March 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Babywearing

meggymemeggyme member
edited September 2018 in March 2019 Moms
Soft structured carriers, ring slings, wraps, there are lots of options for hands free baby carrying.

A great resource (although I think the international organization went bankrupt recently) is Baby Wearing International. Many local chapters still have meetings with educators and lending libraries.

DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: Product Spotlight: Babywearing

• Options
    I had the ergo 360 when DD was little. I didn’t bother with the infant insert, just rolled up a blanket for her to sit on to bring her to the proper height.

When she was about 6 months I got a ring sling. I LOVE it. It fit in the diaper bag better and was easy to toss her into for quick errands when I didn’t want the stroller but carrying her for 15-30 minutes wasn’t an option either. I plan to use the ring sling for the newborn stage with this LO. It will probably be my primary carrier.

We also had a Lillebaby carry on toddler carrier for when DD was 23 months and we toured Europe. It was great and now I wish I had checked out more than just the Ergo before making the decision. The Lille baby has a nice lumbar support pad that I intend to steal and use with the ergo.
  • Options
    FTM here. I was looking at the lilliebaby 360 baby toddler all seasons. I like that it will grow with them. Anyone tried this? Pros and cons?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a moby wrap with DD for most of the first year. It was a pain to wrap but it was the only way I could function as DD wouldn’t let me set her down. I was also too new to carriers to shop around.  

When DD was about 1.5/2 I bought a Tula toddler carrier, which she can still technically fit in and she’s 4.5 now. I love the Tula and can’t wait to use it with this one. 

I would like to get something else for the newborn stage. I was thinking ring sling, but I don’t know much about them. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    During the newborn and tiny infant stage, I LOVED my K'tan. We had an Ergo 360, but never really used it. I'd like another soft-structured carrier, but something that isn't so heavy/hot as the Ergo we had.
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited September 2018
    We used a very old school (no waist support) second-hand carrier for a couple weeks, then a woven wrap I sewed myself, and then an Infantino Upscale soft structured carrier. 

I bought the Infantino because it was cheap. When I upgrade, I'm still deciding. I'm leaning toward a Lillebaby or Beco carrier. One thing I want is one that's taller in terms of how far up it goes on the baby's back, which both of those seem to have. One negative I've heard of the Ergo is that it's not as tall that way, and neither is the Infantino. I like the Beco because it has straps that cross in the back. 

Had anyone used backpack frame carriers once their kids are older and has a brand or certain one they recommend? (These are more for hiking/type stuff rather than everyday.) We're starting to look toward one of those for our daughter, especially toward next summer when she will be 2. 

ETA: forgot more about the Infantino. It works fine. I'd like something, as I said, that is higher in the back and a little higher quality, but it seems to work great as far as a cheap carrier goes. It holds their legs in the right position and is comfortable. 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing during our Europe trip my friends carried their 40lb 3 yr old in a deuter kid comfort 2. They both liked it and it seemed fairly easy to get on/off and had lots of storage and a kick stand.

@novelblessings ring slings are pretty easy to figure out if you are interested. I’d go for a single layer with metal rings in a stiff but breathable material like linen. It softens up over time but still holds up to a lot of wear. You thread it like one of those two ring belts from the 90’s (through both rings and back through the top) and then you can pretty much leave it that way. They pack up really small, which is why I like mine.
  • Options
    We used the Onya Baby carrier, which works well for hikes and around the house but did require the infant insert. I’ve found it quite comfortable, and my husband really liked using it too.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I tried using the k’tan during newborn- 4 months-ish but DS didn’t love it. I plan on trying again with #2. We bought the Stokke
    carrier at about 12 months which has some structure. I really liked this one and DS loves it. He’s 16 months and 23 pounds now and fits in it fine still. 

I tried the Sakura Bloom onbuhimo but I HATED it. It dug into my shoulders so much. Returned that one.
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons oh no! I was worried that would be the case. Those onbus are so nice to look at but they definitely don’t look comfy! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 I’ve heard onbuhimos are good for pregnant women since it takes the pressure of your hips, but that would be the only time I’d use it. Some people love them though so I guess it’s just a personal preference. 
  • Options
    ashley14598ashley14598 member
    edited September 2018
    We had we had the moby wrap and I hated it! It was a pain to wrap and always ended up hurting my back. We got the infantino when he was probably 3-6 months because he hated being put down and I couldn’t figure that wrap out! I loved the infatino because it just clips right into place. I found it so easy and quick. 

