April 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• kangstadtkangstadt member
    edited September 2018
    @lyse01, I LOVE the name Aurora, but I know an Aurora personally.  My best friend's name is Tiana, so I was steering away from Tatiana also, haha.

I like Gwenivere too :smile:.

How would you pronounce Brenna if you saw it spelled like that?  Personally I was saying it "bren (rhymes with wren) ah," but wondering if others might see it differently and mispronounce..

Brenna Faye or Brenna Sage are my top choices right now... if only I can convince DH :tongue:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt nailed it! I’d go with Bren-nah, but wonder if it should be Brianna or Breanna.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kangstadt it definitely looks like it sounds, Brenna is so cute! 
    I've known a bunch of Briannas and their names always get mixed up because people don't know if it's "anna" or "ah-nuh"
    There's no confusion with Brenna, it just is :)
  • @kaleesi93, thanks! It supposedly has Irish roots too, and I'm Irish on my mom's side so I like the idea of honoring my heritage too.  It's definitely growing on me, now to convince DH, lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I’m so jealous that so many of you already have names narrowed down. I basically knew DDs and DSs names before they were conceived but a third name that sounds good with the other two is hard.
    i have a Lillian (Lily) and a Camden (Cam) so I feel like the next one needs to end with a “n” as well. I also prefer names that I can shorten into a nickname 
    Boys: Jaxon, Braxton. Beckett is my fav, Declan

Girls: Hadley, Lanie, Natalie, Charlotte, Melanie, Ashlynn, Haylie

Hayden( boy or girl)
  • I definitely say Brenna rhyming with Wren-nuh. 

I just laid on our couch for an hour reading our name book from DS. If we can find out the sexes of the twins I’m gonna be starting over again I think. The Singleton names I like I can’t think of anything to go with. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @kangstadt you're right! At least one of my Scottish relatives in the family tree is a Brenna, I've always loved how rich it sounds spoken with a Scottish accent 

@blueberrymomma I love Hayden so so much, my boyfriend isn't sold on it though. 
    I studied music history and Haydn has so much heritage. 
  • @MRDCle God help us if we ever end up with twins. My DH feels like the names should go together/practically be matchy and I feel like they are their own people and their names should go together in a general sense and go with other kids but they shouldn’t be matchy. We would be so screwed. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @thatbaintforbetty oof yeah I don’t love matchy matchy but I do like sibsets to have similar style. I think DH and I are on the same page at least :D 
  • @kaleesi93 would you have a nickname for Hayden? That’s what has be stuck because I don’t want to call him/her Hay lol.
  • @blueberrymomma, I like Hayden, Hadley, and Beckett a lot.  Not sure what you could do for a nickname for Hayden though.

@MRDCle and @thatbaintforbetty, yeah, no, I think matchy/rhyme-y names for twins is pretty outdated and overdone.  I know twins that are Nathaniel and Daniel, Layla and Makayla... those poor kids!  I'm all for sibling names that sound good, but rhyming?  Oof.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @thatbaintforbetty I had twin classmates Emmy and Jenny (Emily and Jennifer), which was a decent compromise to make less matchy, but I think I’d prob just choose family names without any concern for matchiness.

@blueberrymomma in my family, the nickname for Hayden would end up being Shmoo or something. Or maybe Denny.

but for reals, look in the family tree for last names ending in N that could work as first names. 
  • @lyse01 If this one is a girl and DH gets his way (which is likely) then they will have matchy nicknames. DD has the nickname of Silly and the girl name would be Liliana with the nickname of Lily. I’m okay with the nicknames being matchy, just not their full names. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @lyse01 that’s a good idea to look at family last names but these are the ones from both sides; Berkompas, Tackas, Hutchinson, Hirn, Stewart, Harden, Lurtzma...... I don’t think any of them will make the cut lol
    @kangstadt I think Beckett Hirn (Becks) and Hadley Bleu (Hattie) are my top name I just haven’t had time to talk to DH  about it. And I’m not 100% about how they sound with Camden and Lillian.
    (FYI Hirn is my maiden name and I’ve always liked Bleu as a middle name)
  • I love Beckett Hirn. 
  • @blueberrymomma I would use it for a boy and in all reality I don't think he would have nicknames based in his name... like my friends have boys gus and shepherd and there just aren't really a lot of options, we would probably call him Hayden and his nickname would be cheese monster or something ridiculous lol 
  • Is Hade a weird nickname for Hayden?
  • @kaleesi93 Are your friends space geeks? I see those names and I think Gus Grissom and Alan Shephard. But that may more an indication of my geekiness than theirs :lol: 
  • For us, our girl name is pretty much locked in: Marisol, with the nickname Mari.

