery (make wall to wall) and steal old closet for master.  
    Remove carpet and add hardwoods to bedrooms. 
    New single car garage with studio apartment above it. 
    Lots of gardening things. 
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    We just moved Memorial Day, and we're trying to get lots of projects done. We just finished updating our kitchen cabinets, so it's nice to have a big project behind us!

Still wanting to: 
    Move the ceiling fan in the dining room up to the bedroom that doesn't have a fan
    Find and install a new dining room light
    Paint hopefully all of the bedrooms upstairs
    Get our toddler out of the crib, maybe to just a mattress on the floor, not sure yet

There's more, but I'm already tired looking at this list, so I'm stopping here, lol 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Not to brag but I totally completed this project by myself today and had extra screws😂😂 (I hope everyone is reading this is a sarcastic voice lol)
    fyi DS got this for Christmas last year..... 
  • Options
    @blueberrymomma, it will get played with so much more than if it was together at Christmas! Spreading out the gifts is awesome :) 

@lyse01i think I need to downsize about 20% of my person items and then we can fit a new person in here. 
  • Options
    @kbirchtree we always spread the gifts out since the kids get so much from grandparents. Then we donate whatever we haven’t opened the next Christmas 
  • Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited September 2018
    @blueberrymomma I should apply this in my future.

ETA: MIL looooves Christmas and made it a magical season for DH. She put clues in an Advent calendar and had him searching for things all season long. She wants to do the same for DD. I support this. I just don’t want tiny crap gifts that I have to have visible for a few months but would rather have, I dunno, a recipe card for something we’ll bake together that afternoon or something.
  • Options
    DD is going to be moved into the guest bedroom so we have some decorations and furniture to buy as well as painting. I'm going to redo the nursery but not until later

I've also well wanting to redo the play room. I never got around to decoration it so that's on my list
  • Options
    lyse01 said:
    I have shopping lists, small (<24 hr) tasks, and construction (>24 hr) tasks in iPhone notes for every floor of our house. That we don’t live in. I need DH’s cousin the electrician to visit and bang out some of the electrical work at least.

DH also has a list of projects for his parents’ house (that we do live in for now).

And there’s an enormous to-do list for the house that we are trying to buy, including gutting the first floor and installing insulation throughout. And moving into it.

None of these plans include a nursery - sorry kids!
    Progress: - moved into house we own (but stuff hasn’t fully moved) - accomplished very little of the to-do lists - didn’t buy the second house so have none of that list to do - yay! - working on downsizing my own stuff How’s everyone else doing?