ETA: because I hit submit too early
  • Options
    With Jack we had an Ergo 360 and Moby Wrap. Not a fan of the moby for the same reasons. Just such a pain to wrap. My husband loved it though. 

This time around I’m definitely going to be investing in a ring sling. 

@lovesclimbing we ended up finding a used Kelty hiking pack for Jack via Craigslist. It’s been awesome. 
  • Options
    Are any of you STM's short (under 5'4") or have a short torso? I'm worried about finding a SSC with a good fit. I've heard lots of good things about Tula and Lillebaby and those are currently at the top of my list. Any shorter mamas used those with good results? 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    We used an Ergobaby wrap when both DDs were small (longer for DD1 because she's a teacup human), then switched to the Ergo 360.  My best friend made me a ring sling that I would carry around for quick trips, but have never really used it that much mostly because the girls never seemed to like it.  And, only sort of related, we have an Osprey Poco AG for hiking (which is AMAZING).
  • Options
    Thanks @Shelbyville30 and @meggyme

For people reading this who don't see a lot of wrap love, know there are people out there who like them a lot!

I wasn't a huge fan, but some tips to make them easier. 

Definitely practice at home with your baby before you need to go out. 

This is probably the most common and basic wrap, and it's the same for either stretchy or woven wraps. And it's super simple to do on your own without needing someone else to hold the baby in position. https://wrappingrachel.com/2015/10/22/master-your-stretchy-wrap-pocket-wrap-cross-carry-photo-tutorial/

A friend of mine kept the ends of her stretchy wrap tied together and she was able to just wrap it around herself pretty quickly and easily without needing to adjust and tie every time. This won't work with a woven wrap because there's no stretch, and it needs to be tight to hold the baby safely. 
  • Options
    I had an ergo 360 and a stretchy wrap for DS. I liked the wrap when he was smaller but the 360 was great when he got bigger because he was heavy AF. This time I want to try a Tula/ maybe a ring sling! I also kind of want to get a shower sling for the days when you can't put baby down. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @catlady2015 A good friend of mine is about 5’4 or a little under and she loved the Lillebaby. 

I recommend trying some different ones on especially because they can be expensive. You can try them on at Target or BuybuyBaby. If you can find a baby boutique nearby, they’d probably have even more options. That’s where we got our Stokke- something I’d never even heard of before.
  • Options
    We used a sleepywrap (just like the moby) with DD1 but I got a k'tan for DD2 b/c I didn't think I would have time to wrap while also keeping up with DD1 and boy was I right. It worked like a charm for tiny littles but was fast to put on. 

For when DD1 got bigger and outweighed the wrap we got a cheap infantino that I could wear on my back but we only used it a couple of times and it wasn't very comfortable. I gave it away to a church rummage sale. We also got an old school frame hiking backpack carrier from a consignment store. I didn't use it much because it wasn't comfortable for my back and shoulders since it holds the child up higher but my DH used it just fine and actually liked it.

We learned a whole lot from this and I was much more prepared for DD2. 

After she started to outweigh the k'tan (didn't take her long, only 3 months) I went to a local babywearing group and tried out a woven ring sling. I bought it because DD loved being on my hip and seeing out but by the time she was 6 months old it was too uncomfortable to use which was a shame because I loved how fast it was to throw on and put DD in. For those who are big chested and/or have back/shoulder issues: be advised that ring slings (while great for a smaller baby) do throw your center of gravity and all your weight onto one side.

I bought a lillebaby 360 that has breathable air holes. I loved it, it was versatile, the rise on their back could be adjusted, I LOVED the back/lumbar pad for me and the material it was made of. I wore DD2 in that (mostly on my front and back) for a long time.

I observed a mom friend who was very practiced at wrapping with a woven, (she was on baby #5) successfully wrap her several weeks old newborn onto her back securely. (Her newborn was a good size, mind you, I think 12 lbs by the time she was 6 weeks!) I was quite in awe and have been eyeing some less expensive hand-woven wraps from MX on etsy. I'd like to give it a go just to have my front free a little bit. I've watched youtube videos and obviously you have to be very comfortable with wrapping. I'm not sure if it will happen, but I've been giving it some serious thought. Woven wraps seem so much more versatile than stretchy wraps.
  • Options
    @Lbloom I don’t think back carries are advised until baby can sit up unassisted. And not being able to see them you can’t tell if their chin is on their chest blocking their airways. Most newborn carries are front carries.
  • Options
    @meggyme I realize this. It makes me a bit nervous, too. That's why I mentioned how experienced this mom was. Back carries for tiny babies aren't generally advised in this country but are used quite frequently in other cultures.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! This is all completely new to me and had no idea there were so many options... 