DH and I both love it for a couple reasons. It is a derivative of Mary, which pays tribute to my grandmother who was like a second mum to me. It is a traditional Spanish name, which was important to me because DH is European and I worry about our kids losing touch with their Latino culture. Lastly, it translate literally to "Sun and Sea". DH and I were married on the beach and a beautiful day on the water is our favorite place to be.

But boy names...what a headache. Years ago, long before we were even engaged, future DH asked if we ever had kids could we consider calling a boy Roger after his dad. Of course I said yes without second thought. Flash forward to the present and I am realizing I really don't want to call a boy Roger. However, DH is adamant about honoring his Dad and no compromise will suffice.

So at this point I am just patiently waiting the results of my NIPT and hoping it is a girl to avoid the whole Roger debate.
  • @wearegroot not that I know of.. they're just hip I think! My boyfriend is a total space nerd though and he likes the name Shepherd.. I do too.. it's just.. nothing feels right.. I know that sounds super dumb.. but I just don't feel like our baby will be a shepherd... probably making no sense haha
    Also ^knottie I feel that way about Roger too... it's such a good old name but.. for a baby... a little squish named Roger... maaaybe not.. but it's too bad!
  • Roger has the additional super cute old nicknames of Hodge (or Dodge), though. And, if the kid is into pirates they’ll be psyched about Jolly Rogers lol. I think it’s a pretty good name.
  • For girls I love:

Ava

Charlie

Amelia-milly 

Rae

Grace 

For boys, I love:

Wesley

Charlie

Oliver

Joshua

Grayson

• @jamieprey I like Oliver and Greyson
  • Hmmm I have never heard those nicknames before, that is super helpful.

Honestly I feel like the pregnancy hormones are getting to my head because yesterday I found myself thinking maybe Roger was kind of cute in a old-fashioned way.
  • @happymoni21 Roger isn't terrible, would DH be ok using it for a middle name? Or if that won't work you can always just call babes by his middle name I know people who have done that.

I think we've picked a girl name finally. I'm really leaning towards Elena. I never gave that name much thought but something just kind of clicked and DH is a fan as of right now so that's a win in itself.

• @chrissdee I love the idea of going literature themed! 
  • angelob88 I tried selling Roger as a middle name, or even Roger as the first name but then calling him his middle name/different name (all the men on my Dad's side of the family follow that tradition)...no dice. 

DH is now claiming that I told him if it was a boy he could pick the name...I have zero recollection of this (I am too picky to have given him carte blance when it comes to names) and suspect he has rewritten history.*

*Making DH sound a bit manipulative here but honestly the conversations between us on this have all been very lighthearted and fun. I swear we are both actually nice, rationale people. 
  • Now that we have a girl name we both like, the hard part is figuring out a middle name. I think Madeline Grace is beautiful, but I have 2 nieces with the middle name Grace. My mom suggests Faith, but I'm not sure I like the flow of it.
  • @chrissdee what is it about Grace that you like?

madeline rose? Madeline Claire?
  • @kangstadt what about Imogen? (Shakespeare’s Cymbeline) 
  • I am all over the place with names.

My current fave girl name is Imogen Violet and boy name is Rowan Sage.

DD is Amelie Maya.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @chrissdee I know several cousins that have the same middle name. So that’s completely normal. Is it a family name?
  • I just discovered the name Ciel and I think I love it.. it's simple and not common at all as far as I can tell. 
  • @lyse01, not sure DH would go for that, but I like it!

@wildcosmiclove, Rowen and Sage are both on my list of girl's names, although Rowen is already a middle name for someone in my family so it's out.  

@kaleesi93, how do you pronounce that?  Like seal?  Or more two syllables? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt in theory it's pronounced as see-elle.. but say it fast enough or a lot and it does end up sounding more like seal, maybe more like seel though
  • Our girls name is Lauren Marie, however we are having a boy, so we won't be using that.  We can not for the life of us agree on a boys name. 
    I love Thomas, Dylan, and Noah.  Middle name would be Edward.  He is set on naming a boy after himself and his dad, so Donald Edward III.  NOT GONNA HAPPEN!  
    He says he kind of likes Morgan, Miles, Graham, Theodore (nn Teddy) and just said ok to Samuel (Sam).  I will keep Edward as the middle name for any of these, as it was my grandpa's name and is his middle name.  
  • @aqualicious Graham is so adorable! 
  • @aqualicious: I like Graham too!

@wildcosmiclove: And Imogen! So pretty.