November 2018 Moms
Options

STM+ Chat - August

13»

Re: STM+ Chat - August

• Options
    DD found Blippi on her Amazon tablet.  At first I was like wtf, but it's actually pretty good for kids.  She loves him!  And I like his story too, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4581172/Meet-Blippi-veteran-turned-children-s-viral-superstar.html.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are exclusively a Sesame Street household. I’ve tried Daniel Tiger and other PBS shows and my 2 year old is not interested. Elmo is EVERYTHING right now. And while i actually like Sesame Street, we’ve been watching the same episodes over and over that are On Demand. I’m getting so tired of them. 

@lostarz14 I’ve heard of Blippi before and that kids love it. I need to check it out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MouseMama817 Yay for progress even if it involves lots of crying. I hope she continues to improve on that front. I know how exhausting it is when they boycott sleep. 

Y'all I need some help. Ds has been boycotting naps. Some would say he's ready to give them up, but that isn't true. On days he refuses to nap, he falls asleep whereverhe is and I have to wake him up because he will never sleep at night. The poor thing has bags under his eyes and it kills me to see him like that. On days he naps, he will sleep 2 to 2.5 (sometimes 3) hours because he is so tired. I'm at my wits end on it. I need him to nap so I can since I don't sleep well at night. Is this a typical 2.5 yo thing? For the life of me, I dont recall any major developmental leaps around this time. I know some of it is because he senses everything is about to change, and sees that I'm completely miserable. I just don't know what to do. We all need sleep in this house before baby comes and no one sleeps. 
  • Options
    @wildrainbow I have no advice but I have been wondering the same thing. This entire summer has been miserable as far as sleep for dd. She turned 2 in May. She has never fought naps or bedtime, ever and like you said I'm not familiar with a typical sleep regression around this age. We have been staying with my parents in CA since mid June and are headed back up to WA next Thursday so she and I have been staying in the same room, seperate beds. The first few nights were ok, but also followed 16 hours in the car so I think she was just happy to be here. Then boycotting naps started. She will scream at the top of her lungs while rubbing her eyes until anybody but me pops their head in and says they love her and ask her to go to sleep. My dad does it during the day and my mom does it at night. Progressively since we got here she went from screaming, head pops in, screaming stops, lay down fall asleep, to sit in the bedroom and play, kick walls, distract herself until later and later during nap and bedtime. The last two nights shes been up until midnight doing that and is just exhausted. I know she senses baby is coming because she's been talking more and more about baby "sister" even though we are team green and I know she knows we are going back home eventually just doesn't know when. Im hoping this just magically stops when we get back home next week but hearing others having sleep trouble makes me less confident. I hope your ds starts sleeping again very soon! 
  • Options
    @MouseMama817 yay!!!! You did it! Way to stay strong 

@wildrainbow we have had a few wonder weeks during the two year old age. Everything I read said it was normal - partly due to them understanding more that there are so many other fun things they would rather be doing! FWIW DD always grew out of it quickly and went back to sleeping well and then the cycle would repeat a few weeks/months later. What is he doing in there instead of sleeping? If he’s playing with stuffed animals you could threaten to take them. Or if not offer a new one and say “bunny wants to come nap with you so go straight to sleep so bunny can rest.” Or offer another reward (we get to go do X fun activity but only if you rest!) After nap. Even if none of this works, it will probably pass soon! I think you are right that it is too soon to consider giving it up. 

• Options
    @MouseMama817  great progress! i agree with the pp that said that the first three days are always the worst. keep at it!

@wildrainbow dd went through something similar about that age. it was around the same time her last molars were starting to erupt, but i can’t say for certain that’s what was up. i started letting her bring a few safe toys and books into bed and called it quiet time. she’d fall asleep after awhile some of the time. eventually it was every time for a little bit, then back to a full consistent nap again. consistency helped. i think some kids do drop nap earlyish, but at 2.5, it’s just a phase imo. a particularly annoying one, but it too should pass.
  • Options
    My DD is almost 3 and has recently decided she’s done with naps. I was not ready. Just one day it was over. But in hindsight I should have paid more attention. For awhile naps were a shitshow. She’d lay in bed, talking, singing, for a good 1.5 hr then eventually pass out. Come bedtime, it was even worse bc she wasn’t tired. She’d fight bedtime, getting later and later. Once we stopped naps, bedtime became awesome. She now goes to sleep earlier, easier, no fight, and sleeps in later in the morning. The days are looonnngggg without a break, BUT, I think it was her time and the pay off of easy bedtime and sleeping in definitely helps. 
  • Options
    MouseMama817MouseMama817 member
    edited August 2018
    @wildrainbow @wamam027 This is so rough, I'm sorry guys. I know every kid is different but I will say that DD is 3 and nowhere near ready to stop naps. About 6 or 7 months ago it seemed that she might have been-- she skipped naps for a couple of days and I even got comfortable making plans during nap times. But then one day I decided to put her down at her normal time and she went right back to napping as though we'd never stopped. She will get glassy-eyed, cranky, and destructive/goofy tornado toddler when it's time to go down. If ever she starts consistently fighting naps and no longer displays those behaviors, I'll know it's time to drop them.
    Based on what you two describe I wouldn't think either of your kiddos are ready to drop. Have you considered a sleep aid to get them back on track? Zarbee's makes a good one that's safe for 3+ (of course consult your ped first). 