Does the type of carrier you use matter depending on what activity you're doing? Or is the goal to just find something that's comfortable and it doesn't matter where you're using it? For example, I imagined myself frequently using a carrier while walking my dog in a park I go to every morning that has a wooded area with dirt trails, so basically a 40ish-minute easy hike. Does the type of carrier matter if I'm using it in that setting vs. walking around the grocery store? 
  • Options
    @bug_hunter I’d say yes. For extended wearing I’d definitely go with a soft structured carrier. They usually have more hip support so the weight isn’t completely on your shoulders. You could also use that for grocery store trips, etc. they’re pretty easy to nurse in as well if you set yourself up properly.

Ring slings I’d say are more for frequent in/out trips. Running errands like into the post office, picking up a gallon of milk or standing in line for a quick coffee. Especially after baby is too heavy to carry in a car seat but can’t walk and you might not want to carry without a carrier. I liked it because it rolled up small and fit in my diaper bag, so often I’d run a couple errands without it or something would take longer than expected, my arm would get tired and I’d be able to pull it out and toss kiddo in it quickly.

You could easily use one or the other as your primary carrier, but I think they both have their advantages (and the ring slings can be found fairly cheaply, like $40) that it’s worth having both so you’re never without one.

An added perk of ring slings, I intend to use mine as a pregnant belly support as I get bigger, kind of like a rebozo. Wraps can do this also (and are probably better suited for it, but whatever). Sorry for the novel...
  • Options
    @bug_hunter - The type of carrier does depend on what you are doing, and your comfort needs, age/size of baby, your body type, etc. The ones that seem to work for most ages/activities, experience etc. are the soft, structured buckle carriers like ergos, lillebaby, tula and many more. You can buy inserts for them that can hold tiny babies, but sometimes people use rolled up blankets to bring their tiny bottoms up to the right height. Woven wraps are also very accommodating but you have the learning curve of finding out how to wrap, which isn't for everyone. A lot of people have more than one carrier because they find some work better for different activities, ages, comfort etc. 
  • Options
    @meggyme Thank you!! I am clueless about all of this and appreciate details so no need to apologize! 
  • Options
    @Lbloom Thanks for the further clarification! I'm unfamiliar with the brand names/styles so having it broken down is really helpful. 
  • Options
    @bug_hunter see if there’s a baby wearing international chapter still open near you. The organization recently went bankrupt but a lot of the local chapters are still operating. They usually have a library of carriers to try on and see the difference and ask questions and learn to use them properly.
  • Options
    @Kenneylynn3 I have the lillebaby carrier. I think its the airflow, even though we live in MN. Both me and DH love it. Its super comfortable, easy to use. I'm 5'3". Its the only one that DD liked. I love the soft wraps, especially the solly, but DD really didn't. She was very colicky, even carried. I'm going to try them again anyway this time. I found them easy to use. 
  • Options
    @catlady2015 I’m 5’3 and I love my Lillebaby. I wish I had invested in it with my first but I’ve used it SO much with my second. Grocery store runs, church, hikes, etc. I love that I can use it in all positions. 

I tried a couple of wraps and ring slings but I think because I’m short/small I just ended up with all this extra material and it was not comfortable. 
  • Options
    This is such a great thread. Thanks so much for all the insights.

My daughter never liked any carriers. We were gifted a few different hand-me-downs in different styles and she hated all of them. I am really hoping this new baby will be more amenable to the carrier, and this conversation is really helpful. 
  • Options
    I have and love: a hiking frame backpack style carrier, a ssc (classic ergo), a balboa baby (ring sling type carrier), a ktan, and 2 woven wraps (linen blend in a 7 and an all cotton in an 8). DH happily uses everything but the wraps.
    I have but don't use: a traditional woven ring sling and a Moby.

I cannot recommend highly enough the balboa baby if you're considering ring slings. It's to traditional ring slings like the ktan is to stretchy wraps (like the Moby). @mammabearcher there isn't any tail (extra fabric) on it, and at 5'2", I also hated dealing with yards and yards of (pretty) fabric.

