January 2019 Moms

Depression?

2»

Re: Depression?

• I have felt very similarly to what most have expressed here. I didn't feel connected at all until about 19 weeks, because I was just so scared of something bad happening. I have alot of anxiety about what could happen, and often think in my head "if I wasn't pregnant I could...." I feel so guilty for thinking that, because I truly want this baby very much, but it is how I feel sometimes. I find myself wishing these days away, so I can get back to or change the things I can't now. I am also struggling with bringing a baby home and not having enough time with dd1, which makes this pregnancy not as exciting. 

It's so, so important to talk about mental health, wtg to everyone who has expressed their feelings here. You're not alone!
  • Couple days late! Yes I was sick for a while last time, way longer than first tri but it was more of a "I can't eat that/anything, eew" after a while, rather than "I'm gonna puke if you touch me", like this time. Plus I worked way more and never even felt desperate enough for drugs. Now I'm just weaning off Diclegis at 23 weeks and I still don't think I'm quite ready. Feeling a lot more hopeless about it this time too! As for early breastfeeding it's definitely a slog, but I wound up breastfeeding my daughter literally forever and it became second nature. Hoping no new issues pop up like a tongue tie (no jinx) that complicates matters this time, but I think I took it soooooo personally last time that I be perfect at it, that I can't possibly hold  myself to that high of a standard this time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I also love this thread. Part of my loves being pregnant, especially after infertility. But part of me finds it uncomfortable and weird. Nothing wrong with that! 

Also, I wanted to share that doing something I love for baby made me feel more connected to her in case anyone is interested in trying that. I'm a knitter- been doing it for over 15 years and I recently knit her two baby hats. I picked yarn I love the feel of and the colors of and patterns I really like in my style. I made them and just focused on the excitement of creating something for my child when she is born.

Maybe if anyone is in to art like painting or crafts or even just decorating the nursery that is a nice way to connect without feeling like you have to love being pregnant.  Also because it is more focused on the end result than the pregnancy. Just throwing that out there.
  • I also love this thread. Part of my loves being pregnant, especially after infertility. But part of me finds it uncomfortable and weird. Nothing wrong with that! 

Also, I wanted to share that doing something I love for baby made me feel more connected to her in case anyone is interested in trying that. I'm a knitter- been doing it for over 15 years and I recently knit her two baby hats. I picked yarn I love the feel of and the colors of and patterns I really like in my style. I made them and just focused on the excitement of creating something for my child when she is born.

Maybe if anyone is in to art like painting or crafts or even just decorating the nursery that is a nice way to connect without feeling like you have to love being pregnant.  Also because it is more focused on the end result than the pregnancy. Just throwing that out there.
    I’ve been starting to sing and play guitar to her (so she’ll get used to it anyway) but also, a little guilty here: I notice she seems to settle down and pay attention if I sing to her (at least right now when I guess it’s new to her). And I sometimes do it when her activity is distracting:/ I do want her to move around if she needs to, but sometimes I DO sing to make her chill out lol