Edited to include product link: https://www.instacart.com/cvs/products/2681876-zarbee-s-naturals-children-s-sleep-with-melatonin-chewable-tablets-natural-grape-flavor-dietary-supplement-30-ct
  • Options
    @MouseMama817 I've been considering doing melatonin for ds. He is a huge sleep fighter. I was just hoping to hold out a little longer, but I guess the time has come. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    If you do the melatonin route, **after talking with your pediatrician**, try giving a 1/4 or 1/2 of the 1 mg pill before the whole dose. I tried melatonin with DD a few weeks ago to see if it would help with her sleep issues. We got the Zarbees brand and I had read some reviews that recommended cutting the pill into halves or even quarters to try first. We started with a quarter of a pill and that thing had her asleep within 20 min of her taking it. It was glorious. I read that too high of a dose can have adverse effects and cause nightmares and such.  

It’s great for helping them fall asleep, but alas not for keeping them asleep, which is the issue we are (still) currently having. It did help her kind of reset her attitude going to bed though. We went from crying out for me every few minutes and getting out of her bed back to her easily laying in bed and falling asleep on her own. Now I just need to find the trick to keeping her asleep and in her bed all night. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Anyone else a third time mom and feeling like this third pregnancy is just terrible? Everything has been sooner and more intense. I’m just miserable all around! And I swear, now the pain and pressure is as bad already at 31 weeks as it was from 36 weeks on last time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Third time mom here. My second pregnancy was really tough during third trimester so I’m not feeling as miserable yet as I was then (I’m 31 Weeks) but I’m definitely feeling EVERYTHING sooner and much more intensely. My evenings are spent in a lot of pain and with a lot of pressure.  Plus my other two never stop moving and I have a pretty intense job so I’m basically a hot mess @runningyogimama
  • Options
    Finally got H to get the baby clothes. Is there a trick to get the stains out? I swear they werent stained when I put them up. Sheesh. 
  • Options
    @wildrainbow same thing happened to me! Oxyclean and Tide Ultra got most of them out. Ghost stains of spit up - who knew! 

• Options
    @lifesabeach85 Right? I was amazed at all the stains. I was like, I would have never put them up like this. I guess it's true that spit up always haunts you.
  • Options
    +1 for amazed at the spit up stains that weren’t there when I packed the clothes away! Wasn’t expecting that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    A bunch of my guys' stuff was stained, too, some of it really badly. 

Some things had never even been worn so I have no clue where the stains came from! :confounded:
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• Options
    Something to look forward to when I finally get around to pulling out DD’s stored clothes.  :s
  • Options
    Me too! MH pulled out all the baby clothes for me yesterday and some of them had awful stains. The small stains must yellow more with age or something. I got most of them out just by using Shout, although there are still some minor stains and a few pieces I couldn't salvage. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    Anyone else a third time mom and feeling like this third pregnancy is just terrible? Everything has been sooner and more intense. I’m just miserable all around! And I swear, now the pain and pressure is as bad already at 31 weeks as it was from 36 weeks on last time.  
    I'm an STM, but me too. I guess, all in all this pregnancy hasn't been awful for me, but I'm feeling so much more  uncomfortable this time around. I'm tired of getting tired just from doing the laundry. I've been walking up and down the stairs a lot today putting stuff away and I feel like the baby is about to fall out because of all the pressure. With my first, I honestly felt pretty comfortable up until the very end, so it's weird to me that I'm already feeling so much pressure! 
    It doesn't help that this baby seems to ball up more often than DD did, which adds a ton of pressure. A lot of the times, my belly just feels hard as a rock because she must be curling up into a ball or something. Ouch!
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3