Just to throw a little love here for woven wraps, after 15 lbs the stretchy wraps just don't provide enough support for my comfort, and the woven can be used from day 1 (front carry, obv), so if you're only getting 1 carrier I'd consider a getting a woven over a stretchy wrap (Moby). They also can be used in more configurations than most ssc. Yes there is a steeper learning curve, but there is also longevity. Though obviously I wasn't in the 'just getting 1 camp' lol.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit, my daughter was the same way. She was fine when she was a newborn for the first month or two, and then she'd just struggle unless we were walking. If I put her in it because she was fussy so she'd feel held or just to get her out of the way while cleaning, nope. She'd struggle and fuss and try to lift her head. Standing in one spot and moving from foot to foot didn't count!

We ended up never wearing her except for constant movement like hikes or walks. I also turned her outward facing sooner than you're supposed to (FFFC?) and just made sure I had a hand there to help support her head. That helped, but not a lot. At the store, I also put her in the cart seat at the store before she could sit independently and just stuffed my diaper bag on one side and coat on the other so she'd be supported. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

You do what you gotta do. Some babies just aren't babywearing babies. 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing Yes, I think she is just not the wearing kind. She is a really independent kid, and she does not like anyone touching her or holding her unless it is on her terms. Definitely not a cuddly kid. 

I am really hoping this one will be into baby wearing because with a 2 year old to look after it will be very helpful to have 2 free hands. Fingers crossed! 
  • Options
    Does anyone have suggestions for a carrier for a newborn under 8lbs? I know I wore DD in the Moby prior to her being newborn size because she didn’t hit newborn size until about 3-4 months. I don’t want to mess with the Moby again this time but also want to be prepared for a small baby. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options

Does anyone have suggestions for a carrier for a newborn under 8lbs? I know I wore DD in the Moby prior to her being newborn size because she didn’t hit newborn size until about 3-4 months. I don’t want to mess with the Moby again this time but also want to be prepared for a small baby. 

I haven't had a baby that small to test, but most of the well known brands say 7+ pounds - Lillebaby, Ergo, Beco, Tula. 

You could always try the Baby Ktan. It's like a wrap but simpler. The downside is it's sized, so you and your spouse couldn't use the same one unless you are similarly sized. They don't give a minimum weight except to say you should consult a doctor if your baby is a preemie. 
  • Options
    So idk how kosher this really is in the babywearing world, but I made myself a ktan using dollar store T-shirt’s. You could make one for each of you, sized exactly how you need it for pretty cheap. I never used an actual ktan so I can’t compare, but she always felt pretty secure.

https://schamelot.blogspot.com/2012/05/no-sew-baby-ktan-wrap-style-carrier.html?m=1

Someone further up post said something about being able to wrap the money without untying the ends. That might also be an option. I also think there are premie wrap and ring sling carries.

• Options
     meggyme said:
    So idk how kosher this really is in the babywearing world, but I made myself a ktan using dollar store T-shirt’s. You could make one for each of you, sized exactly how you need it for pretty cheap. I never used an actual ktan so I can’t compare, but she always felt pretty secure.

https://schamelot.blogspot.com/2012/05/no-sew-baby-ktan-wrap-style-carrier.html?m=1

Someone further up post said something about being able to wrap the money without untying the ends. That might also be an option. I also think there are premie wrap and ring sling carries.

:o:o  I am so trying that this time!!! That looks amazing! I didn't love my woven wrap I made. Just too complicated to wrap and hard to get right. I've never tried a stretchy wrap, but I'm going to try this! Thanks!
  • Options

@lovesclimbing Here’s DD in the one I made. I probably should have made it with a size M shirt, this is a L. Basically you make it with a few shirts that fit you and then as it stretches it’s still snug when you put a baby in it. She always felt pretty secure but I should have dozed down a bit. Now would probably be a good time to source the shirts before we all get much bigger.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @novelblessings I used the k’tan with my son as a newborn. He was 7 lb 6 oz so close to 8 lb. The good thing about the k’tan is that it’s pretty inexpensive. You can also find used ones pretty easily.
  • Options
    I also have a Ergo 360 from DD. About her whole 6th month it was the only way we could get her to sleep. At all. So for that I loved it but I have wondered about others being more light weight and comfortable. When she was really small I had a moby wrap and love love loved it. I really want a ring sling this time. 
  • Options
    @catlady2015 Im 5' and just got a lillebaby and am loving it! When my daughter was born i got the cheap infantio one, it worked fune but lacked much needed support. I saw all the new moms with the lillebaby in the newborn group and was instantly jealous. With the second coming along i knew i had to get it this time but i ended up buying second hand for half the price through a buy/sell/trade page on fb.

Since DD was so tiny as a newborn she didn't weigh enough to go into many soft carriers so i bought a ring sling to use the first few months till she was big enough. I'll most likely being be doing the same thing with this one.